• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which is your most anticipated indie of 2021?

• Sports Story

Votes: 65 14.6%
  • Axiom Verge 2

Votes: 62 14.0%
  • Baldo

Votes: 12 2.7%
  • Eastward

Votes: 36 8.1%
  • Mineko's Night Market

Votes: 16 3.6%
  • Hollow Knight: Silksong

Votes: 225 50.7%
  • Other (Post about it)

Votes: 28 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
What's the consensus on Tales of Vesperia? My JRPG experience is slim due to my general disdain for Anime tropes but I fell in love with the latest DQ and YS entries

It's decent, but not a must-play. Tales of Vesperia's big claim to fame is that it was the first Tales game on the 360/PS3 generation and the visuals were a noticeable step up from past games in the series. The series is generally very traditional for a JRPG except for the battle system which is Action-based, sort of like a much simpler fighting game.

Double

Nov 1, 2017
I'm 30 hours in and have escaped four times so far. I love it.
I'm also super sucked into Hades. If anyone would be interested in watching it rather than playing (even though I have no idea why you would ;)), may I shamelessly use this opportunity to link my stream. I stream every second of my Hades gameplay there, currently live every couple of days: https://www.twitch.tv/daumenschmaus
Speaking german mostly, ingame text is in english though ^_^

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
Can anyone recommend any 2 - 4 player local coop games suitable for children, but aren't fast paced like Overcooked? My little girl struggles with that. We already have Kirby which we've played to death over the years. Don't mind which genre, just must be coop and not competitive!

Atram

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Can anyone recommend any 2 - 4 player local coop games suitable for children, but aren't fast paced like Overcooked? My little girl struggles with that. We already have Kirby which we've played to death over the years. Don't mind which genre, just must be coop and not competitive!

Animal Crossing, some of the Lego Games come my mind

BioFan

Oct 31, 2017
My son too, but he enjoys moving out. It was on sale last week too.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Most of the lego games have at least 2 player co-op.

Are we talking parent+ Child playing or multiple children playing together, and what sort of age? Because New super mario bros U Deluxe is entirely co-op, and has a single character, Nabbit, who is entirely invincible to enemies which might be nice if it's only one child playing. Nabbit can still die to pits/crushing though, similar to how those are instant deaths in kirby.

I think pokemon let's go is entirely co-op in some manner too? It's not particularly well balanced, I'm told, but that presumably won't matter much to children.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

One of my 6-year olds LOVED playing Luigi's Mansion in 2-player co-op mode.

TwntyOneTwlv

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Been looking forward to the proper release of Glyph ! Very solid platformer. It's kind of hard, But it's the good type of hard.

Full disclosure. I did help them out a little bit a while back, so i kind of know what to expect from the game. They somehow managed to get it running at around ~60 fps undocked so that's cool.

This looks insanely good. Thank you for putting it on my radar!

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

My fiancee and I have been devouring Part Time UFO lately. Very simple, easy to understand concept but also a decent enough depth to it if you wanna go for all of the medals. Very, very cute and goofy aesthetic, silly plot and scenarios, lots of costumes to unlock (that each have different versions for player two!), and a surprisingly awesome soundtrack

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, Florida
My six year old really enjoys the Lego games, particularly Lego City Undercover and the Harry Potter Series. He also had fun with Woodle Tree 2 which is very simple and has co op.

A good thing about the Lego games listed is that that the camara follows the player automatically which makes the controls easier for him i.e. no right analogue controls.

docus

Feb 14, 2018
My 6 and 10 year olds love these co-op games:

Good Job
The Stretchers
Pikuniku
Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker

😊

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
My fiancee and I have been devouring Part Time UFO lately. Very simple, easy to understand concept but also a decent enough depth to it if you wanna go for all of the medals. Very, very cute and goofy aesthetic, silly plot and scenarios, lots of costumes to unlock (that each have different versions for player two!), and a surprisingly awesome soundtrack
My 6 and 10 year olds love these co-op games:

Good Job
The Stretchers
Pikuniku
Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker

😊
So, I tried getting my wife to play some co-op games with me, but she gets stressed out (and so doesn't enjoy) any game where she is expected to have any minimal reflexes/reactions or even some minimal dexterity. Even Snipperclips is off the table (she tried). Is there ANY game from the above that is pure puzzle solving in co-op, without any platforming and/or quick reactions and/or dexterity needed? I played Captain Toad on WiiU, and from what I remember, while I think at least some challenges were pure puzzles, more than a few weren't, so that is off the table. I don't know anything about the following though, will any fit the bill?
Part Time UFO
Good Job
The Stretchers
Pikuniku

BourbonJungle

Nov 1, 2017
So, I tried getting my wife to play some co-op games with me, but she gets stressed out (and so doesn't enjoy) any game where she is expected to have any minimal reflexes/reactions or even some minimal dexterity. Even Snipperclips is off the table (she tried). Is there ANY game from the above that is pure puzzle solving in co-op, without any platforming and/or quick reactions and/or dexterity needed? I played Captain Toad on WiiU, and from what I remember, while I think at least some challenges were pure puzzles, more than a few weren't, so that is off the table. I don't know anything about the following though, will any fit the bill?
Part Time UFO
Good Job
The Stretchers
Pikuniku

Untitled Goose Game.

You're welcome

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Part Time UFO
Good Job
The Stretchers
Pikuniku

Part Time UFO has a timer, but the timer is generally just there for medal challenges. It's basically just stacking oddly shaped things and laughing at the results/failures of it. The non-time based challenges are pretty fun though!

I haven't played Good Job or Pikuniku, but based on what you said above I'd say The Stretchers is gonna be too much for her. Lotta navigating in 3D space

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Part Time UFO has a timer, but the timer is generally just there for medal challenges. It's basically just stacking oddly shaped things and laughing at the results/failures of it. The non-time based challenges are pretty fun though!

I haven't played Good Job or Pikuniku, but based on what you said above I'd say The Stretchers is gonna be too much for her. Lotta navigating in 3D space
Thanks! How much dexterity does the stacking need (as in how much does she need to be able to have fine cursor control using the joycon to places things)? Or is it just a matter of deciding what to place over what, while how it is placed exactly over the previous piece does not matter?

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks! How much dexterity does the stacking need (as in how much does she need to be able to have fine cursor control where she places things)? Or is it just a matter of deciding what to place over what, while how it is placed exactly over the previous piece does not matter?

There are physics to the stacking, but things end up being stickier than you'd think. Some of the later levels required a bit more finesse, but the challenge generally was figuring out the order to stack things.

Though now that I'm sitting here thinking about it, some of the later levels also involve dodging shuriken or placing things on moving or more unstable objects. Starting to think maybe it won't work for ya

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
There are physics to the stacking, but things end up being stickier than you'd think. Some of the later levels required a bit more finesse, but the challenge generally was figuring out the order to stack things.

Though now that I'm sitting here thinking about it, some of the later levels also involve dodging shuriken or placing things on moving or more unstable objects. Starting to think maybe it won't work for ya
Ok, thanks! Might still consider it for the earlier levels, I can play the rest on my own... Will see.

BourbonJungle

Nov 1, 2017
Ok, thanks! Might still consider it for the earlier levels, I can play the rest on my own... Will see.

None of my lady friends have been gamers so I have an odd list of video games I've enjoyed with them, Goose Game being a recent addition.

Many are also good drinking games where you've got time or a free hand to drink and chat while playing.

I like Quiz & Dragon from a PS2 Capcom Collection, House of the Dead Overkill (with nyko gun peripheral you've got a free hand for drinking), Boom Blox (Wii, mostly the jenga type mode), Wii Sports, Monkey Ball mini games, Trauma Team / Centre, Wario Ware...

Not as familiar with the current generation of co-op or simple 2p games but should you have any retro consoles those ones usually hook non gamers.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
Part Time UFO
Good Job
The Stretchers
Pikuniku

We only played the first two levels of Good Job with my three year old son but he really liked it. You're scored at the end but it is laid back, no fail states or dexterity required as far as I can tell. Not sure about the later boards.

Shibata100

Oct 29, 2017
How the hell did I miss Octahedron when it was first released. Picked up on sale, only played 4 Levels and I am loving this game.

digreyfox

Nov 7, 2017
So I'm going through this thread, the past monthlies, the OTs and so on but am not quite finding what I'm looking for, so any suggestions are welcome:

I'm looking for a pick up and resume game which, however, has a relaxing, build as you go logic. Like something you can ease into at the end of the day and play in a relaxed way but still build up overall progress.

Like stardew valley or animal crossing but maybe with combat or a similar mechanic ? More action packed than animal crossing (which I still play) but not intense like monster hunter (which I love and is exactly what I would be looking for but MH specifically gets me in the MH zone and can be stressing/energy consuming).

Been alternating between DQ XI (which is great but slow and cut-sceney for what I'm looking for, and the PC moves on molasses) and Hades.

Moonlighter seemed like it could be it but didn't really click for some reason.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm going through this thread, the past monthlies, the OTs and so on but am not quite finding what I'm looking for, so any suggestions are welcome:

I'm looking for a pick up and resume game which, however, has a relaxing, build as you go logic. Like something you can ease into at the end of the day and play in a relaxed way but still build up overall progress.

Like stardew valley or animal crossing but maybe with combat or a similar mechanic ? More action packed than animal crossing (which I still play) but not intense like monster hunter (which I love and is exactly what I would be looking for but MH specifically gets me in the MH zone and can be stressing/energy consuming).

Been alternating between DQ XI (which is great but slow and cut-sceney for what I'm looking for, and the PC moves on molasses) and Hades.

How about Sakuna of Rice and Ruin? I had some very slight issues with its pacing when I first started playing, but I just got back into it this week and I'm having a blast. Combat is fun and easy to pull off cool looking, satisfying combos without being very complex, and the rice growing mechanics are neat on their own, but your stats being tied to your rice output makes it so addictive. Only thing I'm not super into with the game right now is its level design, but even that isn't much of an issue once I got a certain skill that made traversal much more fun

digreyfox

Nov 7, 2017
How about Sakuna of Rice and Ruin? I had some very slight issues with its pacing when I first started playing, but I just got back into it this week and I'm having a blast. Combat is fun and easy to pull off cool looking, satisfying combos without being very complex, and the rice growing mechanics are neat on their own, but your stats being tied to your rice output makes it so addictive. Only thing I'm not super into with the game right now is its level design, but even that isn't much of an issue once I got a certain skill that made traversal much more fun
The nintendo website for that game is literally next to this one and has been for a while now. Looking into the game, this might be it... Thank you for the suggestion!

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

have you tried dragon quest builders? i think there's a demo

Allyougame

Oct 25, 2017
Jumped on Octahedron and Panzer Dragoon Remake at those prices.

Still eagerly waiting for Capcom to reveal more details/prices about Capcom Arcade Stadium, especially Pack 3.

Week January 21st
OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Week on eShop:

NA PR, Sales
EU Article
JP Article

• Unspottable - GrosChevaux - $11.99/€11.99 - 636 MB
  • Redout: Space Assault - 34BigThings - $9.99/€9.99 - 1.8 GB
  • Neoverse Trinity Edition - Tino Games - $24.00/€19.49 - 4.0 GB
  • Tadpole Treble Encore - BitFinity - $8.99 - 178 MB *NA*
  • Spinny's Journey - Thunder Sparrow - $14.99/€11.99 - 418 MB
    unspottablebikyo.jpg
    redoutspaceassaultpojsc.jpg
    neoversetrinityeditiolxkgt.jpg
    tadpoletrebleencoreu8jw9.jpg
    spinnysjourneyvrjs8.jpg
  • Sally Face - Portable Moose - $14.99/€12.99 - 1.6 GB
  • Dungeon Nightmares 1 + 2 Collection - K Monkey - $12.00/€13.99 - 1.4 GB
  • Missile Dancer - Dico - $9.99/€9.99 - 53 MB
  • Shing! - Mass Creation - $19.99/€19.99 - 2.9 GB
  • All Walls Must Fall - Ultimate Games - $9.99/€9.99 - 1.2 GB
    sallyfacerdkq4.jpg
    dungeonnightmares12colvj04.jpg
    missiledancerg4jby.jpg
    shingcrjry.jpg
    allwallsmustfalldcj30.jpg
  • Adverse - Loneminded - $5.99/€5.29 - 1.1 GB
  • Ghostanoid - JoyBits - $6.99/€6.99 - 419 MB
  • Bezier: Second Edition - Thalamus Digital - $19.99/€24.00 - 380 MB
  • Loot Hero DX - Ratalaika Games - $4.99/€4.99 - 161 MB
  • Air Bounce: The Jump 'n' Run Challenge - EpiXR - $5.99/€5.99 - 319 MB
    adverseduk81.jpg
    ghostanoid0dkhc.jpg
    beziersecondeditionm8j6i.jpg
    lootherodx0mjq8.jpg
    airbounce-thejumpnrun54jwz.jpg
  • Dadish 2 - Thomas K Young - $9.99/€9.00 - 62 MB
  • Block Hole - Konami/Hamster Co. - $7.99/€6.99
  • Grisaia Phantom Trigger Vol.5.5 - Prototype - €$14.99/14.99 - 2.0 GB
  • Her Love in the Force - Voltage - $24.99/€24.99 - 1.5 GB
  • Ephemeral: Fantasy on Dark - HuneX - $37.99/€31.99 - 1.2 GB
    dadish28xjy0.jpg
    arcadearchivesblockhocvkv8.jpg
    grisaiaphantomtriggerkxjxh.jpg
    herloveintheforce4wk2u.jpg
    ephemeral-fantasyondan7jdg.jpg
  • Cattch - ChiliDog Interactive - $6.99/€7.00 - 417 MB
  • Bouncing Hero - Turtle Cream - $4.99/€3.99 - 58 MB
  • Jiffy - Lone Wolf Technology - $2.00/€2.00 - 42 MB
  • Balancelot - Ratalaika Games - $7.99/€7.99 - 171 MB
  • Timothy and the Mysterious Forest - QubicGames - $7.99/€7.99 - 144 MB
    cattch41jlz.jpg
    bouncingheroybj7j.jpg
    jiffyc7k7i.jpg
    balancelotz0kus.jpg
    timothyandthemysterioa9kce.jpg
  • Colorful Colore - Drageus Games - $2.99/€2.99 - 48 MB
  • Battle for Blood - YFC Games - $3.99 - 141 MB
    colorfulcolorej1j3q.jpg
    battleforblood91jld.jpg

- Cloud

• Hitman 3: Cloud Version - $59.99/€59.99 - 66 MB
    hitman3-cloudversionndj3p.jpg

- Japan

• G-Mode Archives 28: Sepas Channel - Mobile - G-Mode - ¥500
  • Lily: Shiroki Yuri no Otome-tachi S - Mediascape - ¥1,500
    g-modearchives28sepasnpjyb.jpg
    lilyshirokiyurinootomuqjxj.jpg

- Late Releases

• Nosferatu Lilinor - neon - $17.14 - 222 MB *NA*

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
PO Cyber Shadow, bought Scott Pilgrim and Wonderful 101 but haven't played it, haven't finished Touhou, The messenger, and more.

What's wrong with me?

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The nintendo website for that game is literally next to this one and has been for a while now. Looking into the game, this might be it... Thank you for the suggestion!

It's funny because if I hadn't started back up playing it again the other day I might have forgotten it. Based on what I was able to glean from your post I think we have pretty similar tastes, so I hope it ends up being something you like. Once I figured out what I was supposed to do to properly grow the rice everything just clicked in such a satisfying way and I've been playing pretty much nonstop.

This is also a great suggestion as long as you're in it for the longhaul and don't mind a lot (A LOT a lot) of dialogue. DQB2 ended up being my second favorite game of 2019, and that's saying a lot considering how many games came out last year, and frankly I think I like it more than Animal Crossing (also not something I say lightly).

Jumped on Octahedron and Panzer Dragoon Remake at those prices.

Still eagerly waiting for Capcom to reveal more details/prices about Capcom Arcade Stadium, especially Pack 3.

I had never heard of Octahedron until I read this post, and holy crap this is a really satisfying platformer with a great aesthetic. The sale price is a steal.

digreyfox

Nov 7, 2017
It's funny because if I hadn't started back up playing it again the other day I might have forgotten it. Based on what I was able to glean from your post I think we have pretty similar tastes, so I hope it ends up being something you like. Once I figured out what I was supposed to do to properly grow the rice everything just clicked in such a satisfying way and I've been playing pretty much nonstop.

This is also a great suggestion as long as you're in it for the longhaul and don't mind a lot (A LOT a lot) of dialogue. DQB2 ended up being my second favorite game of 2019, and that's saying a lot considering how many games came out last year, and frankly I think I like it more than Animal Crossing (also not something I say lightly).

I had never heard of Octahedron until I read this post, and holy crap this is a really satisfying platformer with a great aesthetic. The sale price is a steal.

Soo... I ended up getting vouchers, pre ordering Mario 3d world and finally getting Pokemon Sword.

Nevertheless ! Sakuna is now on my wish list. The main deterrent was the price which, at the risk of being tremendously unfair to the game, seems a bit steep for a quirky shot in the dark. Will watch for sale.

I own Dragon Quest Builders 2 ! Was very excited to play it when it came out but fizzled out after 20 hours or so... maybe I need to get back to it.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just played through Panzer Dragoon for the first time. I enjoyed it for the hour of content that it offers. Definitely wouldn't have bought it at full price, but for $6 — it's well worth it. I just wish it didn't take up 9 gigs of storage when the game is so damn short.

But damn, I love the soundtrack. "Flight" is a masterpiece. Love the synth version too.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Just played through Panzer Dragoon for the first time. I enjoyed it for the hour of content that it offers. Definitely wouldn't have bought it at full price, but for $6 — it's well worth it. I just wish it didn't take up 9 gigs of storage when the game is so damn short.

But damn, I love the soundtrack. "Flight" is a masterpiece. Love the synth version too.

I grabbed it too, I have Zwei for my Saturn and Orta as well... not that my thumb has allowed me to get very far

jariw

Oct 27, 2017

Pode comes to mind. You work co-op to solve the puzzle levels, and there is no time pressure. Minimal platforming, it's mostly about solving the puzzles. Look at some gameplay videos to see if it seems to be what you're looking for.

Also, the Picross games support filling in the squares as co-op.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Tempted by that FFX/X-2 physical sale... not that I need another FF on my backlog but is that one of the good ones?

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Part Time UFO
Good Job
The Stretchers
Pikuniku
You should absolutely try Box Boy + Box Girl. It's literally what you just described, it requires very little dexterity if at all and it is incredibly fun.

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
So I finally got a chance to play Murder by Numbers and it turns out this is a picross game, which I had never played before. After doing the tutorial, I'm now addicted to picross. Are there any games like Murder by Numbers?

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
So I finally got a chance to play Murder by Numbers and it turns out this is a picross game, which I had never played before. After doing the tutorial, I'm now addicted to picross. Are there any games like Murder by Numbers?
There's tons of picross games, but Murder by Numbers is pretty unique in tying an Ace Attorney-style narrative to it. So unless you want straight puzzles, you'll have to wait for more.

But the Picross games by Jupiter are all quality.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
There are 5 picross games by Jupiter, the king of the genre. They are picross S1-S5. They don't have the story elements, but there are lots of puzzles. Others might be able to give more info on story focused picross games as I only have the S series of games. But if you like strictly puzzles, you can't go wrong with the S series.

Oct 27, 2017
Probably not the place to ask, but just noticed that my Switch Pro controller's charging led indicator comes on every now and then after supposedly being fully charged. Is that normal? Honestly I've never paid attention to it before.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I think Octahedron is a little bit too frustrating for me in my, I don't have any patience anymore old age. The presentation and music are superb, though.

Dec 2, 2019

You may like Pixel Puzzle Makeout League. It's a dating sim/VN with a lot of (good) picross in it. I 100%ed it and had a lot of fun.
Also, prepare for hundreds of hours of play time when you go through Picross S1-S5.
I think Octahedron is a little bit too frustrating for me in my, I don't have any patience anymore old age. The presentation and music are superb, though.
The music is from Chipzel, of course it is.

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017

Picross RPG/Adventure: Piczle Cross Adventure and PictoQuest
Picross dating sim: Pixel Puzzle Makeout League
3D Picross: Voxelgram

Status
Not open for further replies.