• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is your most anticipated indie of 2021?

• Sports Story

Votes: 65 14.6%
  • Axiom Verge 2

Votes: 62 14.0%
  • Baldo

Votes: 12 2.7%
  • Eastward

Votes: 36 8.1%
  • Mineko's Night Market

Votes: 16 3.6%
  • Hollow Knight: Silksong

Votes: 225 50.7%
  • Other (Post about it)

Votes: 28 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Ok done with the sale... and what the heck I already spent one of my 2 Walmart gift cards worth of credit XD. Got all 3 Konami collections, box boy girl, Mugsters, red skies and Grandia HD collection(went with this over Valkyria chronicles 4). Plus Scott Pilgrim the other day. Now to save the rest for the next Nintendo surprise. Or hopefully HWAOC dlc

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Yeah no. I've been looking for that game ever since Def Jam : FFNY which i hope you have played ? It was the latest game from the same dev as No Mercy and felt largely similar. After that, everything was a disappointment and i don't expect to ever see something that plays this great in my lifetime sadly :(
Never played it. Is there an easy way without resorting to old hardware?

BourbonJungle

Nov 1, 2017
I just have a PlayStation TV, GameCube is in storage while I'm overseas. Not sure if it'll work on PSTV though.

It probably should, meant to mention Playstation TV as a likely option. I never had a PSP but got it to work on Vita (despite owning the Gamecube copy).

I haven't given Wrestle Empire much time, but it seemed like a lot of stupid fun.

Fire Pro Wrestling World has been my No Mercy substitute.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a thread with eShop recommendations by genre? Kind of like the recommended games listed in the OP but not just for Jan.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Is there a thread with eShop recommendations by genre? Kind of like the recommended games listed in the OP but not just for Jan.
the OP has links to every past eShop thread which has these. just click through them and you even get them sorted chronologically

otherwise no such thread exists. it also sounds like a nightmare to maintain since it would mean a thread for "every good game out right now"

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Yeah, monster hunter really isn't for me. Like at all. Few games make me this disinterested in their gameplay in such a short time. Maybe it's an acquired taste but i just don't see me ever liking this.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, monster hunter really isn't for me. Like at all. Few games make me this disinterested in their gameplay in such a short time. Maybe it's an acquired taste but i just don't see me ever liking this.
From memory, I played Monster Hunter Tri (Wii) for at least 20 hours before it pulled me in. There were times where I questioned why I was playing it. The slow start and learning curves can be daunting. It I s about the slow grind and learning the environments, systems, monsters, and more. It is definitely an acquired taste that isn't for everyone. If you eventually do get into it, it may hook your interest completely. The games are massive, deep, and rewarding.

Saicho

Oct 27, 2017
I tried the Rise demo and finished tutorials and beginner mission. Then I deleted the demo cause I don't think I have the dexterity to be good at the game.

I also tried Bravely Default 2 demo for about an hour or so. It's a bit odd to skip prologue and starts with a party of 4, but I kind of like the game. I don't want more story to be spoiled since the save doesn't carry over to the main game so I deleted it as well.

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I agree if there was ever a franchise that I wanted to enjoy so bad, but hated to play it would be the Monster Hunter Series

Apr 24, 2018
I'm sitting on some e-shop credit and I can't believe how quickly I'm going to blow through it. I may finally bite on Super Mario Maker 2 and will also grab Clubhouse Games.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
I tried the Rise demo and finished tutorials and beginner mission. Then I deleted the demo cause I don't think I have the dexterity to be good at the game.
While the game may indeed possibly not be for you, MH demos are unfortunately never, ever a good indication of that.

As to dexterity, I am probably the worst person at any kind of fighting games (so I just don't play them), and whenever there is any kind of fighting in a game I play, I play it on easy mode, but MH (the game, not the demo) eases you into the fighting part and at some point it simply clicks, regardless of dexterity. I stumbled my way through over 600 hours of MH3U...

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Count me in the team of those with a visceral dislike of Monster hunter. What a shame, capcom seem to have outdone themselves for this one.

On another note, I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying The Final Station. The gameplay isn't particularly deep or even good, but the short levels, the atmosphere and the story push me to continue. I bought it for 1 euros I think. Good stuff really.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Monster Hunter is pretty much my favourite series, but it did take multiple attempts for it to click with me. I remember playing it on PS2 and bouncing off it hard, and then dabbling with it on PSP, before MHTri on Wii really grabbed me with the online play meaning there weren't any barriers any more. If you run into something you can't handle, it's easy to find a team to show you how online over several attempts, you keep moving forwards and keep amassing resources to build better kit with. By the time you come back to it in the SP campaign it's a cakewalk.

Plainsong

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
I enjoyed MHW for a good while but burnt out eventually. Tried the Rise demo and yeah it's more of the same. Fun I guess but I'm just not into that kind of grind anymore.

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Coming this week

- eShop Originals

• 18 - Dadish 2 - Thomas K Young - €9.00 - 62 MB
  • 18 - Dungeon Nightmares 1 + 2 Collection - K Monkey - €13.99 - 1.4 GB
  • 18 - Spinny's Journey - Thunder Sparrow - $14.99/€11.99 - 418 MB
  • 18 - Danger Gazers - Ultimate Games - €8.99 - 367 MB
    --
  • 19 - War Truck Simulator - Ultimate Games - $7.99/€7.99 - 1.6 GB
    --
  • 20 - All Walls Must Fall - Ultimate Games - $9.99/€9.99 - 1.2 GB
    --
  • 21 - Missile Dancer - Dico - $9.99/€9.99 - 53 MB
  • 21 - Unspottable - GrosChevaux - $11.99/€11.99 - 636 MB
  • 21 - Shing! - Mass Creation - $19.99/€19.99 - 2.9 GB
  • 21 - Jiffy - Lone WOlf Technology - $2.00/€2.00 - 42 MB
  • 21 - Sally Face - Portable Moose - $14.99/€12.99 - 1.6 GB
  • 21 - Bouncing Hero - Turtle Cream - $4.99/€3.99 - 58 MB
  • 21 - Ghostanoid - JoyBits - $6.99/€6.99 - 419 MB
  • 21 - Bezier: Second Edition - Thalamus Digital - $19.99/€24.00 - 380 MB
  • 21 - Air Bounce: The Jump 'n' Run Challenge - EpiXR - €5.99 - 319 MB
  • 21 - Grisaia Phantom Trigger Vol.5.5 - Prototype - €$14.99/14.99 - 2.0 GB
  • 21 - Ephemeral: Fantasy on Dark - HuneX - $37.99/€31.99 - 1.2 GB
  • 21 - The Game is ON - Bigosaur - $4.99/€4.99 - 111 MB
    --
  • 22 - Redout: Space Assault - 34BigThings
  • 22 - Adverse - Loneminded - $5.99/€5.29 - 1.1 GB
  • 22 - Dark Sauce - Victory Road - €4.99 - 164 MB
  • 22 - Gradiently - Hook Games - €4.99 - 131 MB
  • 22 - Balancelot - Ratalaika Games - €7.99 - 171 MB
  • 22 - Cattch - ChiliDog Interactive - $6.99/€7.00 - 417 MB
  • 22 - Abyss: The Wraiths of Eden - Artifex Mundi - $14.99/€14.99 - 526 MB
  • 22 - Colorful Colore - Drageus Games - $2.99/€2.99 - 48 MB
    --
  • 23 - The Unexpected Quest - OverGamez - $15.00/€14.99 - 484 MB
  • 23 - Legend of Numbers - YFC Games - $2.99/€2.99 - 317 MB

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Because I've been yearning for more Matsuno in my life, I downloaded Crimson Shroud on the 3ds from 2012 and am playing through it for the first time. On top of the tabletop recreation, I'm really enjoying how the game is basically everything unique about a Matsuno game distilled down into a tiny package.

There's interesting world-building, distinctive characters, lots of RPG mechanics, and good music. Even the graphics remind me of a slightly upgraded Vagrant Story.

I can't believe I never played this game back in 2012.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Bandai Namco sale in EU again, at least some stuff for now. Fatal Bullet 75% off is a new low I think (not sure)

Dec 2, 2019
Slime-san is 75% off in EU until mid February (3€)

This is one of my favorite eShop games so far, I loved it so much.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Any good recommendation for casual offline multiplayer (2) games that can be played in handheld mode?
I remember the switch being advertised a lot for that in its early days but can't remember many games using that feature besides 1-2 switch and SnipperClips?

Last edited:

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Any good recommendation for casual offline multiplayer (2) games that can be played in handheld mode?
I remember the switch being advertised a lot for that in its early days but can't remember many games using that feature besides 1-2 switch and SnipperClips?
hmm?? there's a million of them. throw things like "switch multiplayer/co-op/etc" into the search here and you'll find a bunch of threads with recommendations along those lines

Jul 18, 2020
Friends I own the Wii U Captain Todd, should I pick up the Switch version with the DLC? Loved the original when it came out.

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
NoA's game list has the shell of a release for Republique (Feb 25). I remember hearing so much about that game when the producer was doing the podcast rounds in 2012 or thereabouts.

Jul 18, 2020
do you want to replay it and have use for 2 player co-op? don't buy a whole new version for just the small extra chapter.

I want to replay it and I was hoping the extra stuff (Odyssey level and the DLC) was enough to give me an extra push. Deep down in my heart I know I'd be getting bamboozled and that the additional content is very short.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I want to replay it and I was hoping the extra stuff (Odyssey level and the DLC) was enough to give me an extra push. Deep down in my heart I know I'd be getting bamboozled and that the additional content is very short.
The extra Odyssey levels are fun but there are 4 of them and it's not worth it. DLC is a better proposition but it's not enough to buy the game again.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Because I've been yearning for more Matsuno in my life, I downloaded Crimson Shroud on the 3ds from 2012 and am playing through it for the first time. On top of the tabletop recreation, I'm really enjoying how the game is basically everything unique about a Matsuno game distilled down into a tiny package.

There's interesting world-building, distinctive characters, lots of RPG mechanics, and good music. Even the graphics remind me of a slightly upgraded Vagrant Story.

I can't believe I never played this game back in 2012.
Following up from my previous comment, what is the most Matsuno-like game on the Switch?

Of course, I have played and loved FF12. I'm really itching for a Matsuno-like game. I see the essential qualities as:
-Really deep world-building, where your adventure takes place in a larger context with history
-Good RPG mechanics
-Fantasy setting of some sort
-Really good writing/dialogue

Any recommendations?

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
Following up from my previous comment, what is the most Matsuno-like game on the Switch?

Of course, I have played and loved FF12. I'm really itching for a Matsuno-like game. I see the essential qualities as:
-Really deep world-building, where your adventure takes place in a larger context with history
-Good RPG mechanics
-Fantasy setting of some sort
-Really good writing/dialogue

Any recommendations?

I was gonna suggest Xenoblade Chronicles but then realized it really doesn't necessarily fit your criteria lol.

Still, play it if you haven't, it's the most FFXIIey game gameplay wise without being FFXII outright, and it's probably even better overall so...

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, so if I'm reading that right, that's four levels + a boss in the demo for Balan Wonderworld? That seems like a decent amount of content. That game's been on my radar, but in that "I'll probably nab it for like $30" way, especially with how much other stuff is coming out around the same time.

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Can any tell me when the eShop new year sale ends? I'm probably going to snag paradise killer but have a few physical games to collect gold coins from before I order.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
The Banner Saga trilogy comes to mind. Amazing story, world and characters, with a somber setting and beautiful artstyle (though not exactly Matsuno like). Beautiful OST too.

RPG mechanics are on the simpler side, but still satisfying enough. I've enjoyed the gameplay a good deal.

There's also Fell Seal, which is basically FFT-2 in terms of gameplay. Not so much in terms of story and artstyle though, but the story, world and writing are still pretty decent.

Matsuno is pretty unique. Finding something similar to his works is not an easy task.

Status
Not open for further replies.