• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
While Fortnite had an impact, it is not a PS4 seller. Fortnite is available on all platforms including cell phones. What Sony could not predict is that God of War would drop in April and break records, only to be followed by Spider-Man in September breaking the same records God of War set only months earlier. It was a one-two punch they couldn't anticipate.

Benji suggested that Fortnite had a impact on console hardware sales and it seems logical

In the case of Sony, that 16m-forecast was reasonable at that time and expected but like you said above, God of War and Spider-Man exceeded expectations

Not the same case with Nintendo where they lowball their forecast by 3m just 1 quarter before FY report

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
*Checks calendar for when Smash came out*

WHAT. THE. FUCK.
Pokemon almost matching XY which was a new gen bundled in the west with a significantly cheaper piece of hardware compared to Let's Go being a casualized Remake on far more expensive hardware, with a month less time and a weak state in Japan is even more What The Fuck. Gen 8 and a revision are gonna be some insane numbers.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
It's clear to me that Nintendo expected way more from Labo. In fact Q1/ Q2 results were nothing special , but in Q3 they did really well thanks to MK bundle, Pokemon and of course Smash which is the fastest selling home title ever for N.

Oct 25, 2017
A really great result for software, especially Smash, which is doing bonkers (and for good reason).

The HW revision seems a tad drastic.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Pokemon almost matching XY which was a new gen bundled in the west with a significantly cheaper piece of hardware compared to Let's Go being a casualized Remake on far more expensive hardware, with a month less time and a weak state in Japan is even more What The Fuck. Gen 8 and a revision are gonna be some insane numbers.
Just "what the fuck" all around

Switch is a monster

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Now that we have data from both Sony and Nintendo (i think?) do we know who sold the most to consumers in 2018?

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
What is the Mario sports game that has sold the most? Not counting Mario and Sonic.

I'm curious about the position of Mario Tennis Aces, it seems to be doing great.

joeposh

Oct 27, 2017
Good God at that Smash number. I knew it would be big, but 12 million in one month big? That's insane.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Look at those Pokemon numbers. Just look at them. They are going to rake it in come Animal Crossing and New Pokemon. Holy shit.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Thanks. How much did PS4 shipped during that time?

Sony sold more for the calendar year. There's no thread on it, which is what I was looking for as it was a big topic of discussion and there was a thread on Switch selling more in the U.S. and several other countries. But Nintendo shipped 17.4 million units for the calendar year and Sony sold, not shipped, 18 million units.

One of you people who can make threads should make that one.

We don't have Q3 shipped number but we have 2018 PS4 sold through number from Sony press release which is 18 M IIRC.

Is Nintendo's number not 17.4 or am I mistaken?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Now that we have data from both Sony and Nintendo (i think?) do we know who sold the most to consumers in 2018?
Apples to Oranges since we have sell-through for PS4 (18m) vs sell-in for Switch (17.41m).

We'll get the equivalent PS4 figure Feb 1st though but I suspect PS4 will take it. PS4 is at 9.6m without Q4, they did 9m last year and while this year has seemed softer for holiday sell-through they only need 7.82m sell-in to pass Switch.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Sony sold more for the calendar year. There's no thread on it, which is what I was looking for as it was a big topic of discussion and there was a thread on Switch selling more in the U.S. and several other countries. But Nintendo shipped 17.4 million units for the calendar year and Sony sold, not shipped, 18 million units.

It's 17.4 M yes.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if it's been covered already, but do we have any indication of how well Nintendo Switch Online is doing in terms of subs/revenue?

Wrellie

Oct 29, 2017
Tbh, the majority of Era was off on the prediction it seems.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ho...20-million-target-for-switch-this-year.45665/

Software sales are absolutely ridiculous, hardware a little less so. But launch aligned the Switch is still doing better than pretty much everything else, so Nintendo were simply too bold with their hardware prediction, and most of Era with them.

Someone needs to make a fiscal year prediction thread. Put me down for 17.5 million. Which means I agree with the sub-20 million mark. The 10 million seems ridiculous.

Posted this back on June 11th.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

I'd advise waiting a day (for Sony's release) before making that thread, since it is possible to have sold through more than you shipped. It's very likely PS4 is higher in sell through and sell in for the year but we'll get confirmation of that in a day.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017

No, Sell-in =/= Sell-through. Sony selling 18m this CY doesn't necessairily mean they shipped that, though they probably did.

And the Switch figure is 17.41m.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Nice thread layout. Easy to follow even on mobile

Thanks.

Sorry if it's been covered already, but do we have any indication of how well Nintendo Switch Online is doing in terms of subs/revenue?

We don't know because:
Code:
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|                                          | This Quarter  | FY Cumulative |
| Digital Sales                            |         ¥45.0B|         ¥84.2B|

(※ Digital sales include downloadable versions of packaged software,

download-only software, add-on content and Nintendo Switch Online.)

Edit: For the FY Cumulative figure above, it's almost doubled YoY.

Last edited:

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
I remember the times when Nintendo forecasts were super conservative and they had no problems blowing through them. Sigh. Great software sales tho. Encouraging.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting Q4 to be 3.5M-4M shipped, so they'll hit 18-18.5M for the FY.

Analysts and investors seem pretty surprised they revised down all the way to 17M and only revised up software by 10M. 18M and 125M probably would be more accurate.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Overshipped? It does seem like a pretty drastic reduction

We'll see what they say at the results briefing tonight but I'd be a bit surprised if it was overshipped, considering we do have sell-through numbers for the major territories and they seem to line up well with these shipments.

And overshipping hardware wouldn't explain shooting so low for software too. Maybe they just really want to be more conservative with forecasts from now on.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017

Analysts and investors seem pretty surprised they revised down all the way to 17M and only revised up software by 10M. 18M and 125M probably would be more accurate.

Don't you think that's too high? For example PS4 never shipped more than 3.3 in Q4 and it had much better line ups for the period. I just don't see them shipping that much.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Don't you think that's too high? For example PS4 never shipped more than 3.3 in Q4 and it had much better line ups for the period. I just don't see them shipping that much.

Nintendo shipped 2.97M in Q4 last year with virtually nothing, on the back of Mario Odyssey launching in October. This year the momentum into January is much stronger, along with a much, much stronger title than anything they had last year in NSMBUDX. We have numbers in Japan showing very strong YOY growth too.

I don't see how they don't outperform last year's Q4 by at least 15-20%.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo shipped 2.97M in Q4 last year with virtually nothing, on the back of Mario Odyssey launching in October. This year the momentum into January is much stronger, along with a much, much stronger title than anything they had last year in NSMBUDX. We have numbers in Japan showing very strong YOY growth too.

You're forgetting they shipped a lot more in Q3 compared to last FY. I'm not expecting Nintendo to release any new games besides Yoshi this quarter and I'm not expecting more than 18 million Switch HW units for the FY.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017

Well it seems like Q4 last year was overshipped because Q1 was only 1.88M. I think they set it to 17M becase they weren't confident they would beat 18M and they want a target they can beat and I think 3.5M is the highest they can get though I don't consider it realistic. Something more like 2.5-3M is what I'm expecting. Anyway we shall see in 3 months.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017

Last year the switch was sold out worldwide by the end of Q3. Q4 overshipped to get stock in the channels. This year that is NOT the case and they still have leftover stock from Q3. There is no way that Nintendo will beat last years Q4

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
You're forgetting they shipped a lot more in Q3 compared to last FY. I'm not expecting Nintendo to release any new games besides Yoshi this quarter and I'm not expecting more than 18 million Switch HW units for the FY.

I mean, if they overshipped in Q3 then yeah maybe those numbers won't be possible for Q4 but right now I'm not sure if we have any indication of that. Sell through for the US and Japan seem to line up fairly well with the 9.42M shipment number. US sales are typically something like ~35% of global sales and that ratio seems to hold true for Q3 this year too, just like it did for Q3 last year.

Well it seems like Q4 last year was overshipped because Q1 was only 1.88M. I think they set it to 17M becase they weren't confident they would beat 18M and they want a target they can beat I think 3.5M is the highest they can get.

That's true, I forgot about the indications from last year that they had overshipped Q4. Still, I expect demand to be higher this year than it was last year overall but whether that leads to 15-20% more shipments isn't certain I suppose.

Mare

Alt account
Banned
Jan 28, 2019
FOr

whatevr reason they are 100% lowballing, cause even after the software increase they kept the Financial Forecast the same. So basically they moved one up and moved the other down on equal measurement to balance it out

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
Switch software is insane. Their FY18 forecast of 110M is laughable.

Quarterly First Party Software + Hardware Shipments

0F6qkCi.png

BOTW CY 2017: 6,700,000 (~10 months)
BOTW CY 2018: 4,980,000 (-25.7%)

Should be a strong Q4 for BOTW - new hardware adopters alongside Pokemon/Smash will continue to pick this up. But I think the legs will look really impressive post Animal-Crossing. That should draw the female demo big time, and I imagine that of the current evergreens, BOTW probably has the strongest appeal in that demo.

Still think it can slow march to 20M shipped with Wii U. I am guessing at a FY2020 Q3 launch for the next 3D Zelda (would be ~44 months of dev time if they began right after BOTW's release), which theoretically would kill its legs. So ~3.25M shipped in CY 2019 (-35%) and another ~2.0M in CY 2020 (-38%) would be just under 17M when the next title launches, and just under 19M with Wii U added in (>1.5M sell-through as of Dec 2017). Another million or so shipped after that for however many years does not sound crazy (especially if it eventually gets "Selects"-type status, plus bundles late in NSW's lifetime).

Either way, this is uncharted territory for a franchise turning 33 this month. Between SW/DLC/Amiibos/Add-ons/Accessories, this is by far the revenue peak for the series.

--

MK8D CY 2017: 7,330,000 (<9 months)
MK8D CY 2018: 7,690,000 (+4.9%)

Should have a soft drop this year, but who the hell knows? I think it's targeting a 35M LTD right now, with no expectation of MK9 on the horizon. It shipped 85% of the Wii U version's LTD (8.42M) in the first year and >90% of its LTD in the second year, and its not even receiving strong DLC support, though it did have a solid bundle in Nov (US) and Dec (Eur). If Nintendo throws something its way, I would not be surprised if it stays flat in 2019 - around 22.5M by the end of the year with no signs of stopping (MK Wii is still charting on Amazon US Top 100 weekly SW to this day). Remarkable SW performance.

--

SMO CY 2017: 9,070,000 (>2 months)
SMO CY 2018: 4,690,000 (-48.3%)

SMO has stabilized in the 2nd half of 2018 despite actually shipping less this calendar year than BOTW did.

Given no DLC support so far, I think a sequel is definitely in the works. Spring 2020 seems possible IMO - it would be the same pattern as the Galaxy series followed if they push it out sometime in April - Jun 2020 (Nov 2007 > May 2010), exactly 10 years later. Given that, I think 20M might be a stretch. A 30-40% drop this year puts it on target for another 3M, so approaching 17M by the end of the year. I think a good % of the 3M target after that would have to come prior to a sequel. Still, stunning peak performance for the 3D Mario sub-series. Only good signs ahead.

--

Pokemon is blazing. Sales-wise it hardly missed a beat despite being priced 50% higher than past entries. It's pacing ahead of SMO from last year with a later release week, and basically matching SSBU's performance outside of Japan. I'm sure its legs will tail off with the release of gen 8 later this year (which might be record-setting for a Nintendo release, especially on the revenue side), but a hardware price-cut or lite/cheaper revision might help mitigate that throughout the first 3 quarters. I think we all know that more of these LG titles are on the way.

--

Smash is unbelievable, much has already been said. Given momentum from the late calendar release, potential HW revisions/price-cuts, and a full year of DLC support en-route, I think it pushes out another 7-8M shipped in 2019, targeting 20M by the end of the year and then tacking on another 35-50% of that figure for an LTD in the 25-30M.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Last year the switch was sold out worldwide by the end of Q3. Q4 overshipped to get stock in the channels. This year that is NOT the case and they still have leftover stock from Q3. There is no way that Nintendo will beat last years Q4

This is not true, it was sold out in Japan at the end of Q3, not worldwide. US had some stock issues towards the end of December but those were isolated. But in January there were no stock issues anywhere but Japan, and even those subsided by the beginning of February.