• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
So far I've picked up fight'n rage (great), virtua racing (amazing) and Dead cells (in love with it). Probably will end my spree with either Mario + Rabbids or FE3H

Does TF4 have any kind of improvement over the original?
How are you liking mario+rabbids?
TF4 is a port by the Gods, M2. It's a fantastic port with lots of fine tuning available. There's also a new Kids Mode. And new sound options.

With Mario + Rabbids, I had a great time with that game. I went through the entire game when it launched in August/September 2017.

The Donkey Kong expansion pack was a bit expensive as I already paid full price for the base game. And Ubisoft kept on having sales on the base game or base game + expansion pack (known as the Gold version) but no sales on the expansion pack by itself.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Coming this week

• 30 - Jurassic Excite - Big Boys Studio - €5.00 - 359 MB
  • 30 - Battojutsu - Caerux - $4.99 - 286 MB *NA*
  • 02 - Link-a-Pix Deluxe - Lightwood Games - $7.99/€7.99 - 107 MB
  • 03 - Brain Training - Tohoku University/Nintendo - €26.99 - 322 MB *EU*
I got Brain Training pre-loaded. Gonna use my Super Mario Maker 2 stylus I got from the Deluxe pack.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
With Mario + Rabbids, I had a great time with that game. I went through the entire game when it launched in August/September 2017.

The Donkey Kong expansion pack was a bit expensive as I already paid full price for the base game. And Ubisoft kept on having sales on the base game or base game + expansion pack (known as the Gold version) but no sales on the expansion pack by itself.
that changed over the summer, the expansion has been on sale by itself several times now, btw.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I ignored all warnings and started playing Puzzle Quest in earnest... there were several close calls where my switch lite was almost thrown against the wall in frustration, so maybe I should take a break.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
(Sorry, hit 'submit' too soon on this one. Replies are complete now.)

Re: Monster Boy

How is Monster Boy?
I played through the demo and thought it looked beautiful but I am not 100% sold on the gameplay.
I am still stuck with only the PIG. I hear from everyone it gets better later and I'll keep playing but good god the pig is the worst to start the first hours out as playing!!!
Game is stunningly pretty and great music though!

Monster Boy gets SO good as it goes on! Shout out to adam prime for recommending it. We're very nearly at the end now, going for 100% as we go. There are just a few frustrating design decisions here and there, but apart from that, we've absolutely loved our time with it. Sublime level design, smooth and precise gameplay with many different play styles available with the different forms you can play as. Super clever puzzles, delightful tunes and a world that is packed with secrets. One of my faves of the year for sure. It picks up a ton starting with when you get the second form.

Re: Recommendations

So after Christmas, I have around £27 in eshop credit... and I've no idea what to actually spend it on. I'm torn between a few things:

- Ashen (it looks very pretty and I do like souls games, but I'm wondering if I should just replay Dark Souls instead of buying it if that's what I want)
- Raging Loop (totally different I know, but I loved Higurashi when I read it years ago, and from what I remember people were raving about this a couple of months ago?)
- Gensou Skydrift (because it looks ridiculous and that's it)
- Valhalla Cyberpunk Bartending and Donut County (cause they're both under £10 and I've been vaguely interested in both of them for a while now)
- Also Lumo because I've been sort of interested in it for a few years at this point and it's quite cheap

Of those games, does anyone here have any recommendations for what game I should go for? I mean, I could always just save the money and wait for Cross Code or Moon to come out... but those're ages away, and I'd quite like something now!

Canadian here, what are some great gets for under $10?

I'm open to any genre, mostly playing metroidvania (Hollow Knight), rogue-likes (Gungeon), and puzzle games (Picross).

FWIW, we played some of Lumo on Game Pass and were kinda bored with it. On terms of small Indies we much preferred The Gardens Between (which is also on sale right now for a mere $7 USD). It's a fairly short puzzle platformer with a charming story, imaginative levels and has a seriously cozy feeling to it.

That's also a fair descriptor of Hue, though they're very different games. Creative, compelling puzzle platforming and intriguing narrative in that one. Also on sale, for $6.50 USD.

We also loved the Rayman-esque Splasher (mentioned a few pages ago by Rasec and Nocturnowl) but that one isn't currently on sale - well worth the $15 price though. Oh, and Snake Pass. It's got a pretty high learning curve with the controls for you but if it clicks it really clicks and is an absolute delight as a 3D collectathon platformer. Not on sale either but it goes on sale pretty often. (I also think it's well worth the $20 asking price but with the polarizing controls it's more of a risk to buy.

Re: Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair

The only down thing I noticed about Yooka Laylee 2 was the load times taking a bit. A couple of games lately in fact have been quite long (CTR) - made me wonder if it's my SD card as I hadn't really noticed particularly long load times in many of my other Switch games before, but could just be some games are Slowga. :P

It loads super slow for me, too. Not sure why. Hopefully it can be optimized with a patch. All the more reason I asked Playtonic on Twitter for a quick restart option for the Lair.

I play Yooka 2 with the stick, actually like all platformers on Switch. I only use the dpad for Tetris 99.
I'll give it a longer try. I played Celeste with the fake d-pad and I was fine, so I assumed it would be the same here.
The game's really good. I very much enjoyed chapter 12 and 13, especially the music.

I too recommend playing with the stick. I hope that enhances your playing experience. Glad to hear you are enjoying it otherwise. ^^ The music is a delight and the levels and especially their state changes are so clever and creative.

Miscellaneous

Sales really mess with my brain, I'll ignore stuff I want more because they're not on sale to get a bunch of stuff I wanted less... but THEY'RE ON SALE!

I'm spending the same damn amount! Just get the thing you actually wanted! >_< Writing it out like that is really eye-opening lol.

Connnrad... this is your conscience talking Conrad.... buy the games you want to play... they will never go on sale... until the day after you buy them. You know it in your heart to be true, Conrraaaadddd.

I ignored all warnings and started playing Puzzle Quest in earnest... there were several close calls where my switch lite was almost thrown against the wall in frustration, so maybe I should take a break.

2577426-wii-sports_wbjqhm.jpg

But seriously, I know what you mean with some games. Eek. Sounds like time to switch to another game for a bit.

Last edited:

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Re: Monster Boy

Monster Boy gets SO good as it goes on! Shout out to adam prime for recommending it. We're very nearly at the end now, going for 100% as we go. There are just a few frustrating design decisions here and there, but apart from that, we've absolutely loved our time with it. Sublime level design, smooth and precise gameplay with many different play styles available with the different forms you can play as. Super clever puzzles, delightful tunes and a world that is packed with secrets. One of my faves of the year for sure. It picks up a ton starting with when you get the second form.

Monster Boys is so good, it's one of the best Metroidvanias in the genre, right behind Hollow Knight. The worst thing that it has going for it was its initial high price point. ($40) I think this game's value exceeds that price, but that's asking a lot of a digital only game when it was released, people didn't respond well to that.

Also, the game's difficulty exceeds its presentation. My three daughters LOVED watching me play this game. Each of them wanted to start their own Profile and play the game themselves, but they never made it past the 3rd boss or so. The game gets very difficult and offers no accessibility options to help gamers who can't overcome its challenges. It's definitely a game where you may never actually finish it because it's too difficult and there's no easy mode or hand holding to get you over its obstacles. It's too bad. The game needed an easy mode so more gamers could actually play it longer than its initial hours.

Anyways, yup one of my favorite games on the Switch. And it's pretty long too! In a good way, you want it to keep going!

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.

If it helps, the fact that you can choose difficulty for each opponent means you'll never miss an opportunity to try to switch from easy to normal, just to see the AI get unrealistically lucky combos!

The game rocks, but it's AI is famously only fair on Easy, where it occasionally makes the same human mistakes as you do, and playing on higher difficulties is often an excercise in frustration if you aren't specifically looking for overwhelming odds to overcome.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Monster Boys is so good, it's one of the best Metroidvanias in the genre, right behind Hollow Knight. The worst thing that it has going for it was its initial high price point. ($40) I think this game's value exceeds that price, but that's asking a lot of a digital only game when it was released, people didn't respond well to that.

Also, the game's difficulty exceeds its presentation. My three daughters LOVED watching me play this game. Each of them wanted to start their own Profile and play the game themselves, but they never made it past the 3rd boss or so. The game gets very difficult and offers no accessibility options to help gamers who can't overcome its challenges. It's definitely a game where you may never actually finish it because it's too difficult and there's no easy mode or hand holding to get you over its obstacles. It's too bad. The game needed an easy mode so more gamers could actually play it longer than its initial hours.

Anyways, yup one of my favorite games on the Switch. And it's pretty long too! In a good way, you want it to keep going!

Yes, it is ridiculously hard in some parts despite its cutesy presentation. I was really surprised by that. The platforming in the Volcano and a few of the bosses have truly been shockingly difficult. At least in most/all of the boss fights if you die enough times (5 or so) Zeke will come help you out with some hearts. It's super satisfying to beat the hard parts, though a couple of them felt a bit more cheap than hard lol. But if I can forgive Luigi's Mansion 3 for its B2 level control madness, I can certainly do the same for Monster Boy, the game is wonderful otherwise.

Plainsong

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
Sale has been good for me. Here's my haul (EU):

VA-11 Hall-A
Sayonara Wild Hearts
Unravel 2
Divinity Original Sin 2
Witcher 3
Steamworld Quest
Far: Lone Sails
FFVII
FFVIII
Hotline Miami Collection

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I want to get Witcher 3 but I'll need to upgrade my Micro SD from a 256GB to a 512GB.

For big games like that I think it's preferable to just buy it physically.

Even for something like the Naruto games, for once I just saved money and just bought the third one instead of the set because you had to download all of them if you got the set. Just too much space taken up.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Witcher 3 is the only game I bought physically. To make a point, as cart size seems to be the main factor limiting current gen ports on switch.

Do we know when the patch for blasphemous will be released on switch? I still have to finish Yooka Laylee so I'm not in a hurry...

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Wanted to get Witcher 3 over the holidays but it's physical edition is sold out and back ordered until mid January absolutely everywhere. 😓

I refuse to buy digital even when it's on sale due to its size.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
Is Crash Team Racing port more like Spyro or Crash Trilogy?

Spyro blew me away how good it looks on both handheld and docked, while crash looks good it can be quite blurry.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Axiom verge is on sale for 8, worth getting?
Not my favorite of the metroidvanias available, but if you like more of an 8 bit style and an insane amount of weapon choices then it's a good price. Music is great. Overstayed it's welcome a bit for me and the amount of weapons seemed excessive. Don't think it's ever been that low though. If I remember correctly the money has helped pay for the creator's child's medical needs, so buying the game at least helps a good cause. Might be good to get before the second one (though it's nonessential to play before the second apparently). I recommend checking out the retronauts episode with the creator about the game.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
No.

I mean, there's so many better Metroidvania options on Switch at this point. Unless you've exhausted all the major heavy hitters: Hollow Knight, Monster Boy Cursed Kingdom, Steamworld Dig 2, Guacameleem 1+2, Ori and Blind Forest, Bloodstained Ritual, Robot Named Fight, Dead Cells (and probably more) etc. I say the genre has surpassed Axiom Verge at this point.

My humble opinion. I just didn't like AV. Then again I like the more Castlevania side of Metroidvania than the Metroid-side. AV is a homage to Super Metroid in every way with a mix of Contra.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

I also was kind of unimpressed with Axiom given the hype, but it does have good music and some unorthodox powerups subverting many staples in the genre. Exploration can feel tedious at times though, certain routes are easily missed or can be difficult to notice as they blend into the background, combat is not all that great either despite all of its guns. Nitpicks that all add up to making the game feel a bit overrated is all.

At $8 though its a decent time assuming you'd prefer not to throw that money at a better option like Hollow Knight, Ori, Monster Boy, etc...

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I also was kind of unimpressed with Axiom given the hype, but it does have good music and some unorthodox powerups subverting many staples in the genre. Exploration can feel tedious at times though, certain routes are easily missed or can be difficult to notice as they blend into the background, combat is not all that great either despite all of its guns. Nitpicks that all add up to making the game feel a bit overrated is all.

At $8 though its a decent time assuming you'd prefer not to throw that money at a better option like Hollow Knight, Ori, Monster Boy, etc...

Yeah, AV is not a bad game. It was literally made by one developer - and that's insanely impressive. All the other games we're recommending are NOT one dev games.

So when you look at that game given its perspective, it's a really well done game. But yeah, it's one of the Indie games that can't go toe to toe with other bigger budget games in its genre.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Groove Coaster is one of my favorite rhythm games, but damn it sucks that so much screen space is wasted unless you play in Tate mode, makes me want to research getting a monitor that can display that way

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
No joke but the amount of hot takes lately regarding very acclaimed games (I'm not talking just reviews, in most other system communities and such) is legit making me question the tastes of Switch owners (I don't want to say Nintendo fans because I never really participated in other Nintendo threads, maybe it's the same).

I mean, I know "to each its own" and all that but yikes. Maybe it's a silent minority thing, god knows I cant be arsed to argue these hot takes, but it's still super weird to see.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Picked up Yoka Laylee 2 for my final purchase of 2019. I'm a huge fan of DKCTF, so this looks exactly up my alley.

Also a recommendation: Super Luckys Tale. This is a really good 3D Platformer! I'm not a fan of the genre , but I'm enjoying this! Only complaint is the frequent load times.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
No joke but the amount of hot takes lately regarding very acclaimed games (I'm not talking just reviews, in most other system communities and such) is legit making me question the tastes of Switch owners (I don't want to say Nintendo fans because I never really participated in other Nintendo threads, maybe it's the same).

I mean, I know "to each its own" and all that but yikes. Maybe it's a silent minority thing, god knows I cant be arsed to argue these hot takes, but it's still super weird to see.
What are ya talking about? The Axiom Verge takes a few posts up? Puzzle Quest?

This is my most frequented thread on ERA. I think the tastes here are usually on point. They're diverse for sure, but nothing you don't see in the main page . For example: criticism of Ori in this thread, and then a few days later, there's a thread by different people saying the same thing.

One thing I like about this thread is nobody outright trashes games. Just alot of "eh there's better" or "it wasn't for me".

Pretty positive thread overall

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
So, I got Slain Back From Hell since it's on sale and I read it got a 60 fps patch on Switch. There's no way in hell (pun intended) this game runs at 60 fps, am I missing something? I'm enjoying it, but it's not super smooth.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
What are ya talking about? The Axiom Verge takes a few posts up? Puzzle Quest?

This is my most frequented thread on ERA. I think the tastes here are usually on point. They're diverse for sure, but nothing you don't see in the main page . For example: criticism of Ori in this thread, and then a few days later, there's a thread by different people saying the same thing.

One thing I like about this thread is nobody outright trashes games. Just alot of "eh there's better" or "it wasn't for me".

Pretty positive thread overall

Ori
Monster Boy
Gris
Axiom Verge
Puzzle Quest

that's just off the top of my head.

Apr 24, 2018
Unexpectedly got an e-shop giftcard from a close friend of mine. Picked up Cave Story and Cuphead...and will likely grab one more title before all is said and done. Decisions...

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
People mostly love Monster Boy around here, no?

I never played Axiom Verge, but I get the sense that the feelings towards that game in other communities is even more tepid.

Did you miss all the "I dont get all the hype, Monster Boy isnt that good" posts when it went 50% off? That one is especially funny because every non-Switch owner was seething for it on other systems for years lol.

And Axiom Verge is considered one of the best metroidvanias of the current modern era pretty much everywhere.

Again, I'm all for "to each it's own", it's just super weird to see.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
He's definitely not talking about Puzzle Quest. It's well-known that the CPU in that game is a cheating piece of shit.

Lol I haven't played PQ since XBLA, but I don't remember it being rage inducing. Fight easier enemies and grind, you'll get your attack up and the good stuff will befall you. Stay up on your equipment too. It's a great game!

Ori
Monster Boy
Gris
Axiom Verge
Puzzle Quest

that's just off the top of my head.

Yeah I don't agree with you. All the discussion in here pretty much echoes what's said in other threads.

In my opinion at least. I don't see many bad takes in here. Some people don't like popular games, but we don't outright dismiss them for everyone.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Did you miss all the "I dont get all the hype, Monster Boy isnt that good" posts when it went 50% off? That one is especially funny because every non-Switch owner was seething for it on other systems for years lol.

And Axiom Verge is considered one of the best metroidvanias of the current modern era pretty much everywhere.

Again, I'm all for "to each it's own", it's just super weird to see.
Really? I don't see Axiom Verge mentioned in best Metroidvanias lists anymore. It was at the time of it's release, for sure.

Hmm agree to disagree. I will agree that anyone who doesn't like Monster Boy is absolutely crazy. Haha

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Unexpectedly got an e-shop giftcard from a close friend of mine. Picked up Cave Story and Cuphead...and will likely grab one more title before all is said and done. Decisions...
Heres a hot take that will prove Rhankars point: I didn't like Cave Story! It's a very critically acclaimed game, and I didn't think much of it.

It was just super okay to me. Yet it was on many GOTY lists when it was released.

I'm curious to hear what others thought of it! I didn't play it ever until it was on Switch and I was very 'meh it's okay" about it.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Do I want to buy FFX/X-2 for the FOURTH time....

MAN, I had dreamed of those games on the go a long time ago. It's like wish fulfillment for me to buy them now. I'd do it right away at this sale price if I knew I'd have more mobile game time coming up, but my commutes are already taken up by Hearthstone.

Deleted member 34873

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017

MAN, I had dreamed of those games on the go a long time ago. It's like wish fulfillment for me to buy them now. I'd do it right away at this sale price if I knew I'd have more mobile game time coming up, but my commutes are already taken up by Hearthstone.
Rookie numbers! I have 8 copies, you gotta catch up!

Apr 24, 2018
Heres a hot take that will prove Rhankars point: I didn't like Cave Story! It's a very critically acclaimed game, and I didn't think much of it.

It was just super okay to me. Yet it was on many GOTY lists when it was released.
Yeah, we all have our unique tastes and preferences - certainly nothing wrong with having an opinion that goes against the grain (and thanks for sharing yours!). I certainly have my own views on some games that go wildly against popular consensus XD. I'd been meaning to play Cave Story forever and doubtful that I'd see it at a lower price any time soon so it was basically a blind buy for me, basically just knowing that it's a platform/shooting game.

I'm actually amazed at how much I've enjoyed Cuphead. I beat the entire first world in one sitting of about 90 minutes. I've heard the difficulty spikes up considerably, so I'm bracing myself for the worst, but so far, it's been a sheer joy to play.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

You never owned a Vita?

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

I'm curious to hear what others thought of it! I didn't play it ever until it was on Switch and I was very 'meh it's okay" about it.
I imported Cave Story due to its reputation on Switch (as the EU release came months and months later) but I ended up not liking it very much either.🤫

I very much love Axiom Verge though! I double dipped on Switch having already beaten it on Ps4.