• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After so many years, they could at least tell us that some exciting news are coming soon, or something like that.
That's not really their jurisdiction I think. I think that's up to Nintendo. You know know how tight grip Nintendo already is with announcements. They would never let Retro talk unless they gave them permission.

cbrotherson

Freelance Games & Comic Book Writer
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham

I suspect you're on the money, here.

A couple indie shadow-drops (Streets of Rogue is due about now?) and a semi-decent third party release, along with the brand power of SNES online and it's actually a very good marketing poke for a typically slow part of the year.

It's the sort of line up which doesn't canibalise itself (people are happy to buy multiple indie games at once, less so with big titles), and it keeps the momentum of new adopters (it may sound strange to us, but there are plenty of people who would be thinking about buying a Switch and be tipped over the edge with the arrival of SNES games).

Jan 2, 2018
Did they say about who's making the game specifically? All I heard is it's done by Marvelous in house. They always rely on other studios for games other than Story of Seasons/Rune Factory (Tamsoft makes Senran and Fate games), I don't remember them making something other than Story of Seasons.

The producer of Daemon X Machina, Kenichiro Tsukuda, also produced Armored Core 2 and 3.
The two directors, Ken Awata and Ken Karube, worked on Monster Hunter: Stories.
The mechanical concept designer, Shōji Kawamori, worked on mecha designs for Eureka Seven, Macross and Armored Core.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I suspect you're on the money, here.

A couple indie shadow-drops (Streets of Rogue is due about now?) and a semi-decent third party release, along with the brand power of SNES online and it's actually a very good marketing poke for a typically slow part of the year.

It's the sort of line up which doesn't canibalise itself (people are happy to buy multiple indie games at once, less so with big titles), and it keeps the momentum of new adopters (it may sound strange to us, but there are plenty of people who would be thinking about buying a Switch and be tipped over the edge with the arrival of SNES games).
February was my first guess for SNES games to arrive. Especially with Nintendo super quiet for that month they could shadow drop some of it in a February direct.

cbrotherson

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
February was my first guess for SNES games to arrive. Especially with Nintendo super quiet for that month they could shadow drop some of it in a February direct.

Yeah I think SNES games in February might be a smart move. But you never know.

Yeah, the SNES brand is crazy powerful. Dropping a first party game at the same time would be a waste.

From a marketing point of view, you can do a lot with SNES coming to Switch, and it would fill more mainstream media articles than, say, Metroid Trilogy (which everyone is obviously desperate for). No pre-amble required and very little spend needed.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
Something has been on my mind for a while and I wanted to know how would you guys feel about it.

Instead of having a Nintendo Direct in January/February every year, I would love to see Nintendo host a "NintendoCon" (similar to BlizzCon) where they could :

- Have a live presentation featuring upcoming games, new announcements, etc.

- Have a Treehouse showing different games during the weekend

- Have different panels will Nintendo developpers talking about their project, or even showing some footage of cancelled projects and stuff like that (the kind of thing I'd love to see from Nintendo!)

- Host Splatoon 2, ARMS and Super Smash Bros Ultimate tournaments

- etc.

Would be pretty cool I think!

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Clearly what they've been working on for the past few years is a ground up remake of the trilogy for switch, we solved it!

Derp

I wasnt saying it was the only thing they have been doing. But since they were behind their previos game ported, I wouldnt be in the slightest surprised if they also handled this port. If it does exist.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the SNES brand is crazy powerful. Dropping a first party game at the same time would be a waste.

From a marketing point of view, you can do a lot with SNES coming to Switch, and it would fill more mainstream media articles than, say, Metroid Trilogy (which everyone is obviously desperate for). No pre-amble required and very little spend needed.

Yeah it definitely seems like a smart, logical thing to do. But that's never been a guarantee before with Nintendo.

I think the issue (for us fans) is just that they don't really need to release much in February. They seem like they're well on their way to their FY goal without releasing much new software. They could save SNES games for some time in the next FY to boost sales if they need to.

Something has been on my mind for a while and I wanted to know how would you guys feel about it.

Instead of having a Nintendo Direct in January/February every year, I would love to see Nintendo host a "NintendoCon" (similar to BlizzCon) where they could :

- Have a live presentation featuring upcoming games, new announcements, etc.

- Have a Treehouse showing different games during the weekend

- Have different panels will Nintendo developpers talking about their project, or even showing some footage of cancelled projects and stuff like that (the kind of thing I'd love to see from Nintendo!)

- Host Splatoon 2, ARMS and Super Smash Bros Ultimate tournaments

- etc.

Would be pretty cool I think!

Sounds like Spaceworld 2.0.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo adding descriptions to the SNES games in yesterday's update certainly makes it look like SNES games are coming soon. February seems like a good bet.

cbrotherson

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
Yeah it definitely seems like a smart, logical thing to do. But that's never been a guarantee before with Nintendo.

I think the issue (for us fans) is just that they don't really need to release much in February. They seem like they're well on their way to their FY goal without releasing much new software. They could save SNES games for some time in the next FY to boost sales if they need to.

True. I guess it depends on how fidgety it may be feeling about creating a solid online ecosystem early in the year.

It's worth noting though that hardware goals won't be the only thing the company is trying to hit before the end of the FY. Getting more online sign-ups will be a massive internal target, so it could be a big boost if it's behind projections on that front, coming into the last stretch of this FY.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
True. I guess it depends on how fidgety it may be feeling about creating a solid online ecosystem early in the year.

It's worth noting though that hardware goals won't be the only thing the company is trying to hit before the end of the FY. Getting more online sign-ups will be a massive internal target, so it could be a big boost if it's behind projections on that front, coming into the last stretch of this FY.

Yep, this is a really good point. Online subscriptions will definitely be a very important metric, so boosting the content offering just before the end of their fiscal year makes a lot of sense.

Likewise, I think a significant content boost around the 1 year anniversary of the online service is on the cards too, to ensure people retain their subscription for another year. Whether that's when we see a third system added to the service (Gameboy or N64) I think it may be too soon, but it could also suggest a good time to add new content to their biggest Online games, such as some new DLC in Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, or indeed the launch of a new game that has a big multiplayer emphasis, such as Animal Crossing.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
Oh I'm gonna make a list too

Jan - NSMBU
Feb - nothing (SNES online maybe)
Mar - Yoshi
April - Labo 4, Wii U port (W101)
May - FE Three House, Town
Jun - Animal Crossing
July - LM 3
Aug - Dameon x Machina, MUA 3
Sept - Bayonetta 3
Oct - Retro game + Revision of switch
Nov - Pokemon
Dec - Prime HD (either trilogy or MP1 remake) and 2D zelda

Edit: Forgot UA exists, so revised it

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah that's a great point. They haven't given out any goals for that publicly but you're absolutely right that they will have an internal goal for subscriptions. SNES games will help massively with that.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you guys remember these things about Retro?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/re...-building-and-non-linear-storytelling”.27883/

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...inematic_designer_parts_company_with_the_firm

Jon Verrall - writer and cinematic designer at Retro Studios - has revealed on Twitter that he's leaving the company after almost two years.
Verrall - who refers to himself as an "award-winning writer, cinematics director, voice director, choreographer, and performer for video games and Internet television" on this LinkedIn profile - previously wrote, produced and appeared in the web series LARPs.

Retro's #2 or #3 writer updated their resume.

"Working with a highly skilled team to bridge the gaps between game design needs and telling a compelling story in a meaningful world. Finding the best ways to construct the narrative we want the player to experience with the tools and restrictions available through text, dialogue, and non-traditional storytelling.

* Key team member for collaborative worldbuilding, story construction, and IP development.
* Point of contact for supplemental prose writing.
* Special focus on designer collaboration for player experience storytelling."

"Narrative specializations in worldbuilding, character development, design integration, non-linear storytelling, prose fiction"

I still find it hard to believe that these people worked on a Star Fox Racing game when they talk about narrative, non-linear storytelling and world building. And then this Jon Verall person.

I refuse to believe Star Fox GP is the only thing they have going. That other rumored IP that was said to possibly be canned I think is still in development. They probably ran into troubles though.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys remember these things about Retro?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/re...-building-and-non-linear-storytelling”.27883/

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...inematic_designer_parts_company_with_the_firm

I still find it hard to believe that these people worked on a Star Fox Racing game when they talk about narrative, non-linear storytelling and world building. And then this Jon Verall person.

I refuse to believe Star Fox GP is the only thing they have going. That other rumored IP that was said to possibly be canned I think is still in development. They probably ran into troubles though.

If it's the Star Fox racing game that's been rumored, which has story elements, boss battles, a hub world, side missions, etc. then yeah it could make a lot of sense.

Mecaknight

Banned
Oct 2, 2018

I don't believe in it either considering they hired the original Deus Ex composer for an unknown project. I don't think they would hire this guy for a racing game.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The way this reads is like a lot of money being poured into this game and it'd be high quality with a sizeable story and cutscenes.

This is the exact same type of speculation that was going on before Tropical Freeze was revealed. It can only really lead to disappointment.

For now I think it's best to expect the rumored Star Fox racing game, while keeping an open mind about it compared to traditional racing games. Since it seems far more "adventure-game" than a standard racer, based on rumors.

Oct 26, 2017
Mia Goodwin was the lead story person at Retro and she left along with the lead game designer, Stephen Dupree, back in September 2017 to go work on a VR game for Playful Corp.

Guessing that a more story-driven game was put on ice in September 2017 and then they had Jon Verrall just work on some story stuff for StarFox before he left in May.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK

Given their limited output over the past 5 years, I can't believe they'd have two major titles in the works, and both delayed into oblivion. I guess it's possible/likely they have the rumoured Metroid Prime Trilogy in development, alongside whatever their main project is right now. Whatever that main project is though, be it Star Fox GP or whatever, it seems to me that it's not the title they were working on 4 or 5 years ago. So yea, something got canned presumably.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'll take another jab at making a schedule.
  • January: New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (already out)
  • February: N/A
  • March: Yoshi's Crafted World (confirmed)
  • April: Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
  • May: Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  • June: Animal Crossing
  • July: [Insert Wii U Port Here]
  • August: Dameon X Machina
  • September: Luigi's Mansion 3
  • October: 2D Zelda
  • November: Pokémon Gen 8
  • December: Metroid Prime Trilogy HD
I still don't expect Retro's game, Bayonetta 3, or Metroid Prime 4 to be out this year.

Last edited:

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
The way this reads is like a lot of money being poured into this game and it'd be high quality with a sizeable story and cutscenes.
You reading too much into this.

You could say almost the same description for Star Fox Adventure and Star Fox Assault. And those didn't have tons of money in them.

Tho I did like both. Assault more then Adventure tho.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I'll take another jab at making a schedule.
  • January: New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (already out)
  • February: N/A
  • March: Yoshi's Crafted World (confirmed)
  • April: Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
  • May: Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  • June: Animal Crossing
  • July: [Insert Wii U Port Here]
  • August: Daemon X Machina
  • September: Luigi's Mansion 3
  • October: 2D Zelda
  • November: Pokémon Gen 8
  • December: Metroid Prime Trilogy HD
I still don't expect Retro's game, Bayonetta 3, or Metroid Prime 4 to be out this year.
Why do you count Deamon X Machina when it isn't made by Nintendo?

With that logic. Should Travis striker Back and Town be on your list?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alexander Brandon was there by May 2017. Another sound designer who worked on Prey joined Retro in June 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.