• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BentMyWookiee

Oct 27, 2017
Is Phantom Doctrine worth getting at the current sale price ($6.79? I loved XCOM, though I know this supposedly has more of a stealth focus. I dig the setting of this game, but would mostly be playing in handheld mode. Does it perform alright?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
gonna try the demo for this Valthirian Arc, it's on sale again and it looks cool in the pictures. Mixed reviews on steam doesnt bode well tho. But it's pretty cheap /shrug

edit: hmm that's a quick nope from me. Moving on then...

Last edited:

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Is the single-player content in Nidhogg 2 very worthwhile? It's on a pretty heavy sale and it's always looked fun but I'd be taking a bit of a risk in regards to whether my partner would enjoy it at all lol

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished AI & really enjoyed it. I don't know if I prefer it over 999 & Virtue's Last Reward, but I will say I definitely liked it more than Zero Time Dilemma, especially when it came to the story & its twists. The demo should give you a decent idea of what type of game it is, save for like 4 or 5 instances of silly QTE events that aren't that long or hard.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
This is a cool game.

please don't be more than €15 (it'll probably be €24,99 lol) or I'll have to wait for a 50%off sale but I'd like to support it. iirc the game launched at 1600 MS Points on Live?
I enjoyed it a lot back then, although the addition of online leaderboards would give it more longevity and make the "shooting gallery" AI less of a letdown and even a purpose with the arcade nature of its gameplay/gunplay.
Cool that it has gyro support (to be fair the announcement teaser says motion controls but I doubt it'll be some quick draw motion for the duels :P)

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
please don't be more than €15 (it'll probably be €24,99 lol) or I'll have to wait for a 50%off sale but I'd like to support it. iirc the game launched at 1600 MS Points on Live?
I enjoyed it a lot back then, although the addition of online leaderboards would give it more longevity and make the "shooting gallery" AI less of a letdown and even a purpose with the arcade nature of its gameplay/gunplay.
Cool that it has gyro support (to be fair the announcement teaser says motion controls but I doubt it'll be some quick draw motion for the duels :P)

it's 15€ on Steam so I guess it will be 45€ on Switch.

Im half-joking because im salty at Redeemer / Sphinx / Doreamon / etc lately >_>

Last edited:

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished AI & really enjoyed it. I don't know if I prefer it over 999 & Virtue's Last Reward, but I will say I definitely liked it more than Zero Time Dilemma, especially when it came to the story & its twists. The demo should give you a decent idea of what type of game it is, save for like 4 or 5 instances of silly QTE events that aren't that long or hard.
I second the recommendation for AI: The Somnium Files. It's a full price game and justifiably so.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Is Phantom Doctrine worth getting at the current sale price ($6.79? I loved XCOM, though I know this supposedly has more of a stealth focus. I dig the setting of this game, but would mostly be playing in handheld mode. Does it perform alright?
If you can stomach low-res visuals (with hilariously horrendous hair), textures and sub 30 fps frame rates at times give it a go. It's definitely a port that isn't optimal on a Switch. They are supposedly working on refinements and fixes in a patch but it's been months in the making so who knows when that arrives.

Game play wise I would say it is 100% a stealth game during actual missions. I don't even consider open combat a factor as it's incredibly penalizing to the point of save scumming or game over. The story campaigns are a little too long in my opinion and can wear a little thin on the mission variety because of it but overall I still have really enjoyed my time with the game thanks to the setting and auxiliary investigations between missions.

I say this with 35-something hours clocked in the Switch port.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Played more of Polyroll last night and the game is much better than I expected. Though it copies a lot from the Sonic series, it plays differently enough to have its own identity.

Allyougame

Oct 25, 2017
Call of Juarez will be $19.99 on Switch.
Not surprised, unfortunately. It's the smart move for them, given the still-relatively-affordable price point, the dearth of quality FPS games on the platform, and the support for software by Switch owners.

That said, granted I already own Gunslinger on the 360, but I personally will look to avoid supporting this price-inflated release and this publisher regardless.

Vibbon

Jan 22, 2018
DFW Area, TX
Does the AI demo progress transfer to retail? I've been curious about it but have been hesitant to purchase at full price because ZTD was such a dud, imo.

BentMyWookiee

Oct 27, 2017
If you can stomach low-res visuals (with hilariously horrendous hair), textures and sub 30 fps frame rates at times give it a go. It's definitely a port that isn't optimal on a Switch. They are supposedly working on refinements and fixes in a patch but it's been months in the making so who knows when that arrives.

Game play wise I would say it is 100% a stealth game during actual missions. I don't even consider open combat a factor as it's incredibly penalizing to the point of save scumming or game over. The story campaigns are a little too long in my opinion and can wear a little thin on the mission variety because of it but overall I still have really enjoyed my time with the game thanks to the setting and auxiliary investigations between missions.

I say this with 35-something hours clocked in the Switch port.
Thanks for all of that info! I've decided to hold off on getting this for now. I'm going with Hard West at the even lower price point, which is from the same developer and should hopefully scratch the same itch. I'll keep an eye on Phantom Doctrine to see if it ends up getting patched.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
And another recommendation from me.
I'm 20 hours into the game and the ride is awesome.

I was skeptic about Steins;Gate Elite being $60. But I was wrong. That game was INCREDIBLE and my favorite VN of all time now.

... Do you feel the same way about AI? I'll try the demo tonight when my kids/wife get off the Switch (I have 2 Switches, and I still barely get time on it haha)

Week October 24th
OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Full week on eShop:

NA PR, Sales
EU PR, Sales
JP Article

• Tangle Tower - SFB Games - $19.99/€16.79 (Launch sale: $15.99/€13.43) - 580 MB
    halloweensealsmall6ukpk.png
  • Cat Quest II - PQube - $14.99/€14.99 - 627 MB
  • Monaco: Complete Edition - Pocketwatch Games - $14.99/€14.99 - 297 MB
  • Destiny Connect: Tick-Tock Travelers - NIS America - $39.99/€39.99 - 4.8 GB
  • Skullgirls 2nd Encore - Skybound Games - $24.99/€24.99 - 5.2 GB
    tangletower2mkn1.jpg
    catquestiifaks7.jpg
    monacowhatsyoursisminhqj7p.jpg
    destinyconnecttick-tob2ktk.jpg
    skullgirls2ndencorehbjln.jpg
  • Dusk Diver - PQube - $39.99/€39.99 - 2.9 GB *10/29 on NA*
  • The Park - Funcom Oslo - $9.99/€9.99 - 2.0 GB
  • Day and Night - Ridiculous Games - $19.99/€18.15 - 442 MB
  • Street Outlaws: The List - Game Mill - $39.99/€39.99 - 3.2 GB
  • PBA Pro Bowling - FarSight Studios - $19.99/€19.99 - 1.8 GB
    duskdiver4tjgf.jpg
    theparkojksv.jpg
    dayandnighto7jsc.jpg
    streetoutlawsthelist0sj1y.jpg
    pbaprobowlingjkk0s.jpg
  • Dark Devotion - The Arcade Crew - $19.99/€19.99 - 695 MB
  • Creepy Brawlers - Mega Cat Studios - $4.99/€4.50 - 50 MB
  • Lethis: Path of Progress - Plug In Digital - $19.99/€19.99 - 510 MB
  • Vortex Attack Ex - KaleidoGames - $9.99/€9.99 (Launch sale: $7.89/€7.99) - 125 MB
  • Anthill - Thunderful - $9.99/€9.99 - 58 MB
    darkdevotionaejc8.jpg
    creepybrawlerszykwz.jpg
    lethis-pathofprogressafkam.jpg
    vortexattackexvfko7.jpg
    anthillokjf1.jpg
  • Haunted: Halloween '86 - Mega Cat Studios - $9.99 - 53 MB *NA*
  • Golf - Arcade - Nintendo/Hamster Co. - $7.99/€6.99
  • Dark Veer - Forever Ent. - $4.99/€4.49 (Launch sale: $4.49/€4.09) - 347 MB
  • Ghost Blade HD - eastasiasoft - $14.99/€14.99 (Launch sale: $11.99/€11.99) - 956 MB
  • The Legend of the Dark Witch - Inside System - $6.99/€6.99 (Launch sale: $5.59/€5.59) - 1.6 GB
    hauntedhalloween86nqko8.jpg
    arcadearchivesgolfx2kmx.jpg
    darkveer1ujj0.jpg
    ghostbladehd2nj2w.jpg
    thelegendofdarkwitchnbk1r.jpg
  • Pixel Gladiator - Drageus Games - $6.99/€6.99 (Launch sale: $3.49/€3.49) - 45 MB
  • Ultra Off-Road 2019: Alaska - Ultimate Games - $18.99/€17.99 (Launch sale: $16.14/€15.29) - 1.0 GB
  • Soul Searching - QubicGames - $9.99/€9.99 (Sale if you own one QubicGames game: $4.99/€4.99) - 396 MB
  • Mary Skelter 2 - Idea Factory - $39.99/€39.99 (Launch sale: $31.99/€31.99) - 10.3 GB *10/23 on EU*
  • Deep Space Rush - Ratalaika Games - $4.99/€4.99 (Launch sale: $3.99/€3.99) - 28 MB
    pixelgladiatorrhjgp.jpg
    ultraoff-roadsimulatorakf1.jpg
    soulsearchingi5k0v.jpg
    maryskelter2pxk9c.jpg
    deepspacerushm1jmn.jpg
  • Into the Dead 2 - Versus Evil - $34.99/€34.99 - 1.3 GB
  • Fear of Traffic - Flavio Rausa - $5.50/€5.69 - 228 MB
  • Tennis Go - Sabec - $8.99/€7.99 - 86 MB
  • Bayala: The Game - EuroVideo Medien - €39.99 - 3.0 GB *EU*
  • Winter Sports Games - Joindots - $24.99/€24.99 - 558 MB
    intothedead2hbj9n.jpg
    fearoftrafficirklt.jpg
    tennisgo34j5m.jpg
    bayala9yjvz.png
    wintersportsgamessqka4.jpg
  • O×Logic Puzzle 1000! - Success - $14.00/€12.72 - 57 MB
  • Party Treats - QubicGames - $1.99/€1.99 (Sale if you own one QubicGames game: €0.49) - 475 MB
  • Let's Sing Country - Koch Media - $44.99 - 2.3 GB *NA*
  • Let's Sing 2020 - Koch Media - €39.99 - 2.4 GB *EU*
  • Pizza Bar Tycoon - Baltoro Games - $4.99/€4.99 (Launch sale: $3.74/€3.74) - 146 MB
    oxlogicpuzzle1000rxk9j.jpg
    partytreatsl5jlu.jpg
    letssingcountry6qk9i.jpg
    letssing2020dtjo5.jpg
    pizzabartycoonl3ko0.jpg
  • Jewel Rotation - Sprakelsoft - $5.99/€4.99 - 377 MB
  • Réussir: Code de la Route - French Highway Code - Anuman Interactive - €29.99 - 1.4 GB *EU*
    jewelrotationxkjb4.jpg
    reussirgljs0.png

- Demos

• Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 - SEGA
  • Ai: The Somnium Files! - Spike Chunsoft *NA*
  • The friends of Ringo Ishikawa - CIRCLE Ent.
  • Jet Kave Adventure - 7Levels
  • Demolition Crew - xirBX
  • Jewel Rotation - Sprakelsoft

- Japan

• Sisters Runner - AlfaSystem - ¥500
    sistersrunner5jkqi.jpg

- Late Releases

• Raging Loop - PQube - $29.99 (Launch sale: $26.99) - 911 MB
    *NA*
  • Sea Salt - YCJY Games - €14.99 - 1.2 GB *EU*
  • Double Switch - 25th Anniversary Edition - Limited Run Games - €11.99 - 4.4 GB *EU*
  • Desktop Rugby - Sat-Box - €6.81 - 645 MB *EU*

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
I was skeptic about Steins;Gate Elite being $60. But I was wrong. That game was INCREDIBLE and my favorite VN of all time now.

... Do you feel the same way about AI? I'll try the demo tonight when my kids/wife get off the Switch (I have 2 Switches, and I still barely get time on it haha)
I am not Herb, but while I enjoyed Stein's Gate (no previous background with the Anime), for me as a whole Somnium was a far better game. Same as Herb, the story in Somnium and its twists felt to me like a wild ride, while in SG getting the "true ending" (and actually all alternate endings except the one I first got) absolutely necessitated, after reaching the first ending, my constantly looking things up in a walkthrough (unless I missed something there was no logic as to which of the many choices would get a you a different ending), and felt more like a technical chore.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017

I am not Herb, but while I enjoyed Stein's Gate (no previous background with the Anime), for me as a whole Somnium was a far better game. Same as Herb, the story in Somnium and its twists felt to me like a wild ride, while in SG getting the "true ending" (and actually all alternate endings except the one I first got) absolutely necessitated, after reaching the first ending, my constantly looking things up in a walkthrough (unless I missed something there was no logic as to which of the many choices would get a you a different ending), and felt more like a technical chore.
To contrast, while I enjoyed AI immensely, it wasn't even close to Stein's;Gate (the original, haven't played Elite yet) which is in my top five games of all time.

From a gameplay perspective, it's true that AI is objectively superior, but S;G has the story beat by a mile - and for me that's the more important aspect of a VN.

LiftGammaGain

Oct 29, 2017
Asia-Europe
Got Ghost Blade HD. One of the few Euro Shmups that i find actually fun to play. Already had it on Ps4 but now i can use it with the Flip Grip.
For those that jump in i recomend the alternative soudtrack,wich is a remix of the original. I think i has a bit more punch..

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France

Sorry for the late answer.
I'm 25 hours in and I think the end is near.
Imo it's totally worth the price, the story and characters are awesome, with some Wtf moments and really nice plot twists.
Just be aware the technical side isn't really good, with jaggies, framerate drops (lol) and some weirdly long load times at some moments.
It's really not a deal breaker as far as I'm concerned but this isn't a perfect port.

If you liked previous ushikoshi's games, you'll definitely love the ride!

Sadly the demo isn't really indicative of the game imo. Begining isn't great, and the gameplay isn't the selling point (I really don't like somnium mechanics tbh)

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Just bought a Switch. I've got £20 to spare so what's worth getting on the eshop that isn't available on PSN? Obviously Untitled Goose Game is an option.

Gunkankun

Oct 29, 2017
Also, Persona Q2 is 30% off.
Other than that, Steamworld Dig (2,60€) and some Circle games (-40%).

Is it worth picking up Radiant if you've played about an hour or the ds version? I liked it but didn't fall in love with it, but didnt give it a lot of time. Haven't touched the 3DS in forever, but that seems like a good price.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Just bought a Switch. I've got £20 to spare so what's worth getting on the eshop that isn't available on PSN? Obviously Untitled Goose Game is an option.

Metroidvania: Hollow Knight
Sports RPG: Golf Story
Mining RPG: Steamworld Dig 2
Best Harvest Moon Ever: Stardew Valley
Rhythm Adventure: Cadence of Hyrule
Old school platform adventure: Blaster Master / Zero

Stardee, Steamworld and Hollow Knight are on PS4 I'm listing them in case you have not played. Others are switch only

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Is it worth picking up Radiant if you've played about an hour or the ds version? I liked it but didn't fall in love with it, but didnt give it a lot of time. Haven't touched the 3DS in forever, but that seems like a good price.

I say yes if you love old school RPGs.
New things are:

1. a new What If side scenario that plays out while you play the game normally
2. Character art redone. Menu and UI cleaner up
3. Added voice acting
4. A new opening animation
5. A few new music tracks composed by Shimomura
6. On 3ds you play on top screen and bottom has a new always visible mini map
7. Characters not in active pArty now have support skills that activate in battles
8. A new dungeon that gets larger as you progress that drops a new currency you use to buy items and equipment outside the games normal town shops
9. A pass on the translation to clean it up
10. There are now 3 difficulty options instead of none
11. Volume sliders

and a lot of other little things.
Basically if you are interested in the game, the 3ds version is definitive and the one you should play :)

Gunkankun

Oct 29, 2017
I say yes if you love old school RPGs.
New things are:

1. a new What If side scenario that plays out while you play the game normally
2. Character art redone. Menu and UI cleaner up
3. Added voice acting
4. A new opening animation
5. A few new music tracks composed by Shimomura
6. On 3ds you play on top screen and bottom has a new always visible mini map
7. Characters not in active pArty now have support skills that activate in battles
8. A new dungeon that gets larger as you progress that drops a new currency you use to buy items and equipment outside the games normal town shops
9. A pass on the translation to clean it up
10. There are now 3 difficulty options instead of none
11. Volume sliders

and a lot of other little things.
Basically if you are interested in the game, the 3ds version is definitive and the one you should play :)

Thanks for this! :) will pick it up.