• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, if it scores above 95 on Metacritic, it's gonna push some numbers.

As fun as it is remind some of the more zealous Metroid fans that their series actually sells less than something like Kirby, that might actually change in the future.
It's time man. It's time to change the future of Metroid just like BotW exploded Zelda. MP4 doesn't have to explode the series to that extent, but I want it to become a consistent 4+ million seller.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Well that's a quite hyberbolic statement. I think a huge part why Switch is so successful is that finally more mainstream gamers are seeing decent third party support on Nintendo hardware. And as they have already put out most of their big hitters, I guess Nintendo output will start drying up at some point. I'd like to believe that it'll be different this time round, but so far Nintendo has never been good with maintaining a steady stream of software during the later parts of the console life cycle - at least not since the SNES.
It is. But i´m willing to bet that PS5 and Scarett are not really going to hurt the Switch baseline. As long as Nintendo doesn´t shit the bed regarding software support they will be fine unti the Switch 2 arrives.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely a good Q2 for Nintendo. They've actually surpassed Sony's gaming division in operating income/profit this quarter, if I'm reading this right.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Exactly. People are focusing way too much just on numbers. Historically Nintendo systems faced much steeper declines and also shorter life cycles all around – including very successful ones such as the Wii. Pretty sure the Switch will be seeing a similar fate, especially with the PS5/Nextbox around the corner. Then third-party support should be drying up fast and not sure what Nintendo could have up their sleeves to make the Switch last till 100 million units.

Part of the reason for that is because Nintendo themselves abandons the system. Like they left the Wii to die to focused on the 3DS. The same happened with the DS, but it was far less noticeable since 3rd party Japanese companies kept the DS alive.

This won't be the fate of the Switch since Nintendo won't take a year off from it to focused on a handheld.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Sword & Shield is going to be nuts if it continues the trend of Switch iterations surpassing 3DS

Godsent

Jan 11, 2019
I think it is a bigger part of success than people think. Perhaps not when only looking at the sales numbers, but I think people underestimate the feeling/vibe it creates around a console.
People buy a console – making an investment into a platform – when they feel confident that the system is/will be successful; that is has traction. Now this is of course anecdotal evidence, but so many people around me bought their Switch mentioning the third party support ("even this and this game is on the Switch"). So I'd say the indirect effect of third party support should not be underestimated.

That's a fair point, although the switch line-up is also drastically different from the wii line-up, there're a lot more 'core' games and we can also expect annual pokemon releases for years to come.. so there's a good chance that the sale trajectory may look different from wii's.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Switch will be targeting a different price range and demo by the time PS5 and Scarlett will have established themselves.

I sincerely doubt that a person jonesing for $200 Lite to play Animal Crossing will abandon that desire to buy $500 next gen box to play AAA action games with latest graphics.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps but honestly, why should we care? PS4 is on the leave while switch is in its prime, so the comparison doesn't make sense except some console war bullshit...
It's still a good benchmark, as a large % of SGD revenue is coming from PSN/digital sales on a 100M+ user base, so Nintendo being able to compete with that is impressive.

Fintendo

Jun 5, 2019
Bold prediction: Nintendo will go ballsy this Black Friday and sell 12 million consoles next quarter to sell 21 million consoles this fiscal year.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Outstanding. It blows my mind that outside of Forza Horizon basically no one else is making arcade racers because they can't sell them.... Meanwhile Mario Kart 8 is closing in on 20 million (not including Wii U!). Mind you I'm totally happy with those sales because MK8 is one of the very few games I've purchased twice because I like it so much. Less thrilled by Smash beasting all other fighters because it just doesn't do it for me, but credit where it's due!
Nintendo has a bunch of genre kings.
When the genre is mature enough only the strongest series will still keep getting high sales but just because a new game in the genre king franchise set sales record doesn't mean there is room for other companies to release high budget games to compete with it and rakes in high sales too.

Super Mario Odyssey has become the best selling 3D platform game ever. Do you see anywhere a resurgence of the genre?
What about Super Mario Party which is set to become the best selling Party game ever?
Who is competing with Mario Tennis Aces?

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
It's time man. It's time to change the future of Metroid just like BotW exploded Zelda. MP4 doesn't have to explode the series to that extent, but I want it to become a consistent 4+ million seller.

Breath of the Wild also had the benefit of being a launch game, while Metroid will be a late to last generation game. That and Breath of the Wild reinvented Zelda while Prime 4 is more a return to form after Other M. So while I do think it will be the best selling Metroid game, late to last generation games don't usually hit 5 million outside of something like Last of Us.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Do you see anywhere a resurgence of the genre?
A minor one?

Absolutely. Crash and Spyro just got a new lease on life with the success of the remakes. There's a successful indie one in the form of A Hat in Time (with more and more indie takes popping up). Sony just produced a 3D platformer in the critical ballpark of the plumber himself and so on.

So yeah, a minor one is totally happening right now.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Breath of the Wild also had the benefit of being a launch game, while Metroid will be a late to last generation game. That and Breath of the Wild reinvented Zelda while Prime 4 is more a return to form after Other M. So while I do think it will be the best selling Metroid game, late to last generation games don't usually hit 5 million outside of something like Last of Us.
It may not hit 5, but over 4 million would be great at least. No matter what it should be the best selling Metroid game.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Come on Nintendo. Time for F-Zero, a BotW Star Fox, Diddy Kong Racing, Eternal Darkness 2, Star Tropics 3D reboot

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
It may not hit 5, but over 4 million would be great at least. No matter what it should be the best selling Metroid game.

I see it closer to 3 million than 4. In other words, it's more Fire Emblem Awakening level of franchise boost. Of course, this depends on what kind of game Prime 4 ends up being.

TanookiTom

Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
It is. But i´m willing to bet that PS5 and Scarett are not really going to hurt the Switch baseline. As long as Nintendo doesn´t shit the bed regarding software support they will be fine unti the Switch 2 arrives.

This is also what I am very skeptical about, but they do seem to do things differently this time round, so let's keep hoping.

Part of the reason for that is because Nintendo themselves abandons the system. Like they left the Wii to die to focused on the 3DS. The same happened with the DS, but it was far less noticeable since 3rd party Japanese companies kept the DS alive.

This won't be the fate of the Switch since Nintendo won't take a year off from it to focused on a handheld.

I sure hope so! But as I wrote above I am also skeptical. They will have to change up things on a large scale regarding handling their own IPs etc. I know that they have started doing it already (BOTW > Link's Awakening > BOTW 2 > .Another Remake/2D zelda?) but yeah, will be exciting to see!

That's a fair point, although the switch line-up is also drastically different from the wii line-up, there're a lot more 'core' games and we can also expect annual pokemon releases for years to come.. so there's a good chance that the sale trajectory may look different from wii's.

Also very good points. Next years' E3 should be particularly exciting for Nintendo as well.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo has a bunch of genre kings.
When the genre is mature enough only the strongest series will still keep getting high sales but just because a new game in the genre king franchise set sales record doesn't mean there is room for other companies to release high budget games to compete with it and rakes in high sales too.

Super Mario Odyssey has become the best selling 3D platform game ever. Do you see anywhere a resurgence of the genre?
What about Super Mario Party which is set to become the best selling Party game ever?
Who is competing with Mario Tennis Aces?

Yeah you are totally right. I do think there is room for success in those genres though. It's not like Mario Party or Mario Tennis are unapproachable in terms of quality. But 3D platformers? Nintendo have been unmatched in that space for decades!

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity, what is it about Three Houses that is decidedly not to your liking?

I know you're not one of the traditionalist fans espousing pre-Awakening games.
Basically I don't like alternate routes stuff (absolutely hated it in Fates), roleplaying and avatar main character. Gameplay changes seemed eh to me, but I didn't play it, so I guess this point I can't say judge too much.

It looks like a decent game, it's just not what I want.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the time is NOW if nintendo wants to revive any of their other dormant series. everything they're doing is selling well, and people with switches are buying a ton of games.

Last edited:

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
the BotW growth is showing. i would have never expected LA remake to open that high. guess we'll be seeing many more remakes now since these are being made for a new audience that never played the originals (hoping for the Oracles next)

we still don't know if Prime 4 will be more of the same or if it will reinvent Metroid like BotW reinvented Zelda.

imo they have to reinvent Metroid to make it grow. the current formula has hit its limit already.

Oct 25, 2017
A minor one?

Absolutely. Crash and Spyro just got a new lease on life with the success of the remakes. There's a successful indie one in the form of A Hat in Time (with more and more indie takes popping up). Sony just produced a 3D platformer in the critical ballpark of the plumber himself and so on.

So yeah, a minor one is totally happening right now.
I agree that through re-established franchises and the smaller games the genre is having a small resurgence, but Celine means a more mainstream resurgence. Mario still eclipses all of those games, and so far it really is only Activision that's willing to establish itself as a competitor in this field again after the fall of Skylanders. The market is an ivory tower situated on a pond.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Funny because for years people say the opposite would happened. Keep telling people that a level making game wasn't the same as an official Mario platfeormer.

Two games being able to coexist doesn't man they wouldn't affect each other's sales, especially when released this close to each other. Also, I doubt people said "the opposite" would happen.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely a good Q2 for Nintendo. They've actually surpassed Sony's gaming division in operating income/profit this quarter, if I'm reading this right.

What were both in $? Mr. Iwata always talked about "a return to Nintendo like profits" have they done that number?

Just give me that Odyssey 2 announcement Nintendo!

Next E3... SMO 2 / BotW 2 info blowout. Both released in the second half of 2020 :P

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I agree that through re-established franchises and the smaller games the genre is having a small resurgence, but Celine means a more mainstream resurgence. Mario still eclipses all of those games, and so far it really is only Activision that's willing to establish itself as a competitor in this field again after the fall of Skylanders. The market is an ivory tower situated on a pond.

That and those big games were remakes. Let's see how a from the grounds up new 3D game does before we can official call the genre revived. Also, Mario so far is the only platfeormer that gets away with a $60 price tag.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How in the world is Mario Maker so far behind NSMBUD? I know the first half of the year was a little empty, but it wasn't that empty