• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cbrotherson

Freelance Games & Comic Book Writer
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
Yeah that's a great point. They haven't given out any goals for that publicly but you're absolutely right that they will have an internal goal for subscriptions. SNES games will help massively with that.

I'm very curious to what its expectations were for the service and how close it is to hitting them, due to all the changes, delay and such…

Likewise, I think a significant content boost around the 1 year anniversary of the online service is on the cards too, to ensure people retain their subscription for another year. Whether that's when we see a third system added to the service (Gameboy or N64) I think it may be too soon, but it could also suggest a good time to add new content to their biggest Online games, such as some new DLC in Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, or indeed the launch of a new game that has a big multiplayer emphasis, such as Animal Crossing.

Definitely – while Nintendo historically doesn't always 'celebrate' anniversaries (I suspect that will change more over time), an online subscription ties directly with revenue and it would make sense to make the most of it. New content for big/evergreen games is a great way to energise that.

Do you guys remember these things about Retro?

I still find it hard to believe that these people worked on a Star Fox Racing game when they talk about narrative, non-linear storytelling and world building. And then this Jon Verall person.

To be honest, some racing games have a TON of narrative stuff done on them behind the scenes if there are any cut scenes at all, or even the slightest hint of a storyline (e.g. Need for Speed). Need for Speed is actually a good example – that sort of game requires a ton of work from a writer/narrative designer, especially when it comes to world building and non-linear storytelling, regardless of how much you see on screen or how a player feels about the story itself.

A Star Fox game – any Star Fox game, at this point – would require it, even if it's becoming a racing game, but *especially* if it's a story based racing game with a robust mission structure. Given Star Fox's existing lore, they'd need someone to do a good job in making it coherent.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
I know I'm sounding like a broken record up in here, but didn't someone hint that the Metroid Prime Trilogy was likely in the first half of the year?

I was hoping for February, but now I'm much less hopeful that we will see it before E3.

...which is gonna drive me crazy.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
third party games are included since Nintendo also consider those with their "at least one big title every month" strategy as we saw in the past.

Jan - NSMBU / TSA / ToV
Feb - TW101 port + SNES Games
Mar - Yoshi + some other port (Assassin's Creed trilogy remaster)
April - FF ports + Super Dragon Ball Heroes + Daemon X Machina
May - Dragon Quest XI + Town
Jun - Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 + Overwatch (shadow dropped at E3)
Jul - Fire Emblem Three Houses
Aug - Inazuma Eleven Ares
Sep - FIFA/NBA + Bayonetta 3 + Dragon Quest Builders 2 (Switch revision maybe launching this month)
Oct - Luigi's Mansion 3 + (Mortal Kombat 11 delayed?)
Nov - Pokémon
Dic - Animal Crossing

I hope Xenoblade Chronicles X port is real but it seems unlikely.

SMT V will be January of February of 2020 but i hope it comes out sooner.

Metroid Prime 4 is 2020.

Retro's game is 2020.

Expect a Direct coming early next week.

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Given their limited output over the past 5 years, I can't believe they'd have two major titles in the works, and both delayed into oblivion. I guess it's possible/likely they have the rumoured Metroid Prime Trilogy in development, alongside whatever their main project is right now. Whatever that main project is though, be it Star Fox GP or whatever, it seems to me that it's not the title they were working on 4 or 5 years ago. So yea, something got canned presumably.

Wouldn't one project being cancelled or shelved partially explain their limited output over the past 5 years? And we have no word that the rumored Star Fox project is delayed, so I'm not sure where that came from.

I honestly think the whole thing is fake and it was starlink

This theory has never made a lick of sense. Starlink isn't a racing game. Starlink sounds nothing like the rumored game. Starlink was announced and revealed before the rumors for this game came out.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be honest, some racing games have a TON of narrative stuff done on them behind the scenes if there are any cut scenes at all, or even the slightest hint of a storyline (e.g. Need for Speed). Need for Speed is actually a good example – that sort of game requires a ton of work from a writer/narrative designer, especially when it comes to world building and non-linear storytelling, regardless of how much you see on screen or how a player feels about the story itself.

A Star Fox game – any Star Fox game, at this point – would require it, even if it's becoming a racing game, but *especially* if it's a story based racing game with a robust mission structure. Given Star Fox's existing lore, they'd need someone to do a good job in making it coherent.

It does make sense since it's Star Fox and has decades of lore. I know they definitely wouldn't want to mess it up. Since the rumor said this game has Diddy Kong Racing single player, bosses, a hub world then that would all need to be explained out.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
We also haven't heard anything else beyond that one day when every unreliable insider put their 2 cents in and said it was real. Not buying that rumor at all.

Plenty of reliable insiders pitched in too. Who cares that we haven't heard anything since? All of those reports were based on months of discussion with their sources.

Sure, it's certainly possible the rumors are wrong (as is the case with all rumors) but there has been absolutely nothing new pointing to them being wrong. People just get antsy not knowing things for a long time and tend to convince themselves something is up.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't one project being cancelled or shelved partially explain their limited output over the past 5 years? And we have no word that the rumored Star Fox project is delayed, so I'm not sure where that came from.

This theory has never made a lick of sense. Starlink isn't a racing game. Starlink sounds nothing like the rumored game. Starlink was announced and revealed before the rumors for this game came out.
Plenty of reliable insiders pitched in too. Who cares that we haven't heard anything since? All of those reports were based on months of discussion with their sources.

Sure, it's certainly possible the rumors are wrong (as is the case with all rumors) but there has been absolutely nothing new pointing to them being wrong. People just get antsy not knowing things for a long time and tend to convince themselves something is up.
Still sounds phony to me.

starlink is just a note, I'm not saying it debunks the whole rumor

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Jan - NSMBU / TSA / ToV
Sep - FIFA/NBA + Bayonetta 3 + Dragon Quest Builders 2 (Switch revision maybe launching this month)
Nov - Pokémon
Dic - Animal Crossing

Metroid Prime 4 is 2020.

Retro's game is 2020.

Why would Overwatch be shadow-dropped when it isn't free-to-play & has a physical release on other systems? And even then, if Overwatch is Switch-bound, that'd be a reveal that Blizzard would save for Gamescom, Blizzcon, or a major Overwatch League match.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I already 100% believe Starfox GP is real. Since Liam said he spoke with someone close to Retro and they said working on Starfox was a dream come true for them and amazing.

I know most here don't like Liam, but I believe he wouldn't make that up.

cbrotherson

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
It does make sense since it's Star Fox and has decades of lore. I know they definitely wouldn't want to mess it up. Since the rumor said this game has Diddy Kong Racing single player, bosses, a hub world then that would all need to be explained out.

Definitely – and making narrative sense of a racing game can be a total nightmare to a pre-established 'semi-serious' series' that previously didn't have racing elements. Making it seem natural (without going down the self-aware humour route like with Diddy Kong) would be a challenge. But that's what writers love ;-)

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Why would Overwatch be shadow-dropped when it isn't free-to-play & has a physical release on other systems? And even then, if Overwatch is Switch-bound, that'd be a reveal that Blizzard would save for Gamescom, Blizzcon, or a major Overwatch League match.

Physical version coming later (Microsoft did the same with Minecraft).

Rocket League also shadow-dropped at E3 and then physical version came later.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TBH if I'm Retro Studios I'd be somewhat happy this leaked only because it puts people's expectations in check. Because if there wasn't a leak, everyone would be thinking they're working on some huge new IP for 5 years.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
That still doesn't answer the question of why June. Blizzard hasn't been a big player at E3 for years.

Because Nintendo wants that big online shadow drop at E3 (They did it in 2017 with Rocket League and then in 2018 with Fortnite), and they will guarantee them their Threehouse segment to showcase the game which is honestly a better way to sell your game on Switch than Blizzcon.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
third party games are included since Nintendo also consider those with their "at least one big title every month" strategy as we saw in the past.

Jan - NSMBU / TSA / ToV
Nov - Pokémon
Dic - Animal Crossing

Metroid Prime 4 is 2020.

Retro's game is 2020.

Where is prime trilogy?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Because Nintendo wants that big online shadow drop at E3 (They did it in 2017 with Rocket League and then in 2018 with Fortnite), and they will guarantee them their Threehouse segment to showcase the game which is honestly a better way to sell your game on Switch than Blizzcon.
While I could see us getting another shadow-drop at E3, I doubt it'd be a Blizzard game due to how they handle their own reveals. Their reveals are either out of the blue or at the events previously mentioned.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely – and making narrative sense of a racing game can be a total nightmare to a pre-established 'semi-serious' series' that previously didn't have racing elements. Making it seem natural (without going down the self-aware humour route like with Diddy Kong) would be a challenge. But that's what writers love ;-)
I guess I really never thought of it too much since it's a racing game and what goes behind the doors to make it work from the narrative perspective.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I'll ever be able to love again
Just hang this up on your wall and you'll be fine.

250px-Reggie_Fils-Aime_-_Game_Developers_Conference_2011_-_Day_3_%282%29.jpg

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know I'm sounding like a broken record up in here, but didn't someone hint that the Metroid Prime Trilogy was likely in the first half of the year?

I was hoping for February, but now I'm much less hopeful that we will see it before E3.

...which is gonna drive me crazy.
NateDrake said Metroid Prime Trilogy is real. He said if everything goes the way it was going then it'll be a first half 2019 release.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
NateDrake said Metroid Prime Trilogy is real. He said if everything goes the way it was going then it'll be a first half 2019 release.
Okay. That's what I remember reading. Just couldn't remember who said it.

I want to make a Metroid Prime Trilogy hype and speculation thread so my crazy will stop overflowing in here. Haha.

cbrotherson

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
I guess I really never thought of it too much since it's a racing game and what goes behind the doors to make it work from the narrative perspective.

To be fair, it's a 'how the sausage is made' sort of concern that players don't really need to think too much about as long as the game plays well. And most of the time, good writing and narrative is partly invisible, but it's amazing how much thought, time and consideration is required in narrative for some games where story isn't at the forefront. I've worked both sides of the fence as a critic/journo and with development, so I understand it a lot more than I used to.

I mean, people often slate Breath of the Wild for its story and how 'simple' it seems, but that would have taken a lot of work and storyboarding to become a reality and the process itself would have been far from simple. Keeping a story like that coherent and working within its own narrative, no matter how simple it may come across, is a huge job and requires many talented writers/narrative designers to keep it from falling apart. In storytelling, simplicity is often just as hard as a complex plot, but as soon as you throw in gameplay elements and an open world structure, it becomes a mammoth and somewhat thankless undertaking. I love that the Horizon Zero Dawn team was recognised for it, because my god, they're brilliant at what they do but it's not always obvious.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I also think there's room for a new sport / summery title (last year they had Sushi Striker and Mario Tennis Aces in June and then Go Vacation in August, in 2017 they had ARMS and Splatoon), maybe that Wave Race tease by Takahashi is real.

Can you imagine Retro Studios making it?

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
We also haven't heard anything else beyond that one day when every unreliable insider put their 2 cents in and said it was real. Not buying that rumor at all.

Some mods here have confirmed it, with a few even catching glimpses of gameplay. If it weren't, they would've said so.

We've already gone through this.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The SFGP discussion is pointless. People have made up their minds ages ago. We'll see once Retro announces their next game.

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair, it's a 'how the sausage is made' sort of concern that players don't really need to think too much about as long as the game plays well. And most of the time, good writing and narrative is partly invisible, but it's amazing how much thought, time and consideration is required in narrative for some games where story isn't at the forefront. I've worked both sides of the fence as a critic/journo and with development, so I understand it a lot more than I used to.

I mean, people often slate Breath of the Wild for its story and how 'simple' it seems, but that would have taken a lot of work and storyboarding to become a reality and the process itself would have been far from simple. Keeping a story like that coherent and working within its own narrative, no matter how simple it may come across, is a huge job and requires many talented writers/narrative designers to keep it from falling apart. In storytelling, simplicity is often just as hard as a complex plot, but as soon as you throw in gameplay elements and an open world structure, it becomes a mammoth and somewhat thankless undertaking. I love that the Horizon Zero Dawn team was recognised for it, because my god, they're brilliant at what they do but it's not always obvious.

The genius of a breath of the wild is that it opens up so early on that no two people running through that game will have the same stories to share. A lot of storyboarding for a more robust and played out plot may have factored into why they took the minimalist approach they did so that it wouldn't confine where the player had to go or do.

cbrotherson

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
The genius of a breath of the wild is that it opens up so early on that no two people running through that game will have the same stories to share. A lot of storyboarding for a more robust and played out plot may have factored into why they took the minimalist approach they did so that it wouldn't confine where the player had to go or do.

I agree. From the perspective of the player, its story is somewhat sparse, but as a narrative (which is different from story or plot), it's actually very, very complex, and more personal. Open world games are ridiculously difficult to write, but the very nature of Breath of the Wild's more open structure means that it had to make sense in all points of the game, no matter what the player did.

That sort of thing is intensely ambitious and painfully difficult to create, so pairing things down to familiar beats, and using a flashback memories structure was a very smart move. It likely would have been less work to make the plot more complex and have the story play out linearly.

Nov 28, 2018
Florida
I'd like to clarify some things. I did not intend for the Power Rangers game to go public. While my name is attached to it now, this was a sort of accident. I was not the one who made the 4chan thread and I was not the one who uploaded the mirrored trailer for the game. I didn't intend for the trailer to go public and whatnot. However, since my name is given on the link, I'll own up to it. Have a good day :)

...and yes, it's going to be on Switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.