• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Mixed reviews on Steam but probably a fun enough game for some handheld action. Put it on my buy list as I expect that price to drop pretty quick. Thanks!

Oh damn those look great. Thanks!! And somehow I have Phantom Doctrine already on Steam but never played it.
Play the PC version if you have the choice. Unless you have the taste for the macabre, then the Switch port may be for you. It's hideous and performs not great but I still put 40 good hours into it.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I did beat it and I hated every minute of it.

Like someone let a kid with Mario Maker do the final level.
My mistake, for some reason I thought you stopped playing at the Lair. Aww, sorry you didn't care for it then. ;___;

How about Ori, have you played that? I love it and recently finished a replay, and can't recall reading impressions of it from you.

-
Thanks for sharing your review bradigor, I really enjoyed reading it. Definitely got me a lot more interested in the game.

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My mistake, for some reason I thought you stopped playing at the Lair. Aww, sorry you didn't care for it then. ;___;

How about Ori, have you played that? I love it and recently finished a replay, and can't recall reading impressions of it from you.

I tried the demo but I wasn't really feeling it. I'll probably give it another go someday though, since it has such acclaim.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I tried the demo but I wasn't really feeling it. I'll probably give it another go someday though, since it has such acclaim.
I hope you dig it if you do. Its focus is platforming and traversal rather than combat so it may help going in with that in mind, based on some impressions I've seen in here.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody in here using an 8BitDo Dongle and an XB1 controller to play their Switch docked?

I've been playing Dead Cells with that setup this week and while the game works fine overall, I am not getting any kind of rumble... According to the 8BitDo website the dongle does support rumble with the XB1 controller... The option is turned on in the game and I have rumble when playing with the joycons...

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I'm going through cuphead right now. I like it, but I don't see the masterpiece that everyone sees. Indeed, the game is incredibly well done; the visuals, the music the animations, the general atmosphere. Absolutely amazing.
The gameplay however has many shortcomings which, for a boss rush, are problematic in my opinion. Ultimately, it boils down to the fact that I'm not getting better at the game; I'm just getting better at beating a specific boss. I feel no sense of progression.
In comparison, when I was playing Furi (one of my favorite games in 2018), I genuinely felt that my skills as a player were improving, so much that I actually trounced the final few bosses and the dlc despite struggling for the first bosses. I don't feel that with cuphead.
My other issue with the game is the complete lack of feedback from my actions. It often feels that I just need to survive for a certain duration by executing a choreography while maintaining the shooting button, but I never feel that I'm "fighting" the boss.

So, I'm disappointed. I'm still having fun with it, but not as much as I hoped. I'm happy that I only spent 10 euros for it.

Ulbrick

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Nottingham, England
I bought Touryst and it's... Alright, but it isn't gripping me yet - I'm on the... Fourth? Island.

Any idea as to when I'll get into it? It feels like there isn't much left of the game.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
I'm going through cuphead right now. I like it, but I don't see the masterpiece that everyone sees. Indeed, the game is incredibly well done; the visuals, the music the animations, the general atmosphere. Absolutely amazing.
The gameplay however has many shortcomings which, for a boss rush, are problematic in my opinion. Ultimately, it boils down to the fact that I'm not getting better at the game; I'm just getting better at beating a specific boss. I feel no sense of progression.
In comparison, when I was playing Furi (one of my favorite games in 2018), I genuinely felt that my skills as a player were improving, so much that I actually trounced the final few bosses and the dlc despite struggling for the first bosses. I don't feel that with cuphead.
My other issue with the game is the complete lack of feedback from my actions. It often feels that I just need to survive for a certain duration by executing a choreography while maintaining the shooting button, but I never feel that I'm "fighting" the boss.

So, I'm disappointed. I'm still having fun with it, but not as much as I hoped. I'm happy that I only spent 10 euros for it.
Realy? I feel the sense of progression is very much present. Admitedly, when you beat a boss it's almost like you are back to square 1 since it's a new boss, but the feeling of getting better at a specific boss with each try is great. Every time I die I feel I'm a step closer to defeating it.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Can anyone comment on the Divinity OS2 port? I've heard it's good quality, so what I'm mostly curious about is how well it plays with a controller. Would I end up preferring I had a mouse to point and click with?

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm an idiot who bought Kentucky Route Zero as soon as it came out instead of just knowing that I would impulse buy it anyway and preloading it to save a few bucks.

But I'm really excited to play Kentucky Route Zero knowing next to nothing other than it's magic realism.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Just a heads-up, Real Drift Racing is free for a few days if you own any of these:

sFC8AiT.jpg

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Played through the first two stages of Katana Zero. Very impressed so far! The combat is elegant and satisfying while the story has me hooked.

Manzoli

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I bought Touryst and it's... Alright, but it isn't gripping me yet - I'm on the... Fourth? Island.

Any idea as to when I'll get into it? It feels like there isn't much left of the game.

The game is very short and simple. The activities you can do are varied but they're always simple things.

I quite liked it, but it is a game, in my opinion, to help you chill out.

If you're not feeling it by now maybe you won't like it? And that's fine by the way.

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
Can anyone comment on the Divinity OS2 port? I've heard it's good quality, so what I'm mostly curious about is how well it plays with a controller. Would I end up preferring I had a mouse to point and click with?

It works great, I played the first one on PC and it is clear that they really put a lot of thought into the controller scheme, everything feels very snappy and you can use L and R for precision aiming. The port in terms of performance and fidelity is excellent, albeit I play exclusively in handheld mode.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Realy? I feel the sense of progression is very much present. Admitedly, when you beat a boss it's almost like you are back to square 1 since it's a new boss, but the feeling of getting better at a specific boss with each try is great. Every time I die I feel I'm a step closer to defeating it.
Yes, I'm getting better at beating a specific boss. When playing Furi, I was getting better at playing Furi. Anyway, I'm clearly in the minority since the game is universally praised.

Ulbrick

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Nottingham, England
The game is very short and simple. The activities you can do are varied but they're always simple things.

I quite liked it, but it is a game, in my opinion, to help you chill out.

If you're not feeling it by now maybe you won't like it? And that's fine by the way.

Badtimes, maybe it's because I've just come from Dead Cells but I'll leave it a few days and try again - that surf mini game was tough though lol.

DKoops

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Japanese downloads for January 30

- Kentucky Route Zero: TV Edition (2749 yen)
- Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales (2199 yen)
- Prison Princess (1980 yen)
- Touhou Gensou Mahjong (3850 yen)
- Reventure (600 yen)
- Coffee Talk (1600 yen)
- Valthirian Arc Hero School Story (1500 yen)
- IxSHE Tell (6050 yen)
- Code Shifter (2000 yen)
- UORiS DX (990 yen)
- Genso Manege (6600 yen)
- Koi no Hanasaku Hyakkaen (7480 yen)
- Greco's Hall of Kanji Learn Japanese (1000 yen)
- Bookbound Brigade (2200 yen)
- Boku to Joi no Shinsatsu Nisshi (1980 yen)
- Arcade Archives Tecmo Bowl (838 yen)
- American Fugitive (2000 yen)
- No Thing (200 yen)

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Now like 70ish hours into Cities Skylines with a city with population of 120k. Currently, redoing lot of my districts, making it look nicer/work better. Game still holds up well. Such a fun game.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I suspect it's more to do with poor sales, to be honest.
Maybe, but having played it a lot, I can see it struggle a lot (but still plays fine and is acceptable). so I can 100% believe them when they say it's at least cause game is too heavy on performance.

Of course, did take me till there was a 70% off sale to get it. and that was literally a month ago. So, could be low sales too.

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I know it's been out for a few months now, but enjoying the Puzzle Quest game again. Just as good as years ago. Plus it's apparently on sale this week. I probably prefer Gems of War overall, and it's one of the few free to play games I spend time with(and a bit of money on). I hate to admit I am over level 1,000 in Gems of War. I get embarrassed when I see how many hours played it shows on my profile page. Lol.

Really love the recent Tiny Metal game as well. Prefer it over Wargroove(which is also good)