• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
What I don't understand is the narrative of "Camelot is forced to make Mario Sports when it actually wants to make Golden Sun."

It seems as if people project their own feelings there.

People did this same shit with Retro and Donkey Kong. When it was first announced, many people though Retro was forced to make "Fucking Donkey Kong" by the powers that be. In actuality, they CHOSE to make another Donkey Kong because the developers still had more ideas they wanted to explore.

Just because a Nintendo studio isn't working on the fanboy wet dream you want, doesn't mean they're being forced to make they games they are making.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What I don't understand is the narrative of "Camelot is forced to make Mario Sports when it actually wants to make Golden Sun."

It seems as if people project their own feelings there.

There's a weird inability or even unwillingness to reconcile the fact that people working on games this board doesn't see as valuable can have different reasons than Nintendo "forcing" them.

In short, people need to blame someone.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Happens for every game or issue people aren't happy with tbh.
Always easier to find a scapegoat, be it the publisher, a certain higher-up (like Miyamoto), the press, other developers, etc.

Sometimes the dev doesn't want to make X game, or actually wanted to put in this feature nobody liked.
edit: and sometimes, it's just because there's no reason to continue this franchise, as sad as it might be.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Yeah, there isn't really a place for Golden Sun in Nintendo's lineup anymore. Nintendo can happily go to Square Enix to fund an exclusive retro JRPG and has Monolith Soft working on Xenoblade for more modern JRPGs.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Camelot is probably hard at work trying to figure out how to make their next Mario Sports game hit *big*.

Aces feels like it didn't live up to its full potential.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't remember the specific studio, but I remember that one of them who partnered with Marigul, ended up making a canceled PS1 RTS.

www.nintendolife.com

Nintendo Indirectly Co-Funded A PlayStation Game That Never Made It To Market

"The money situation was unusual"

Iwata wanted to get away from the convoluted Second-Party investment strategy of Yamauchi, and move more towards simple, straight-forward partnerships and relationships with smaller studios.
The dev's in the article; Aquamarine.

Were they a secret 6th Marigul studio? Still bizarre that Marigul was doing PS1 projects, even if none released. My website Marigold is named after Marigul, fun fact. :P

Also, there were three Marigul titles that never had a known dev to them; Columns on the SNES (yes, SEGA'S Columns), a Tamagotchi game for the SNES, and the sadly never released Catroots for seemingly the N64. All just had Marigul's name on them, but no dev when Marigul itself wasn't a developer, only a funder/umbrella of companies.

Oct 27, 2017
I found this thread on Reddit. An interesting read on Genius Sonority and Noise relationship with Nintendo and how important Yamauchi was for them.

EAD Ninja Do you know how much of this is actually true? On one hand, it sounds believable. On the other hand, it's literally a random guy on the internet, with the bonus of also being clearly biased against GameFreak (although he lists the Japanese website jobtalk as a source, which actually exists).

Oct 25, 2017
I found this thread on Reddit. An interesting read on Genius Sonority and Noise relationship with Nintendo and how important Yamauchi was for them.

EAD Ninja Do you know how much of this is actually true? On one hand, it sounds believable. On the other hand, it's literally a random guy on the internet, with the bonus of also being clearly biased against GameFreak (although he lists the Japanese website jobtalk as a source, which actually exists).
This kinda just seems like an attempt to discredit Game Freak more than anything lol. Wouldn't put too much stock into it, Pokémon fans are crazy.

Oct 27, 2017
This kinda just seems like an attempt to discredit Game Freak more than anything lol. Wouldn't put too much stock into it, Pokémon fans are crazy.
Yeah, the guy's clearly biased, but maybe there's a grain of truth in what he's saying. He references the jobtalk site and an allegedly 2chan leak, but I didn't manage to find anything.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Retro Studios has hired a Lead VFX Artist. This guy has done some really good work. He worked on Battlefield Hardline. He worked on Star Wars: Ragtag. This was Amy Henning's 3rd person action adventure game, which was cancelled. I'm sure you guys have seen the screenshots of that game. He worked on it. He worked at Blizzard and he after that he worked on Battlefield V.

He's worked on Frostbite Engine, Unreal Engine and Unity Engine.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Seems like Retro is getting many folks from EA then. That's pretty good!

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Retro has now hired a new Lead Engineer. This person comes off as a very strong leader and very motivational. They worked at Treyarch/Activision. They worked on all the Black Ops games and some other stuff. They did many years of online programming for Activision.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Retro has now hired a new Lead Engineer. This person comes off as a very strong leader and very motivational. They worked at Treyarch/Activision. They worked on all the Black Ops games and some other stuff. They did many years of online programming for Activision.
Metroid Prime: Battle Royal

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

A few Pokemon fans have long claimed Pokemon Colosseum as the holy grail, making things up all the time. It would not give him much credibility.

Astrogamer

Oct 25, 2017
A few Pokemon fans have long claimed Pokemon Colosseum as the holy grail, making things up all the time. It would not give him much credibility.
Yeah, I'm not sure if it is the full story since it was after Dragon Quest Swords where Genius Sonority cut down staff and that underperforming was more damaging. Also, I'm pretty sure Noise worked on Dragon Quest of the Stars which was like the first big Dragon Quest mobile game so they shouldn't be that down of their luck. And it's not like Nintendo shifting away from the Yamauchi Fund companies was necessarily a bad thing since most weren't that successful and they were pretty much all tiny so, they weren't big enough to handle the HD transition. Genius Sonority could have been built up into a secondary RPG studio but, I think Monolith, Grezzo and Fire Emblem becoming big basically fulfilled the need. For Noise, Custom Robo Arena was basically way past the robot fad Japan had and the IP basically wouldn't fit into Nintendo's lineup again until maybe recently.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
Assuming the new Paper Mario from IS is real what aproach do you think they'll be taking with Mario&Luigi ? They'll wait and see if Paper Mario is well recieve and just stick with it or will they try giving it to someone else (maybe Monolith ?) because they still need more Mario RPGs ? If Paper Mario didn't work well for them we'd be in really weird situation, the only forseable other RPG would be a Kingdom Battle 2, but that's not really the same thing and I don't know if Nintendo is ok with having no Mario RPGs for several years.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming the new Paper Mario from IS is real what aproach do you think they'll be taking with Mario&Luigi ? They'll wait and see if Paper Mario is well recieve and just stick with it or will they try giving it to someone else (maybe Monolith ?) because they still need more Mario RPGs ? If Paper Mario didn't work well for them we'd be in really weird situation, the only forseable other RPG would be a Kingdom Battle 2, but that's not really the same thing, and I don't know if Nintendo is ok with having no Mario RPGs for several years.
It'll be dormant until they find a new developper for it.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I think Mario & Luigi will come back after a while. Pretty successful and well-rated series. They'll just calm down on the unnecessary remakes.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
it was a successful series, but i think the 4 3DS entries collectively ruined its potential future.
The first two didn't ruin anything.
The first remake got criticism (for meh reasons) due to its new look, and the last one, while great, released when the 3DS was dead.

Let's not mistake Nintendo's terrible release choices with the quality of the games.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The first two didn't ruin anything.
The first remake got criticism (for meh reasons) due to its new look, and the last one, while great, released when the 3DS was dead.

Let's not mistake Nintendo's terrible release choices with the quality of the games.
i just don't think it's as an exciting IP anymore, and imo it's ok to just let some IPs die away. with alphadream now being gone, it's not like there are a ton of studios out there who nintendo can hire to make a new mario RPG, i think they'll just focus on paper mario from now on.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
who's gonna make it?
Camelot?
i just don't think it's as an exciting IP anymore, and imo it's ok to just let some IPs die away. with alphadream now being gone, it's not like there are a ton of studios out there who nintendo can hire to make a new mario RPG, i think they'll just focus on paper mario from now on.
I completely agree it's ok to let some IPs die. Just like Paper Mario should have died after 2.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The next Mario RPG will actually be Super Princess Peach RPG developed by Gust.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
Mario & Luigi peaked sales-wise with Bowser's Inside Story. Dream Team did well for a spin-off relatively early in the 3DS' life, but the growth seen from 2 to 3 on the same platform didn't happen, with Paper Jam just scraping passed 1 million units.

I wouldn't completely blame the remakes for the series' decline. I think people were just growing tired of it. Didn't help that Paper Jam was this weird mish-mash that no one really asked for.

I was personally looking forward to seeing AlphaDream try something new and thought the remakes were just stopgaps.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
when they could be making more lucrative games? I guess if Nintendo decided to hold off on sports games for now or Camelot expanded
Any studio could work on more lucrative games. Same for Monolith or others.
That's not really how Nintendo works though (nor that was the question).
i think if camelot were to make a new JRPG there's another IP that would get people way more excited...
Considering that M&L sold way better and reviewed just as well as Golden Sun, I'm not sure that the people that are "way more excited" are very objective.
well, the studio who made PM games is still around, and probably bigger than ever :)
can't say the same about mario and luigi.
I'm not sure IS is still there due to Paper Mario, nor did they die due to Advance Wars and Codename Steam being a failure.
You know just like me that this is a lot more complicated than that.

Sep 7, 2018
Anybody got save state files for Mario & Luigi Superstar saga that's past the dry bones desert puzzle? I've been trying to beat that part for years, but I just need to get past this part so I can beat the game.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any studio could work on more lucrative games. Same for Monolith or others.
That's not really how Nintendo works though (nor that was the question).
Monolith is though. that's why Takahashi made those comments about how Nintendo is only greenlighting Xenoblade games. Mario and Luigi was on the downturn while Mario Sports is still doing well enough. not to mention Camelot ain't that many people to do multiple projects. the opportunity costs just ain't in M&L's favor. otherwise, Alpha Dream would still be alive, working on a new M&L game in Unity (which they were hiring for prior to closing)

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Monolith is though. that's why Takahashi made those comments about how Nintendo is only greenlighting Xenoblade games. Mario and Luigi was on the downturn while Mario Sports is still doing well enough. not to mention Camelot ain't that many people to do multiple projects. the opportunity costs just ain't in M&L's favor. otherwise, Alpha Dream would still be alive, working on a new M&L game in Unity (which they were hiring for prior to closing)

Would that not have been for that mobile games they worked on with Sony/Forwardworks?

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
the opportunity costs just ain't in M&L's favor. otherwise, Alpha Dream would still be alive, working on a new M&L game in Unity (which they were hiring for prior to closing)
Alpha Dream's issue was due to them having issues transitioning to new hardware basically (like many developers that gen). Slow to pivot, etc.
On October 1, 2019, AlphaDream declared bankruptcy, citing sluggish revenues and high development costs, and being unable to keep up with growing debt (which as of March 2018 was over ¥465 million).
Above is from wikipedia, but that's the gist of it. Poor management, and Nintendo isn't there to save every company, partner or not (although they definitely try to hire key people from those companies).

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Assuming the new Paper Mario from IS is real what aproach do you think they'll be taking with Mario&Luigi ? They'll wait and see if Paper Mario is well recieve and just stick with it or will they try giving it to someone else (maybe Monolith ?) because they still need more Mario RPGs ? If Paper Mario didn't work well for them we'd be in really weird situation, the only forseable other RPG would be a Kingdom Battle 2, but that's not really the same thing and I don't know if Nintendo is ok with having no Mario RPGs for several years.
None at all. The series has lost its developer and therefore its future.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Alpha Dream's issue was due to them having issues transitioning to new hardware basically (like many developers that gen). Slow to pivot, etc.

Above is from wikipedia, but that's the gist of it. Poor management, and Nintendo isn't there to save every company, partner or not (although they definitely try to hire key people from those companies).

Yup. AlphaDream only has themselves to blame for their bankruptcy.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I think Mario & Luigi could come back but it might be a few years and after some heavy fan demand. The original game will be crossing into the nostalgia range pretty soon coming up on 20 years since its initial release (Jesus Christ I'm old). It's going to probably require a developer who really wants to make one, though.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Posted it in the Direct thread:
shinesparkers.net

Concept Artwork surfaces for rumoured Sheik and Boo titles by Retro Studios

Shinesparkers have received links to concept artwork which claim to be from two cancelled titles based on the characters Boo and Sheik from the Super Mario and The Legend of Zelda universes respect…

Apparently from two cancelled Retro projects:
- Boo (2006-2007)
- Sheik/Zelda project (2005-2008)
what try to make Shiek male (or any explicit gender) when the whole point of the character was that Shiek was Zelda in disguise