• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
About to play Phantasy Star for the first time. Haven't played the series at all. Any advice or things I should know before jumping in?

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
So I noticed in the news feed that GoNNER got a free update that added new weapons, heads and enemies, etc. And then I remembered how dope GoNNER was and how it's criminal that this game is always forgotten and overlooked, which thinking about it, I'm guilty of as well.

So now I am here to correct that wrong.

GoNNER is really cool. It's basically a side scrolling platformer run n' gun Binding of Issac with an amazing visual style, tight gameplay and a cool soundtrack. It's hard as hell (which is why I kinda cooled on it) but the gameplay loop is so good, dying doesn't sting for too long. Personally, I like this game way more than BoI and Dead Cells, but that's just me.

Anyway, y'all should look into it.

Nov 15, 2017
Philippines
So I noticed in the news feed that GoNNER got a free update that added new weapons, heads and enemies, etc. And then I remembered how dope GoNNER was and how it's criminal that that game is always forgotten and overlooked, which thinking about it, I'm guilty of as well.

So now I am here to correct that wrong.

GoNNER is really cool. It's basically a side scrolling platformer run n' gun Binding of Issac with an amazing visual style, tight gameplay and a cool soundtrack. It's hard as hell (which is why I kinda cooled on it) but the gameplay loop is so good, dying doesn't sting for too long. Personally, I like this game way more than BoI and Dead Cells, but that's just me.

Anyway, y'all should look into it.
I had that game since forever and I agree, it's a little gem. I didn't know it got updated recently though. Thanks for the heads up!

EDIT: Whoa they have a new icon!

Last edited:

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gonner is pretty awesome yeah, it was my first eShop game and gave me lots of hours of enjoyment. I'm curious to try the new content now.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly couldn't get into Gonner. I just hated how the damage system seemed to work and how hilariously vulnerable you were during it. Add in the rogue like/no continue nature of the game and I just got annoyed eventually and went onto playing other games. I'll give it another try with this patch, but I somehow doubt it'll grab me.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly couldn't get into Gonner. I just hated how the damage system seemed to work and how hilariously vulnerable you were during it. Add in the rogue like/no continue nature of the game and I just got annoyed eventually and went onto playing other games. I'll give it another try with this patch, but I somehow doubt it'll grab me.
This is my biggest problem with the game. There are literally no i-frames when you get hit (or if there is, it has an extremely short window) and because you're often surrounded by enemies, once you're hit you almost always will get hit a second time resulting in a failed run. You can mitigate that by 'gittin' gud' but it is a bit frustrating.

I also don't like that I can't remap the controls but that's a problem I have in every game that doesn't allow me to do so.

Last edited:

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
This is my biggest problem with the game. There are literally no i-frames when you get and because you're often surrounded by enemies, once you're hit you're almost always will get hit a second time resulting in a failed run. You can mitigate that by 'gittin' gud' but it is a bit frustrating.

I also don't like that I can't remap the controls but that's a problem I have in every game that doesn't allow me to do so.

Yup. For the default head, getting hit then having to get your gear again before you can attack... drove me insane and probably pushed me off the game quite a lot. I know different heads have different properties and the larger one doesn't cause the exact same issue but as you say no i-frames just make certain encounters feel frustrating as a run can be over in a blink of an eye.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Any impressions on Yonder? Looks lovely, but the deal isn't all that great...

It's a game that is only based on quests and side quests. Lots of collectibles. No enemies or threats. After the main story is completed, the game opens up a bit more, so you can continue with the remaining quests in the "post-world" if you like. You can run your own farm as well (not as deep as in Stardew Valley though), but I never focused on that. A solid game.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Finally got to play some Firewatch in handheld yesterday.
Framerate seems stable, Except in some rare areas, like just before you find the girls in the lake at the beginning, you'll go through bushes and the game doesn't like them.. Textures are meh and pop in is reasonable to me. I'm a very tolerant to these shortcomings though.

To me it seems like a decent port, even more when you consider the core interest is the story.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished GRIS and while it isn't an extremely challenging game, its puzzles are relatively demanding and you get a sense of progression, unlike games like Journey and ABZU.
Transistor is a fantastic game as well, so you're good with either of them. GRIS will surely be on my top 10 2018 games though, maybe even on my top 10 of the gen.

Interesting, yeah I'll certainly check it out, probably in Jan. That's high praise!

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My credit card works in every region I tried, and I tried quite a few. Maybe because it's international? I dunno.
Your card is from VISA, i suppose? My card is a MasterCard international and every region accepts it, except for NA. My wife's VISA card works in NA.
Technically there's no such thing as an "international" card. Whether it works in multiple regions or not is entirely down to what BIN number it is and what policies Nintendo has around that for their stores.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a quick list of what it's on sale?
I don't want to scroll through all the pages of games in the eshop D:

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Well damn. Looks like Donkey Kong Jr. is hitting Arcade Archives this week. Yay for more Nintendo arcade titles getting ported

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
https://eshop-prices.com/games/on-sale?currency=EUR

Here, I find eShop-Prices better to check sales than Savecoins but both are good options. Just be sure to change the currency accordingly to your native one.

EDIT: Oh yeah, buy Membrane if you haven't already.

In Membrane, what are those mushrooms that stop moving around once you get close? I assume there's a coin behind them or likewise but I can't seem to figure out what to do with them.

CJShields

Oct 27, 2017
Are there going to be any further EU sales before Christmas? I'm looking at picking up Hollow Knight, FM 2019, Into the Breach and Stardew Valley but don't want to pull the trigger if they might go on sale soon.

Oct 26, 2017
Firewatch hast some massive slowdowns and even multi second freezes at times. Totally playable, but technically it is rather poor. Given how little there is going on in the world it is weird how bad the performance can get at times.

Still glad I finally got to play this game.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Firewatch hast some massive slowdowns and even multi second freezes at times. Totally playable, but technically it is rather poor. Given how little there is going on in the world it is weird how bad the performance can get at times.

Still glad I finally got to play this game.

Yeah it doesn't like when the draw distance is high and when there are too many polygons around (leaves, branchs...)
I agree that it's playable, but not so well optimized.
What engine is that ?

Mr_Bubbles

Jan 28, 2018
are we expecting a christmas eshop sale? i feel dumb for missing valkyria chron 4 50% off
I know I am, started the 14th (Thursday) last year. So maybe tomorrow?

Don't have a lot to spent though (and somewhat of a backlog), so I would be fine with no extra games on sale and only getting Capcom Beat'm up bundle.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Well damn. Looks like Donkey Kong Jr. is hitting Arcade Archives this week. Yay for more Nintendo arcade titles getting ported

Great news!! Insta-buy for me!!

dkjr_arcade_flyer_high_score_saves_1.png

Joedev

Apr 24, 2018
Not sure if this was known or not, but UFO50 will likely end up on the Switch at some point.

Someone replied to this tweet asking if he would try and release on Switch and the answer was "Yes :)"!

AceyPrime

May 16, 2018
Any comments on 60 Seconds! (now 75% off for $2.49 US) or Animal Super Squad (now 60% off for $3.99 US) ? I think I remember hearing 60 Seconds! had some control and/or performance issues early on but I'm not sure if those were patched.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this was known or not, but UFO50 will likely end up on the Switch at some point.

Someone replied to this tweet asking if he would try and release on Switch and the answer was "Yes :)"!

Thank you for posting this. It just made my day. UFO 50 is my most anticipated game and having it on Switch has been the dream for me ever since it was revealed.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Sundered for Nintendo Switch | First 25 Minutes & Boss Battle Gameplay (Direct-Feed Switch Footage)

Onimusha for Switch - First 15 Minutes & Boss Battle Gameplay:

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it doesn't like when the draw distance is high and when there are too many polygons around (leaves, branchs...)
I agree that it's playable, but not so well optimized.
What engine is that ?
I don't even think that it's all that related to polycount or draw distance. Feels more like the game has a hard time streaming in new areas at certain points.
The level design reminds me a lot of Shadowman on N64, what with all the streaming tunnels and choke points.
I don't expect them to clean up the issues though.

I love the game regardless because I found the story and Voice Actors to be quite good. It manages to build a sense of place similar to the Mansion in RE1 or Zebes in Super Metroid.

Anyone looking for a good story should be right at home with this game.