• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
switch currently has six 10 million sellers:
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield
  • Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee!

these two games will soon (next quarter) join that club, bringing the number up to 8:
  • Splatoon 2
  • Super Mario Party

after that, there are at least 3 or 4 titles that are almost guaranteed to exist and pass 10 million:
  • Breath of the Wild 2
  • Animal Crossing New Horizons
  • Mario Odyssey 2
  • New Pokemon (gen 9 or gen 4 remakes)

that will bring the number of 10 million sellers up to 11 or 12, which means switch will pass Wii (9) and DS (10) to be the nintendo system with the most 10 million sellers.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo deserves a lot of credit for pulling off such an amazing comeback.

I think the lone maybe smallish disappointment is Mario Maker 2. The way the game took over social media for a bit I expected it to become a bigger hit but it seems like the market for that type of game is not gonna be other top tier Nintendo franchises

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
The software sales on switch continue to be amazing. BotW sales are incredibly impressive. The series is so old, but has never sold this well. Splatoon is solidifying itself as one of Nintendo's most powerful brands. Was hoping for more from FE but w/e. Astral Chain makes me happy tho.

Also Pokemon...wtf. This is the first Pokemon I havent picked up in years, and it ends up being the highest selling one in recent times lololol.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Astral Chain hitting 1M is Wonderful

Keep the Platinum collaborations coming Nintendo! I'm ready for 101 more.

(Now if only they had some masterpiece lying around for an easy port that was criminally overlooked on its first release)

Ultra

Oct 30, 2017
Hardware sales strong. Software is fucking nuts. Nintendo IP power is truly in a league of its own when it comes to exclusive selling power

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Obscene sales numbers. Everything the Switch touches turns to gold. Really reminiscent of the Wii/DS days.

Astral Chain above 1mi made my day.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
MK8D is a goddamn monster. I still remember people were arguing that it wont do that much on Switch coz it didnt do anything on WiiU lmao

"People who wanted to play Mario Kart 8 already did that on Wii U so they are not going to buy it on Switch again."

I remember that sentiment people had before the Switch launched. And while it's true that not every Wii U owner would double dip people forgot that there was a whole audience out there who hasn't played a Mario Kart for a while.

FGPack

Jan 19, 2020
Italy
I don't wanna even imagine what would happen, after Animal Crossing, if we get a brand new Monster Hunter. Damn you Capcom ç.ç

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Glad to see Luigi is eating good, I'll get on that after Odyssey. SwSh numbers are going to reach 20M easily this year and GF still sadly continue down the sad path of barely any innovation. Smash needs to sell more, that bad boy needs to reach 30M units.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
It's striking to witness that when the hardware is desirable, software sales can express their full potential. 3ds (small 240p screen) and WiiU (lol) really hold back some software.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
So uhm, is it me or would this put it significantly above even PS4s worldwide sales at the time?

From March 2017 to December 2019 is 34 months, leading to 52.48M sales.
PS4 released in November, but let's say December due to the staggered release, 2013. 34 Months out is September 2016. According to Wikipedia, PS4 was at 40M in May 2016 and 50M in December 2016. So say about 45M?

Of course the release timing is a bit different, but at this point they would have the same amount of holidays?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Seems they are still heeding the lesson from last year about not overshooting their forecasts. 19.5M aka 1.8M in Q4 will be easily demolished.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
you know whats fucking crazy? MK8 just had the best quarter it has ever experienced. 2.5 years into its life. 5.5 even, if you want to count it from the wii u.

also, i knew astral chain would have a massive digital share... but two thirds of its sales being digital is insane.
Here's a revenue and profit graph by Zhuge, that's probably the best comparison to make:

Switch revenue and profit rival the Wii+DS era, although the latter is still above Switch era.

i find it very odd that their net revenue was down year on year this quarter? i know 2018 was boosted significantly by smash, but you'd think pokemon + legacy game sales + much higher hardware sales would give it an increase yoy.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
you know whats fucking crazy? MK8 just had the best quarter it has ever experienced. 2.5 years into its life. 5.5 even, if you want to count it from the wii u.

also, i knew astral chain would have a massive digital share... but two thirds of its sales being digital is insane.

i find it very odd that their net revenue was down year on year this quarter? i know 2018 was boosted significantly by smash, but you'd think pokemon + legacy game sales + much higher hardware sales would give it an increase yoy.
The Lite costs 100$ less than the standard Switch and represented a big share of their HW sales.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Considering Persona 5's current sales numbers were at 3.2 mil last I checked, I feel like 2.85 million sales is pretty solid for FE: Three Houses in a fraction of the time (2017 vs 2019).

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
I don't wanna even imagine what would happen, after Animal Crossing, if we get a brand new Monster Hunter. Damn you Capcom ç.ç

They should just make their own one, it would sell well and then they wouldn't have to worry about it with future consoles.
I know it's not really what Nintendo do but it would work.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
So uhm, is it me or would this put it significantly above even PS4s worldwide sales at the time?

PS4 released in November, but let's say December due to the staggered release, 2013. 34 Months out is September 2016. According to Wikipedia, PS4 was at 40M in May 2016 and 50M in December 2016. So say about 45M?

Of course the release timing is a bit different, but at this point they would have the same amount of holidays?
PS4 was at 57.1M shipped as of December 2016.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Hmm, I haven't seen any report say that specifically a new gen system would come, only that a new Switch revision (a category which fits anything from Switch Lite, Switch Pro, and Switch 2) is coming. A 3.5 year generations would be unprecedented, even the WiiU got 4.5 years. I wouldn't expect a new gen Switch until 2023 myself.

I wonder if Switch does get a revision and there is a distinction between software if people are going to consider it still gen 8. Nintendo will be gen 8 till the end of time.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

because of the holiday timing you'll notice their sales charts wind around each other in a helix. whichever had the most recent holiday leads.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017

Graph by ZHugeEX:

EPg5i6bX0AYWEj5

Graph with comparisons with past Nintendo consoles (3DS is going to eat the dust from this point in time on).

EPg6BqbX0AAAs8y

Last edited:

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada

It's about 5m ahead of PS4 launch aligned, but the gap will be more narrow after this quarter. Switch launched in March while PS4 launched in November, so Switch had the benefit of both a launch quarter and holiday quarter in its first year while PS4 didn't.

Not sure of the actual month breakdown, but PS4 was at 47.4m after 12 quarters.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Pokémon Let's Go and Smash combined probably made for a big amount of revenue. Hardware revenue is attenuated this quarter due to the Lite, while profit is probably untouched. That could explain the discrepancy.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see Luigi is eating good, I'll get on that after Odyssey. SwSh numbers are going to reach 20M easily this year and GF still sadly continue down the sad path of barely any innovation. Smash needs to sell more, that bad boy needs to reach 30M units.
One of the reason Sw/Sh is legging so well is thanks to its additions (mainly the Raids). Don't really want to go into that argument again but saying "it does not have any significant innovation" is inaccurate.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Graph by ZHugeEX:

EPg5i6bX0AYWEj5

Graph which with comparisons with past Nintendo consoles (3DS is going to eat the dust from this point in time).
Thanks! On visual inspection it would be very close from now on whether Switch stays ahead or ducks under PS4 again, but at the same time, the fourth and fifth years of PS4 were uncharacteristically strong.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
MK8 will probably outsell MKWii LTD at this point. Thank goodness, because MKWii is one of the worst entries.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
As a long time Nintendo fan, it's awesome to see switch doing so well. I'm seriously considering waiting on ps5 since I barely touch my ps4 now (haven't played anything since division 2). If you told me that 3 years ago I'd think you're crazy.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Thanks! On visual inspection it would be very close from now on whether Switch stays ahead or ducks under PS4 again, but at the same time, the fourth and fifth years of PS4 were uncharacteristically strong.
Not that uncharacteristic. PS3 and Xbox 360 both had very strong late life. 360 in particular peaked in its 7th(!) year on market while PS3 almost hit its peak in the 6th. And of course the PS2 is famous for selling like another 40m units after its successor was already out.

It's mostly just Nintendo systems that don't typically have those strong late life legs.

Jun 10, 2018
Switch really is the GBA redux.

I always wondered how the original GBA would've performed had it been given a full life. The market circumstances are assuredly different this time around, but Switch may be the closest I get to an answer.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

A lot of the increased hardware sales is due to the Switch Lite, which is $100 cheaper than the regular Switch. That probably has a lot to do with it. They sold more systems, but selling the Lite cut into the extra revenue of the OG.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
It's about 5m ahead of PS4 launch aligned, but the gap will be more narrow after this quarter. Switch launched in March while PS4 launched in November, so Switch had the benefit of both a launch quarter and holiday quarter in its first year while PS4 didn't.

Not sure of the actual month breakdown, but PS4 was at 47.4m after 12 quarters.

PS4 in part also had a launch quarter. While it may be possible to say that since it launched in fall that the launch got nullified by holiday quarter, but there are countries that it did not launch in until after the holiday quarter, very close to the same time the Switch launched... Surely if it didn't benefit from the launch before the holidays it did from the launch after the holidays.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
I wasn't aware that Switch was selling like that.
It seems good news for them, but lastly they went from a two consoles model to a single one..
Going from two consoles to one has been a sound business decision and i would argue is a massive part of the switch's success. It's meant all the dev teams can constantly work on games leaving no huge droughts or delays and keeping people hooked.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
One of the reason Sw/Sh is legging so well is thanks to its additions (mainly the Raids). Don't really want to go into that argument again but saying "it does not have any significant innovation" is inaccurate.
Point taken. As an ex hardcore Go player, Raids were something that interested me a lot during the initial reveal. I would say SwSh are doing well despite their shortcomings though, I've had that game since release and after the 8th medal I haven't touched the game at all.

Joedev

Apr 24, 2018
Kinda crazy how many of Nintendo's 2019 games were million sellers:

NSMBDX
Mario Maker 2
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Link's Awakening
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
Luigi's Mansion 3
Astral Chain
Ring Fit Adventure
Pokemon Sword and Shield

9 new million sellers... and add that to their evergreen titles that are also million sellers!

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
Is 20 million on the table now?
it always was.

The Lite costs 100$ less than the standard Switch and represented a big share of their HW sales.
Pokémon Let's Go and Smash combined probably made for a big amount of revenue. Hardware revenue is attenuated this quarter due to the Lite, while profit is probably untouched. That could explain the discrepancy.
A lot of the increased hardware sales is due to the Switch Lite, which is $100 cheaper than the regular Switch. That probably has a lot to do with it. They sold more systems, but selling the Lite cut into the extra revenue of the OG.
ugh, of course. can't believe i forgot to factor in the lite's difference in price. thanks

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
If PS4 is the beast we need a new unique equally ferocious name for Switch.

The strategy to combine development was sounds, Switch will be another 100 million seller more than likely.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Show me numbers not people. Dude's saying it didn't pass Xbox One last year not this year.
The guy is basically MS PR anyway.
He also had a thread where he said Switch outsold Xbox, but it does not matter because MS only makes 6% of their revenue from Xbox, because MS is a Megacorp that does gaming on the side, while Nintendo is a Gaming company all the way.
Basically, dont mention XB unless its doing good, and never compare it if the comp isnt favorable.