• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's how I see it. Nintendo will want another big game at launch for a hypothetical Switch 2. If that's coming by late 2023 it won't he enough time for a new 3D Zelda since BotW 2 won't release on Switch until 2021. After that that group will move on to the next system. 3D Mario team has a chance though. 3D World and 3D Mario Collection are rumored to come. I could see Nintendo saying that's more than enough 3D Mario for Switch.
if Nintendo is aiming for a 2023 Switch 2 launch, then games would have to start now, but on Switch hardware (unless they have a clear enough idea of the Switch 2 that they can "emulate" it of sorts with off the self hardware

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
The trailer says that it is developed by Intelligent Systems. I don't know how many from the main EPD crew are helping.
in case you don't know (check the OP^^): Paper Mario is an IntSys series. All Nintendo games are produced by an EPD division. EPD 6 will be involved in TOK like they were in Color Splash and Sticker Star and so on and so on.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
in case you don't know (check the OP^^): Paper Mario is an IntSys series. All Nintendo games are produced by an EPD division. EPD 6 will be involved in TOK like they were in Color Splash and Sticker Star and so on and so on.
clearly Nintendo is holding back Intelligent Systems. they should go third party and make the game they really want to make

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
clearly Nintendo is holding back Intelligent Systems. they should go third party and make the game they really want to make
EPD is simply Nintendo's equivalent to SIE Worldwide Studios or Xbox Game Studios. It's not merely a developer, rather, the entity that oversees all game production, whether it's developed internally or not.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
After The Wonderful 101 a PS4 version of Fire Emblem Three Houses is inevitable.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
After The Wonderful 101 a PS4 version of Fire Emblem Three Houses is inevitable.

Nintendo created some of the original Fire Emblem elements and has put money into the IP as producer/publisher for over 20 years. Nintendo decided later on in the series to bestow co-ownership of the FE IP.

Very different situation from the W101 IP release.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
I do also wonder about EPD Tokyos next project. I think if it would be Odyssey 2, then it would have already been revealed. The game would base a lot on Odyssey Part one and will most probably use a lot of gameplay mechanics, ideas, engine, assets etc. from it. So I think such a game would definitely be scheduled for 2020 and would have been revealed at the latest at the september direct 2019. But we didn't hear anything about it till today, so I guess that this EPD team is working on another game.

EPD Tokyo isn't a single team. I think we will be reminded again very soon. There are big expansion and efficiency plans in place for the Tokyo network and EPD Production Group No.08.

The trailer says that it is developed by Intelligent Systems. I don't know how many from the main EPD crew are helping.

EPD isn't the helper, they are the production and planning group. IS gets hired to work on the game. EPD Production Group No.06 (Kensuke Tanabe and co.) come up with the outline, budget, resources. Ever wonder how Vanpool got enlisted as a co-developer last Paper Mario? Well Tanabe also manages first-party projects through Vanpool - so he enlisted them to join the production fold.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EPD Tokyo isn't a single team. I think we will be reminded again very soon. There are big expansion and efficiency plans in place for the Tokyo network and EPD Production Group No.08.
the planned move? also, have we found out if Game Freak are moving in the same building as the EPD Tokyo group?

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Considering how big Paper Mario is, I am kinda surprised that EPD1 isn't overseeing the series, considering the division's specialty in handling the big name RPGs for Nintendo.

I think Paper Mario would be better under Yamagami than under Tanabe/Ikebata. Who knows, that might be the case here. Several Nintendo IPs have changed groups since the Switch. Tanabe's now overseeing WarioWare for instance.

Astrogamer

Oct 25, 2017
I think Paper Mario would be better under Yamagami than under Tanabe/Ikebata. Who knows, that might be the case here. Several Nintendo IPs have changed groups since the Switch. Tanabe's now overseeing WarioWare for instance.
That's partly because the Paper Mario and Warioware teams merged at IS and that Gold ha d almost no EPD staff. With Nd Cube under Nintendo's ownership, it could be that EPD staff feel like they don't really need to make a game dedicated to bitsized techdemos outside the launch window. It doesn't help that Warioware was more the spirit of R&D1 that dissipated over the course of SPD as people from R&D1 got promoted or quit

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017

1. Paper Mario has always been a Tanabe series. I don't think Yamagami has any experience with any Mario IP (outside of Mario Paint).
2. Tanabe took over WarioWare likely because Intelligent System's moved out of the Nintendo R&D building. The logistics didn't support the previous model of Sakamoto's EPD group co-developing it with IS, so they transferred Goro Abe to direct the series with Tanabe at EPD6, with IS handling development outhouse for the first time. Tanabe already manages Paper Mario production with IS, so it was a move that made sense.

the planned move? also, have we found out if Game Freak are moving in the same building as the EPD Tokyo group?

3 Nintendo Tokyo offices, 1-UP studio, Game Freak were some of the outfits moving into the new building. Not sure if anyone else. Game Freak still relies heavily on Nintendo PTD staff for their server/network technology.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3 Nintendo Tokyo offices, 1-UP studio, Game Freak were some of the outfits moving into the new building. Not sure if anyone else. Game Freak still relies heavily on Nintendo PTD staff for their server/network technology.
coolio. that's more than I was expecting. still hoping Game Freak gets some assistance from Nintendo the EPD staff

also, Dillon 4 when?

Oct 25, 2017
1. Paper Mario has always been a Tanabe series. I don't think Yamagami has any experience with any Mario IP (outside of Mario Paint).
2. Tanabe took over WarioWare likely because Intelligent System's moved out of the Nintendo R&D building. The logistics didn't support the previous model of Sakamoto's EPD group co-developing it with IS, so they transferred Goro Abe to direct the series with Tanabe at EPD6, with IS handling development outhouse for the first time. Tanabe already manages Paper Mario production with IS, so it was a move that made sense.

Do you have a complete list of the studios moving into the new building?

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
That's how I see it. Nintendo will want another big game at launch for a hypothetical Switch 2. If that's coming by late 2023 it won't he enough time for a new 3D Zelda since BotW 2 won't release on Switch until 2021. After that that group will move on to the next system. 3D Mario team has a chance though. 3D World and 3D Mario Collection are rumored to come. I could see Nintendo saying that's more than enough 3D Mario for Switch.
Definitely. Out of the two I could see EPD Tokyo making something else one day, but we shall see.

Whilst the "thief game" Aonuma mentioned was actually Link's Awakening, that interview did reveal that he's been asked to work on new IP at least. I just don't see it happening at the moment, especially because of how rightfully sought after the Zelda games are.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Definitely. Out of the two I could see EPD Tokyo making something else one day, but we shall see.

Whilst the "thief game" Aonuma mentioned was actually Link's Awakening, that interview did reveal that he's been asked to work on new IP at least. I just don't see it happening at the moment, especially because of how rightfully sought after the Zelda games are.
All depends on how they pull resources (people) together. If Aonuma has had a distinct-from-Zelda-IP brewing in him there are enough senior people he could group around that and then depending on what budget they can scrounge together, wave the big priority flag to get the programmers, designers, and artists assembled for that alongside whatever state their current Zelda(s) are in. Fujibayashi is walking on water after BotW but we already had speculated that the director of the DLC might be leading the sequel which we now know isn't actually the case so they would be an ideal candidate for such a hypothetical and potential "new IP" ...

But as we know from experience, most of their new gameplay ideas end up being funneled into the Zelda wrapper anyhow which I still find kinda cool and keeps the series fresh. I love all the nonsense that the internet loves to hate on so, wtf do I know.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Nintendo's development resources work on projects both in-house and with external development partners, same as always. They've just branched out to smaller development teams on top of their staple partnerships like Intelligent Systems or HAL Laboratory.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Nintendo's development resources work on projects both in-house and with external development partners, same as always. They've just branched out to smaller development teams on top of their staple partnerships like Intelligent Systems or HAL Laboratory.
Yup, many Nintendo fans don't really seem to understand what the EPD division actually is. It's not really a studio like Naughty Dog is. It's an internal Research and Development branch with at least a dozen units and hundreds of staff making and looking over hundreds of games in development at once from a variety of companies.

It's more similar in function to SIE Worldwide Studios, or Xbox Game Studios.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
The ironic part is that the reply actually comes from the Game's Co-Creator, Adam Vain. I think a person who's actually had to work on a game with NST and EPD would know more about it than some rando on twitter.

You have to love the "Nintendo didn't do anything, they just published it, it doesn't count as their game".

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Do you guys think Nintendo's subsidiary studios such as MonollithSoft, Retro Studios, NDCube, etc. should have their oversight moved directly under EPD? Current, these companies apparently answer to a board of Directors, consisting of both Studio management and NCL staff. But should Nintendo simplify that by having them report directly to Takahashi/EPD?

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Do you guys think Nintendo's subsidiary studios such as MonollithSoft, Retro Studios, NDCube, etc. should have their oversight moved directly under EPD? Current, these companies apparently answer to a board of Directors, consisting of both Studio management and NCL staff. But should Nintendo simplify that by having them report directly to Takahashi/EPD?
I don't get this question. They already answer directly to their EPD producer. They tend to have an EPD director on the game they're working on too. Other than that, it'S their own game too and they need someone local to report to on the day-to-day anyhow.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
I don't get this question. They already answer directly to their EPD producer. They tend to have an EPD director on the game they're working on too. Other than that, it'S their own game too and they need someone local to report to on the day-to-day anyhow.
The way it currently works is that EPD oversees specific games made by them, but not their broader studio operations. By consolidating them all directly under EPD, it'd be way easier to communicate with the Kyoto staff, and would make it easier for Nintendo to keep an eye on their actual studio management. It would also make it easier for Nintendo to draft them to help with other projects.

As it stands now, MonolithSoft, Retro, etc. largely operate themselves, with EPD overseeing them on specific projects, and having a few NCL reps on their BoD. They don't operate as part of any particular division at Nintendo. But this time, Nintendo would have a more hands-on involvement in their operations, rather than just the games they work on.