• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
No violence to any animals. There's even a cute dog in the game! :)

As for the characters, I was worried about them being likable as well, but I really enjoyed most of them by the end. There are one or two characters that will grate on you, but they are written that way, so it doesn't feel as bad.
Thanks for the info, I'm definitely up for a cute dog anytime. I'll have to check out some gameplay vids to get a feel for it.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Hades is the first time in a very long time where I yelled, out loud "fuck yeah!" when playing a game. That's basically my way of saying "Yeah, this game is going to enter my top [x] list at some point in time."

Last edited:

F-Pina

Nerd Monkeys
Verified
Nov 3, 2017
Lisbon
My strange but lovely old game from 2013 got a port for Switch.
I still worked on the port before I left my company to my good old friend back in early 2019. We had some different ideas on what we wanted to do for the future so it was just easier to split and each do our own thing. Still the port was already underway since 2018.

He had some trouble getting this through Nintendo's QA as the main character smokes and drinks and he almost got an 18 rating in some countries due to that (he removed one silly thing from the game to get it to 16). Still, he was able to keep the original art intact for promotional purposes and in-game.

A bit of a warning, it's a very 80's Portuguese game, with lot's of jokes and quotes that might make no sense. Some people seemed to love the quirkiness while others hated it. So make sure to check some reviews before you buy.

Really hope some more people enjoy this as it was made with a lot of love back then while the company was still super small.

detective-case-and-clown-bot-in-murder-in-the-hotel-lisbon-switch-hero.jpg

https://www.nintendo.com/games/deta...own-bot-in-murder-in-the-hotel-lisbon-switch/

September 30th / 9.99€

P.S. My avatar still says Nerd Monkeys and should be updated

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
HADES IS SO GOOD YOU GUYS
(I've bought it on EGS a while ago but never got around to booting it)

it performs absolutely flawlessly too, dashing into fools' face with 60fps

Hades is the first time in a very long time where yelled, out loud "fuck yeah!" when playing a game. That's basically my way of saying "Yeah, this game is going to enter my top [x] list at some point in time."

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017

Lots of fun! Playing it alongside Paradise Killer is a double whammy of good shit. Stuff like this is why Switch is my favorite console ever. And I still have Ori and MO:Astray in my backlog, gimme that Pro model.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
I know everybody is enamoured with Hades right now, but have any of you played Dex? Surprisingly great cyberpunk 2D RPG. I'm surprised this never made any noise.

Great review (as usual) by our fellow member Karak.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I know everybody is enamoured with Hades right now, but have any of you played Dex? Surprisingly great cyberpunk 2D RPG. I'm surprised this never made any noise.

Great review (as usual) by our fellow member Karak.

I finished it on PC, didnt care for it much :(

let's just say I double dip on Switch a lot (A LOT) and Dex isnt even in my wishlist :/

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017

It doesn't perform flawlessly, it's 60fps 90% of the time but does drop frames when there's a lot of enemies on screen. Still a pretty good port though.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I played it back on PS4 around the time it released and loved it. Melee combat is a little rough, at least until you get a few upgrades, but it definitely scratches that cyberpunk itch. The genre really doesn't get enough attention.

Plum

May 31, 2018
So how much does Hades rely on the whole 'Roguelike' thing? I've played so many "OMG AMAZING!!!" games in the past that I've since dropped quite a bit because the roguelike nature is too difficult and too repetitive for what I want from games (Binding of Isaac, Spelunky, Dead Cells, etc). However Supermassive's games are always great and I'd be OK with giving this a chance if I knew that I could maybe finish it one day.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
So how much does Hades rely on the whole 'Roguelike' thing? I've played so many "OMG AMAZING!!!" games in the past that I've since dropped quite a bit because the roguelike nature is too difficult and too repetitive for what I want from games (Binding of Isaac, Spelunky, Dead Cells, etc). However Supermassive's games are always great and I'd be OK with giving this a chance if I knew that I could maybe finish it one day.

Unlike most rogue like games, this at least has an easy mode. You'll still have to replay the same levels over and over which may be a problem for your repetition issue, but the game is so fun to play you may not mind, and you do feel yourself improving with each run..

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I'm not too hot on roguelikes overall (I do dabble here and there) but what I played of Hades is exactly the way it needs to be done. You always come back with something new, the characters in the hub have something new to say or you find some new thing to upgrade. It's Wonderful, and you feel powerful from minute one, even though you have a lot of growing to do.

This is Supergiant Games btw, not Supermassive (makers of Until Dawn and those Dark Pictures Anthology games).

It doesn't perform flawlessly, it's 60fps 90% of the time but does drop frames when there's a lot of enemies on screen. Still a pretty good port though.
that's flawless in my book. so inconsequential, I haven't even noticed anything.

Last edited:

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I'm not too hot on roguelikes overall (I do dabble here and there) but what I played of Hades is exactly the way it needs to be done. You always come back with something new, the characters in the hub have something new to say or you find some new thing to upgrade. It's Wonderful, and you feel powerful from minute one, even though you have a lot of growing to do.

This is Supergiant Games btw, not Supermassive (makers of Until Dawn and those Dark Pictures Anthology games).

that's flawless in my book. so inconsequential, I haven't even noticed anything.

Yeah, Hades is a RogueLite, so there's progression with each death and all is not lost. So even if you just brute force it you'll get "better" over time.

twisted89

Oct 27, 2017
How does it perform on Switch ?
The load times are reallllyyy long which can get annoying if you keep dying in one place. I found a few of the puzzles (especially in the kid story) quite difficult to work out when playing in portable as I just couldn't see them.

Besides that I'd say it's well worth a play though if you enjoy horror and puzzles.

Plainsong

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
Another outstanding horror puzzle game of a similar ilk to Little Nightmares is a game called INSIDE. You've all probably heard of it but for those who haven't it's a must play.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I knew there was a reason I liked you.
Thanks. You should check out my thread on this topic if you're trying to avoid games like that too:
www.resetera.com

Games with needless, excessive depictions of violence to animals. (Spoiler tag, add to the list)

If you came in this thread to make fun of the premise of this thread or its replies, or give a joke reply, please do not post. This thread is intended as a list of games that include gratuitous violence to animals, so those bothered by this can avoid these games. Even if the violence wasn't...

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Little Nightmares is currently $7.49.

To those who have played it on Switch, did the lengthy load times after each death negatively affect your experience in any significant way?

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
People playing Hades, what merits the T rating? Is there blood when you defeat enemies or is it something else (or both)? I feel like it's probably not my kinda game but when I see so much praise I feel like I should at least look into it a bit. Did not enjoy Bastion, not a roguelite person, and I tend not to enjoy games focused on combat.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
People playing Hades, what merits the T rating? Is there blood when you defeat enemies or is it something else (or both)? I feel like it's probably not my kinda game but when I see so much praise I feel like I should at least look into it a bit. Did not enjoy Bastion, not a roguelite person, and I tend not to enjoy games focused on combat.

Provocative drawings of Aphrodite? Rivers of blood (the combat isn't really that bloody)? Suggestive themes? I'm not really that far into the game but so far It's pretty tame, but it shouldn't be rated E either.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes I find that if you're in a position where you're not sure if you'll like a game, watch ten minutes of somebody on YouTube playing it via a Let's Play, that will soon let you know whether or not a game is for you. (but obviously most games are much more enjoyable to play than watch)

Oct 26, 2017
Anybody got room for an extra member on their Nintendo Switch Online family plan?
Mine recently expired and I'm not too keen on spending 20 bucks to renew it.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Ive been wanting to pick up Ys VIII since I saw the trailer for IX, but its still full price lol. Waiting for it to go back on sale is such a bummer.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

then this game is not for you.

Speaking of roguelikes, do we know iof Scourge Bringer is coming out Oct 21st to coincide with coming out of early access on Steam?

docus

Feb 14, 2018
Building on the question above, if I enjoyed rogue likes such as Dead Cells, Enter the Gungeon, Children of Morta, and Moonlighter, but I couldn't get into Bastion or Transistor - is it worth trying Hades? (Sorry for another Hades question :)

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Brah games like Hades is why Switch is my main console. It's great playing games on handhelds especially for quick burst.

But yea Hades is a fantastic game that everyone should try giving a shot. Heck watch some reviews to get an idea of it plus it's on sale.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Is Little Nightmares worth picking up?

I grabbed it while it was on sale last week and really dig it. Very similar to the classic Another World/Flashback/Oddworld style of game, but with a bit of Z-axis 3D. Great horror angle with some creepy visuals and tense moments alongside plenty of quiet ones where you just fidge around trying to suss out how to get from A to B.

Though Mario and Hades pulled me away from it, I look forward to diving back in.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I grabbed it while it was on sale last week and really dig it. Very similar to the classic Another World/Flashback/Oddworld style of game, but with a bit of Z-axis 3D. Great horror angle with some creepy visuals and tense moments alongside plenty of quiet ones where you just fidge around trying to suss out how to get from A to B.

Though Mario and Hades pulled me away from it, I look forward to diving back in.
Are you playing Little Nightmares on Switch? If so, are the load times affecting your enjoyment of the game?

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Are you playing Little Nightmares on Switch? If so, are the load times affecting your enjoyment of the game?

Indeed on Switch. Loadtimes are annoying after death, but not a dealbreaker yet for me(only about 1.5 hrs played so far). At least I have yet to run into a situation where I need many attempts to complete something. Usually I mess up something and get it on the next go. Might be annoying later when a real tricky section has me pulling my hair out.

Also am really surpised how incredible the game looks on Switch too(docked at least). The lighting engine is stunning. Outside of loading I don't see much to complain about.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Indeed on Switch. Loadtimes are annoying after death, but not a dealbreaker yet for me(only about 1.5 hrs played so far). At least I have yet to run into a situation where I need many attempts to complete something. Usually I mess up something and get it on the next go. Might be annoying later when a real tricky section has me pulling my hair out.

Also am really surpised how incredible the game looks on Switch too(docked at least). The lighting engine is stunning. Outside of loading I don't see much to complain about.
Awesome, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.