• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I'm willing to bet the farm that game isn't coming out in 2020. We are still waiting on two other games announced in 2017 that are "now in development" and won't release in 2019. Also, with the picture Nintendo tweeted the other day, the game isn't on the board at all.

D89bH9OUwAINpup

I hope I am wrong but thise feels like a 2021 game.
They didn't put a date on the trailer, of course they didn't put it on the list. They could still be internally shooting for 2020 and just not ready to announce it yet

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
The fact that no journalist, at E3, asks Nintendo what's in going on with Retro, makes me really said about the journalism situation in gaming.

I love my profession, but man...
Why would they be asking them about software that isn't at E3 instead of all the other games they showed off? Nintendo would just dodge the question or give the typical 'Retro is working hard but we have nothing to talk about at this time' answer.

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
Why would they be asking them about software that isn't at E3 instead of all the other games they showed off? Nintendo would just dodge the question or give the typical 'Retro is working hard but we have nothing to talk about at this time' answer.

They should ask why a company exists for 5 years without producing nothing. What kind of resources are they spending on Retro and why they are giving a company that hasn't produced nothing for five years such big franchise like Metroid Prime, knowing that the names behind the original trilogy arent at the company anymore.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm willing to bet the farm that game isn't coming out in 2020. We are still waiting on two other games announced in 2017 that are "now in development" and won't release in 2019. Also, with the picture Nintendo tweeted the other day, the game isn't on the board at all.

D89bH9OUwAINpup

I hope I am wrong but thise feels like a 2021 game.
Zell leaked BotW2 for 2020 months ago, and all of his other predictions were on point. So I fully believe that at least internally 2020 is the target for release. Plus it would fit the "one Zelda per year" formula.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
They should ask why a company exists for 5 years without producing nothing. What kind of resources are they spending on Retro and why they are giving a company that hasn't produced nothing for five years such big franchise like Metroid Prime, knowing that the names behind the original trilogy arent at the company anymore.
You're new to this, aren't you? "Retro Studios has been hard at work crafting a new entry that aims to delight fans of the highly acclaimed First Person Adventure take on the Metroid series that they originally created and evolved throughout the years after taking a break and reinventing the Donkey Kong Country series to equally high acclaim. Try their latest work with Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze on Nintendo Switch, with a New Funky Mode. We will have more to share on Retro Studios and their new game, Metroid Prime 4, as we get closer to release. Please look forward to it."

There you go. That is the answer to your question and all other versions of a question about what is up with Retro Studios. Exactly this and nothing more.

Villa

Oct 28, 2017
You're new to this, aren't you? "Retro Studios has been hard at work crafting a new entry that aims to delight fans of the highly acclaimed First Person Adventure take on the Metroid series that they originally created and evolved throughout the years after taking a break and reinventing the Donkey Kong Country series to equally high acclaim. Try their latest work with Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze on Nintendo Switch, with a New Funky Mode. We will have more to share on Retro Studios and their new game, Metroid Prime 4, as we get closer to release. Please look forward to it."

There you go. That is the answer to your question and all other versions of a question about what is up with Retro Studios. Exactly this and nothing more.
Almost every post I read from you is very condescending and dismissive. Can't you disagree with someone and point out why without insulting them or their intelligence?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Almost every post I read from you is very condescending and dismissive. Can't you disagree with someone and point out why without insulting them or their intelligence?
He can't. He's always dismissive and like you said condescending other posters like he's some high and mighty lord. Always acts like he knows more than everyone.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017

There you go. That is the answer to your question and all other versions of a question about what is up with Retro Studios. Exactly this and nothing more

No, thats just speculation on your part and you're trying to push it as fact. Actually what you say makes absolutely no sense.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
No, thats just speculation on your part and you're trying to push it as fact. Actually what you say makes absolutely no sense.
Yo, this is how this works. They're not gonna give anyone an answer that goes into "so they had their games canceled and their new ip is dead and star fox racing was bad and now they got mp4 to redeem themselves."

I'm not insulting anyone. The poster clearly doesn't know how the usual PR dodging works is all.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Zell leaked BotW2 for 2020 months ago, and all of his other predictions were on point. So I fully believe that at least internally 2020 is the target for release. Plus it would fit the "one Zelda per year" formula.
Maybe but Nintendo is notorious for delaying 3D Zelda games. Believe me I hope we get a three year turn aroundtime ala Majjoras Mask but I am choosing to remain skeptical at this time.

Nov 3, 2017
Maybe but Nintendo is notorious for delaying 3D Zelda games. Believe me I hope we get a three year turn aroundtime ala Majjoras Mask but I am choosing to remain skeptical at this time.

I 100% believe in Zell however I do agree that while Nintendo may have an internal target of 2020, they don't want to publicly delay the game. That's why they used the very interesting term "Now In Development" rather than something like "Coming Soon"

Oct 25, 2017
BOTW2 is almost certainly internally targeting 2020. But it's too far out to be confident enough to say it publicly. Nintendo doesn't wanna burn people with delays and they've been pretty good about it overall this generation, with the only real delays being Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, and Metroid Prime.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is the first confirmation we got about Grezzo developing Link's Awakening (as I suspected)-

Dec 23, 2017
Very curious about 2020. I mean animal crossing and Bayo3 are a lock but we can't say anything else is. 2020 is a year of intrigue in what Nintendo will bring to the switch.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, it seemed obvious to me going by their "would you like to make a legend with us 2" job postings from a couple years ago. I'm glad there's now confirmation, even if that took way longer than it should have.
True, though I'm surprised it's a 2D Zelda. I had assumed Nintendo had their own 2D Zelda team for ALBW wonder, if it's just the Zelda team on both and they're full force in BotW2 now?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
True, though I'm surprised it's a 2D Zelda. I had assumed Nintendo had their own 2D Zelda team for ALBW wonder, if it's just the Zelda team on both and they're full force in BotW2 now?

Yep, presumably they're all hands on deck to release BOTW2 in 2020. With Monolithsoft assisting as well.

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
The main 2D Zelda leads were Hiromasa Shikata, Shiro Mouri, and someone else who I can't remember.

That specific "team" may have been broken up, as Mouri was the NSMBU director and Shikata is rumoured to have directed 1-2 Switch.

It could be another Wii U situation, where they were initially taken off ALBW to get games out for the system's launch and then later returned to Zelda.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Glad we finally have confirmation that Grezzo is working on the remake for Link's Awakening! They're certainly a talented bunch of developers.

Also thief game confirmed!?!

Aonuma: I can't really speak to that too specifically—I might use the ideas I have for a next Zelda, or whatever series I might be working on in the future.

I'm joking of course, even if I wish a new IP was on its way.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the 2d Zelda team is making non zelda zelda games

aka muramases castle and star tropics and the like

A new 2D Murasame Castle would be fantastic. The original is still one of my favorite Famicom games!

If they wanted to reboot the series in 3D, I honestly think that Platinum is the best fit; though their hands are quite full at the moment, between Astral Chain, Bayonetta 3, and their other projects outside Nintendo.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
A new 2D Murasame Castle would be fantastic. The original is still one of my favorite Famicom games!

If they wanted to reboot the series in 3D, I honestly think that Platinum is the best fit; though their hands are quite full at the moment, between Astral Chain, Bayonetta 3, and their other projects outside Nintendo.
never played itnot sure how w new one go.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
never played itnot sure how w new one go.

Compared with the original Zelda, Murasame Castle is a much more action focused game. It's divided into stages, of which there's generally two kinds: outdoor maps and indoor maps. In the outdoor maps, you have to find the exit to get to the next map (the castle). In the castles, you have to find and defeat the boss to proceed. There's all sorts of hidden powerups for Takamaru to use. It's a very challenging game, but definitely one of my favorites from that era.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Grezzo news surprised me a little because I was expected Shikata and Mouri to work on it with an internal team but it looks like the latter directed NSMBUDX. I guess Shikata might still be directing the LA remake though.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
How big is Grezzo again? Did they have a team working on LA at the same time as the 3DS version of Luigi's Mansion?

Speaking of which, something fun I remembered from Treehouse; despite appearing in the 3DS version of the original first, Gooigi is in fact a creation of Next-Level games, not Grezzo.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I can't imagine Nintendo wasting their time on a 2D Murasame Castle. the IP has no weight and relegating it to 2D would put it at a disadvantage

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine Nintendo wasting their time on a 2D Murasame Castle. the IP has no weight and relegating it to 2D would put it at a disadvantage

I'm not saying it would happen, I'm saying it would be great if it did.

I still think the series could return in the future, whether that be 2D or 3D. There's even some sort of Takamaru effect in Mario Maker 2; I think there's people at Nintendo who are certainly fond of the game at least.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I might be misremembering but wasn't NSMBU done a while ago? That might have freed up Mouri to work on LA.
Nobody know when they were done with that one. It's one of those they could've had sitting on the backburner for a long time completely finished and ready to go since we'd heard about it from the rumor circle a year before it came out and a good 9?months before it was announced.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure Nintendo could get PlatinumGames to work on a new 3D Muramasa's Castle with the same artstyle as Okami World of Demons.

mera

Oct 2, 2018
playing my switch
I'm so excited for quarter 3! So many great games releasing. I'm personally very excited for fire emblem three houses, astral chain and links awakening.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I remember years ago reading that Kamiya was interested in the series. Wonder what he's up to now...
Based on Kamiya's past comments, they would definitely be willing... but I think Nintendo doesn't see much value in the IP.

Knowing Nintendo, Kamiya could pitch a new Murasame Castle and they would go "Hey, why don't you make a new IP?"

PLATINUMGAMES AND NINTENDO PRESENT

A GAME BY VISIONARY CREATOR HIDEKI KAMIYA

ICE RINK SAMURAI

RC3LYoS.jpg

The Three

Sep 11, 2018
I'm definitely on #Team2020 for BotW2. Based on the comment about DLC I think it could have even been in conceptual development in 2017.

Last edited:

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely on #Team2020 for BotW2. Based on the comment about DLC think it could have even been in conceptual development in 2017.
I would say that's likely. Hidemaro Fujibayashi (director), Daiki Iwamoto (assistant director), Satoru Takizawa (art director), and Takuhiro Dohta (technical director) were only supervisors for the DLC and other staff handled it. I'm guessing the expansion pass content had already been decided by the game's launch.

Hajime Wakai, the sound director was also only supervising, but the EPD sound team doesn't usually stick to one development group so that isn't not too surprising. Saying that, Wakai has pretty much stuck to Zelda since Skyward Sword anyway.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
2D Zelda "team" is just the leads anyway.
Ah fair enough, for some reason outside of the leads I assumed some of the team were always split.

Also I just noticed that the quote from Aonuma has been adjusted with "whatever Zelda" added:

Aonuma: I can't really speak to that too specifically—I might use the ideas I have for a next Zelda, or whatever Zelda series I might be working on in the future.