• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 11, 2018
Not sure if you're an AC fan, but if you remember the 3 year wait with no news on New Leaf for 2 years and 8 months, that's why people are worried about an AC delay. When they announced the 3DS, they showed AC pictures and acted like it was a very soon release. Granted, they didn't say a year or anything, but it seemed like it was coming soon.

Timeline went like this:
E3 2010 - AC:3DS announced/shown, mostly screenshots
E3 2011 - nothing
E3 2012 - nothing
Sometime after E3, AC confirmed for November release in Japan with no update on NA version.
February 2013 - Animal Crossing Direct after 2 years and 8 months of silence from the Big N
June 2013 - AC:NL finally releases, 3 years after being announced

They did just say at the investors meeting that none of their announced (or unannounced) titles for 2019 would be delayed. I've never heard them say anything like that with such confidence before. We'll see!

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
The idea is that this rumored revision will be launching in like April or May and they don't want to announce it so soon since announcing a revision (a cheaper one at that) will really slow sales of the current Switch model. So they're saving the announcement of the revision along with a number of games to launch it with (for maximum exposure) until a date closer to when it will launch.

This would explain:

1) Nintendo's lowered hardware forecast and profit forecast not changing despite it already being met
2) Nintendo's surprising silence since the start of the year, even including lack of Smash PR
3) Several retailers listing April 29th for Animal Crossing (if the revision launches then it might have an AC bundle with the game itself activating at a later date)
I mean I get your points but I don't think they need to wait for the reveal of the possible revision to start talking about all the games that supposedly are coming out this year. Pokemon and Animal Crossing are big enough to support the launch of a new model, especially one of the rumored kind. But what about Luigis Mansion or Bayonetta 3, for example? Fair points, but not valid enough to justify Nintendo attitude towards PR in my opinion.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
You'll get "it's early February!" and you know it.

You people sometimes seems to lose the point. We're discussing products around here. Games are coming, this is one big company on a big industry, and they want your money. So stop making numbers, the Direct will come when the mates in suits want.
Except games (which I personally want) aren't coming. That's sort of the problem.

SerKwak

Apr 6, 2018
The lack of information regarding first party titles is deafening and frustrating at this point. I love to lurk in this thread and I am looking forward to Yoshi but yeah I am dissapointed about the lack of news. I dont want a repeat of 2018 ( first party wise).

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
i dont think its unreasonable to hope for Nintendo to confirm that they have release dates for more than just Yoshi for this entire year, or that they would've had at least a single game on the entire month of February

SurTAR

Dec 9, 2018
User Warned - Ignoring Mod Post
Can someone update the days without Direct's list? We must be close to the record.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
The idea is that this rumored revision will be launching in like April or May and they don't want to announce it so soon since announcing a revision (a cheaper one at that) will really slow sales of the current Switch model. So they're saving the announcement of the revision along with a number of games to launch it with (for maximum exposure) until a date closer to when it will launch.

This would explain:

1) Nintendo's lowered hardware forecast and profit forecast not changing despite it already being met
2) Nintendo's surprising silence since the start of the year, even including lack of Smash PR
3) Several retailers listing April 29th for Animal Crossing (if the revision launches then it might have an AC bundle with the game itself activating at a later date)
A switch mini + plus animal crossing in April would benefit the other games coming out afterwards since they would release on a larger install base. So in a way, It does make sense.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
They did just say at the investors meeting that none of their announced (or unannounced) titles for 2019 would be delayed. I've never heard them say anything like that with such confidence before. We'll see!
At the 2014 game awards, aonuma said with strong confidence that zelda u would be coming out before starfox which was already set for later 2015. To the point he was laughing.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
2019 wont be a repeat of 2018 because we have Yoshi, FE, Pokémon, AC, LM and Emily's 4 mystery games which is already way better

It's just annoying that we haven't seen them

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The lack of information regarding first party titles is deafening and frustrating at this point. I love to lurk in this thread and I am looking forward to Yoshi but yeah I am dissapointed about the lack of news. I dont want a repeat of 2018 ( first party wise).
It won't be a repeat of 2018. We know more about new first party games this year compared to last year.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I get your points but I don't think they need to wait for the reveal of the possible revision to start talking about all the games that supposedly are coming out this year. Pokemon and Animal Crossing are big enough to support the launch of a new model, especially one of the rumored kind. But what about Luigis Mansion or Bayonetta 3, for example? Fair points, but not valid enough to justify Nintendo attitude towards PR in my opinion.

Nintendo doesn't like to make too many separate announcements. They don't want to have a big Direct in January with games like Luigi's Mansion followed by another big Direct in late February or early March announcing a revision and showing Animal Crossing. They want as many eyes as possible on their Directs, so splitting up announcements also splits the amount of people that pay attention to each.

At least this is how they've done things. I guess they could've done a mini in January like last year but for whatever reason chose not to.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Next month would make half a year without Nintendo news...

mjgrin.png

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo doesn't like to make too many separate announcements. They don't want to have a big Direct in January with games like Luigi's Mansion followed by another big Direct in late February or early March announcing a revision and showing Animal Crossing. They want as many eyes as possible on their Directs, so splitting up announcements also splits the amount of people that pay attention to each.

At least this is how they've done things. I guess they could've done a mini in January like last year but for whatever reason chose not to.
They chose not to do a mini because they have actual legit new games to show, I think. The mini had a ton of remasters and Mario Tennis I think was the only new one. When the direct comes it'll no doubt be big but it's just frustrating that it's taking so long

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017

They always can show a few screenshots or reveal a release date in a tweet, like they ve done with other matters, not necessarely they have to air a Direct. The good thing is we ll soon see if you are right or not :)

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They chose not to do a mini because they have actual legit new games to show, I think. The mini had a ton of remasters and Mario Tennis I think was the only new one. When the direct comes it'll no doubt be big but it's just frustrating that it's taking so long
I'm kinda hoping that's the case and they'll do a big Fire Emblem specific blowout a week or two later. That's assuming Three Houses is out in April/May though.

Jan 3, 2018
She obviously said 70% (Emily actually said 70% or higher) to cover her own back as plans change and if she said they are 100% coming and they don't then she would get all the usual harassment etc.

Insiders are being extra cautious for good reason.

I was just responding to the notion that all those games are 100% confirmed for 2019, which they aren't. 70% or higher referred to the entire group of games, so maybe 3 of the 4 retail games are 70% and one game is 90%. 70% chance is good but not great.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
I mean as much as I don't want it to, AC could easily still be delayed. They announced it just in september with not even a title. That seems super early for it to come out within a year considering how long it took for new leaf after it was announced, and even had a demo then.

If anything, with Switch Nintendo went with much less time between announcement and release,
don't forget Smash Bros Ultimate was announced in March 2018. (without title) and was released at beginning of December of same year,
on other hand Smash Bros 4 was announced 3.5 years before launch. Also Pokemon Lets Go was announced at end of May and it was released in November of same year, and Super Mario Party was announced at E3 and released only 4 months later, and those 3 were biggest Switch games of year.

Like people stated, Nintendo is quite sure that Pokemon and Animal Crossing will their biggest games of 2019. and thats why they announce them in 2018,
there was no need that Nintendo show Animal Crossing at September Direct with year of relase if they are not sure about.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
When you have an enormous gap in your release window that's 2 1/2 months between your last games (ToV, TSA, NSMBU) and Yoshi in the very last week of March, and every other platform are getting gigantic blockbuster games left and right literally every single week 3 months straight:

"Why do you guys expect a direct? Come on guys, stop bothering about a direct. They never promised you one. Just appreciate what you have now on the platform like this one niche indie game! Or all these old games released months to years ago."

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Buckling in for the Wii U era drought.

Edit: oh Christ top of page. It's an obvious joke plz

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Even if we don't get anything now, 2019 seems even now like a far better year than 2018 for me, mainly because it seems the focus this year will be single player games. I'm not saying last year games were bad, but I'm not really a fan of multiplayer games.
I'm looking forward to seeing the new gen 8 and if IS manages to write something decent for the new FE story.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I was just responding to the notion that all those games are 100% confirmed for 2019, which they aren't. 70% or higher referred to the entire group of games, so maybe 3 of the 4 retail games are 70% and one game is 90%. 70% chance is good but not great.

No game is 100% confirmed for a particular date until it actually releases on that date. 70% chance or higher is an extremely high chance for games that haven't even been announced yet.

Some arguments here to defend Nintendo are just silly.

Some negative comments are just as silly if not more so.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
As good as Smash was it didn't make me forget how dreary the rest of the year was. Q1 2019 will be remembered as bad no matter how good the rest of the year might be.

Anyway the 17M revision was an indication, I think, that they're done for this fiscal year and all their eggs will be in the April-December basket. They don't need new announcements before March really.

This would explain:

This is a sound theory but don't forget how convinced we were that they wouldn't launch NSO without a big online game to go along with it. Things never go quite so perfectly.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Hmm so far this year Nintendo has restarted development on one of it's most anticipated games, reduced its Switch sales forecast, offered only a Wii U port for the winter and a date for Yoshi at the tail end of Q1, while staying absolutely silent going into February now while major 2019 games remain with scarce or no details. Strange way to kick off 2019. Unfortunately makes me feel like I'm gonna set way too high expectations for the next Direct whenever that may come.

Richardbro

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I wonder what EAD (EPD) tokyo is up too this year. There is very likely a few unannounced titles coming this year.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
When you have an enormous gap in your release window that's 2 1/2 months between your last games (ToV, TSA, NSMBU) and Yoshi in the very last week of March, and every other platform are getting gigantic blockbuster games left and right literally every single week 3 months straight:

"Why do you guys expect a direct? Come on guys, stop bothering about a direct. They never promised you one. Just appreciate what you have now on the platform like this one niche indie game! Or all these old games released months to years ago."

I agree, i read some people saying April is going to be packed but right now there's only Yoshi to look forward to.

Al those FF games I already played on PS2, PS3 and PS4. Dragons dogma is great but that's also going to be a game that got released on PS3 and PS4 leaving April quite empty as well.

Oct 27, 2017
I agree, i read some people saying April is going to be packed but right now there's only Yoshi to look forward to.

Al those FF games I already played on PS2, PS3 and PS4. Dragons dogma is great but that's also going to be a game that got released on PS3 and PS4 leaving April quite empty as well.
There are new games in April. There's Super Dragonball Heroes, Mortal Kombat 11.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
As good as Smash was it didn't make me forget how dreary the rest of the year was. Q1 2019 will be remembered as bad no matter how good the rest of the year might be.

Anyway the 17M revision was an indication, I think, that they're done for this fiscal year and all their eggs will be in the April-December basket. They don't need new announcements before March really.

people could sell their switch if they don't see new announcements, especially after the metroid restart news while other platforms are getting tons of aaa games. not everyone is interested in animal crossing "2019". they need to show something ASAP

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
people could sell their switch if they don't see new announcements, especially after the metroid restart news while other platforms are getting tons of aaa games. not everyone is interested in animal crossing "2019". they need to show something ASAP

The console and games are still selling well, they don't "need" to do anything. We had periods of time on the PS4 without many games in the first few years of it's launch but people don't really talk about that now do they?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
This is a sound theory but don't forget how convinced we were that they wouldn't launch NSO without a big online game to go along with it. Things never go quite so perfectly.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if I was completely wrong, it just seems like as good a theory as any I've seen at the moment.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I think both things are valid criticisms (the lack of new almost halfway into the quarter and the lack of big software) but not necessarily connected. A first-party blowout in the next few days wouldn't really change anything about the Q1 lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.