• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Celeste is fine in handheld mode. I'm not afraid to say that I actually got used to the joycon buttons as d-pads, and I even like them now.
If the drift wasn't a thing, the joycons would be probably my favorite controller overall.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How often does Capcom do eShop sales? Last one was in August and I neglected to grab Phoenix Wright.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
About DQIII, I was actually taken aback that the mobile/Switch version doesn't have the opening cutscene the SFC version had.
As Opa-Pa said, it's an unfortunate consequence of being based on an ancient mobile port. Why that original port didn't have any of the extra content added in the SFC or GBC remakes of III is beyond me. I get that they probably needed to cut the cutscene and battle animations due to the hardware, but I don't buy that they needed to cut the extra dungeon and pachisi for the same reason.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Get Slay the Spire y'all! A few personal tips that helped me for those who are interested:

- Get rid of cards often. You don't really want the cards you start with long, and you definitely don't want a large deck.

- Don't add cards to your deck just because you can after every victory, again same principle as the first, it's better to have 15 great cards in a deck that complement each other than like 30 that are a mixture of cards that don't work well together.

- Plan your fights in advance- battles near the beginning of each level are easy and so might not be rewarding and battles nearer the boss are more difficult but more rewarding but might be an unwanted nuisance just before the boss.

- Try to buy relics from shops as much as possible- some cards can be good but potions should be avoided- generally too expensive and common to be worth spending money on.

- Try to not rely on healing at camps. You will need to every now and then but every time you can avoid doing so is great as the benefits of the other uses are better in the long term.

- Have fun! Even when you lose you should have learned/encountered at least one thing new that could be helpful next time.
Thank you for the tips! I thought there is deck limit, so it is very cool to hear that it is something the player should manage themselves.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you for the tips! I thought there is deck limit, so it is very cool to hear that it is something the player should manage themselves.

theres no deck limit but you want the good cards to come, which is less likely if you have a large deck, that is a standard rule for any card game. The starting attack and shiled basic cards should go ASAP

Raijinto is the new class in the Switch version yet?

Last edited:

Kryornis

Mar 1, 2019
France, Occitania
I'm leaning towards FFX/X-2 for this sale. Already own them on PC but haven't played much, jrpg are perfect for the Switch and I tend to finish them on this console.
Even on sale they are a bit pricey though (30€).

Any thoughts on this particular port ?

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I'm leaning towards FFX/X-2 for this sale. Already own them on PC but haven't played much, jrpg are perfect for the Switch and I tend to finish them on this console.

I'm playing it right now. I've never played the original and I think this looks and sounds great docked. Haven't tried undocked yet. You should know that QoL features seen in other FF games, such as fast-forward, aren't available in FF X. Thankfully, loading times are good and the battles move pretty fast.

Here's a great review from SwitchWatch:

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

I like this series of reviews for the remastered/released FF games. Gives a good overview of the differences and changes between versions.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Picked up collection of Mana and man I should've known after waiting 24 years to play trials of Mana I'd be disappointed. The menus lag and don't know if it's emulation or if it was like that on the super famicom. Don't get me wrong it's gorgeous but it's not grabbing me the same way secret of Mana did all those years ago, hopefully it'll grow on me.

Edit: turns out the menus had the same lag on the console in case anyone is wondering

the fact that they didn't bother to fix or at least improve the lag affecting menus really disappointed me

Kryornis

Mar 1, 2019
France, Occitania
I'm playing it right now. I've never played the original and I think this looks and sounds great docked. Haven't tried undocked yet. You should know that QoL features seen in other FF games, such as fast-forward, aren't available in FF X. Thankfully, loading times are good and the battles move pretty fast.

Here's a great review from SwitchWatch:

I like this series of reviews for the remastered/released FF games. Gives a good overview of the differences and changes between versions.

Thank you for the videos. It seems like a solid port. I think I'll take it... and add it to my 100+ games backlog for now xD

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Does anyone know fast the turnaround is for
Joycon drift repair with Nintendo?
Mine was surprisingly fast, and it came from the only authorized repair in my country. Of course, the fact that I just happened to live a 5-10 minute drive away from it helped (I walked there).

But mileage may vary, Europe still doesn't do it.

guru-guru

Oct 25, 2017
Canada here, it was sent one province over and took 1(one) month from shipping to receiving.
Mine took about 6 weeks, even though I live a couple hours from the repair centre in Vancouver. Just got it back last week. When I called support to ask, they mentioned that Joy-Con repairs are taking longer than usual—up to 7 weeks—since Nintendo is now fixing them for free, and they've had a huge influx in repair orders.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Man, the EU sale is really good. I'm obviously getting Bastion and Transistor at that price. Do you guys recommend any other game in the sale that has a good discount?
Ironcast if you like puzzle games with a lot of strategy.

It's like a mix of puzzle quest (or galactrix even, since you can link diagonally) with roguelike progression a la into the breach and a ton of combat strategy elements.

I got a ton of other games in this sale, including slay the spire which shares some similarities with it, but still all I'm playing is Ironcast.

I'm really liking the moment to moment gameplay but also the in between run progression and the whole economy in the game and how it influences your performance in battle.

It's 50% discounted which is a rare occurrence so if you really like puzzle games I'd buy it now even if you only might want to play it later on.

Double

Nov 1, 2017
I think Hollow Knight and Crypt of the Necrodancer make most sense as the discounts are biggest. But then there's Celeste, Yoku's island, Cuphead, Dead Cells, Owlboy, Golf Story...
Welcome to the Switch family!
From my experience: Hollow Knight and Crypt of the Necrodancer are on sale fairly often but fantastic value at that price and probably won't go lower any more. Go get them, yeah.
Celeste took an eternity to finally get a discount in EU, but now it's the third time already I think, with a new record-low price however. If you are interested, I think I'd recommend to snatch it at that price.
Yoku's Island Express goes on sale at this price fairly frequently, so you can wait for it to go on sale again when you are more in need of something to play, or when they finally discount it even more.
Same for Golf Story. I think it doesn't go on sale quite as often as Yoku's, but still from time to time and always with the 33% off discount only. I'm still waiting on a deeper discount there personally. So much stuff to play on Switch anyway.
Not sure about Owlboy, but Cuphead and Dead Cells are quality games with not that steep of a discount, but they probably won't drop further any time (too) soon, so... bite if you want ;)

I'd personally recommend to get Bastion and Transistor in the current sale, if they interest you, as they have both received very deep discounts (-80%).

Bate

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Wargroove on my wishlist looks really tempting. I need something different after a lot of metroidvanias recently. I saw that it is supposed to be a long game. Is there enough variation or are there progression systems to keep it interesting?

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
So, I got a Switch a couple of weeks ago. I got no games. My wife has Doraemon: Story of Seasons pre-ordered and she will play Pokemon and Animal Crossing. I'm interested in Xenoblade 2, Fire Emblem and FExSMT. Any other exclusives that we would like that I've missed? We don't really play platformers, don't care for Mario or Zelda and play all multi-platforms on PS4.

RPGs, strategy and things Harvest Moon/Story of Season etc is what we mostly play.

Sleuth

alt account
Banned
Jul 18, 2019
Anybody play Police Stories? Looks really cool. Is Donut COunty, THe Garden Between or Abzu cool?

And when is this sale until?

Bate

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Donut County is short, quirky and sweet. Gardens Between has a novel mechanic, a strong athmosphere that is sweet, nostalgic and a tad melancholic. It looks and sounds gorgeous. Abzu looks and sounds glorious as well. The soundtrack is from the Journey composer. Abzu is a relaxing experience. In some moments it is really exhilarating when the music swells and you transition to other areas with the current. If you want puzzles, go for the Gardens. If you want an experience, go for Abzu.

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
Collection of Mana seems a good price. I might play it after Astral Chain.
My only thoughts is that because I have such a huge backlog, is it worth playing Secret over Trials in any respect? If not, is it even worth getting if the remake is coming out next year??

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Collection of Mana seems a good price. I might play it after Astral Chain.
My only thoughts is that because I have such a huge backlog, is it worth playing Secret over Trials in any respect? If not, is it even worth getting if the remake is coming out next year??
essential info missing from your question: have you played any of them before?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So, I got a Switch a couple of weeks ago. I got no games. My wife has Doraemon: Story of Seasons pre-ordered and she will play Pokemon and Animal Crossing. I'm interested in Xenoblade 2, Fire Emblem and FExSMT. Any other exclusives that we would like that I've missed? We don't really play platformers, don't care for Mario or Zelda and play all multi-platforms on PS4.

RPGs, strategy and things Harvest Moon/Story of Season etc is what we mostly play.

Fire Emblem Three Houses and TMS are both fantastic. Having played XC and XCX I'm sure XC2 is as well but I have only played 10 hours of it so I don't know if it will be my or yours cup of tea. But those are good starting points.

Based on your criteria I would recommend Golf Story, Mario + Rabbids and Untitled Goose Game. Then there's also the definitive edition of Xenoblade Chronicles next year which will be great I'm sure along with obviously Animal Crossing.

The World Ends With you is also great but I dunno if this version of it is the best since I haven't played it but the DS version was definitely worth playing.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the past month I bought Grandia, FF8, Ni No Kuni, and DQXI. Send. Help.
Add in Link's Awakening, DXM and I downloaded Shadows of Adam on sale and you have my list.

I should slow down, but Witcher 3, A Hat in Time, Super Monkey Ball, Luigi's Mansion 3, Alliance Alive and Destiny Connect are next month.

Send help.

j_z

Feb 14, 2019

Golf Story,it is on sale right now

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
On the topic of Slay the Spire, one of my favorite things about it is that you're building your deck on the fly, instead of having a deck building screen with hundreds of cards to choose from. So many decisions make my brain melt. So despite the hard difficulty of the game, I find micromanaging your deck by choosing between 3 cards after every battle make Slay The Spire much more approachable than the standard macro-managed deck building card battling fare. Plus, I end up incorporating way more cards with this setup than the usual "stick with my deck that works."

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Has anybody here played Ni No Kuni? I'm wondering how it performs before I drop money on it. I don't want to end up with another bloodstained.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Will this get you the pre-order bonuses too?

Doesn't say anywhere their listing comes with the 3-month NSO code that the eShop provides separately.
Simply going by this being the "Legendary Edition", I'm gonna say yes it does. Nintendo site description:

Overwatch®: Legendary Edition includes:

• Redeemable code for Nintendo Switch Online Individual Membership 3-month subscription (Terms apply.)
  • The full game
  • 5 Legendary Hero Skins
  • 5 Epic Hero Skins
  • 5 Origin Hero Skins
  • And more!

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I bought physical Darksiders 2 because I know like no one cares about that series anymore especially on the day of DQXI coming out but I gotta say it holds up extremely well and plays great. I was kind of hoping for the same graphics vs framerate option of DS1 on Switch but if they're in this version I've yet to see them.

It holds up well. Switch getting a lot of love this weekend.

Is it 30fps? What's the resolution?

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Welcome to the Switch family!
From my experience: Hollow Knight and Crypt of the Necrodancer are on sale fairly often but fantastic value at that price and probably won't go lower any more. Go get them, yeah.
Celeste took an eternity to finally get a discount in EU, but now it's the third time already I think, with a new record-low price however. If you are interested, I think I'd recommend to snatch it at that price.
Yoku's Island Express goes on sale at this price fairly frequently, so you can wait for it to go on sale again when you are more in need of something to play, or when they finally discount it even more.
Same for Golf Story. I think it doesn't go on sale quite as often as Yoku's, but still from time to time and always with the 33% off discount only. I'm still waiting on a deeper discount there personally. So much stuff to play on Switch anyway.
Not sure about Owlboy, but Cuphead and Dead Cells are quality games with not that steep of a discount, but they probably won't drop further any time (too) soon, so... bite if you want ;)

I'd personally recommend to get Bastion and Transistor in the current sale, if they interest you, as they have both received very deep discounts (-80%).

Thanks! Went with Hollow Knight, Crypt of the Necrodancer and Celeste. Decided the others could wait until I played the Yoku's island demo and decided to get that too. Thankfully I've already played Bastion and Transistor so didn't have to spend anything on them too.