• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
Assuming everything will come in time is also a risky proposition when some games only have a vague "2019" release date; especially if we haven't seen a single second of gameplay.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Pokemon and Animal Crossing the only confirmed 2019 that we haven't seen gameplay of? And those games don't seem especially likely to miss 2019, since they are likely to be the year's biggest system sellers.

I know we haven't seen any footage of Metroid Prime 4 or Bayonetta 3 yet, but we also have no release date for either game, and I think most people in this thread would argue that 2019 could still be an excellent year without them.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Pokemon and Animal Crossing the only confirmed 2019 that we haven't seen gameplay of? And those games don't seem especially likely to miss 2019, since they are likely to be the year's biggest system sellers.

I know we haven't seen any footage of Metroid Prime 4 or Bayonetta 3 yet, but we also have no release date for either game, and I think most people in this thread would argue that 2019 could still be an excellent year without them.

Yeah and I really doubt Pokemon gets delayed. Pokemon rarely gets delayed from what I remember.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo

You may be right. That being said, we saw footage Yoshi in 2017 and that didn't prevent the game from being delayed.
Luigi's Mansion looked pretty rough on the reveal trailer for example, and seeing it delayed to early 2020 is not impossible.
Again, 2019 may end up very good, but with 2018 in a hindsight, it's reasonable to be cautious.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
You may be right. That being said, we saw footage Yoshi in 2017 and that didn't prevent the game from being delayed.
Luigi's Mansion looked pretty rough on the reveal trailer for example, and seeing it delayed to early 2020 is not impossible.
Again, 2019 may end up very good, but with 2018 in a hindsight, it's reasonable to be cautious.

Think about it like this:

Last December we knew of very little for 2018. Basically Kirby, Yoshi and FE, and that's about it. We didn't know about the two biggest games of the year, Smash and Pokemon LG.

This December we know of two huge games for 2019, Pokemon gen 8 and Animal Crossing. On top of a whole host of other titles. So just imagine what we don't yet know.

It's certainly possible things can get delayed but you can surely see why there's more optimism for 2019, right?

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SMTV is a confirmed exclusive and the last EO trailer gave a few clues about coming to the Switch so I don't know why it can't happen.
SMTV is also nowhere to be seen and the franchise managed to get snubbed for Persona even by Nintendo. I don't think we will see many more SMT titles like they used to make tbh.

About EO: they talked about a new platform without dual screens. That could be mobile.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
SMTV is also nowhere to be seen and the franchise managed to get snubbed for Persona even by Nintendo. I don't think we will see many more SMT titles like they used to make tbh.

About EO: they talked about a new platform without dual screens. That could be mobile.

I don't know what the first point has to do with this.

About the second, "to the next stage" seems like a clear hint.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
It's certainly possible things can get delayed but you can surely see why there's more optimism for 2019, right?

I see. I actually am more optimistic myself for next year.
I was just answering to the "2019 is shaping up as Nintendo's best year" thing by saying that it gave me groundhog day vibes. In late 2017, there was also a lot of reasons to be optimistic about Nintendo's 2018, starting with them coming out of a solid year with seemingly a new found energy, the promises of a higher software output by focusing on a single plateform, emphasizing that the second year was very important and putting lofty sales targets. At that time, the narrative was "if they intend to seem 20 millions, they surely have loads of heavy hitters! I'm so excited he next direct."
Eventually, they had smash and Pokemon remake for the end of the year, and the rest was mostly cruising. So for 2019, I'll be team cautious even more.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Just better to not assume everything locked as 2019.

Then that's not Metroid anymore.

Times change and so do games. Im a big fan of the Prime series but if you want it to move lots of units you will need to go big, open world and ideally co op. It will most surely still be Metroid, but more to how Zelda botw is still a Zelda yet is very different from previous entries.

The most simple theory is that it is Switch, since they never made a mobile game and mobile is a completely different market. I don't even know how they would fit in the EO concept in there. Even if they do go mobile, they'd probably just outsource it.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I see. I actually am more optimistic myself for next year.
I was just answering to the "2019 is shaping up as Nintendo's best year" thing by saying that it gave me groundhog day vibes. In late 2017, there was also a lot of reasons to be optimistic about Nintendo's 2018, starting with them emphasizing that the second year was very important and putting lofty sales target. At that time, the narrative was "if they intend to seem 20 millions, they surely have loads of heavy hitters! I'm so excited he next direct."
Eventually, they had smash and Pokemon remake for the end of the year, and the rest was mostly cruising. So for 2019, I'll be team cautious even more.

Yeah I'm not on the "best year ever" train just yet either, especially because nothing announced so far is really my cup of tea (besides maybe Pokemon depending on how that turns out) but it's absolutely not the same situation as looking at 2018 last year, since we actually have far, far more games confirmed to be slated for 2019 than we did for 2018.

Deleted member 42641

Banned
Apr 25, 2018
I still cant believe that we live in a world where we still have not seen a single thing from retro since Tropical Freeze

Theyre are slow cooking that BBQ

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2019 can be the greatest year for Nintendo for me, but it depends on if Metroid Prime 4 releases. Mario Odyssey and Zelda were huge for me. Pokémon fills one of those slots for me and I need another game.

It's looking doubtful that MP4 is coming in 2019. I would've expected MPT to be announced tonight for February. The later the announcement comes the later in 2019 it will release.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Apparently they aren't interested in doing smaller games like this because of indies filling the eshop. I think it was implied by Vitei's CEO. It's a shame if it's true as these games are some of my favorites.

Had to google the interview. Devastating personally if Nintendo doesn't want to do the small, crazy experiences anymore.

Dillon needs to make the transition to Switch. He needs to ;_;

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Had to google the interview. Devastating personally if Nintendo doesn't want to do the small, crazy experiences anymore.

Dillon needs to make the transition to Switch. He needs to ;_;

The problem is that so far, we haven't seen an increase in their larger scope games output either; even a slowdown if anything.
I've said for a long time that Nintendo lacks resources in my view and should be bolder when expanding or investing in new studios, but even in their current states, it's only fair to expect more on a yearly basis than what we had in 2018.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
The key to Metroid 4's release date lies with Animal Crossing in my opinion. How far along do we think Animal Crossing is... and what's the earliest it can release? The thing is, we have Animal Crossing, Pokemon and Luigi's Mansion 3 all confirmed as 2019, but we've seen very little of any of them (in fact, nothing of Pokemon!). Surely that makes them all late 2019 titles? It's not too much of a stretch to place Luigi in October and Pokemon in November... So that leaves December. Animal Crossing, in my mind, feels like an "earlier in the year" kind of title... it feels like something that could come over the Summer or September. Metroid feels like it could slot into December quite nicely... but it won't happen if Animal Crossing ends up taking that slot, in my opinion.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Emily mentioned MPT for multiple times. I am not saying everything said by Emily is truth, and plans always change, but she is easily the best informant out there.

And she did not say MPT is going to be announced at TGA. She mentioned it way before.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The key to Metroid 4's release date lies with Animal Crossing in my opinion. How far along do we think Animal Crossing is... and what's the earliest it can release? The thing is, we have Animal Crossing, Pokemon and Luigi's Mansion 3 all confirmed as 2019, but we've seen very little of any of them (in fact, nothing of Pokemon!). Surely that makes them all late 2019 titles? It's not too much of a stretch to place Luigi in October and Pokemon in November... So that leaves December. Animal Crossing, in my mind, feels like an "earlier in the year" kind of title... it feels like something that could come over the Summer or September. Metroid feels like it could slot into December quite nicely... but it won't happen if Animal Crossing ends up taking that slot, in my opinion.
Animal Crossing is definitely a wild card. I feel like it can come anytime.

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

Bayo 3 in 2019 would be neat if it happened. But I still feel like Platinum might have another game up their sleeves for Switch. Platinum publicly told reporters earlier this year that they were developing multiple new ips. And this is a company who developed\co-developed 3 Nintendo published Wii U projects (w101, bayo 2, Star Fox zero). The relationship between Nintendo and Platinum goes beyond Bayonetta.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
The problem is that so far, we haven't seen an increase in their larger scope games output either; even a slowdown if anything.
I've said for a long time that Nintendo lacks resources in my view and should be bolder when expanding or investing in new studios, but even in their current states, it's only fair to expect more on a yearly basis than what we had in 2018.

Well for me personally 2018 was a good year. I know I don't represent the most edgy gamertype there who only considers massive AAA action adventure open world cinematic experiences battle royale style worth anything. I have enjoyed Tennis Aces, Mario Party and Sushi Strike tens of hours of worth each this year.

So yeah if they can keep up their big games and AA-games like they have I am all for it. And I do realise that this is not how many many gamers feel, but this is me personally.

However I love my 3DS and the small titles that Nintendo has created. Dillon is my absolute favourite as a character. I hope that they will not abandon those even if my Switch has a dozen magnificent indies on it already.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 continues a great trend starting with Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, Bayo 3 and Octopath Traveler. Moneyhat exclusives for Switch and enjoy 3rd party support for games that have the possibility. (I don't think anyone expects RDR2 or Far Cry New Dawn on Switch).

And bring us the magic with Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing etc. few times a year. Im all down with that.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bayo 3 in 2019 would be neat if it happened. But I still feel like Platinum might have another game up their sleeves for Switch. Platinum publicly told reporters earlier this year that they were developing multiple new ips. And this is a company who developed\co-developed 3 Nintendo published Wii U projects (w101, bayo 2, Star Fox zero). The relationship between Nintendo and Platinum goes beyond Bayonetta.
God I'm not sure if you know, but I hope this means a new IP from Platinum for Switch.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Well for me personally 2018 was a good year. I know I don't represent the most edgy gamertype there who only considers massive AAA action adventure open world cinematic experiences battle royale style worth anything. I have enjoyed Tennis Aces, Mario Party and Sushi Strike tens of hours of worth each this year.

there's nothing "edgy" with liking AAA games. If anything, edginess is more in trying to dismiss the qualities of popular games.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
And wouldn't you call Super Mario Party, Mario Tennis Aces or Kirby Star Allies popular games?

They are. They target people liking lighthearted multiplayer games. And there's nothing wrong with that, I like them too, to an extent. But if Nintendo is serious about wanting to expand their base, ignoring high effort single player games, as they have since mostly Mario and Xenoblade, is in my opinion a mistake.

Also, and this is more subjective, Mario party, Aces and Kirby felt for different reasons rushed and/or extremely conservative.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure all this doom and gloom talk is warranted after the Game Awards. I was as disappointed as anyone else at Metroid Prime 4 not showing up but the event itself had the absolute opposite effect. Mortal Kombat 11, Dauntless, Sayonara Wild Hearts, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3... All of them pretty cool surprises that point towards an exciting 2019 more than anything.

Not saying that Nintendo couldn't do better, they always can and I've said repeatedly why I think they do, but everything is pointing towards a significant improvement over this year.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
And wouldn't you call Super Mario Party, Mario Tennis Aces or Kirby Star Allies popular games?
I would call them popular games, for sure. However, Kirby really disappointed me... that game practically played itself, and I was just sat there watching...!

Relating to your earlier post, I absolutely agree that 2018 was a good year. I think it's easy to look back on a year and seek out the tent pole titles, but then forget about all of the "smaller" titles that contributed. You've mentioned some of these titles already, but I'd definitely add things like Octopath Traveller and Celeste into the mix too - I spent a lot of time on those two alone - and that Horizon Chase Turbo most recently has been a blast.

Thing is though... 2018 was always a difficult one for Nintendo. I mean, how do you follow up a year that had Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda and Splatoon in it? They played a lot of their aces early on... so in that respect, I do feel 2018 felt less "epic" but it was not a poor year, and certainly not as bad as many seem to imply (even though I do get what they mean).

The good news is 2019 looks like it could be nothing short of spectacular. So yea, this Christmas I will be looking forward to the inevitable January Direct, for sure, but I will also look back on 2018 very fondly. A solid year, with huge promise ahead.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would say 2018 was a solid year for Nintendo. Like if I gave last year a A+ I would give this year a C+ or B-

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I think we'll be getting a new character in Smash every two months :

February : Piranha Plant
April : Joker (might coincide with the Persona Event and a P5 announcement)
June/August/October/December : DLC 2 to 5.

2020 : Season 2 imo.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure all this doom and gloom talk is warranted after the Game Awards. I was as disappointed as anyone else at Metroid Prime 4 not showing up but the event itself had the absolute opposite effect. Mortal Kombat 11, Dauntless, Sayonara Wild Hearts, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3... All of them pretty cool surprises that point towards an exciting 2019 more than anything.
I mean, that's cool for people who are into this stuff. But I always bought Nintendo systems exactly because I don't care about things like Mortal Kombat or Marvel games. What I actually buy their systems for like small scale Nintendo games or japanese handheld stuff is nowhere to be seen.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, that's cool for people who are into this stuff. But I always bought Nintendo systems exactly because I don't care about things like Mortal Kombat or Marvel games. What I actually buy their systems for like small scale Nintendo games or japanese handheld stuff is nowhere to be seen.

I don't know what to tell you

Square-Enix is releasing Dragon Quest Builders 2 in 2 weeks, DQXIS is coming, the new DQ Monsters game is most likely headed for Switch as well. Business Division 11 is probably working on their next Switch game. Bandai Namco is supporting the Switch when it makes sense with games like Digimon Survive or even exclusives like Ninja Box. NIS and Koei Tecmo (+Gust) are bringing most if not all of their games to Switch. There's lots of VNs from companies like 5pb, Spike Chunsoft or ArcSys. Ancient just announced two games for Switch like a week ago.

It's gonna take a while for things to get there as it's obvious that many of these companies were caught off-guard by the success of the Switch... but the games are coming.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Getting some serious groundhog day vibes from this thread.
There's always hope. :-)

Anyway, in hindsight, I thought 2018 was fine. Some people were upset because a good number of titles were Wii U ports, while others just weren't interested in the games. I fall into both categories, but I still think objectively that the year's lineup was good overall, with a healthy release schedule, good variety of titles, and solid third-party support. Not everything is about me.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
They are. They target people liking lighthearted multiplayer games. And there's nothing wrong with that, I like them too, to an extent. But if Nintendo is serious about wanting to expand their base, ignoring high effort single player games, as they have since mostly Mario and Xenoblade, is in my opinion a mistake.

Also, and this is more subjective, Mario party, Aces and Kirby felt for different reasons rushed and/or extremely conservative.

If Nintendo wants to expand their base then they definitely need the Mario Parties and Mario Karts and Pokemon Let's Go games. Those are absolutely the games they need, because kids and light hearted gamers who game with Nintendo become Nintendo gamers more easily than 20 something gamer that posts angry console war posts on internet forums.

But I do understand your perspective on this and yes there is always a massive need for those AAA games of various genres, just like there would be for portable Madden or comparable FIFA and just like there is still market for Just Dance on Wii. What we disagree on is simply how Nintendo should divide their resources between these titles.

And I don't think we will agree on that based on our different tastes in gaming. I disagree on the conservative and/or rushed statement and I think that especially considering Mario Tennis Aces it was design choice to spread the content to give it more legs. Mario Party minigames are fun and the game is clearly aimed at peeps like me with smaller kids.

I would call them popular games, for sure. However, Kirby really disappointed me... that game practically played itself, and I was just sat there watching...!

Relating to your earlier post, I absolutely agree that 2018 was a good year. I think it's easy to look back on a year and seek out the tent pole titles, but then forget about all of the "smaller" titles that contributed. You've mentioned some of these titles already, but I'd definitely add things like Octopath Traveller and Celeste into the mix too - I spent a lot of time on those two alone - and that Horizon Chase Turbo most recently has been a blast.

Thing is though... 2018 was always a difficult one for Nintendo. I mean, how do you follow up a year that had Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda and Splatoon in it? They played a lot of their aces early on... so in that respect, I do feel 2018 felt less "epic" but it was not a poor year, and certainly not as bad as many seem to imply (even though I do get what they mean).

The good news is 2019 looks like it could be nothing short of spectacular. So yea, this Christmas I will be looking forward to the inevitable January Direct, for sure, but I will also look back on 2018 very fondly. A solid year, with huge promise ahead.

Following up on 2017 was going to be hard no matter what they would have brought. I do agree with pretty much everything you say here. 2018 was no 2017 by any means but neither was it in gaming altogether. And some people might say that the latter half of 2018 is a six months comparable to any six months in gaming ever before. There was plethora of fantastic games in all platforms.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
And some people might say that the latter half of 2018 is a six months comparable to any six months in gaming ever before. There was plethora of fantastic games in all platforms.
Yep, that's a really good point too. Red Dead Redemption 2 plays a big part in that of course. Funnily enough, if you take the 12 month period July 2018 to June 2019 and call that a year, then I think you could struggle to find a stronger 12 months in gaming, outside of new console launches perhaps. Reminds me of Tottenham Hotspur a couple of seasons ago... if they took their points from the second half of a season and added it to the first half of the next they'd have had more than anyone else and won the Premier League!

krlitros87

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, not having news of MP4 of MPT is not the worst (in my opinion). What makes me worried is not knowing shit about Retro's game. I mean seriously, what the hell is happening here??

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, not having news of MP4 of MPT is not the worst (in my opinion). What makes me worried is not knowing shit about Retro's game. I mean seriously, what the hell is happening here??

I think they had some development troubles on their first game. Their second game which appears to be Star Fox GP is rumored to release next years.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
I was more bummed there wasn't an AC teaser more so than Prime 4 not being there...

To clarify, I didn't actually expect AC to be at the TGAs but man I was holding out hope lol....just starving for info on that game.

MUA3 was an awesome surprise however and good to see stuff like Dauntless, MK11, etc. coming as well.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
2019 can be the greatest year for Nintendo for me, but it depends on if Metroid Prime 4 releases. Mario Odyssey and Zelda were huge for me. Pokémon fills one of those slots for me and I need another game.

It's looking doubtful that MP4 is coming in 2019. I would've expected MPT to be announced tonight for February. The later the announcement comes the later in 2019 it will release.

Smash was revealed in March and released this year. Pokemon Let's Go was revealed on the second last day in May and released even earlier than Smash.

Nintendo doesn't play by any rules when it comes to calendar gaps between reveal and release, they're all over the place.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Retro's game was never pegged for E3 despite the leaks coming out right before it. so a 2018 reveal was pretty much off the table

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

No one should have expected it at the Game Awards. Retro games have always been an E3 reveal. Not that it 100% has to be, but that's where the expectation should be.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Announcements actually followed a similar pattern to those of last year

3rd party exclusive game (Bayonetta 3/Marvel game)
DLC for their biggest game of the year (Zelda/Smash)

Can't wait for the early 2019 Direct, there's just so much stuff to show

None of those are third party but first party releases with license

monapon

Nov 9, 2017

I definitely understand. Love all the JRPGs and I've yet to run out of things to play but I'm still waiting for Story of Seasons and Ace Attorney to show up! And some Style Savvy would be nice too. Would it be too much to ask for Endless Ocean, Golden Sun and Hotel Dusk revivals while we're at it?

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bayonetta 3 and Marvel Ultimate Alliance are 3rd party.

No, they aren't. Both games published by nintendo under license with nintendo producing, funding, distributing, doing marketing and paying everything. One is a license for a third party franchise in a first party release and game owned by nintendo with license by sega and other is a game licensed by marvel with the license paid by nintendo. Both first party releases and published by nintendo.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
If they really do follow a similar pattern as last year, the January direct is going to suck hard.
I personally do not expect 2019 to be so great. Many games are not confirmed and some could get pushed back. Others are just 2018 games which have been delayed. For all we know so far, Animal Crossing could be their heaviest hitter even if I still hope that they'll have something else. But overall it's getting more likely that Nintendo doesn't show much, because they just do not have much to show.

Only Yoshi and FE were pushed back. What others are you thinking of?

Status
Not open for further replies.