• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Is Axiom Verge good? I'm still pissed off from Blasphemous
I love the atmosphere of the game but it unfortunately has its problems design wise. It also unfortunately feels dated already with all of the Metroidvanias that released after it improving the formula. I enjoy the weird lore too. I hesitate to reccomend it though. Definitely looking at the sequel with hopeful optimism.

Deleted member 20852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

It looks and sounds good and plays well. It's quite open-ended I think, and supports that by having a lot of optional powerups (mainly weapons) spread around the world so that you'll find something wherever you go, even if it turns out it's not the correct way in terms of getting further in the story. The combat sadly is not great and I don't think there's a single boss I didn't somehow end up cheesing through instead of fighting properly. It's a solid game, but the Metroidvania formula has been used a lot during the recent years. Axiom Verge was early in that wave and while it was impressive at the time of the release, it doesn't completely hold up.

Frost

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands
One of my favorite games on witch. Would love a sequel/side project using the same mechanics/design philosophy. Maybe leave out the swinging mechanic you get towards the end since it didn't always work how you wanted it. Other than that though, no gripes at all.

Yeah that mechanic was not the brightest in the game. I hope for a sequel someday

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
www.eurogamer.net

Inertial Drift review - a unique and exhilarating arcade racer

What's the best drift in the world of racing games? Maybe it's the blue-blooded pair of Out Run, with its stick-induced…

" The Switch version is a competent port, even if its framerate - a fairly steady 30fps - means it's not the ultimate way to play."

-_-
aww man ...
stuff like this is basically the main reason I would want a more powerful model, so we can complain they're not supporting the extra power sku :D

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
MO:Astray looks really good and comes a day before my birthday, anyone here played it?
I have on PC. It's a good game, beautiful. The controls aren't typical for a puzzle platform game and may take some getting used to. It has a serious tone and darker story than what you'd expect looking at it. It's worth playing in my opinion.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Can anybody here help me with this weird issue:

I cannot sign in to my Nintendo Account on their website. Just signed in on my Switch, no problem. But online, things are broken. Even asked for an email to reset my password and it says that email doesn't have a Nintendo Account. It assuredly does since I checked what my Switch was logged in with.

There's a weird issue with the Google Authenticator where it won't take my codes. I even actually have the sheet of back up codes and tried those and Nintendo says they still aren't valid.

What's going on?

EDIT: One of my backup codes randomly worked even though the others did not. Who knows

Last edited:

BourbonJungle

Nov 1, 2017
Can anybody here help me with this weird issue:

I cannot sign in to my Nintendo Account on their website. Just signed in on my Switch, no problem. But online, things are broken. Even asked for an email to reset my password and it says that email doesn't have a Nintendo Account. It assuredly does since I checked what my Switch was logged in with.

There's a weird issue with the Google Authenticator where it won't take my codes. I even actually have the sheet of back up codes and tried those and Nintendo says they still aren't valid.

What's going on?

There may be an option to sign in with MyNintendo ID or something similar that'll work for ya.

Think there's a couple different log in options now that aren't too clear.

Frost

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands
I have on PC. It's a good game, beautiful. The controls aren't typical for a puzzle platform game and may take some getting used to. It has a serious tone and darker story than what you'd expect looking at it. It's worth playing in my opinion.

Good to know thanks. So is on Steam, going to check it out there, should have reviews and more info

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
any word on the Star Renegades port?

wait, its not out on the Switch? I guess I dreamed it was a day and date release with the PC version.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my God, I freaking love Hyrule Warriors 0_0

November game, available for pre-order.

Playable Urbosa? I am IN.

Se0jMSJ.jpg

I hope they also bring over more of those QoL improvements that the more recent musou games have seen.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
So... how likely is it that they fixed the camera controls in the Mario Sunshine port?

Lie to me if you must.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I realized that while I loved Etrian Odyssey IV and Persona Q, they're the only EO games I own/have played. Are any of the other ones on 3DS as good as these? Do they every go on sale?

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I realized that while I loved Etrian Odyssey IV and Persona Q, they're the only EO games I own/have played. Are any of the other ones on 3DS as good as these? Do they every go on sale?
I imagine we will get a sale by Black Friday with all of the atlas games still for sale (etrian mystery dungeon was seemingly delisted randomly this summer). I would say the other EO games are more traditional (single tower to go through), but the original remakes have an optional story mode if you don't like making your own parties. IV is probably the easiest to get into, so take that when consider what you might want. The other SMT games are also worth considering if you like doings on crawlers. Most should be $10-15 when on sale.

andysexton

Oct 25, 2017
Did anybody else pick up Avicii Invector today? For some reason, I can't get the calibration down in handheld mode. Tried it at 0, since I assumed that would be the baseline, but it felt super off - using the calibration tool I get wildly different settings each time I run it. Anyone have luck finding a good handheld calibration setting?

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Thoughts on Timespinner guys?

I played it on PC. It is a fantastic Metroidvania, with a big focus on story. It does not try anything totally new gameplaywise, but gets what it does right. It is EXTREMELY Symphony of the Night visually, and copies the menus almost one for one, which is off-putting, but I still enjoyed it overall. The time travel mechanic the game's name is based on is horribly underused though. I guess they did not have a budget to go wild (it's a Kickstarter game).

But no idea how it runs on Switch. It should be okay though.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Timespinner doesn't break the mold in any way but is an extremely well made and fun game. As mentioned before, the time travel gimmick doesn't go anywhere interesting but it does do some neat things with it.

I'd definitely recommend it and honestly, I enjoyed it much more than Bloodstained.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Thoughts on Timespinner guys?
It's alright, very easy and definitely on the short side. If you want a game that doesn't really do anything extremely well but is fine for getting a couple of days into and then forgetting about, there are far worse choices. There some mechanics that don't totally work (the familiars don't do much, the sidequest system can be frustrating and there's a couple areas that really needed a fast travel point) but ultimately it's competently made and reminded me of my favorite Castlevanias several times (particularly SotN and Dawn of Sorrow).

Performance is pretty much perfect I wouldn't worry about that.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
There's some strange things on the eShop these days. I was looking in the 'coming up' section to find RCT and I saw a game called 'perky little things'. An 'xrated' cartoon hidden object game. It did not look very Nintendo

Dec 2, 2019
So Spinch seems really good (NL and NWR both gave it 8/10) but has "early release" performance issues.

I don't know what to do with it, there's no hurry to buy it now, really.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
So Spinch seems really good (NL and NWR both gave it 8/10) but has "early release" performance issues.

I don't know what to do with it, there's no hurry to buy it now, really.

I've read a couple of reviews saying it has a very unfair, high difficulty which kinda put me off, otherwise I would have bought it myself a few days ago.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Persona Q2 is similar to Persona Q but with P5 characters added. If you liked PQ and like P5 and want more, get it.
EO5 is a more traditional EO than EO4 (no dual-classing, no world map), but it has some of the more interesting character classes in the series and the dungeons are well designed.
EO Untold 1 is a remake of the first game and I'd say is the weakest of the 3DS EO games.
EO Untold 2 is really good. Has the story mode option that EOU1 had, but with a more interesting story party (both characters & their classes). The systems are more enjoyable than EOU1.
EO Nexus is like a greatest hits. It uses the dual-class system from EO4 and has a ton of classes (20) and is by far the longest game in the series. However, the vast majority of content is remixed versions of stuff that were in other games. Basically, it's for series superfans.

Personally, I'd say that you can skip EOU1, but every other EO game has something to recommend it. And honestly, even EOU1 is still a good game, it's just that I think the others are all better.

And yes, Atlus usually runs a few EO sales a year.

Rasec

Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
I've read a couple of reviews saying it has a very unfair, high difficulty which kinda put me off, otherwise I would have bought it myself a few days ago.
well i got the game on launch and i must say this is true.

the game also has the problem that it has 60fps and a lot of times out of nowhere it drops to 45 and then goes up and that makes the character teleport a bit which in a platform game it's makes me get some hits by accident.

The game looks super simple at first but when you reach the last 2 worlds (there's 6) the checkpoins are too far from each other and while you have a 3 hits system before get sent back to checkpoint don't know why a lot of enemies and hazards kill you on one hit.

Now i'm no pro gamer but i play a lot of platformers and love Kaizo levels on mario maker 2 and 100% games like Splasher(awesome platformer), the end if nigh, meat boy and celeste and i wasn't able to surpass the last level of the game and decided to quit because i was already 120 minutes on the same level (the levels have a timer). Average level is 2-3min.

Maybe i suck but that last section on the level i can't even describe it. And while it is super hard i was able to do it like 80% but if you get hit is back to a super far checkpoint and decided to delete the game before i got frustated because knowing me i would probably be there another 2-3h.

I hope a patch fixes the fps drops and add more checkpoints to the levels and it's a good platformer to get after that is done.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Tonight I finished playing Inmost.

I've always been intrigued by it as aesthetically it looks quite wonderful, I love the gothic art style is has going on. The game has some superb pixel animations in there for even the tiniest of things. Has a typically moody, sombre soundtrack.

As for the game itself, it's played out via three different characters who all have their own unique play styles. Some are definitely better than others.

The older male had my personal favourite parts as you go around exploring a vast castle and mines, solving very minor puzzles along the way alongside some platforming. The way he jumps and moves around the place was quite adorable, and discovering new locations was a joy. Unfortunately there's also some moments of annoying trial and error whilst you work out how to avoid instant-death traps.

Another character is combat based and unfortunately those chapters are very shallow and repetitive. Another character has you moving painfully slowly around a large house looking for various things.

In all honesty the story of the game was completely wasted on me, I didn't really understand it truth be told, and so the ending was quite painful as it's a 20 minute long cut scene about a story I simply didn't care about.

I'd give the game 5/10

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody got RPG Maker MV? I wanna know how it plays without a stylus and if it's hard to create anything without it.

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017

Got this as part of the insanely good itch.io bundle a few months ago. It's okay.

quirky but not really all that fun once you get passed the novelty of it.

check out toma's review from the itch thread for more detail.

https://glander.itch.io/art-sqool
sfwLFv.gif

Feeling rather conflicted about this as I love the concept because of my own connection to art but dislike the execution. Its a very unique concept that does deserve a mention. Its an art school "simulator", that gives you semi-random art assignments that might or might not make any sense. It pokes fun at the subjectivity of art by semi randomly judging your works, before you move on to find more tools to draw with. I really like the idea, but the execution is just lacking. An actual AI analyzing works and suggesting feedback would be a really cool touch, but it feels like it turns into a gimmicky joke here with a bit of an annoying presentation and movement controls. Worth checking out if you want to use the game as creative inspiration with limited creative control. Would make for a fun challenge among friends or an art group though. 2/5

44 / 1316 games done, list of all games and impressions so far:
https://itch.io/c/915453/quick-impressions-bundle-for-racial-justice

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
Trailer better than the game, then.

Inmost seems pretty shite from what I've heard. A real style over substance kinda deal.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I only played like 15 minutes of MO Astray, but it is already amazing. Love how it plays

Oct 25, 2017
The Survivalists is up for preload on the Japanese and Eu eShop and it seems to come out on October 8th. I went ahead and played through the demo. There was a game on the Nintendo DS and was originally on Gameboy Color under a different name, but this totally feels like Lost in Blue on Nintendo DS. The name of the series/game on Gameboy Color was Survival Kids. So it makes total sense that a game called The Survivalists would remind me of those games. I made a video below and played for a good 20 minutes during the video. After I finished the video I went on to play for another hour and plan on playing some more when I wake up. You can save the game..close the demo and come back in to play some more. No idea if the save carries over, but enjoying it so far.

Deleted member 20471

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Got this as part of the insanely good itch.io bundle a few months ago. It's okay.

quirky but not really all that fun once you get passed the novelty of it.

check out toma's review from the itch thread for more detail.
The art and the music is so good that I want to try it anyway if the price is low enough, even if it's funny only for a couple hours it could be worth it.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
I only played it for the first time recently, and I thought it was super good, better than almost all the more recent metroidvanias. The reason is that the power-ups are actually satisfying and have a lot of traversal options and depth. For me, the level design is also better than most, because I always felt somewhat challenged on where to go next, but I never actually got stuck.

It's the only game along with Celeste that I've started a new play-through as soon as I finished it. And not only that, but I played it another 2-3 times the same month thanks to the speed-run mode. Finished the game in 9 hours the first time, 5 hours the second, and finally ended with around 2 hours. Lots of fun!

So yeah, I personally love it, and I think you might just have to try it yourself to form your own opinion.

Dec 2, 2019
Anybody got RPG Maker MV? I wanna know how it plays without a stylus and if it's hard to create anything without it.
While I was browsing the eShop as usual I saw there's a free version where you can play the games created by others but you can't create your own.

Sorry if this will end being inaccurate, just check by yourself since you can't lose anything. Game is 50€ and tbh it seems strange to me that you can play the games at no cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.