• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
What's the deal with puzzle bobble having always this level 4 sign on every level?
That's the difficulty the game is being emulated at (I think 4 is the default for pretty much all of them, and it goes up to 7); if it's like other ACA games you can change it in the pause menu settings and I think you can also set it to not be displayed all the time.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
That's the difficulty the game is being emulated at (I think 4 is the default for pretty much all of them, and it goes up to 7); if it's like other ACA games you can change it in the pause menu settings and I think you can also set it to not be displayed all the time.
Ah , thanks! I guess the level only controls the time you have available to shoot but level design stays the same, right?

Factory 1.21

Oct 29, 2017
Colorado, USA
Fishing World Tour looks neat...but not £23 neat.

Standing by for your impressions when it's out!

I was wondering what I paid for Fishing Resort so I searched my gmail account and up popped all my Amazon e-mail for the order in 2011. I'm surprised it was only $19.99 on release day. But those were 2011 dollars (LOL).

If this game is as good as Fishing Resort it will be worth £23 (or $30 on the Yank eShop). Roll on Wednesday.

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
Hell Yeah Bomb Jack!

I used to play that all the time when we used to hang out as a kid ,at a place we ordered or french fries.

A dream come true. This will teleport me to the 80's.

The Switch is slowly become a portable arcademachine and I love it for that!

For Dutch Resetera. The Flip Grip is available at retroshop pressstartgames. A bit more expensive but you won't have to wait for weeks 😉

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Completed Steamworld Dig 1 in 8 hours. The game is simplistic but very fun and addictive to play. I can see that Image and Form can further expand the lore and world-building in a sequel when they have already tried to convey the apocalyptic world through environmental story-telling in Dig 1. I was also very surprised by finding THAT easter egg. Amazing.

From what I saw in the launch trailer of Dig 2, it is apparent that the sequel is vastly varied (or superior, so I heard) than 1. Going to wait for both Dig 2 and Heist to go on sale. In the meantime, I will return to Xenoblade 2 NG+ and most likely start playing Valkyria Chronicles 1.

Oct 25, 2017
Expectations play hugely into it I think. For example I went into Blossom Tales blind and loved it, it's short but charming and one of the top indie ALTTP clones imo.

On the other hand I played Owl Boy expecting a top tier metroidvania and came away super disappointed. Probably doesn't help that it was shortly after I'd completed Hollow Knight either.

I came into Owl Boy as soon as it hit Switch and found it pretty lack luster. It looked beautiful, but the actual game left a lot to be desired.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
So I've been playing a 50 cent game for the last 3 days and it's so simplistic yet so addicting. Jumping Joe and Friends is a fun little vertical jumper in the same vein as temple run or endless runner game. It has some cool gimmicks but I recommend it.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
nitro-ball-nintendo-switch-20180810-800x445.jpg
Anyone here bought NITRO BALL?

How the hell do you play a 3 players game?!

•WTF at not allowing controls customization and putting "SMARTBOMB" on B and SHOOT on A!

•On the controls' options it says clicking L3 or R3 is for "joycon customization" but nothing happens? How does it work and... what the F is that?

my 2cents on TATE/non-TATE:
Grabbed it to enjoy it with the FLIP GRIP and hopefully tonight I will (and honestly this is probably the first time I would advise against buying the game if you plan to play it in portable mode/landscape: there's no option to fit the screen or even enlarge it a bit to 4:3 which I normally would despise but in this case the screen is far too busy to be played on the tiny screen estate that's left when playing a 3:4 ratio game in landscape mode. At least that's how I felt after a couple of games.

EDIT:

WHAT IN THE FUCK?!?!!
The TATE option only rotates the screen one way and it's the wrong way?!! So you can't use it with the flip grip with it!
Money down the drain and even worse a cool arcade game I won't be able to enjoy...
Considering all the other missing features and an higher pricepoint than the average of similar releases, are we allowed to call them out for being lazy cheapskates?

How to kill one of the main hooks of Arcade games: HIGHSCORE SYSTEM:

Does the score seriously not even add a +1 for each time you continue as the score's last digit? You can basically continue ad infinitum and raise your score with no penalty? Lack of online leaderboards for Johnny Turbo's Arcade series sucks ass as it is, especially since they cost more than ACAs and are barebones releases with mandatory blurriness, but this way you can cheese the scores and can't even have a score competion grabbing screenshots.

Game is legit. Smash TV meets Pinball.
And that pisses me off even more.
I'm glad these exist, but what a trainwreck JTA's releases are...

Last edited:

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
So I've been playing a 50 cent game for the last 3 days and it's so simplistic yet so addicting. Jumping Joe and Friends is a fun little vertical jumper in the same vein as temple run or endless runner game. It has some cool gimmicks but I recommend it.

I second this. Quality little game. Addicting and polished with simple controls that anyone can grasp within seconds of playing. Single-player and 4-player modes. One of the best <$2 games you can buy on the Switch eShop, up there with No Thing. At only $0.50 it's a no-brainer purchase.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Well Mecho Wars: Desert Ashes is already half-off not even three weeks after release if ya'll want a weird-looking budget Advance Wars and can't wait a few more days for Wargroove. Honestly this just seems like a last-ditch effort to sell as many copies as possible before Wargroove arrives. lol

I give it another month before it joins its Mecho Tales and Plague Road brethren in the inevitable regularly scheduled $1 sale rotation, so I'd wait a bit on grabbing it if you want to save a few more bucks.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Ran through both Gunman Clive games today (hard mode and bonus modes). Loved them, you can feel a lot of Mega Man in design with the games, graphically I absolutely love the style they use, and its just a blast to play (especially the boss fights). Definitely worth the low price I paid for it. Now time to finally get to The Messenger.

Deleted member 33571

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Finished Pikuniku today. Good game! A lot of the puzzles are pretty good and the platforming is quite fun, although I wish there was a bit more of it (worth noting that there are at least a few secrets I haven't run into, so there may be some more). I'd say it's definitely worth the price, especially if the humor works for you. I probably will go back in at some point and try to find some of the stuff I missed, there was one very mysterious sidequest in particular that seemed promising.

Wombat_Lover

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 20, 2019
Waiting for Stick of Truth to go on sale. It's been on sale once, but at that time my switch was getting repaired at Nintendo. Not gonna spend $60 on this game.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Well Mecho Wars: Desert Ashes is already half-off not even three weeks after release if ya'll want a weird-looking budget Advance Wars and can't wait a few more days for Wargroove. Honestly this just seems like a last-ditch effort to sell as many copies as possible before Wargroove arrives. lol

I give it another month before it joins its Mecho Tales and Plague Road brethren in the inevitable regularly scheduled $1 sale rotation, so I'd wait a bit on grabbing it if you want to save a few more bucks.

Man, I actually downloaded Mecho Tales and Plague Road when they were $1 cause why the hell not at that price and I still wish I saved those $2. They were so SO bad.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Man, I actually downloaded Mecho Tales and Plague Road when they were $1 cause why the hell not at that price and I still wish I saved those $2. They were so SO bad.

Yep, I played Plague Road for an hour at most before I deleted it, but at least I saw Mecho Tales through to the end despite its mediocrity. Mecho Wars looks like the better game of the three, but I'll see for myself when I inevitably buy it for a buck like the sucker I am. lol

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
So I just bought and "finished" Gris. It was short but no complain on that side, I knew of before buying that "thing". I say thing, because I certainly cannot classify it as a game. And that "thing" literally smells its own farts for the 3 hours it lasts. The epitomy of style over substance, and probably the worst 16 euros I spent on the eshop. I wonder if my left joycon isn't gonna have some drift issues from being constantly pushed in one direction.
I finished the thing so I'm not gonna ask for a refund, but I'll be sure to never recommend it to anyone, there's more gameplay in picking my nose than in Gris.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
So I just bought and "finished" Gris. It was short but no complain on that side, I knew of before buying that "thing". I say thing, because I certainly cannot classify it as a game. And that "thing" literally smells its own farts for the 3 hours it lasts. The epitomy of style over substance, and probably the worst 16 euros I spent on the eshop. I wonder if my left joycon isn't gonna have some drift issues from being constantly pushed in one direction.
I finished the thing so I'm not gonna ask for a refund, but I'll be sure to never recommend it to anyone, there's more gameplay in picking my nose than in Gris.
InfatuatedNeighboringEthiopianwolf-small.gif

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017

Coming from What Remains of Edith Finch, I found more gameplay than I expected on GRIS. You're totally right, but I loved both. Even if the first is an interactive novel and the second is a puzzle painting. After +70 hours with Smash, I like to change with some little titles like these.

JPS

Oct 27, 2017
Bad games don't get better even if they are free and there are so many games to play and not enough time to even care about average games. Buying games like that for $1 may not hurt your wallet, but will bring even more trash to the eShop.

Nintendo should not allow games to go on sale all the time. Also those 10% sales should not be allowed for older games - only for preorders.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
So Dragon Marked For Death has two versions, each with their exclusive characters? So which version should I get. Is one easier than the other?

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So Dragon Marked For Death has two versions, each with their exclusive characters? So which version should I get. Is one easier than the other?

Pick which ever has the more appealing characters.

The front line fighters are the more basics and the other more technical

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Completed Steamworld Dig 1 in 8 hours. The game is simplistic but very fun and addictive to play. I can see that Image and Form can further expand the lore and world-building in a sequel when they have already tried to convey the apocalyptic world through environmental story-telling in Dig 1. I was also very surprised by finding THAT easter egg. Amazing.

From what I saw in the launch trailer of Dig 2, it is apparent that the sequel is vastly varied (or superior, so I heard) than 1. Going to wait for both Dig 2 and Heist to go on sale. In the meantime, I will return to Xenoblade 2 NG+ and most likely start playing Valkyria Chronicles 1.

While Steamworld Dig is a procedurally generated digging game, Steamworld Dig 2 is a full-blown hand-designed Metroidvania which happens to have digging in it.

What makes Steamworld Dig 2 so great is how clever all of the hand-designed dungeons are. Nothing is procedurally generated, not even the main overworld. And the overworld is much bigger, more varied, with open-ended exploration gated by lots of fun upgrades.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Finally bit on Save Me Mr. Tako at the sale price ($5 vs $15) - only a couple of levels in but the platforming seems fine so far, a little Kirbyish like others have said. I'm playing on Easy because of the horror stories from reviews regarding the game's difficulty. I figure at $5 if I can get a few hours of fun out of it I won't feel too guilty if it starts to get tedious. Anyone else pick it up and have thoughts?

As far as Eshop stuff in general, I'm getting really annoyed with Nintendo's lack of concern with the UI for bigger game collections on Switch. Like, it was fine when I just had a handful of games, but now without folders it's a total mess with stuff that I've completed and archived. Maybe this is silly, but I feel less guilty about buying a bunch of cheap Steam games because of the way they're laid out in a list format, whereas with Switch I look at my home screen and think, "I really shouldn't buy any more games..."

I think I have like 50 icons all considered, which I know will sound ridiculous to some and low to others, but it's just starting to get unmanageable. We need a major home screen update already, at least to tuck away archived games in folders without totally deleting them.

Maybe they'll add them along with themes in an update when the rumored new SKU launches in 2019 (I suspect a portable-focused Switch Mini to accompany Pokemon and Animal Crossing).

Last edited:

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
So the next major Eshop sale will probably be Valentine's Day?

Don't really want to spend any money if that is a little over two weeks away.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
While Steamworld Dig is a procedurally generated digging game, Steamworld Dig 2 is a full-blown hand-designed Metroidvania which happens to have digging in it.

What makes Steamworld Dig 2 so great is how clever all of the hand-designed dungeons are. Nothing is procedurally generated, not even the main overworld. And the overworld is much bigger, more varied, with open-ended exploration gated by lots of fun upgrades.
YES. Music to my ears. Can't wait to play it soon.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Bought the other two Banner Saga games. So much stuff now on the eshop I'd love to have, not enough money.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Got my FlipGrip.

Mainly bought it to play SHMUPS

Doesn't work with Hori D-Pad JoyCon

Duh-doy! *screaming internally*

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Just bought West of Loathing after finally getting around to checking out some reviews. What a fun game! The writing and oddball scenarios really shine.

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Coming this week

• 29 - Mages of Mystralia - Borealys Games - $19.99/€19.99 (Preorder sale: €17.99/$17.99) - 3.2 GB
  • 29 - Unworthy - AK Games - $12.69 - 123 MB
  • 29 - Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy - THQ Nordic - $29.99/€29.99 - 924 MB
    --
  • 30 - Drowning - Sometimes You - $2.99/€2.99 (Preorder sale: $2.54/€2.54) - 509 MB
  • 30 - Fishing Star World Tour - WFS - $29.99/€24.99 - 2.6 GB
  • 30 - Hyperide - Kool2Play - $1.99/€3.99 - 175 MB
    --
  • 31 - Dragon Marked For Death - Inti Creates - Empress/Warrior Pack: $14.99/€14.99, Shinobi/Witch Pack: $14.99/€14.99 - 488 MB
  • 31 - Downwell - Moppin/Devolver Digital - $2.99/€2.99 - 65 MB
  • 31 - Airheart - Tales of Broken Wings - Blindflug Studios - $17.99/€14.99 - 815 MB
  • 31 - Tangledeep - Impact Gameworks - $19.99 - 670 MB
  • 31 - Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander - Smiling Buddha Games - $19.99/€16.99 - 800 MB
  • 31 - Gabbuchi - h.a.n.d. - $7.99/€6.99 (Preorder sale: $3.99/€3.49) - 65 MB
  • 31 - Planetarian - Prototype - $9.99/€9.99 - 664 MB
  • 31 - Robothorium - GoblinzStudio - €14.99
  • 31 - Onigiri - CyberStep
  • 31 - Necrosphere Deluxe - Unties - $7.99/€7.99 - 165 MB
  • 31 - Zombie Night Terror - Plug In Digital - $14.99/€14.99 - 886 MB
  • 31 - Stray Cat Doors - Pulsmo - $2.59/€2.27 - 182 MB
  • 31 - Piczle Colors - Rainy Frog - €12.00 - 323 MB
  • 31 - Merchant of Kaidan - Forever Ent. - $9.99 - 1.7 GB
  • 31 - Agartha-S - mebius. - $7.99 - 255 MB
  • 31 - Bleep Bloop - Zerouno Games - $3.99/€3.99 - 131 MB
  • 31 - Eggggg: The Platform Puker - Hyper Games - $14.99/€14.99 - 410 MB
  • 31 - New Star Manager - FiveAcesPublishing - $19.99/€16.99 - 687 MB
  • 31 - Bombfest - Whitethorn Digital - $19.99/€17.49 - 277 MB
  • 31 - Two Crude Dudes - Arcade - Data East/FTE Games - €7.99 - 69 MB *EU*
    --
  • 01 - Wargroove - Chucklefish - $19.99/€16.99 - 344 MB
  • 01 - Thea: The Awakening - Monster Couch - $17.99/€17.99 (Preorder sale: $16.19/€16.19) - 880 MB
  • 01 - DreamWorks Dragons: Dawn of New Riders - Outright Games - $39.99/€39.99 - 630 MB *02/15 on NA*

Japan
  • 31 - Nelke to Densetsu no Renkinjutsushi Tachi ~Aratana Daichi no Atelier~ - Koei Tecmo - ¥8,424 (Preorder sale: ¥7,581)
  • 31 - Robotics;Notes DaSH - 5pb - ¥7,560
  • 31 - Robotics;Notes Elite - 5pb - ¥6,480
  • 31 - Fate/EXTELLA LINK - Marvelous - ¥8,618 (Preorder sale: ¥7,756)
  • 31 - Moe Chronicle H - Compile Heart - ¥4,000 (Preorder sale: ¥2,800)

Last edited:

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
- Downwell
- Dragon Marked for Death
- Planetarian
- Wargroove
- the two Robotics;Notes
- Moero Chronicle H
Yep, very expensive week. I will buy one or two of them on day 1 and wait for sales for the rest.

Intel_89

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Thanks man, I really appreciate that! I'll look forward to reading that then!

Took me a bit longer than expected to try out Save Me Mr. Tako but I've managed to play it for about two hours and it's been okay so far, just ok. I like the characters and the writing is witty but I'm not really feeling the gameplay. I know this is meant to be a Game Boy game and those, for the most part, were simple games with simple mechanics but I'm still not loving Save Me Mr. Tako in this regard.

I think that my two issues are that throwing ink at enemies only freezes them in place and there's not much point to doing this unless there's a ledge that requires a bit more height for you to get to and how useless the hat gimmick is (at least so far). Basically, Tako is able to get different hats to get new abilities that change the gameplay ever so slightly, it kinda works like Kirby when he gobbles an enemy and steals its ability. The issue here is that if you get hit once you'll lose your hat and the only way to get it back is to either come exit the level and go to the hat shop in one of the hub areas or to make it safely to a checkpoint where you'll be able to get one of any of the hats that you've acquired throughout your adventure (there's been like a single checkpoint per stage so far, if you lose your hat after getting to a checkpoint you're sol).
These two issues could easily be fixed, I think that the gameplay could be a bit more rewarding if whenever you inked an enemy you'd get crystals (which work like coins in a Mario game) and if you'd get to keep your hat even after dying since the stages are extremely short anyway

I've been playing on Normal and although I've died a couple of times I haven't found the game to be too difficult so far, 1-hit deaths can be annoying but it's fine once you get used to it.

Other than that the game looks lovely and sounds authentic, kinda like Alwa's Awakening. Since this is meant to be a Game Boy game there are a couple of colour filters that you can apply that kinda remind me of how you could play old GB games with simple colour palettes on a GB Colour.

Despite my issues with its gameplay, I'm still having a decent time with Save Me Mr. Tako. It's not in the top 5% of the Switch eShop but for its current sale price, I'd say it's worth checking out.

Last edited: