• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, we all have our unique tastes and preferences - certainly nothing wrong with having an opinion that goes against the grain (and thanks for sharing yours!). I certainly have my own views on some games that go wildly against popular consensus XD. I'd been meaning to play Cave Story forever and doubtful that I'd see it at a lower price any time soon so it was basically a blind buy for me, basically just knowing that it's a platform/shooting game.

I'm actually amazed at how much I've enjoyed Cuphead. I beat the entire first world in one sitting of about 90 minutes. I've heard the difficulty spikes up considerably, so I'm bracing myself for the worst, but so far, it's been a sheer joy to play.

Obviously, I love Cuphead. I got all the achivements in the Switch version. Beating it on Expert was super fun!

Now I am playing through it using the NES Classic Switch controllers i got for Christmas. Which basically means only using the Pea shooter and jump, shoot, and Dash only... No items or extra weapons. It's amazingly fun to play on the NES pad!

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
Thanks for the answers on Axiom verge guys. I think I'll hold off for now then and try and get back into Hollow Knight.

Is VA-11 any good? As a Phoenix Wright/Ghost Trick fan it looks like it's up my alley but I thought I'd ask

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the answers on Axiom verge guys. I think I'll hold off for now then and try and get back into Hollow Knight.

Is VA-11 any good? As a Phoenix Wright/Ghost Trick fan it looks like it's up my alley but I thought I'd ask
I heard Va-11 was well liked, but not much gameplay as AA or GT, but great story and characters.

I'm currently playing AI Soninum Files, it is excellent. Also super recommend Steins;gate Elite if you want some top notch visual novels.

Pineapple

One Winged Slayer
Mar 26, 2019
USA
VA-11 is more down to earth than those two, so if you liked the supernatural parts of those games a lot ya might be a little bummed out. However VA-11 has some great music and the dialogue with the characters can change depending on if you gave them the right type of drink or if ya just get them flat out wasted. lol

Personally I made it a mission to try to get most of them as wasted as possible. I enjoy all three games mentioned, but all for different reasons.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I did not expect Tiny Metal to have a cool looking icon. Nice.
9KZH2AY.jpg

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

If you find you are itching for another game in this style then I am sure there will be a big sale before the second game comes out later next year (which is like 25 hours for me...hard to believe already).
Here is the Axiom Verge Retronauts episode if you want to check it out. Goes in good details about the game and what the creator likes and dislikes.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Played Turok 2 for about a hour. Still on the first level, but I can already see I'll have a love/hate relationship with this game.

I love the combat. Like, I'm shocked at how well it does some things compared to even modern games. The animations, blood gloriously splattering on walls, heads exploding, an amazing shotgun, smart AI for the time. It's pure catharsis and I love it. In fact, I'm also playing Wolfenstein 2 and I actually think the combat is more fun in Turok 2.

The visuals are also crazy impressive for the time. Enemies even have shadows. To this day there are developers getting away with blob shadows and here we have a N64 game with "real" shadows.

But I feel like later levels will probably become annoying mazes with corridors almost indistinguishable from each other, and I think I'll hate that. So far the first level isn't too bad, but I have a feeling it's only going to get worse.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Shiit, I missed grabbing a bunch of games I was considering because I thought the sale went until the 2nd, apparently some had different sale end dates for some reason.

Woops.

Oh well.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, King of Cards is really really good. The card game is like a great version of Tetra Master from FFIX. And Kings movement options are really fun.

I think it's about as fun, if not more, than Spectre Knight. There's a ton of content here. I've played Shovel Knight over 150+ hours in the five years they've been with this game, it's truly outstanding.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, King of Cards is really really good. The card game is like a great version of Tetra Master from FFIX. And Kings movement options are really fun.

I think it's about as fun, if not more, than Spectre Knight. There's a ton of content here. I've played Shovel Knight over 150+ hours in the five years they've been with this game, it's truly outstanding.

shouldnt you be saying its crap since its critically acclaimed?

giphy.gif

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Ah, the Bandai sale ended early (relative to the other sales). I better grab DQII and/or III before the sale ends.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cities Skylines for 60% off?

And here I thought I was getting through the rest of the year with no more purchases.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Gonna spend all my coins before day is over so my I can go on with no-buy january as I intended.

Give me your best games that's on sale.

I find joy in most genres but I would prefer if it was co-op so I can play something with the wife.

But I'm all for any hidden or not so hidden e-shop game.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Higurashi?
That was my initial thought, which was why I asked, but didn't realise it was on Switch. Guessing it's still JP only?
Yes, it is Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Hou. As far as I know, it is the most complete version of the game out there. Still JP only. Got the game on launch day and still haven't got around to read it haha. I inserted the cartridge into Switch a few days ago but eventually moved back to Tales of Vesperia.

In case you are not informed, a similar complete edition of Umineko has already been announced for Switch and PS4.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it is Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Hou. As far as I know, it is the most complete version of the game out there. Still JP only. Got the game on launch day and still haven't got around to read it haha. I inserted the cartridge into Switch a few days ago but eventually moved back to Tales of Vesperia.

In case you are not informed, a similar complete edition of Umineko has already been announced for Switch and PS4.
Thanks. Maybe it'll get a translation when (if?) they ever finish translating the PC version!

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
So the Mutant Year Zero port is a little rough?
handheld res is super blocky, docked mode is low-settings PC which is to say the port is fine, could be better. very much playable and the game is great.
www.resetera.com

Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden Deluxe Edition + Seed of Evil Expansion |OT| The Moose is Loose

Developer: The Bearded Ladies Console Ports: High Voltage Software Publisher: Funcom Platforms: Nintendo Switch [new!], PC, Playstation 4, and Xbox One Release Date (Switch, Seed of Evil, and DX Edition Retail): July 30, 2019 | PS4 digital: August 6, 2019 | Japan: November 21, 2019 Original...

Dec 2, 2019

I started playing VA-11 Hall-A yesterday and it's good. Don't expect the same level of interactivity as the two games you mentioned. Here you make drinks with clunky controls and this is it. Most of the time you read conversations between you (the bartender) and customers. In about an hour of play time it didn't let me make dialogue choices, neither. I don't know if you can influence the story in any way, maybe by putting more alcohol in drinks?

Music is nuts. You can charge a jukebox with 12 tracks among a huge selection and listen to them while reading. I'm enjoying the game enough, but it's something different from PW and GT

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. Maybe it'll get a translation when (if?) they ever finish translating the PC version!
You are welcome. Oh, I think they will finish the PC version, but translating this game is really a huge undertaking. I heard it takes Japanese 100+ hours to finish reading the whole game, so... god knows how many time a foreigner needs reading it, let alone translating it.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Hows the switch port of Atelier Ryza? Cant find a physical copy anywhere so I was thinking about buying it since its 10% off.

Deleted member 32135

Banned
Nov 9, 2017

Bought it this sale and was not a fan of it. It's nothing like AA or Ghost Trick, it's a game about reading different stories which bring a background to the universe of the game where you can change a bit of the outcome depending what drinks you serve. I was not too much into these stories because some of them fell flat and uninteresting, so I dropped it after three hours or so.

Double

Nov 1, 2017
Gonna spend all my coins before day is over so my I can go on with no-buy january as I intended.

Give me your best games that's on sale.

I find joy in most genres but I would prefer if it was co-op so I can play something with the wife.

But I'm all for any hidden or not so hidden e-shop game.
Into The Breach.

zothenr

Sep 21, 2018
Looking for Forgotton Anne but only in the American Eshop has a huge sale. I´ll wait for the european eshop

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
If anybody caught me talking about this a little while ago - I was just tidying my boy's disaster bomb of a bedroom and took it upon myself to empty every book in the bookshelf, only to find my Mario + Rabbids case hiding away!

in other news - how can you get more gold in Luigi mansion 3? Need some gold bones for that final boss run!

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Grabbed Luminous XI...err the Gunvolt quasi-sequel thing. But decided to actually play the Gunvolt Collection first. I am only in the first game so far, but its a nifty alternate take on Megaman.

Eschewing direct attacks in favor of a more indirect "auto-attack" with your lightning shield and focusing heavily instead on balancing your battery level is a pretty interesting gimmick. It works pretty well and instead of doing the weakness order with earned weapons, instead you get different abilities and guns that add slight twists on the core "pin target and nuke" mechanic, but without completing negating the balance if abusing proper equipment. At least so far.

Looks quite good, feels good. The levels are its weakest aspect, just very basic and lacking budget the team likely had. Some decent obstacles to clear with a couple hidden collectibles tucked away to discover, but far from the genre best. Possible the sequels improve things here. I do like that the game incentivizes you to replay them taking on new challenges for bonus crafting materials to unlock helpful gear and abilities. Some neat ways to customize your gear and abilities to make the game feel different as you progress.

It feels like the sort of experience Might Number 9 was probably attempting by twisting the core formula and design, but this succeeds. Though some may not like not being able to just shoot down everything with your equipped pistol. Maybe a gun unlocks that lets you just do that though.