• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
You convinced me. It's done and downloaded.

Now to mull over Ori before the sale ends. I enjoyed the demo at PAX East a few years ago but the platforming was tough and the checkpoint system was a bit unforgiving.

There are TONS of gems that will probably never come to Switch. I'm surprised you don't have Mario 3D Land. Pocket Card Jockey, Samus Returns, Fire Emblem Echoes, Fantasy Life, LBX: Little Battle eXperience, Kirby: Planet Robobot, Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies and Spirit of Justice are some easy recs. As for RPGs, Bravely Default, Bravely Second, and Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology (Jeremy Parish recommends playing it on Easy since the QOL improvements are welcome), etc. Not to mention the digital-only games like Crimson Shroud, Kokuga, Attack of The Friday Monsters, Weapons de Omasse, and Liberation Maiden. I also have to shout out Rhythm Heaven: Megamix and WarioWare.

All the Etrian Odyssey games have demos with progress carrying over to the full game. EO IV and Nexus are considered the best of the 3DS titles. Radiant Historia's demo progress also carries to the full game. Sushi Striker is much better on DS than it is on Switch due to the stylus control.
I might do a quick rttp 2ds thread for suggestions. Also have Sushi on switch

Zeeman

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, I wasn't planning to buy anything else (grabbed Boxboy, Golf Story, Wandersong and Diablo) but I tried the demos of DQXIS and DQB2 and even 10 minutes in they both feel pretty enjoyable. The only thing that's stopping me is I don't really have time for long games right now, but they're very tempting

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Ugh, I wasn't planning to buy anything else (grabbed Boxboy, Golf Story, Wandersong and Diablo) but I tried the demos of DQXIS and DQB2 and even 10 minutes in they both feel pretty enjoyable. The only thing that's stopping me is I don't really have time for long games right now, but they're very tempting

they are both very long games too. Just sayin'

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I might do a quick rttp 2ds thread for suggestions. Also have Sushi on switch
Let's not forget picross 3D round 2, theatrhythym Final fantasy, and the pushmo games. I probably could run you down a huge list with impressions of want. Also super Mario maker 3D has the best single player of any mario game. The challenge medals for each add lots of replay value.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
EamwpnOWoAAUtxy

jump rope challenge just dropped out of no where from Nintendo. It is 78MB and free.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thought of making a thread but I'll just post it here - I'm slightly disappointed with Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair. I think my expectations were too high going in because people had been comparing it favourably to Tropical Freeze, and I'm finding it falling short pretty dramatically. I'm a huge Tropical Freeze fan, beat it on Wii U, beat it on Switch and got all speed run gold medals, etc.

I just don't think the level design holds a candle to Tropical Freeze, which just has such a great flow once you master the roll jump and everything else. I never minded playing levels in Tropical Freeze to get the collectables or doing the speed runs because they were designed so well. Even just visually they were much more memorable. That's not the case in Yooka Laylee. Going back to previous levels to look for the TWIT coins to open the Paywalls (terrible mechanic totally not worth the joke they were going for) was a chore. Even now I've got 30 bees and I'm just wanting to get through the Impossible Lair so I can finish it.

I guess it's just a matter of expectations. Tropical Freeze was made by a studio with a lot more money and time than Playtonic would have had.

Oct 25, 2017
I posted a video of the Jump Rope Challenge and wanted to see what happens when you do it multiple days in a row. there only seem to be so many backgrounds you can download.

Dec 2, 2019
Oh okay, I have no plans to sell any of my systems - just worried in case if I need to replace it if it stops working.

I have a total of 31 games at the moment, and out of the 31 - only 4 left unplayed/incomplete so my 3DS library is running dry lol.
You have to perform a system transfer to move all your games from the old 2DS to the new 2DS XL. You just need both consoles to be online without Nintendo doing anything.

Not sure why others told you so.

SJUG

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
United States
Add Dragon Quest XI, Thronebreaker, and Minit to games I picked up. I picked up so many games ahh.

At the very least, I have a good amount of Gold Coins now that I can use towards Cross Code next month.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
What's the closest game to Shadow Tactics: Blades of The Shogun on Switch?
Mutant Year Zero. Shadow Tactics is a very specific kind of game, there is no real genre-sibling on Switch (massive bummer). But with MYZ you have a linear story-focused stealth-tactics game starring actual characters. Closest one I can think of. Everything else is usually straight up tile-based squad tactics.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Mutant Year Zero. Shadow Tactics is a very specific kind of game, there is no real genre-sibling on Switch (massive bummer). But with MYZ you have a linear story-focused stealth-tactics game starring actual characters. Closest one I can think of. Everything else is usually straight up tile-based squad tactics.
Isn't the Switch port dreadful, though?

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Isn't the Switch port dreadful, though?
No. It's not perfect but, as usual, internet hyperbole and no follow-up has done its damage...

www.resetera.com

Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden Deluxe Edition + Seed of Evil Expansion |OT| The Moose is Loose

Developer: The Bearded Ladies Console Ports: High Voltage Software Publisher: Funcom Platforms: Nintendo Switch [new!], PC, Playstation 4, and Xbox One Release Date (Switch, Seed of Evil, and DX Edition Retail): July 30, 2019 | PS4 digital: August 6, 2019 | Japan: November 21, 2019 Original...

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I bought the Chruch in the Darkness which is only 5 euros. I was always interested by the concept of the game. I'll give some impressions when I'm done with Black Flag.

ALso, speaking of Black Flag; how the hell can that game be so good, when ACIII was so bad? Seriously, it sometimes feels like I'm playing a AAA sid Meier's Pirates!
Also, the game looks really good; so good that I wonder how they made it run on PS360.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
I bought the Chruch in the Darkness which is only 5 euros. I was always interested by the concept of the game. I'll give some impressions when I'm done with Black Flag.

ALso, speaking of Black Flag; how the hell can that game be so good, when ACIII was so bad? Seriously, it sometimes feels like I'm playing a AAA sid Meier's Pirates!
Also, the game looks really good; so good that I wonder how they made it run on PS360.

We told you! There's a reason AC3 is considered the black sheep in the series. Glad you're enjoying it, it's a great game.

Rogue is good too, though not as good as BF.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
were the Switch ports of the Beamdog enhanced games (Planescape, Baldur's Gate, etc.) ever patched to be improved? I remember passing on them at launch partially because $50 was a bit ridiculous but also because the reviews said the Switch ports ran noticeably worse than the PS4/XB1 versions

tempted to get them now at $35 a pop though to have on the go

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Summer in Mara review NL

Ouch

what a trainwreck

From the review: [* for edited text]

"What follows over the next dozen or so hours can only be summed up as one lengthy, arduous fetch quest"

" * early quest sees you needing to talk to a woman on a busy island
Upon reaching the island, you can't talk to the woman directly but must first wait to talk to fishermen running a store that isn't open yet. Once the fishermen tell you where she is (you already knew), you run all the way to the other side of the island to finally talk to her, only to discover she doesn't talk to you.
you're told you have to talk to other people in town to figure out how to talk to her. You're not told who would have this information, you have to talk to everyone until you find the correct people, each with their own tiresome errands you have to do before they'll tell you what you need to know."

"the entire game is predicated on this almost comical focus on wasting your time"

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

Devolver sure brings them all, doesn't it?

weird trailer, it was already announced for Switch.

Summer in Mara review NL

Ouch

what a trainwreck

From the review: [* for edited text]

"What follows over the next dozen or so hours can only be summed up as one lengthy, arduous fetch quest"

" * early quest sees you needing to talk to a woman on a busy island
Upon reaching the island, you can't talk to the woman directly but must first wait to talk to fishermen running a store that isn't open yet. Once the fishermen tell you where she is (you already knew), you run all the way to the other side of the island to finally talk to her, only to discover she doesn't talk to you.
you're told you have to talk to other people in town to figure out how to talk to her. You're not told who would have this information, you have to talk to everyone until you find the correct people, each with their own tiresome errands you have to do before they'll tell you what you need to know."

"the entire game is predicated on this almost comical focus on wasting your time"

I did a short video on the prologue (because the prologue itself is only 30mins long) and yeah, it was janky and simple and didnt leave me with high hopes

AceyPrime

May 16, 2018
Duke Nukem 3D just popped up on eShop, releasing June 23 for $9.99, on sale now for $4.99. Time to party like it's 1996!

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Ugh I just saw reviews for:
Summer in Mara

Damn...a 3/10 from Nintendo Life. I was really looking forward to a new farming game and this one LOOKED amazing.
Apparently the graphics are one of the only good things about it. Nintendo Life says the entire game is 1 huge fetch quest
and there are no consequences for anything, and it's just a complete waste. They seem to have hated it.
Oh, well, guess I dodged a bullet as I was fully expecting to wake up today and download it!

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I played the demo on Steam. It looked bad and played worse.

Damn. This is so disappointing. The screenshots I saw looked so freaking good. I was naive to think this was going to be like zelda mixed with Stardew. Oh well...I can just replay Stardew at this point. I won't play Mara even for free, with the reviews I've read. What a disaster, and what a waste of those graphics for a game that's apparently a soulless chore.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
I think the Dark Souls port is great, except for the low quality sound. That said, I'm not very sensitive to frame rate issues and I recall some talk about frame pacing or whatever that means...
yeah it may be frame pacing I'm noticing, I guess? But it seems like the framerate just tanks into the low 20's when there are too many things going on at once. Also, Another weird issue I'm having, and this may be OLED specific, but the games brightness adjustment seems broken. I have to put brightness on 10 (max) for it to look halfway normal. It has you adjust the brightness by making one image visible and one image disappear. Except the image on the right is never visible to begin with. This is the only game I have this problem with. All other Switch games look perfect.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I just saw both Darius Collections are up & noooope, waiting for a sale. $45 for the Arcade collection (4 games, but 7 versions total) while the Console is $60 (6 games with 9 versions total)...which is also on PSN for $78 despite being the same game so who knows WTF is going on there & why the prices are different.

But for both titles, to get all 10 games (16 versions total), you're looking at $105 + tax. I'd like to get those collections but absolutely not at that price. That's the "you get these games physical in a LE with a few bonuses" price at the least.

Now I'm bummed Konami never ported their shmup collections on the PSP or did a new collection in the line of Contra, Castlevania, or Arcade Classics.

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I just saw both Darius Collections are up & noooope, waiting for a sale. $45 for the Arcade collection (4 games, but 7 versions total) while the Console is $60 (6 games with 9 versions total)...which is also on PSN for $78 despite being the same game so who knows WTF is going on there & why the prices are different.

But for both titles, to get all 10 games (16 versions total), you're looking at $105 + tax. I'd like to get those collections but absolutely not at that price. That's the "you get these games physical in a LE with a few bonuses" price at the least.

Now I'm bummed Konami never ported their shmup collections on the PSP or did a new collection in the line of Contra, Castlevania, or Arcade Classics.
Yeah, the prices aren't too surprising to me just based on how the whole release has been handled but it's still a bummer to see. I really want to try those games but can't really justify picking up either collection, especially not having played any of them before anyway. Glad they finally made it outside of Japan in any case.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Yeesh. Kind of where I'm at with the psikyo collections. At least those are cheaper than physical, but some of these seem too high. Guess I'll be waiting a long time to get these games. If space invaders collection comes west, I assume it will be equally as costly.

Zeeman

Oct 25, 2017
AI The Somnium Files is the last game I'm really considering from the current sale, I would have wanted it physical but that version seems to not go on sale

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Lol. I just heard that EAs new (non Switch) Star Wars game is going to be $40.

That's $10 less than the Burnout Paradise port on Switch. Just let that sink in for a moment.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018

If you're not a Darius diehard, you only really need the arcade collection, which is the cheaper of the two. Darius 1, 2, Sagaia (revised version of 2), and Gaiden are the highlights of the early Darius days. The only things really missing are Super Darius 1 and 2, but those are completely absent from both collections. I bet they'll show up alongside G-Darius in the second Cozmic Collection.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to get A Hat In Time. Is it true that the head developer stole art assets from his employees and doxxed people?

Status
Not open for further replies.