• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Nope. Too late for this week.
Not that this is in any way of me saying "It's happening", because I honestly don't know.

However

In May 2015, we got an announcement on Friday of a Direct on the Sunday. It showed the first Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon footage and was during the Pokémon National Championships so I remember it well how it intruded into my fun on that Sunday

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also the name of the game was terrible. They needed to make it clear that the game was a crossover between MegaTen and FE in the title. "Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE" doesn't do that
Making it clear that it's a crossover isn't going to help. That was how the game was actually announced. It's just wasn't what people wanted. Maybe, now that the taint of the botched rereveal has washed out, the game would be more receptive. But the game tanked way too damn hard

Nov 8, 2017
Considering that the next "big" Switch game is Yoshi in March, 30.
What are you guys getting from now until its release?

I'm starting Tales now, less than 5hs in. But mI'm planning on getting another RPG after that, but I'm torn between Torna and Ys VIII.
Also I was thinking about getting 2 or 3 short indies, but have no idea what to get.

What about you guys?

Playing Smash now & then to pick up the remaining spirits I need but, I'm currently spending most of my free gaming time on PS4 resi evil 2 & KH3. Will play MHW again tomorrow when Geralt drops.

Who knows when I'll be actively playing Switch again.....there's nothing new on the horizon that interests me at the moment.
I am tempted by Tales of Vesperia though but I've never played a tales game so need to do a bit more reasrch on it.
Will probably replay Xenoblade 2 at some point too.

Deleted member 21

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I was wondering: is there any interest in having a dedicated 'Nintendo Direct Speculation |OT|' to keep this one more focused on 1st party discussions?

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
I gotta say we're only 7 days into February and the release list for the rest of the month is looking fairly light on for interesting games.

I was wondering: is there any interest in having a dedicated 'Nintendo Direct Speculation |OT|' to keep this one more focused on 1st party discussions?

Yes

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK

It probably makes sense... but I think it sounds like a pretty miserable thread to be honest.

At least when Direct discussion comes on thick in this thread we still get some posts that are broader discussion and help keep things interesting. So yea, I don't really mind a bit of Direct speculation mixed in with the 1st Party discussions - as long as we avoid countdowns for rumours, which to be fair, hasn't happened for a long time now.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
That is ironically enough exactly what I suggested several pages ago.
There is the very real issue of the old carryover mentality (and sadly, reality) that hangouts is where threads go to die and nobody goes there. is the moderation team so vehemently opposed to bending to public demand and just simply letting someone create a dedicated "Direct Speculation thread" where people can go and do just this without it negatively affecting other threads that are intended for other discussion matters (such as this one or the rumor archive or even the community thread)? I mean, it seems like the obvious and easiest solution to this topic that does create a lot of tension for no good reason. Some thread is gonna get derailed somewhere, so why not just have one that is actually where people can have their discussion and speculation focused on this one thing. At some point, the rules hurt more than they help matters.

Just a suggestion (but also the only right move, honestly). :)

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
There is but I believe we will end up talking about the same in both of them. Direct speculation isnt only about the date but its content too. And the lack of Directs, and therefore 1st party announcements and Nintendo strategies would discussed here as well.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
Jan = NSMBU Deluxe
Mar = Yoshi's Crafted World
May = Daemon X Machina
Jul = Luigi's Mansion 3
Sep = Animal Crossing
Nov = Pokemon

Seems a bit too much of a coincidence that the retail leak combined with what we "know" (Pokemon in November is an assumption) results in a title every other month.

That said, Animal Crossing in September makes complete sense as it's an Online game (and one we all hope/expect will have bigger Online) releasing at exactly 1 year after NSO services launched. Good way to make people renew their subscription.

Daemon X Machina has been placed in or around May by a lot of people in this thread during their predictions. Doesn't make it any more accurate, but at least we all agree on something!

Luigi's Mansion 3 has always felt like an October release for me, but they have released titles in the series earlier in the year before. Also, it felt like a title that was "further along" in development than Animal Crossing.

Finally, have to say, the above is a pretty strong year for Nintendo. We also have Fire Emblem and MUA (yes, and "Town" and Final Fantasy ports) so it's pretty exciting to imagine what gets placed in those missing alternate months. Well, apart from February of course... and maybe April...

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It would be nice, but if it is relegated to Hangouts, it will kind of just slip off the radar like the community thread and discussion will gravitate back here.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone says Luigi's Mansion 3 is October (predicting that), but it's Nintendo. They really don't give a crap about lining up games with holidays. They will release it when they feel like it. Luigi's Mansion 3 could be any month, except November.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Aren't 3ds games close enouph to GameCube they couod just wind waker hd kid icarus, update models for so.e important characters, I proved textures and lighting, and we done

fepeinado

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Jan = NSMBU Deluxe
Mar = Yoshi's Crafted World
May = Daemon X Machina
Jul = Luigi's Mansion 3
Sep = Animal Crossing
Nov = Pokemon

Seems a bit too much of a coincidence that the retail leak combined with what we "know" (Pokemon in November is an assumption) results in a title every other month.

That said, Animal Crossing in September makes complete sense as it's an Online game (and one we all hope/expect will have bigger Online) releasing at exactly 1 year after NSO services launched. Good way to make people renew their subscription.

Daemon X Machina has been placed in or around May by a lot of people in this thread during their predictions. Doesn't make it any more accurate, but at least we all agree on something!

Luigi's Mansion 3 has always felt like an October release for me, but they have released titles in the series earlier in the year before. Also, it felt like a title that was "further along" in development than Animal Crossing.

Finally, have to say, the above is a pretty strong year for Nintendo. We also have Fire Emblem and MUA (yes, and "Town" and Final Fantasy ports) so it's pretty exciting to imagine what gets placed in those missing alternate months. Well, apart from February of course... and maybe April...
we have several third parties releasing in April, so maybe they are not releasing nothing just to give those titles the spotlight
Also, if FF VII is really going to be released soon, maybe Nintendo has some kind of agreement with SE to focus on those titles during the release month and avoid releasing anything 1st party.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I'd still advise people to look at fiscal years rather than strict Jan-Dec. Nintendo likes to juggle around dates and they've got a lot of meaty stuff on the horizon. I don't think it's a coincidence Feb/March is looking pretty dry and happen to be the last two months of the fiscal year.

Wave #3 of their release line-up will be April 2019 to March 2020. They'll be focusing on software for that period to draw big numbers for the next fiscal year.

mera

Oct 2, 2018
playing my switch
I think at this point it's needed to keep this thread's discussion on topic, there's far too much fan-anxiety and demand for a direct so this thread will constantly go off-topic unless one is created (as can be evidenced lol)

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
Hrmm that Base "leak" is a bit weird actually. They're not actually that random a retailer. I mean, they're certainly not comparable to those Czech retail listings. Either they know something, or they're making a cheeky and educated guess. Either way, they're a significant enough retailer that I'm surprised they'd want to annoy Nintendo with a leak. It's a strange one to be honest, and I'm not sure why it got dismissed so quickly. They're a reasonably big independent retailer.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
I'd still advise people to look at fiscal years rather than strict Jan-Dec. Nintendo likes to juggle around dates and they've got a lot of meaty stuff on the horizon. I don't think it's a coincidence Feb/March is looking pretty dry and happen to be the last two months of the fiscal year.

Wave #3 of their release line-up will be April 2019 to March 2020. They'll be focusing on software for that period to draw big numbers for the next fiscal year.

Continuing with this, their new revised FY sales projections are extremely conservative, to the point of expecting a YOY decrease in sales for their fourth quarter.

I would take this to mean they have no major plans for Q1 2019, and am expecting a late February or, more likely, March Direct to kick off their FY 2019.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
IS is an independent company and it is not owned by Nintendo, so yeah, they co-own the games they do. Although, they are so close to Nintendo that do they even bother with legal papers detailing who owns which game?
People always like to argument semantics about whether Nintendo owns a lot of their first party properties. They de facto own Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Mother, etc. While these other studios are technically independent, they are run and operated by former Nintendo employees and close friends of Nintendo employees. The studios are funded by Nintendo and sometimes have their offices within Nintendo's HQ. Game Freak is the most independent but they'll never be able to put Pokemon on any non-Nintendo platform without blessing from Nintendo themselves.

Nice fan fiction you got there. Hope you find success.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Continuing with this, their new revised FY sales projections are extremely conservative, to the point of expecting a YOY decrease in sales for their fourth quarter.

I would take this to mean they have no major plans for Q1 2019, and am expecting a late February or, more likely, March Direct to kick off their FY 2019.

Bingo. 20mil was a very high target, but 17mil is quite a downgrade. It's a conservative readjustment and hugely indicative of Jan/Feb/March. Nintendo will coast through until FY3 Q1 starts in April.

Deleted member 21

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
One point I'd like to address: while there will be ultimately some kind of overlap between 1st party discussions and Direct discussions, I imagine the Direct thread would be more focused on speculation, possible leaks and rumors than this one. It would basically be a thread to contain "all the madness" in one place to keep this thread more level-headed and on-topic.

We've discussed to have a dedicated thread after Moon's suggestion yesterday and came to the conclusion that this might work for the best going forward. So: if anybody is interested to make that thread, they are officially allowed to do so.

Only thing I'd like to ask for is that the OP keeps the opening post updated and tries to keep up with the discussion/speculation.

It would be nice, but if it is relegated to Hangouts, it will kind of just slip off the radar like the community thread and discussion will gravitate back here.

It would stay in the main Gaming forum just like this thread

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
What leakers? It's been so silent, the chances for today are 1%.

EH9wPxC.jpg

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One point I'd like to address: while there will be ultimately some kind of overlap between 1st party discussions and Direct discussions, I imagine the Direct thread would be more focused on speculation, possible leaks and rumors than this one. It would basically be a thread to contain "all the madness" in one place to keep this thread more level-headed and on-topic.

We've discussed to have a dedicated thread after Moon's suggestion yesterday and came to the conclusion that this might work for the best going forward. So: if anybody is interested to make that thread, they are officially allowed to do so.

Only thing I'd like to ask for is that the OP keeps the opening post updated and tries to keep up with the discussion/speculation.

It would stay in the main Gaming forum just like this thread
Nice. Alright who wants to make the Direct Speculation topic?

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Well, we just got our asylum.

Just joking. I have been itching to talk about possible third party titles that could appear in a direct, but this thread is not the right place for such discussion. Very happy to have a dedicated direct thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.