• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BentMyWookiee

Oct 27, 2017
Still wondering whether to get the Witcher 3 for my oled. I know it's a technical marvel and it's only £10 (if I buy from Russia) but I'm wondering if the 30fps will annoy me.
Honestly, if this is your only way to play The Witcher 3, then it's a totally fine and enjoyable experience. Go into it knowing you're not playing the best version and I think you'll enjoy it. It's still the same game and pretty amazing to me that it runs on the Switch at all. And once you tweak the settings you can get a pretty solid 30fps for the most part. I only put a few hours into this version, but enjoyed it plenty in handheld. Plus if you ever get the PC version in the future, being able to play with cross save between Switch and PC is a pretty cool feature.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
I nabbed Ori And The Blind Forest in the sale as I have yet to finish that game. Probably the most visually appealing game I have played so far on the Swoled. Will probably pick up some more games, but I see there is still quite some time left on the sale(s).

ADS

Oct 27, 2017
Random sale recommendation, I've been playing through Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania but have been a bit disappointed with it, no multiplayer, wonky physics, not a huge fan of some of the visual changes.

Randomly picked up Paperball Deluxe:

www.nintendo.com

Paperball Deluxe for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Official Site

Buy Paperball Deluxe and shop other great Nintendo products online at the official My Nintendo Store.

and am loving it. It's obviously lower budget than Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania, but the visual design and music are awesome, and it has great local multiplayer modes. Also allows me to *save a challenge run and come back later* which is huge. I don't know who the hell has time to sit down and play through the Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania expert challenge mode in one go, it's ridiculous.

Anyway, if you like Super Monkey Ball at all (especially local multiplayer), try out Paperball Deluxe.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Me ;D One of the greatest games on the N64 (and the Dreamcast version was even better). They don't make games like this anymore so it'll be a nice addition for the Switch
The thing I most remember about Acclaim is their ridiculous marketing stunts. Name your baby Turok, place Shadowman 2 marketing on actual gravestones...

Rellik

Oct 28, 2017
The thing I most remember about Acclaim is their ridiculous marketing stunts. Name your baby Turok, place Shadowman 2 marketing on actual gravestones...

They were actually great games despite the edgy marketing (at least their N64 games) so I welcome these remasters. And if they're done by Nightdive chefkiss.jpg

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
If I'm only going to play one, guacamelee 1 or 2?
If I remember correctly, most people felt G2 was more varried moment to moment by switching your movesets, abilities. G1 played it straight with combat rooms and challenging platforming puzzles.

I think I preferred 2, but both are really good. I would say go ahead and start with 1 and then play 2 if you want more. I don't think anyone here is going to tell you that 2 is SIGNIFICANTLY improved and invalidates 1. It's more a preference, but both are good metrpidvanias.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
If I remember correctly, most people felt G2 was more varried moment to moment by switching your movesets, abilities. G1 played it straight with combat rooms and challenging platforming puzzles.

I think I preferred 2, but both are really good. I would say go ahead and start with 1 and then play 2 if you want more. I don't think anyone here is going to tell you that 2 is SIGNIFICANTLY improved and invalidates 1. It's more a preference, but both are good metrpidvanias.

I second this. They're both good and I think starting with 1 is the right choice.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any Naval warfare games on the Switch? I'm in the mood for playing with big boats and shooting big guns these days lol. I already have AC Blackflag but I'm looking for something a bit more modern like WW2 era or something.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Are there any Naval warfare games on the Switch? I'm in the mood for playing with big boats and shooting big guns these days lol. I already have AC Blackflag but I'm looking for something a bit more modern like WW2 era or something.
I honestly can't think of anything like that at all.

BUT if you sub naval warships with Mech robots and enjoy turned based strategy, Into the Breach, is one of the best turn based tactical games I've ever played. I know that's a streeeeetch from what you were asking! 😆

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Are there specific timings for Nintendo 1st party games to go on sale or are those random? Been considering a few but if they might go on sale shortly I'll wait

If you're in NA, I think they usually put some first party games on sale for New Year's.

Edit: looks like it started January 14th last year and January 9th the previous year.

Last edited:

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So my Shadowverse copy came in yesterday. I like how the physical copy has a manual and it's actually been helpful. Played through chapter 1 and I'm loving the game. I've always wanted to play digital CCG games but f2p mechanics have always turned me off. Shadowverse is looking like it'll scratch the itch I've had since playing the game boy Pokémon TCG game.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
So my Shadowverse copy came in yesterday. I like how the physical copy has a manual and it's actually been helpful. Played through chapter 1 and I'm loving the game. I've always wanted to play digital CCG games but f2p mechanics have always turned me off. Shadowverse is looking like it'll scratch the itch I've had since playing the game boy Pokémon TCG game.
Please report back on a) how much the highschool walking around stuff is annoying or fun, and b) if the story actually gets somewhat interesting or if it's so annoyingly shallow that it might turn people off.

I downloaded Shadowverse on mobile, but I'm doubting it'll hold my interest since it feels pretty much "okay now you're on your own" after a very short tutorial and I felt immediately lost. Also, way too many cards to feel comfortable enough to actually build a working deck lol.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Thank you for this!

Do you know if there's any plans of porting the Brazilian Portuguese subtitles used in the Shadow Man cartridges sold in Brazil?
We do indeed have a Brazilian Portuguese localization of the subtitles, though I don't know if we always had that or if it's new to the console versions.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
Hey all, what are some under-the-radar eShop games you liked this year? 🤔

El Buga

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
We do indeed have a Brazilian Portuguese localization of the subtitles, though I don't know if we always had that or if it's new to the console versions.
I see! The Brazilian subtitles were exclusive for the Brazilian market, it was a really bold move for Gradiente, the local Nintendo distributor, at the time.

Thanks for the reply, this is really THE definitive Shadow Man package for me then. Can't wait!

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
Oh geeze. Not sure what is all this year or your interests but off the top of my head:
Cyber shadow
Astalon
Unsighted
Phoenotopia
Eastward

I'll have to check my switch when I get home but it's been a great year or so on the switch for smaller games!

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, I'm this deep in for sale purchases so far:

A-Train: All Aboard! Tourism
Boomerang X
Unavowed
Clockwork Aquario
ACA NEOGEO King of the Monster 2
Shadowverse: Champion's Battle
Street Fighter 30th Anniversary (replacing my boxed copy)

Also finally grabbed SMTV.

My wallet screams

Mar 3, 2018
So far ive grabbed

Shovel Knight Treasure Trove
Slay the Spire
Dicey Dungeons
Figment
Sine Mora EX

The last two were like $2 and blind purchase and they seem decent. Enjoying Shovel Knight and Slay the Spire so far.

I got about $50 more in eshop credit left that someone gifted me, so open to try some more games while there is a huge sale going on. So if anyone has any recommendations im open.

My top most played switch games are;

Celeste
Hades
Hollow Knight
Cuphead
Streets of Rage
Ori and the blind forest

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
So far ive grabbed

Slay the Spire
Dicey Dungeons
Figment
Sine Mora EX

The last two were like $2 and blind purchase and they seem decent. Enjoying Shovel Knight and Slay the Spire so far.

I got about $50 more in eshop credit left that someone gifted me, so open to try some more games while there is a huge sale going on. So if anyone has any recommendations im open.

Celeste
Hades
Hollow Knight
Cuphead
Streets of Rage
Ori and the blind forest
I think you'd probably get something out of Astalon. It's a really tight Metroidvania that's packed with secrets, you're constantly unlocking shortcuts and trying to push a little further each time.

mrtnmntrl

Nov 5, 2017
Montreal
Holy shit, I can't stop myself. I think buying games has become a game in itself.

So far this week I've bought:

Chicory
Hot Wheels Unleashed (physical)
Moving Out DLC
Disco Elysium
Fast RMX
Going Under
Over The Alps
Overboard!
Severed
Suzerain
The Outer Worlds (physical)
The House in Fata Morgana

I've got a problem. Damn you Deku Deals!

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK
Haul so far:
Kingdom Two Crowns (started it on my iPad but that died a couple of weeks ago ☹️)
Overboard
Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion
Kathy Rain Director's Cut
Assault Chainguns KM
Silver Case 2425
Manticore Galaxy on Fire
Round guard
Phoenotopia
Beast Breaker
Road 96
Zombies Ate My Neighbours/Ghoul Patrol
The Legend of Tianding

All are pretty good so far!

I'd love it if anyone knows of any games like Tianding? The combat in particular!

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017

I had a few that I thought were fun, if a bit lacking in some areas:
Inspector Waffles - A fun, noir satire point and click
Trash Quest - Super short metroidvania. Reminded me a lot of xeodrifter
One Eyed Lee and the Dinner Party - A very goofy point and click
Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion - Silly zelda clone with surprisingly dark story beats
Cultist Simulator - Intentionally obtuse lovecraftian card game

Tycho Kepler

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 22, 2018
Picked up Cthulhu Saves Christmas because I need an old rpg and they still haven't announced those FF pixel remasters for console yet

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is it ever on sale on PSN? I feel like I been waiting for this title to go in sales.

I realize I never replied to this. Sadly if it has gone on sale before, it's certainly not when I was keeping track of it, which along with the Eshop was most of this year. It has been out for over 2 years on PS4, so surely it must've happened at least once... probably.

I mean it's whatever for me, even if it did go on sale on PSN, I prolly wouldn't have gotten it on there, I really rather not play through a visual novel on something that isn't a handheld (the exception being 13 Sentinels... until that too got a Switch port), but yea, who knows how much longer you'll have to wait seeing how long it took for the Eshop sale lol

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
So far ive grabbed

Slay the Spire
Dicey Dungeons
Figment
Sine Mora EX

Celeste
Hades
Hollow Knight
Cuphead
Streets of Rage
Ori and the blind forest

From the current sale, you may enjoy Monster Boy, Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair, Yoku's Island Express, Splasher and Wuppo. I loved all of those.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
So far ive grabbed

Slay the Spire
Dicey Dungeons
Figment
Sine Mora EX

Celeste
Hades
Hollow Knight
Cuphead
Streets of Rage
Ori and the blind forest

Assuming you don't already have it, I think you'd love Into the Breach

Happy new years eShoppers! This is pretty much the only reason I come on ERA, y'all are da best!

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Picked up Cthulhu Saves Christmas because I need an old rpg and they still haven't announced those FF pixel remasters for console yet
You've probably already played it, but if not, Bravely Default 2 is basically an old school RPG with a new paint coat and quality of life I stuff that old RPG were really lacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.