• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone play Sinking City? I'm in the mood for some Lovecraftian stuff and the deluxe edition with all the DLC is on sale for $13. Might grab that and Sunless Sea, which is also on sale.

Me, I played it. Worth it at that price. I set the combat to easy. It's classic eurojank in that regard. But the detective work is good. They started to release their Sherlock Holmes games as well, which are very similar.

Graphically Sinking City is a clear downgrade from the other versions, but that dark depressing atmosphere is heavy. I wanted to treat it like a Lovecraft book and it fully hit the spot for me, so it's really a good version to get. The lore is pure Lovecraft and his influences, so the better versed you are in it, the more you will get out of it. But the game has a lot of material in game to devour as well. I recommend reading everything you can, which is why handheld mode was quite important to me.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I haven't played any of them, was looking for a new rpg after Triangle strategy.

Hmm. Well, I love the Atelier series and while Sophie did eliminate time limits, it's still one of the "old style" Atelier games. A big difference is that you have an overworld map that you use to travel to different areas. These are smaller areas you will collect materials in and fight enemies etc. Until Ryza time this was the standard.

Ryza 1+2 and Sophie 2 adopted the new style where it's a lot more open world and there is a whole new graphics engine which is a big step up in both areas. The zones in the new games are sprawling and while not true open world they are very large, and stunningly pretty.

So, depending on what you are looking for, Sophie 1 might be a good starting point. It's my favorite of the older style probably (I liked Lydie&Suelle also), and it will be harder to go back to that after playing newer ones. The alchemy is not super hard to learn. There are a lot of moving parts in all the Atelier games' alchemy systems so that shouldn't be a problem.

My recommendation is watch a video of Sophie 1 and see what you think of the graphics and the zones Sophie is exploring when leaving town. If you like what you see, get Sophie 1. If not, I highly recommend Ryza 1. I adored both of the Ryza games and am loving Sophie 2 so these are all easy recommends.

I'd be remiss not to mention the uhh female model issue. While these games do not feature every single female character as a barely-dressed person whom the camera constantly lingers on their breasts/ass, there are several of these in most of the games. I hate it. This series would be better if they would remove all of this. They are legit good, fun games that stand on their own and do not need to objectify women. That's my 1 huge complaint. I still play them because there isnt anything else like these games but whew.

Anyways, good luck lol!

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
ooooh I'm torn on whether to grab this or Lego Star Wars this weekend!
Played it on Xbox Series X. So good if you like the PS1 Resident Evil games or Silent Hill 1-4. Not sure how it looks or plays on the Switch, but it looked amazing on Xbox. It was like the quality of Resident Evil 1 or 0 remasters. I would definitely get it if you are into those games.

I definitely am! Thanks very much :)

Jake2byFour

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm. Well, I love the Atelier series and while Sophie did eliminate time limits, it's still one of the "old style" Atelier games. A big difference is that you have an overworld map that you use to travel to different areas. These are smaller areas you will collect materials in and fight enemies etc. Until Ryza time this was the standard.

Ryza 1+2 and Sophie 2 adopted the new style where it's a lot more open world and there is a whole new graphics engine which is a big step up in both areas. The zones in the new games are sprawling and while not true open world they are very large, and stunningly pretty.

So, depending on what you are looking for, Sophie 1 might be a good starting point. It's my favorite of the older style probably (I liked Lydie&Suelle also), and it will be harder to go back to that after playing newer ones. The alchemy is not super hard to learn. There are a lot of moving parts in all the Atelier games' alchemy systems so that shouldn't be a problem.

My recommendation is watch a video of Sophie 1 and see what you think of the graphics and the zones Sophie is exploring when leaving town. If you like what you see, get Sophie 1. If not, I highly recommend Ryza 1. I adored both of the Ryza games and am loving Sophie 2 so these are all easy recommends.

I'd be remiss not to mention the uhh female model issue. While these games do not feature every single female character as a barely-dressed person whom the camera constantly lingers on their breasts/ass, there are several of these in most of the games. I hate it. This series would be better if they would remove all of this. They are legit good, fun games that stand on their own and do not need to objectify women. That's my 1 huge complaint. I still play them because there isnt anything else like these games but whew.

Anyways, good luck lol!
Thanks, definitely gonna look into Sophie 1&2 and ryza 1&2.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Me, I played it. Worth it at that price. I set the combat to easy. It's classic eurojank in that regard. But the detective work is good. They started to release their Sherlock Holmes games as well, which are very similar.

Graphically Sinking City is a clear downgrade from the other versions, but that dark depressing atmosphere is heavy. I wanted to treat it like a Lovecraft book and it fully hit the spot for me, so it's really a good version to get. The lore is pure Lovecraft and his influences, so the better versed you are in it, the more you will get out of it. But the game has a lot of material in game to devour as well. I recommend reading everything you can, which is why handheld mode was quite important to me.
Thanks for the input. It definitely seems like the best available option in terms of Lovecraft-inspired games.

AerialAir

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I got A Year of Springs on sale as part of the latest eShop deals. I wasn't expecting much, but I was amazed by how good the writing is! Plus, the game is adorable and handles its themes well.
Thanks for the input. It definitely seems like the best available option in terms of Lovecraft-inspired games.
If you haven't played it yet, Call of Cthulhu is also great. It's available on the eShop, though I don't know how well it plays on the Switch as I played it on PC.

bulbasort

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I got A Year of Springs on sale as part of the latest eShop deals. I wasn't expecting much, but I was amazed by how good the writing is! Plus, the game is adorable and handles its themes well.

If you haven't played it yet, Call of Cthulhu is also great. It's available on the eShop, though I don't know how well it plays on the Switch as I played it on PC.
I played A Year of Springs when they were released as individual chapters on mobile, it's great! Highly recommended and cheap narrative game.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
If anyone has kids. Off the Road Unleashed is on sale and it has a demo (5 bucks). It's highly amusing open world driving game with objectives and interacting with objects (getting gas in car)

My son is in love

I don't know about kids (though my son would probably eat this up as well) but I have watched a review and am now SOLD on this thing! This looks to be filling that void that the first Test Drive Unlimited left in me more than 15 years ago lol.

Mr. Gold

Jul 1, 2019
I don't know about kids (though my son would probably eat this up as well) but I have watched a review and am now SOLD on this thing! This looks to be filling that void that the first Test Drive Unlimited left in me more than 15 years ago lol.

It's a lot of fun. Busy work but it let's you decide how and when to do it.

It's an eShop gem for that price.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
FYI: Dragon Quest Builders 2 is the best Minecraft-like game ever made. And it's so much more than Minecraft.
Really long main story, a million options for creating your own home base, lots of classic DQ trappings great music, it's hella addictive!!

My only downside: the cutscenes have text pop on screen - like 2 lines of text - that stay there for like 20+ seconds. It's excruciating and you have read the text 50 times before it moves to the next sentence, of which there are several. Baffling how this is and it's not skippable or able to be sped up.

But that's a minor blemish on an incredible game. If you like building and crafting and fantasy/DQ, check this game out!

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
FYI: Dragon Quest Builders 2 is the best Minecraft-like game ever made. And it's so much more than Minecraft.
Really long main story, a million options for creating your own home base, lots of classic DQ trappings great music, it's hella addictive!!

My only downside: the cutscenes have text pop on screen - like 2 lines of text - that stay there for like 20+ seconds. It's excruciating and you have read the text 50 times before it moves to the next sentence, of which there are several. Baffling how this is and it's not skippable or able to be sped up.

But that's a minor blemish on an incredible game. If you like building and crafting and fantasy/DQ, check this game out!
Thanks for the rec, I think I'll jump in after work today

Glabados

Sep 22, 2018

+1. This game is incredible.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
How are the Telltale Batman games and Tales from the Borderlands on Switch?

Those games were always a giant mess on the technical side so I'm a bit worried about the Switch port?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I think this is the first time DQB2's DLC has been on sale. Anyone played with it before? Seems non essential but is it any good?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How's Dragon Quest XI when played portably? It's on Game Pass but I figure it'd be nice to lay in bed playing a big huge RPG.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How's Dragon Quest XI when played portably? It's on Game Pass but I figure it'd be nice to lay in bed playing a big huge RPG.
Been a while since i finished it, but from my memorties playing exclusively handheld, it runs pretty smoothly. No memories of lag or noticeable slowdown when playing it.

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018

It's one of my favorite games ever and I didn't even beat it, but I got way closer than I would've in a non-portable device. In many ways it's a perfect Switch game.

Now that I have an OLED Switch I'm kinda getting the DQ bug again so I might actually go back and finish the last story arc.

Oct 25, 2017
湘南
Well, thanks for making me feel slightly less frustrated at not getting this edition i guess ;)

On the other hand, you're missing like 6 hours of story content in the middle of the game that happened to be some of my favorite stuff from that game. I recommend checking out a playthrough of that part or something if you don't plan on playing through it again in the future.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
On the other hand, you're missing like 6 hours of story content in the middle of the game that happened to be some of my favorite stuff from that game. I recommend checking out a playthrough of that part or something if you don't plan on playing through it again in the future.

Welp. Tx for the heads-up, i may just have to do that then...no time for another playthrough in this lifetime anyway lol.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Koei-Tecmo sale:

www.nintendo.com

Search Nintendo.com

Search Nintendo.com for games, products news and information.

Sales on Ryza 1 & 2, Fairy Tail, Monster Rancher, Fatal Frame, Rot3K, and others + some DLC.

Is Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water any good? I remember playing one of the early Fatal Frame games and not liking it as much as RE/SH, but it's been a while so I might want to give it another chance.

Last edited:

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Koei-Tecmo sale:

www.nintendo.com

Search Nintendo.com

Sales on Ryza 1 & 2, Fairy Tail, Monster Rancher, Fatal Frame, Rot3K, and others + some DLC.

Is Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water any good? I remember playing one of the early Fatal Frame games and not liking it as much as RE/SH, but it's been a while so I might want to give it another chance.
Never played an Atelier game and have heard the Ryza games are a good starting point. My only "concern" is I'm not into the waifu/husbando thing. Do these games do that?

Oct 27, 2017
Koei-Tecmo sale:

www.nintendo.com

Search Nintendo.com

I'm tempted on FF but it's gotta get a bit cheaper for me.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Never played an Atelier game and have heard the Ryza games are a good starting point. My only "concern" is I'm not into the waifu/husbando thing. Do these games do that?

I haven't played Atelier in a few years, but last ones I played weren't big on romance. They have been getting more fan-servicey as time goes on, but we're talking like Xenoblade 2 levels, not one of the JRPGs that is banned on this site. I could be wrong though as I haven't played any of the Ryza games yet.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee

There isn't romance in the Atelier games really at all. There's no dating system, nothing like that. It's more slice-of-life anime with crafting. There are sexualized/pandering characters/models unfortunately but romance/sex etc is not in these games. Also: Ryza 1+2 are great and a perfect starting point for the series :)

Last edited:

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
There isn't romance in the Atelier games really at all. There's no dating system, nothing like that. It's more slice-of-life anime with crafting. There are specialized characters unfortunately but romance/sex etc is t in these games. Also: Ryza 1+2 are great and a perfect starting point for the series :)
Thanks good to know. I just don't really enjoy the games where they have young characters and really focus on certain physical features of said characters. To each their own, but it's not my thing at all.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Thanks good to know. I just don't really enjoy the games where they have young characters and really focus on certain physical features of said characters. To each their own, but it's not my thing at all.

Ok well…there is no romance but male gaze shots of boobs/asses, in your face in cutscenes is in these games. It really sucks because the games themselves are great and they simply don't need any of this bullshit. So while the stories are all innocent and cute, and characters aren't screwing and having lewd conversations, they cram as much of the ridiculous camera shots as they can and it does cheapen the experience imo.

So frustrating because outside of this, the Atelier games are just a delight to play. Deep gameplay systems, Ryza is beautiful, music is A+++, like it hits all the notes but then needs to pander to teenage basement dwellers I guess to get more sales. So beware - you may not want to play these 👀

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
please join me in a prayer circle for Famicom Detective Club to hit the spring sale (faint sounds of wallet screaming in distance)
or just to ever go on sale at all, really

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
please join me in a prayer circle for Famicom Detective Club to hit the spring sale (faint sounds of wallet screaming in distance)
Not sure if it was true, but i remember someone on here saying that every game on the eshop that is programmed with a bundle specific discount (buy one game, the other one has a discount automatically applied) never goes on sale since the eshop does not handle the discount conflict that would cause, and i don't think the eshop had a case where 2 specific discount were added on the same item. Would LOVE for that to be wrong through, i want to buy them too.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017

Not sure if it was true, but i remember someone on here saying that every game on the eshop that is programmed with a bundle specific discount (buy one game, the other one has a discount automatically applied) never goes on sale since the eshop does not handle the discount conflict that would cause, and i don't think the eshop had a case where 2 specific discount were added on the same item. Would LOVE for that to be wrong through, i want to buy them too.
Yep. It's most likely the reason why Bayonetta 1 or 2 hasn't gone on sale yet. But with the new Bayonetta bundle, I'm hoping the games finally go on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.