• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
DC Super Hero Girls: Teen Power - syn-Sophia?

how out there is this guess?

Arzest should have their hands full with Balan Wonderworld, Vanpool was busy with supporting HAL on the recent Kirby releases, Vitei feels like they'd bee too small for this?

idk, just spit-balling.
I'm thinking Retro Studios.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I think Mario Golf was originally planned for 2020 but COVID hit Camelot hard.
It's the first time it has been this long between two titles from them.
It would only be perfect symmetry since Mario Golf World Tour was also held for, idk, half a year or more (finished) and they used that time to make all of that extra content that became the expansion pass. Something about Mario Golf's timing is always cursed :D

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at Grezzo's site, they only have around 60-70 staff and they've been working on Miitopia and whatever that "medeival" title is. I wonder if that excludes them from having any involvement in any more potential Zelda remasters/collections for the upcoming FY.

Though maybe Miitopia is another one of those games that Nintendo sits on until the time is right. I have a feeling that they did this with Majora's Mask 3D, seeing as Grezzo only worked on Four Swords Anniverssry and some Streetpass game in between it and OoT 3D, and Triforce Heroes couldn't have started development any earlier than 2013/4.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Looking at Grezzo's site, they only have around 60-70 staff and they've been working on Miitopia and whatever that "medeival" title is. I wonder if that excludes them from having any involvement in any more potential Zelda remasters/collections for the upcoming FY.

Though maybe Miitopia is another one of those games that Nintendo sits on until the time is right. I have a feeling that they did this with Majora's Mask 3D, seeing as Grezzo only worked on Four Swords Anniverssry and some Streetpass game in between it and OoT 3D, and Triforce Heroes couldn't have started development any earlier than 2013/4.

if EPD was that involved, it wouldn't look as it does. this seems more like a pick-up project to get in the good graces of Warner Bros
We sure about that? I also don't know what's wrong with how it looks. The characters look exactly like the show and then put through the 3D-inflator with the world matching that.

MM3D was finished when they first showed it. I'm not sure we got official word on that but that always seemed like a fairly straightforward thing.
My gut says Syn Sophia, if only because a game targeted towards preteen girls seems up their alley.
That's where I was just yesterday too but in terms of scope and style and experience, this is a perfect fit for Vanpool (they have HD experience from two Paper Marios, several recent Kirby assists, made the last big scale action game on 3DS with town exploration etc, and they love using that exact font in all their games).

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting connection with Vanpool via the font. Maybe that's the key after all.

It's weird that they chose DC Super Hero Girls of all WB properties if they had a choice. But Nintendo did as noted say they wanted to make more female-targeted games. Likely why Buddy Mission BOND exists also.

But if that wasn't the motivation, I'd have gone with Animaniacs. :P

What's also funny is that the Bakugan game was by Wayforward, yet that's a Japanese creation. You'd think Vanpool would be given Bakugan and Wayforward would be given DC Super Hero Girls. IMO.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We sure about that? I also don't know what's wrong with how it looks. The characters look exactly like the show and then put through the 3D-inflator with the world matching that.
it just has that look that it wasn't in the oven long. I don't want to say "budget" look, but damn, there ain't much money put into it. I wanted to joke that maybe it was Platinum, but even their games had smoother animations. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a smaller western company who's doing this

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Imo the action looks like it has that very signature Japanese flair to it (I came to that conclusion after having already heard that someone claimed it's a JP dev so maybe that is a biased read). I don't see it end up being western-developed unless they had some support studio or maybe some small group at a WB house which would also function as IP-supervisor or whatever.

Interesting connection with Vanpool via the font. Maybe that's the key after all.

It's weird that they chose DC Super Hero Girls of all WB properties if they had a choice. But Nintendo did as noted say they wanted to make more female-targeted games. Likely why Buddy Mission BOND exists also.

But if that wasn't the motivation, I'd have gone with Animaniacs. :P

What's also funny is that the Bakugan game was by Wayforward, yet that's a Japanese creation. You'd think Vanpool would be given Bakugan and Wayforward would be given DC Super Hero Girls. IMO.
I'd suspect WB came to them with a "hey you want to do this" pitch, possibly.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
I'm probably missing some very obvious detail but why are we assuming it's one of Nintendo's usual japanese partners and not just a small western team that somehow got in touch with Nintendo or WB, just like Velan or the Good Job devs?

Astrogamer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably missing some very obvious detail but why are we assuming it's one of Nintendo's usual japanese partners and not just a small western team that somehow got in touch with Nintendo or WB, just like Velan or the Good Job devs?
Yeah, this feels like it's Masa Miyazaki's wheelhouse. Especially since that team at Nintendo of America hasn't worked on something since Good Job.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Given that this is a WB IP, I don't see a random small team/dev approaching Nintendo about this as it would have likely originated at WB, no? (not an argument for JP vs Western but just a general chain of "command" thought)

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
DC Superhero Girls doesn't have Nintendo in its copyright information at all (unlike MUA3), so I don't think that it's developed by them.

Aug 15, 2020
So I realize this doesn't exactly 100% fall into the Nintendo publishing category, but Nintendo does have their hand in it and you guys are much better at keeping track of the nitty gritty legal details. Could someone explain to me how copyright information would differ between regions? I noticed after the Direct that the No More Heroes III official website was split into two separate domains with English version on nmh3.com and the Japanese version on https://nmh.marv.jp/nmh3/, but the interesting part was that the former scrubs all mentions of Marvelous. I thought it might have been an oversight, but rewatching the Direct segment in English had just ©Grasshopper Manufacture Inc. while the Japanese segment had ©Marvelous Inc. / Grasshopper Manufacture Inc. in the same way every other entry is labeled including Travis Strikes Again worldwide. Obviously Marvelous is publishing the game in Japan, but I would have thought they'd still be in the copyright line for all regions in the way they are for say Daemon x Machina.

Just kind of out a general curiosity.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
oof, their deadly premonition games on switch have a lot of technical issues. hopefully this is a more solid game, performance-wise.

Oct 26, 2017
Vanpool should do a Dillon game on Switch.
Yep, but I'd also happily have them do a proper 3D Chibi-Robo. I don't think they should be blamed entirely for Zip-Lash, since after all it was also co-developed by Skip, so who knows where the core issues originated from. Vanpool were always a sort of "sister" company of Skip's as both were formed by key Love-de-Lic folks.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vanpool should do a Dillon game on Switch.
this and Sakura Samurai need switch games

9e9a5f9406374cd3953e7adce7a457a6.jpg

sakura_samurai_pt_01_thumb.jpg

King Dodongo

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, but I'd also happily have them do a proper 3D Chibi-Robo. I don't think they should be blamed entirely for Zip-Lash, since after all it was also co-developed by Skip, so who knows where the core issues originated from. Vanpool were always a sort of "sister" company of Skip's as both were formed by key Love-de-Lic folks.

Hopefully they have the free reign to do so, as they wer interested in doing game for both IP's

this and Sakura Samurai need switch games

9e9a5f9406374cd3953e7adce7a457a6.jpg

sakura_samurai_pt_01_thumb.jpg

Ah I remember that one.
Well It Murasame Castle is still on hold, might as well give Sakura Samurai a chance.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Any suggestion whether Skyward Sword HD is purely EPD 3 or outsourced somewhere? I'd be surprised if it's entirely EPD 3, given the increasing role other studios have had with the series (Grezzo, Tantalus, Monolith Soft). Personally I'd wondered if Monolith Soft's second production group were actually working on a Skyward Sword remaster when they hired for Zelda a couple of years ago - I know the common (and understandable) assumption is that they're on development support for Breath of the Wild 2, but did we ever get confirmation of that?

Maybe they're on both?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any suggestion whether Skyward Sword HD is purely EPD 3 or outsourced somewhere? I'd be surprised if it's entirely EPD 3, given the increasing role other studios have had with the series (Grezzo, Tantalus, Monolith Soft). Personally I'd wondered if Monolith Soft's second production group were actually working on a Skyward Sword remaster when they hired for Zelda a couple of years ago - I know the common (and understandable) assumption is that they're on development support for Breath of the Wild 2, but did we ever get confirmation of that?

Maybe they're on both?
The logical assumption should be they're working on BotW 2. Idk why they wouldn't be. That's why they have an entire team dedicated to Zelda. They did work on Skyward Sword too so they could possibly have some of the Zelda team working on the HD remaster too. In the end it would be their Zelda team working with EPD 3's Zelda team.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy

Maybe they're on both?
I'll go out on a limb and say it's Tantalus again.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

Maybe they're on both?
There's no reason to involve MonolithSoft in this aside from their Kyoto asset team (again) since they're not really doing much for this (as far as we know at the moment). There's also no real reason EPD3 would be mainlining this since they only did that for WWHD to sort out visual ideas and tech for BotW.

Tantalus has been porting a bunch of games everywhere in recent years so depending on their how busy they are, it could be them. Grezzo is usually used for more substantial upgrades, though. Hm.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
I'll go out on a limb and say it's Tantalus again.

Not sure I would phrase it "Tantalus again", because their Nintendo project appears to have been a one and done job. There hasn't been any signs of a continued working relationship since TP HD. Also, this game is heavily linked to motion controls which is a different kind of job.

I can see the following:

1. Small EPD (SRD) port team - especially since the textures haven't been redone.
2. The DLC Zelda team did this which means smaller EPD/SRD leads and Monolith had a stronger presence
3. NERD?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So with ILCA Inc developed Diamond & Pearl I guess Nintendo might have a new partner.

Is this the same Yuichi Ueda?
www.mobygames.com

Yuichi Ueda - MobyGames

Game credits, biography, portraits and other game industry information for Yuichi Ueda - MobyGames

Oct 26, 2017
Given that a lot of ILCA were ex-Game Republic developers, I think it's pretty likely
Oh wow. Good to see they found a new home. Where's the main person who created Onimusha and formed GR at now again? I forget (fake edit: mixi inc., the Monster Strike folks right?). Yuichi Ueda also directed Genji: Days of the Blade, aka Giant Enemy Crab: The Game. :P

Outside of being a support studio going by MobyGames, did ILCA have any actual core-developed games under their belt? But if they retained the programmers and such from Game Republic, that's not a bad thing as their Dragon Ball DS games were VERY good technically for the system.

morromocotudo

Nov 19, 2017
Last edited:

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Man, can we please just get a DRIP of info on Monolith's next game? An interview? A hiring tease? A hint? Something :(

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
we've been teased that something is coming this FY. whatever it might be
Curious as Monolith Soft this gen have usually had around 9 months+ for their marketing cycles.

Xenoblade 2: Jan 2017 - Dec 2017
Xenoblade DE: Sep 2019 - May 2020

So we would have probably seen their latest game by now if it was releasing this year because the next proper time to announce it would be during the (I'm assuming?) June/Summer direct which would be <6 months. So most likely especially with covid it is a 2022 title

And I would love any tease on the actual game itself :(

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
hope Mario strikers makes its way on to the switch
Same. My dream is that they time it to release in time for next years World Cup
Strikers is dead unless they want to put NLG back onto sports games which I simply don't see happening (unless they staff up for two concurrent projects). I love strikers but it feels more likely that they call-in Bamco for another drive-by sports joint that may or may not be football. My ideal scenario would be a second NLG team that knocks out a real cool new Strikers, of course, but that seems utopian given how things usually go.

Curious as Monolith Soft this gen have usually had around 9 months+ for their marketing cycles.

Xenoblade 2: Jan 2017 - Dec 2017
Xenoblade DE: Sep 2019 - May 2020

So we would have probably seen their latest game by now if it was releasing this year because the next proper time to announce it would be during the (I'm assuming?) June/Summer direct which would be <6 months. So most likely especially with covid it is a 2022 title

And I would love any tease on the actual game itself :(
Nintendo sometimes announces big games out of the blue and they're out within half a year or less. Don't try to apply strict math to this stuff (especially not Nintendo marketing moves), it's not really gonna help matters.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if we will see a formal announcement of the completion of the NLG acquisition today or this week. maybe a website update?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Retro hired another Environment Artist. This person just came off of working on Godfall. Retro has about 15 Environment Artist now (a few 3D). Crazy

Nov 11, 2017
Italy
Yeah I'm tempering and hoping to be pleasantly surprised. It was very odd the sequence of Tokyo adding a 2D hire notice after the initial Kyoto 2D hire, but maybe it's that big of a 2D Mario game?

I agree with you.
They already co-worked (for the first time, i suppose?) on mariomaker2, thanks to the 3D World skin.

Well, I think that there are two main possibilities:

Kyoto is working on the new 2d Mario
Tokyo is working on the new 3d project AND a 2d project (Donkey Kong?)

Kyoto is working on the new 2d Mario with Tokyo
Tokyo is also working on another 3d project (Odyssey 2 or DK 3d)

I don't think they're (tokyo) hiring 2d designer just for little 2d sections like Odyessey's ones.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I don't think they're (Tokyo) hiring 2d designer just for little 2d sections like Odyssey's ones.
Could be though? Since pretty much all of their games have them.

Maybe Hayashida has also been sitting in his basement, hacking away at SNES Remix all these years on the side and wants to spice it up with original stuff too :P

('m serious about the first part, wishfully joking about the second)

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really wonder what is going on with EPD7. We know they have Famicom Detective Club, but that's being developed externally. Their other rumored game is a 2D Metroid which is assumed to be with MercurySteam again.

I wonder if they've just become an external group like EPD 6? Been a long time since we saw a game internally from them.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
I really wonder what is going on with EPD7. We know they have Famicom Detective Club, but that's being developed externally. Their other rumored game is a 2D Metroid which is assumed to be with MercurySteam again.

I wonder if they've just become an external group like EPD 6? Been a long time since we saw a game internally from them.
If we assume that Takehiko Hosokawa is working on another 2D Metroid, that only leaves Rhythm Heaven and Tomodachi as EPD 7's tentpole franchises. WarioWare was moved over to EPD 6 and Intelligent Systems.

Two of Tomodachi Life's directors worked on Miitomo and aren't known to have been on anything else since. The third one was a planner on Ring Fit Adventure. I expect the series to return at some point since Life did really well.

Rhythm Heaven is the one I'm less sure of. We know that the series producer had cancer, which might be why Megamix was an expanded compilation. He's publicly said that he'd like to work on another game on more than one occasion, so I wonder if that means there's nothing happening. Masami Yone, the series sound director and who also directed Megamix, has only been credited in Brain Training Switch since.

There was also the time that Katsuya Yamano randomly popped up in the Special Thanks section for the Switch port of Tropical Freeze, despite never being involved with Retro or DK beforehand, so I wonder if EPD 7 and Retro were working together at some point.