• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
'I played the game 60 hours....but I guess it's not for me'.
giphy.gif

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I reallydont want to be a dick but that is "complex platforming" these days?

Its just double jump -> cling wall -> double jump -> cling wall.

I'm really old I guess :(

It's the best GIF I could find - it is actually one I made 4 years ago. It is not the most complex bit of the game, but just trying to help showcase what it is like for newcomers. And inform those that were comparing it to Celeste earlier in the thread. There is a bit of Celeste/SMB in there, but it is not all that.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I absolutely can't wait for Jedi Outcast this Tuesday! Although I'm still unsure whether to go with Switch or PS4.

The wait for Jedi Academy will feel so long.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Just remembered Ori is on the same day as DQ11 so that means no day 1 because I wont play it any time soon. Again, if only it had a launch discount, I might be tempted.

edit: btw havent seen a good ol' Switch Tax (tm) like this in a while:

Ni No Kuni Remastered PS4 / Steam - 49.99€
Ni No Kuni non-Remastered Switch - 59.99€

200.gif

Last edited:

Bate

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Neo Cab put me to sleep yesterday. Admittedly it was rather late, but there is too little interactivity for me. I struggle with most visual novels as well. With Neo Cab I wanted to move the conversations at a quicker pace and accidentilly clicked dialogue options I didn't want to pick. That was a little frustrating. I am a rather quick reader and the game moves at a glacial pace.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Neo Cab put me to sleep yesterday. Admittedly it was rather late, but there is too little interactivity for me. I struggle with most visual novels as well. With Neo Cab I wanted to move the conversations at a quicker pace and accidentilly clicked dialogue options I didn't want to pick. That was a little frustrating. I am a rather quick reader and the game moves at a glacial pace.
The demo did something weird for me that put me off - don't know if it was a bug or what. I turned off auto read, but some lines would still advance without me clicking, which was really irritating.

Unrelated: all this talk of difficulty in Ori has me doubting if it's for me. I noped out of Celeste after a while, so I dunno.

I guess, given my backlog (which I'm still adding to), that's maybe not such a bad thing.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Unrelated: all this talk of difficulty in Ori has me doubting if it's for me. I noped out of Celeste after a while, so I dunno if it wi be for me.
I don't know if I'm just blind to difficulty in platformers or what, but it's hard for me to judge. I've been playing Mario games since the NES, so those have done a pretty solid job of training me over the years. I finished White Palace and Path of Pain in Hollow Knight, and while I won't say it was easy, I managed it all within a day or two.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I'm just blind to difficulty in platformers or what, but it's hard for me to judge. I've been playing Mario games since the NES, so those have done a pretty solid job of training me over the years. I finished White Palace and Path of Pain in Hollow Knight, and while I won't say it was easy, I managed it all within a day or two.
Yeah, I just suck, lol. I think the only game I've ever beaten that other people suggested wasn't totally trivial was Dandara. And I've no idea what motivated to finish that, tbh.

I plan to go back to Celeste and will probably find out if the death counter can roll around back to zero!

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
This might be a silly question but what about Ori makes it a Metroidvania?

I've played it a while ago (admittedly, only for an hour or two) and it just seemed like a platformer with... interesting combat.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

I've played it a while ago (admittedly, only for an hour or two) and it just seemed like a platformer with... interesting combat.
I can see why it's considered one, since there's a world map with interconnected areas and you get abilities as you progress through the game, but it's an extremely linear game. Still, if Metroid Fusion is a metroidvania, I don't really have an issue with people calling Ori one as well.

I love it, but metroidvania-wise it's not one of my favorites because of that.

leafcutter

Feb 14, 2018
Started Puzzle Quest last night before bed, and it turned into three hours of "just one more fight" and I was up half the night.

This was the nicotine patch that helped me successfully quit WoW back in 2007, and it's nice to have it again as I try and resist the lure of WoW Classic. Lmao

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

you have a large open map with interconnected zones blocked off by abilities you get throughout the game. It's the definition of a metroidvania.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Started Puzzle Quest last night before bed, and it turned into three hours of "just one more fight" and I was up half the night.

This was the nicotine patch that helped me successfully quit WoW back in 2007, and it's nice to have it again as I try and resist the lure of WoW Classic. Lmao

Did they adjust the AI at all so it doesn't cheap like hell? Because I want to buy this game RIGHT now and play it...

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did some number crunching and I found out I've spent approximately $450 just on games I ended up not liking.

I'm not trying to be funny or make people feel bad for me, I just feel kinda angry and disappointed. I know that's the luck of the draw for digital distribution with no refunds but I've realized I'm way too frivolous with my money when it comes to hobbies.

Last edited:

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
I experienced what you're talking about with the dialogue. There was a time where I pressed A and chose something I did not want to, so then I just started letting the text go on auto and waited to respond.

The demo was great though. Sold me on the game.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Ori is easily one of the most beautiful game on the console, but the combat is absolutely horrendous and I may actually pass on that one. It's unfortunate because I love the control and the flow. The overall package seems a little bit cliche to my liking ("the forest is dying and you're gonna find artifacts or whatever magic seeds to save it") but this is solely based on my time with the demo, I may be completely off.
But really, the combat are a huge turnoff, especially after hollow knight which nailed it (hu hu).
I'll probably wait for a sale, but I'm really disappointed.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic Mania is a really good game but I have to fight the intense physical urge to snap my controller in half whenever I lose a Special Stage.

I should probably just play as Knuckles first to learn the level layouts first.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Ori is easily one of the most beautiful game on the console, but the combat is absolutely horrendous and I may actually pass on that one. It's unfortunate because I love the control and the flow. The overall package seems a little bit cliche to my liking ("the forest is dying and you're gonna find artifacts or whatever magic seeds to save it") but this is solely based on my time with the demo, I may be completely off.
But really, the combat are a huge turnoff, especially after hollow knight which nailed it (hu hu).

I like the combat, its like a half-step between melee and ranged, ithought it was neat. Then again combat isnt that game's focus, it's just a means to an end, and you have a skill tree to improve it.

Last edited:

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I can confirm that Sayonara Wild Hearts is very good.

If you're gonna at me with "it's short" and "there's no challenge," it's not for you -- I should say that I don't really look for length or difficulty when assessing a game (in fact, I really enjoy short and easy games these days). Otherwise, it's a wonderful neon pop album come to life that never stops surprising and never stops being enjoyable for its entire runtime. It's something, like a good album, I'll return to a lot, and something I'll want to share with friends.

Not only that, but it's one of the most meticulously polished games I can recall playing for some time. Simogo didn't miss a single corner when shining this game up.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I can confirm that Sayonara Wild Hearts is very good.

If you're gonna at me with "it's short" and "there's no challenge," it's not for you -- I should say that I don't really look for length or difficulty when assessing a game (in fact, I really enjoy short and easy games these days). Otherwise, it's a wonderful neon pop album come to life that never stops surprising and never stops being enjoyable for its entire runtime. It's something, like a good album, I'll return to a lot, and something I'll want to share with friends.

Not only that, but it's one of the most meticulously polished games I can recall playing for some time. Simogo didn't miss a single corner when shining this game up.

i'm debating getting it, price seems... ok for what it is. I loved Journey and Abzu for example.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I've tried playing Ori numerous times in the past and this is also my takeaway.

It's stunning to look at but not fun to play at all, IMO.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Am I the only one launching the DQXI demo everyday for a few minutes, just to prepare for the big day ? :D

you are not the only one. I am SO excited for DQ11. I think it's my most wanted game of the year and I'm so glad we have this long ass demo to play during the wait. Just a few more days!! **excitement intensifies**

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
So this is kinda a crosspost, figured I'm more likely to get a response here. So I'm interested in Super Robot Wars V, so is V is a good place to start and the standard Japanese switch version has English? How would I go around getting it? But that version doesn't have anime music Hunh? Too bad I'm been jamming out to the Super robot spirits albums on Apple Music all afternoon(which I'm guessing are related )

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
i'm debating getting it, price seems... ok for what it is. I loved Journey and Abzu for example.
The cool thing about Sayonara is that while it's is an "experience" sorta game like Journey, It's also very gamey, so it's genuinely fun to replay each stage multiple times. The game encourages it too as there are unlockables for getting gold ranks and the like.

It's kind of like Rhythm Heaven.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
you are not the only one. I am SO excited for DQ11. I think it's my most wanted game of the year and I'm so glad we have this long ass demo to play during the wait. Just a few more days!! **excitement intensifies**
You won't be disappointed. XI is a masterpiece. I put over 200 hours into the PS4 version (don't worry, it doesn't take that long to beat) and I'm getting the Switch version to replay it in the retro mode.

Last edited:

Icey

Oct 27, 2017
So this is kinda a crosspost, figured I'm more likely to get a response here. So I'm interested in Super Robot Wars V, so is V is a good place to start and the standard Japanese switch version has English? How would I go around getting it? But that version doesn't have anime music Hunh? Too bad I'm been jamming out to the Super robot spirits albums on Apple Music all afternoon(which I'm guessing are related )

I've looked into these before because I like the idea of a mech game. I'm just not sure if I'll like the idea more than I'll like the actual game itself. I drop games quickly. V is out October 3rd, the Asian release will have English. X is coming too at some point. T is the one out already, Playasia has T, but it's $70 without tax and shipping and I can't justify that on a game I'm not sure I will even like. I'm sure they'll have V when it's available too.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Jedi Outcast is only 8.99€? Wow... err that might just be a day 1 tbh I never actually played it lol. The smaller screen works wonders for those older games too (case in point, the Turok remasters)

neroxyr

Nov 14, 2018
Finished playing the demo, and it's not that difficult, just the "wait the perfect time to move and use your skills" The demo was easy and short but it give me a taste of what will come and it's amazing graphically and musically speaking: what a soundtrack! When I was watching the intro I thought it was continuing but I had to move the characted. Loved it. Have it preordered. It's pure magic. Played with my 8yo niece and didn't have trouble at all. Then it won't be hard. For the ones who have doubt, don't. Just get it!!

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Problem with making purchase plans based on the eshop (besides those games you just buy on a whim and werent planned) is that a lot of shit you forget is coming out is missing. Case in point, checking out some "october releases" videos, and noteable "big" games that dont have a eshop page yet:

Disgaea 4 Complete
A Hat in Time
Digimon Story Cybersleuth Complete
RE5 and 6
Doraemon Story of Seasons
Atelier Ryza
Dusk Diver
Children of Morta

And the noteable October releases already with store pages:

Luigi's Mansion 3
Overwatch
Witcher 3
Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair
Sniper Elite 3
Call of Cthulhu
Vampyr
Ghostbusters Remastered
Alliance Alive Remastered
Neo Cab
80 Days
Mistover
NG
Killer Queen Black
Trine 4
Baldur's Gate 1 + 2
Mary Skelter 2

We were all so worried about September that we didnt see October sneaking up >_>

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I've looked into these before because I like the idea of a mech game. I'm just not sure if I'll like the idea more than I'll like the actual game itself. I drop games quickly. V is out October 3rd, the Asian release will have English. X is coming too at some point. T is the one out already, Playasia has T, but it's $70 without tax and shipping and I can't justify that on a game I'm not sure I will even like. I'm sure they'll have V when it's available too.
Base no anime music Japan digital version is confirmed to have English text translation

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Problem with making purchase plans based on the eshop (besides those games you just buy on a whim and werent planned) is that a lot of shit you forget is coming out is missing. Case in point, checking out some "october releases" videos, and noteable "big" games that dont have a eshop page yet:

Disgaea 4 Complete
A Hat in Time
RE5 and 6
Atelier Ryza
Dusk Diver
Children of Morta

And the noteable October releases already with store pages:

Luigi's Mansion 3
Overwatch
Witcher 3
Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair
Sniper Elite 3
Call of Cthulhu
Vampyr
Ghostbusters Remastered
Alliance Alive Remastered
Neo Cab
80 Days
Mistover
NG
Killer Queen Black
Trine 4
Baldur's Gate 1 + 2
Mary Skelter 2

We were all so worried about September that we didnt see October sneaking up >_>

Only you missed a "few ones"

Little Town Hero
Raging Loop
Afterparty
YU-NO
Kine
Aladdin and Lion King
Destiny Connect
Candleman
fault: Milestone One
BurgerTime Party!
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz
Super Crate Box
Mable and the Wood
Pine
River City Melee Mach!!
Planescape: Torment and Icewind Dale

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017

Disgaea 4 Complete
A Hat in Time
RE5 and 6
Atelier Ryza
Dusk Diver
Children of Morta

Hey, does Doraemon SoS have a release date yet? I thought I saw October 8th or 11th somewhere, but I can't find mention of a specific release date now.