• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Have you played the original Prince of Persia or Out of this World? If you have, do you like them?

Stiff, clunky, platforming. Great atmosphere. Cool locations.

Neither! But atmosphere and cool are two of the reasons why it's always stood out to me as a game to try. There's a couple of awesome gifs that I've seen on the internet for years that I know come from this game. For the price I really should just go for it.

Was on the fence on the MK11 Switch version since it came out, but it is a great port!

Not the best version, of course, but really solid!

Played through all the campaign and a dozen online matches, all without any issue and with a solid framerate!

The Crypt thing is surelly but

If you like MK, you can buy it without any fear of its quality!

edit: double post, sorry. Mobile going weirdo

Appreciated thank you. Looks like it runs well enough etc and I do like MK. Think I'll bite.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Okay as long as it's not a walking simulator with no gameplay I can handle it. I need some engagement with gameplay.

It's on the list.

Speaking of, anyone here ever play Oxenfree?

Yes I mentioned it in the post you quoted above this XD

We played it on Game Pass earlier this year, I want to say it's not unfair to call it a walking simulator. The gameplay mainly consists of walking, following interesting, time-sensitive conversational branching paths, experiencing a unique and compelling plot with memorable characters. There's some button pressing here and there but not much in the way of what I would traditionally think of as gameplay. It sounds like Wandersong has more gameplay elements than Oxenfree.

All that being said we enjoyed Oxenfree very much. I think walking simulators are less interesting to me when they're about exploring an environment than when they have a rich, compelling story. So Abzu, Journey and Rime did not grab me at all, but Oxenfree I enjoyed a great deal and I'm looking forward to Night School Studio's next game Afterparty coming in just over a month. By a similar token, we absolutely loved Life is Strange and its Prequel when we played them 10ish months ago, though those games have a good deal more engaging gameplay thanks to the immersion and the character's powers.

Oh, and I think traditional adventure games like Broken Age (which we also loved) really provide a satisfying balance of the walking simulator/game play itch for me. I think Life is Strange had some adventure game type elements to it, too. I'd like to try Grim Fandango, too.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yes I mentioned it in the post you quoted above this XD

We played it on Game Pass earlier this year, I want to say it's not unfair to call it a walking simulator. The gameplay mainly consists of walking, following interesting, time-sensitive conversational branching paths, experiencing a unique and compelling plot with memorable characters. There's some button pressing here and there but not much in the way of what I would traditionally think of as gameplay. It sounds like Wandersong has more gameplay elements than Oxenfree.

All that being said we enjoyed Oxenfree very much. I think walking simulators are less interesting to me when they're about exploring an environment than when they have a rich, compelling story. So Abzu, Journey and Rime did not grab me at all, but Oxenfree I enjoyed a great deal and I'm looking forward to Night School Studio's next game Afterparty coming in just over a month. By a similar token, we absolutely loved Life is Strange and its Prequel when we played them 10ish months ago, though those games have a good deal more engaging gameplay thanks to the immersion and the character's powers.

Oh, and I think traditional adventure games like Broken Age (which we also loved) really provide a satisfying balance of the walking simulator/game play itch for me. I think Life is Strange had some adventure game type elements to it, too. I'd like to try Grim Fandango, too.

Sounds good. I've downloaded Wandersong so I'll start with that one and if I want more I'll get Oxenfree. Thanks for the impressions, Oxenfree sounds up my alley.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
I can't believe it! Ironcast is on sale! By this point it was convinced it would never get discounted but finally a50% discount no less. Funny they did this right after Puzzle Quest came out...

Anyway, after bailing out from the purchase of astral chain and zelda I thought this month I wouldn't be buying much but so far I already got puzzle quest, love, kudo, transistor and now Ironcast... dang!

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Sale Batch #2

Rogue Legacy - Loved it on PC way back in the day, feels about time for a replay, never seen it on sale in EU so yeah, "safe" buy
Cuphead - been wanting to get it for awhile and Teeth has gone on record that he wont put Cuphead in deep sales or bundles so I guess it's time.
Timespinner - Not the deepest discount but got it for "free" with gold coins.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I can't believe it! Ironcast is on sale! By this point it was convinced it would never get discounted but finally a50% discount no less. Funny they did this right after Puzzle Quest came out...

Anyway, after bailing out from the purchase of astral chain and zelda I thought this month I wouldn't be buying much but so far I already got puzzle quest, love, kudo, transistor and now Ironcast... dang!

oh shit, thanks for the heads up.

I've been in the same boat and it has been on my wishlist for a long ass time.

I might have to bite....and then play it later when I actually have time.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

But which is better?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
wow, Ironcast on sale for the second time in its lifecycle on Switch lol. thought it would never happen again...

those are the types im more willing to bite on as opposed to stuff that is on sale all the time. Case in point:

FFX/X2 and XII. First of all, it would be double dips as I havent touched them on PC, second 29.99 each is hefty, third Square has sales all the time (Ive seen at least 3 times this year), four I bought FF7 and havent played it yet, not to mention other rpgs like Ys8, Disgaea etc.

So yeah, gotta be smart with dem sales man!

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Dead Cells might tempt me. I don't think it will go deeper than 20% anytime soon (not with the sales it gets, sales as in the units it sells regularly, not "its on sale" heh) and unlike Slay the Spire, I didnt play THAT much on PC. Hmmm decisions decisions.

Gunlord also only 20% but also kinda tempting.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I wasn't so hateful towards Roguelikes so I could give Dead Cells a shot.

I bought Wizard of Legend and got so bummed when I learned it was a roguelike.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is. I'm just not sold on the button mashing to take out enemies. Seems like that should be some kind of special or charm to get later in the game but to have that from the start seems weird.

The running narration from a presumably older Ori with a Barry White voice is kind of weird though.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Ironcast is cool but hard ass hell. I've never managed to survive a run in that game 😂.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
people confused by Ori's combat are weird, is it because you thought it was melee? Just think of it as a shooter, except its a short range shooter.

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
Can I get some recommendations? I'm a new switch owner with three games: Zelda, Mario, and MK8.

I like action, rpg, rogue likes, metroidvania.

I already have a PS4 and PC so I'm mainly looking for games that are really good on switch (meaning good to have for handheld) or only on switch.

I'm looking at Golf Story.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dead Cells is pretty bad as far as roguelikes go anyway. It's a game with pretty great combat trapped inside a tedious game with lots of mandatory repetition in order to stand a chance to beat it just like Rogue Legacy.

Slay The Spire is fantastic tho.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Dead Cells is pretty bad as far as roguelikes go anyway. It's a game with pretty cool combat trapped inside a tedious game with lots of mandatory repetition in order to stand a chance to beat it just like Rogue Legacy.

Slay The Spire is fantastic tho.

Except its amazing, and so is Rogue Legacy. But hey, congratulations on making your opinion completely invalid to me :p

Oct 26, 2017
I can finally spend some money again. $60 max.
What do I get ERA? This will be my first purchase of the month.

1 big budget game? Zelda/Astral Chain/DXM/DQXI/something else?

Several smaller games? UGG/SWH/something else?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can I get some recommendations? I'm a new switch owner with three games: Zelda, Mario, and MK8.

I like action, rpg, rogue likes, metroidvania.

I already have a PS4 and PC so I'm mainly looking for games that are really good on switch (meaning good to have for handheld) or only on switch.

I'm looking at Golf Story.

Hollow Knight is on of the best Metroidvanias around, let alone on the Switch. It's my personal favourite game of all time.

I'm not a fan of roguelikes but I've heard great things about Dead Cells and I'm sure people here will talk it up.

As for RPGs the Final Fantasy titles on Switch are currently discounted, and I'd personally recommend Steamworld Quest.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Except its amazing, and so is Rogue Legacy. But hey, congratulations on making your opinion completely invalid to me :p
I mean you said yourself that you didn't play that much of it. I thought it was wonderful for the first three hours too :p the problem is you finally realize how the game structured after that.

I do like RL also, it's just that it and Dead Cells are pretty bad when judged strictly as roguelikes, and RL in particular has messed up discourse around the genre online which is quite annoying.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
I can finally spend some money again. $60 max.
What do I get ERA? This will be my first purchase of the month.

1 big budget game? Zelda/Astral Chain/DXM/DQXI/something else?

Several smaller games? UGG/SWH/something else?

Did you know you can now ride a Slime Knight in Dragon Quest 11? That alone is worth a Grant and Hamilton.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I mean you said yourself that you didn't play that much of it. I thought it was wonderful for the first three hours too :p the problem is you finally realize how the game structured after that.

I do like RL also, it's just that it and Dead Cells are pretty bad when judged strictly as roguelikes, and RL in particular has messed up discourse around the genre online which is quite annoying.

I played like 20 hours, I was just comparing to StS which I played like 100 :p

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Is Fire Emblem Warriors the only first party game that has consistently been marked down on amazon? It has been $30 for a long ass time, unless it always was?

I have 40 to burn and don't know if I should spend in eshop or buy FE Warriors.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
wow what is this, looks great and is 70% off (from the makers of Stick it to the Man which is also 75% off)

ghoulie

Oct 28, 2017
Is Fire Emblem Warriors the only first party game that has consistently been marked down on amazon? It has been $30 for a long ass time, unless it always was?

I have 40 to burn and don't know if I should spend in eshop or buy FE Warriors.
If you're in the US, it's not uncommon to see it on Amazon for around $23 or so. $30 is nothing to jump at especially with the holiday season coming up.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Hm I thought I'd ask, what's a better entry to the super robot wars series, T, V, or X? I'd probably prefer one with g Gundam. Thinking of getting it on my switch(importing t from Asia or waiting and seeing what the situation is with the other two)

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
Hollow Knight is on of the best Metroidvanias around, let alone on the Switch. It's my personal favourite game of all time.

I'm not a fan of roguelikes but I've heard great things about Dead Cells and I'm sure people here will talk it up.

As for RPGs the Final Fantasy titles on Switch are currently discounted, and I'd personally recommend Steamworld Quest.
Thanks for the suggestions!

What about local coop games? Something that at least 4 people can play? I hear Overcooked is good? Should I get the first one, it's on sale?