• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
The price for Gris is low enough for me to buy it for the looks alone.

It's that pretty.

The artist who is involved, Conrad Roset, his work is just absolutely gorgeous. Obviously it's the team's first game so fingers crossed, but at very least, they made something amazing to look at.

They have some really nice prints available on the studio site btw, for anyone interested in that kind of thing: clicky

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
The artist who is involved, Conrad Roset, his work is just absolutely gorgeous. Obviously it's the team's first game so fingers crossed, but at very least, they made something amazing to look at.

They have some really nice prints available on the studio site btw, for anyone interested in that kind of thing: clicky
If it sticks it's landing as this "2D Journey" it's seemingly tried to be, then I can see it being hailed as a latecomer indie masterpiece of the year, but even if it doesn't I think it's gonna be more than good enough for it's asking price.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Coming this week

• 03 - Demetrios: The Big Cynical Adventure - Cowcat - $9.99/€9.99 - 316 MB
    --
  • 04 - Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom - FDG Ent. - $39.99/€39.99 - 5.0 GB
  • 04 - Toki - Microids - $29.99/€29.99 - 699 MB
  • 04 - Atelier Arland Series Deluxe Pack - Koei Tecmo - €89.99 - 8.4 GB
  • 04 - Atelier Meruru: The Apprentice of Arland DX - Koei Tecmo - €39.99 - 8.0 GB
  • 04 - Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland DX - Koei Tecmo - €39.99 - 8.4 GB
  • 04 - Atelier Totori: The Adventurer of Arland DX - Koei Tecmo - €39.99 - 7.4 GB
  • 04 - Gear.Club Unlimited 2 - Microids - $59.99 - 2.2 GB
  • 04 - Monica e a Guarda dos Coelhos - Mad Mimic - €14.99 - 251 MB
    --
  • 05 - Energy Cycle Edge - Sometimes You - $4.99/€4.99 (Preorder sale: $4.24/€4.24) - 674 MB
  • 05 - Son of a Witch - Bigosaur - €12.99 - 468 MB *EU*
    --
  • 06 - Battle Princess Madelyn - Causal Bit Games - $19.99/€17.49 - 1.5 GB
  • 06 - Rival Megagun - Degica Games - $14.99 - 724 MB *NA*
  • 06 - Carcassonne - Asmodee Digital - $19.99/€19.99 - 134 MB
  • 06 - Sega Genesis Classics/Sega Mega Drive Classics - Sega - $29.99/€29.99 - 1.1 GB *12/07 on NA*
  • 06 - Beholder: Complete Edition - Curve Digital - $14.99/€14.99 - 1.8 GB
  • 06 - LongStory: A dating game for the real world - Bloom Digital - $11.89/€9.99 - 365 MB
  • 06 - Conduct Together! - Northplay - $19.99/€19.99 - 277 MB
  • 06 - Twinkle Star Sprites - NeoGeo - ADK/Hamster Co. - $7.99/€6.99
  • 06 - Wizard Fire - Arcade - Data East/FTE Games - €7.99 - 73 MB *EU*
  • 06 - Ultimate Runner - Treva - $19.99/€19.99 - 114 MB
  • 06 - Color Zen - Cypronia - Free-to-Play - 117 MB *NA*
    --
  • 07 - Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Nintendo - $59.99/€69.99 - 13.6 GB
  • 07 - Katamari Damacy Reroll - Bandai Namco - $29.99 - 3.0 GB
  • 07 - Hello Neighbor Hide and Seek - tinyBuild Games - $29.99/€29.99 (Preorder sale: $26.99/€26.99) - 1.8 GB
  • 07 - Santa Tracker - Onteca - $2.99/€2.99 - 99 MB

Japan
  • 06 - Little Friends: Dogs & Cats - Imagineer - ¥6,264
Monster week. So many games here I want.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I'm no expert but you can notice that it's not native 700 on hanheld.
It's a bit blurry but nothing too much.
Besides that the game runs well on handheld.
I can notice they reduced a bit of the foliage to help reduce stress on the machine.

You can check here to have an idea.
Looks better than I thought actually. Thanks!

Bate

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
No Wonder Boy on the Switch Mega Drive Collection. What a bummer! Will probably still buy it to have my retro gaming fix on the go

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I'm no expert but you can notice that it's not native 700 on hanheld.
It's a bit blurry but nothing too much.
Besides that the game runs well on handheld.
I can notice they reduced a bit of the foliage to help reduce stress on the machine.

You can check here to have an idea.

Maybe watching this on my phone is helping matters, but I am floored with how good this game looks.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't realise Monster Boy was going to be £35. That's too rich for my blood this month.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
How's the HD rumble for Spintires (does it have it?), could be cool.
One of the reasons I want to see Wave Race 3 on Switch (WR:BS and Luigi's Mansion had the best rumble ever on NGC... glad that LM isn't stuck on 3DS anymore although too bad about the lack of analog triggers, especially for WR... but I won't complain if N just announces the damn game... I feel the window to bring it over is gone tho, could've been a great launch title).

Anyway, Spintires, HD rumble good then?
How good?

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Too big of a backlog, and with big games like Diablo/DSouls/Splatoon2 still wrapped/untouched, Mario Party joycons bundle and Taiko+Drums controller having just arrived, plus the dozens upon dozens of great games on my digital backlog, my buys will be relegated to "just":

Smash Bros Ultimate (because I know in the end I'll cave in so better get those 2x points now)

Battle Princess Madelyn
€20 is a bit steep but I just want the game to be good and Madelyn actually controlling like proper GnG's Arthur and not some Mega Man clone/inspired-by "homage".

ACA NEO-GEO/Zero div/any shmups
Glad I can wait for Outrun lol, I'll still get Twinkle Star and any shmups/arcade games that go up on the eShop this month

Day 1 that have been relegated to "Wait for a 40%off sale":

• Genesis Collection: this was day 1 but missing the Wonderboy games while still pricing it the same? Nope. Will get for €15 and not much more than that.

• Toki: I don't really love the visuals (tho that might change a bit having the game in motion on the Switch screen) and the game not only has zero extra content but also misses the option to play the original arcade game which was what I wanted and doesn't even have online leaderboards to highscore chase. At €30? No way José, will grab for €15.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Too big of a backlog, and with big games like Diablo/DSouls/Splatoon2 still wrapped/untouched, Mario Party joycons bundle and Taiko+Drums controller having just arrived, plus the dozens upon dozens of great games on my digital backlog, my buys will be relegated to "just":

Smash Bros Ultimate (because I know in the end I'll cave in so better get those 2x points now)

Battle Princess Madelyn
€20 is a bit steep but I just want the game to be good and Madelyn actually controlling like proper GnG's Arthur and not some Mega Man clone/inspired-by "homage".

Glad I can wait for Outrun lol, I'll still get Twinkle Star and any shmups/arcade games that go up on the eShop this month

• Genesis Collection: this was day 1 but missing the Wonderboy games while still pricing it the same? Nope. Will get for €15 and not much more than that.

• Toki: I don't really love the visuals (tho that might change a bit having the game in motion on the Switch screen) and the game not only has zero extra content but also misses the option to play the original arcade game which was what I wanted and doesn't even have online leaderboards to highscore chase. Missing leaderboards is something I can barely put up with for Zerodiv/FTE releases at €8. And you don't even have them for your €30 asking price? No way José, will grab for €15.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
I totally forgot Kingdom Two Crowns was out this month. The first game is still among my favourite Switch games, definitely picking that up.

Gris looks rad too, gonna buy that.

Well now Kingdom: New Lands is on my radar. It looks really addicting and I love the idea of something that's challenging without being frantic.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
How is Moonlighter? It looks really pretty and depending on the kind of game I'd love to play it. Also GRIS looks beautiful, but, again, I wonder what kind of game it is.

Haven't seen a response to this yet and I'm still tempted to grab it for the holidays. Any thoughts on Moonlighter? Reviews are good-ish, but I'm worried that it will get repetitive and uninteresting quick. How's the longevity on this one?

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Well now Kingdom: New Lands is on my radar. It looks really addicting and I love the idea of something that's challenging without being frantic.
It's deceptively calming, then suddenly your walls are falling and you're running for your life hoping that what's left of your soldiers can fall back and hold the line. I've played dozens of hours of it and haven't beaten the last couple of islands because honestly they're just too difficult for me, but I've replayed the first few so many times lol

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
What happened to Puzzle Boble ACA or whatever it was? I thought there was supposed to be two bobble games sometime in November on the eShop and then they never appeared.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Haven't seen a response to this yet and I'm still tempted to grab it for the holidays. Any thoughts on Moonlighter? Reviews are good-ish, but I'm worried that it will get repetitive and uninteresting quick. How's the longevity on this one?
I ended up buying it. It seems fun for now, but the rogue aspects aren't obviously as strong since equipment is something you get to prepare yourself rather than scavenge the dungeon.
I find the store management part alright, but I'm not immensely thrilled by it, I guess. It still feels good to play though, and the music is brilliant. Visually it's quite appealing too, obviously.

I will continue playing but I wonder how long will I be able to play since one of the barriers is money and it seems like you will probably end up getting exponentially more and more of it.

BourbonJungle

Nov 1, 2017
It seems I completely missed Road Redemption last month. Can anyone recommend it? Huge Road Rash fan here.

I looooved Road Rash 3D0 back in the day, have it hooked up to a nice CRT in my office and expect it to gather dust now thanks to Road Redemption.

The control is excellent, the music fitting and I like the rogue-like element they've added. I've been playing this steadily for the last month during breaks from Read Dead 2 and Spider-Man and only recently finished the main career mode.

They've got a good assortment of weapons and combat is exciting and fun. You can use a lead pipe to knock off someone's helmet then switch to your sword to decapitate them (giving double health/nitro boost). Slapping a C4 explosive then nitro boosting out of harm's way is always fun, as is kicking someone off a rooftop or getting the lead and dropping explosives behind you to eliminate a gang leader or take our your competition.

It's got some jank, but probably wouldn't feel like Road Rash without it. I mostly played on TV, but finally beat career mode in handheld mode on a work trip. Found both worked well but the load times are quite slow. I don't mind so much as it gave me a minute to browse my phone before being 100% glued to the screen when the racing picked up.

My tips would be to focus on upgrades that boost your experience/health gain early on. I also used the Gordon Gecko character who has less health but earns experience and cash faster (also would buy the Midas vest which lowers your armor but ups your experience/cash gain significantly), this forced me to get good, learn to time blocks, kick people more, etc. much faster.

For ranked races it's totally worthwhile to kill off your competition as you go so that you don't need to worry about rubber-banding AI late in the race. For the time trials only engage in combat when you need to refill your health/nitro otherwise just kick people out of your way. For levels where you need to eliminate gang members using C4, dynamite, and guns is very helpful. I tend not to aim side-to-side too much but to try and creep behind opponents, line up my target then blast them with the shotgun, machine gun, etc.

Haven't tried multiplayer but have had a lot of fun playing solo and found I was often compelled to have "just one more race".

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Game of the Day

of8482xwophpozyneh6jom5izz.jpg

*Nintendo Switch exclusive*

Enjoy a game about friendship while solving challenging puzzles together. Pode is a great game to play with your partner, relatives, children or just by yourself! Music by Austin Wintory!

Pode is a co-op puzzle exploration game about a rock and a fallen star working together to solve ancient puzzles in a stunning environment inspired by Norwegian art and culture.

Travelling through the insides of a mysterious and magical mountain, Bulder and Glo breathe life into an ancient sleeping world and esplore the ruins of a long lost civilization with their unique talents and abilities. Only by helping each other can these unlikely adventure companions solve the ancient puzzles that open the secret passageways up the cavers of Mount Fjellheim.

The soundtrack is by the legendary Austin Wintory!

Key Features:
- Exploration. discover a beautiful and ancient cave system and uncover its secrrets to reach your goal.
- Puzzles. Solve puzzles, riddles and mysteries. Combine the two character's special abilities to overcome obstacles.
- Co-op or single player. share the experience with a friend, or enjoy playing it by yourself.
- Unique art style. Enjoy a world inspired by Norwegian art and nature.

pg8yxii9wgd0o-8flu1tqmaeuh.jpg
s5bxx-rywjwfg8ht4qnfofgiql.jpg

$24.99/€24.99/£22.49 - NA web - EU web

12/02 - Swim Out
12/01 - The Gardens Between
11/30 - Prison Architect
11/29 - Fallout Shelter
11/28 - Victor Vran: Overkill Edition
11/27 - West of Loathing

Sale of the Day

62cf056142355039d89bdlefgh.jpg

$6.29/€6.29/£5.59 (%30 off sale until 12/13) - NA web - EU web *Demo available*

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Hello everyone, I have come to spread the gospel of Gensokyo Defenders. I wasn't expecting much from yet another Touhou fangame after I slogged through the truly atrocious Touhou Kobuto V: Burst Battle for a review, but this game has changed my mind.

...ok it looks like crap BUT HEAR ME OUT

Basically it's a tower defense / twin-stick shooter hybrid with anime girls. You lay traps around the map during the Trap phase, and then in the Attack phase you run around spamming your projectiles and spell cards to fight off the enemies that don't get taken out by your traps. There are a ton of characters to play (nearly 20 according to the description) and they all feel really unique in the playstyles they offer. For example Alice is based around laying puppets everywhere who act as little mini turrets and shoot in the direction that you're shooting, while Sakuya's abilities let you instantly reset trap reload times and push enemies backwards to get hit by said traps a second time.

If there's one problem, it's that the UI for upgrading characters and traps is hilariously cheap. There's no easy way to see what you've upgraded, how far you've upgraded it, or if the upgrade is really even doing anything. Still, the gameplay is awesome so it's an easy 9/10 for me regardless. And I gave a 10/10 score to the Switch killer app Ace of Seafood so you know my taste is impeccable!! This would be a 10/10 too if there was ever anyone playing the online mode to do co-op with. I've only managed to find one person... in the Japan server... in a password-locked room.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering if I should get R-Type Dimensions (while it's on sale), Rival Megagun or Stardust Galaxy Warriors.

Any suggestions, Era?

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018

Battle Princess Madelyn

• Toki: I don't really love the visuals (tho that might change a bit having the game in motion on the Switch screen) and the game not only has zero extra content but also misses the option to play the original arcade game which was what I wanted and doesn't even have online leaderboards to highscore chase. Missing leaderboards is something I can barely put up with for Zerodiv/FTE releases at €8. And you don't even have them for your €30 asking price? No way José, will grab for €15.
I'm very excited for Twinkle Star Sprites and cautiously optimistic about Madelyn. Maldita Castilla is the gold standard for authentic GnG homages but Madelyn seems to be emulating the style of Super Ghouls which sets it apart a bit.
I bought Volgarr the Viking in the last day of sale. Man, this game is hard.
Stick with it. Volgarr is a seriously great and satisfying game.
I'm wondering if I should get R-Type Dimensions (while it's on sale), Rival Megagun or Stardust Galaxy Warriors.

Any suggestions, Era?
R-Type is essential as far as I'm concerned, but I'm gonna pick up Rival Megagun for sure.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Well, there are entirely too many games coming to the Switch eShop in December. Just like every other month. Gris, Katamari, Firewatch, Genesis Collection, Desert Child, Phantasy Star and a few others are on my radar.

For Smash, Nintendo-published stuff usually hits the eShop at midnight, right? I honestly can't remember.

steveovig

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
$0.99 for Car Quest is awesome, to me. I was close to buying it at launch but after looking at videos, it looked to be not worth it. For that price though, I'll surely have some fun with it, I imagine.

EDIT: I played a little and it's fun for the price. You collect batteries that re-spawn, so it's not like you're collecting them once like in collect-a-thon platformers. You just go around finding artifacts and opening new areas.

Last edited:

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
What possible reason would they have to specifically take OUT the Wonder Boy games on the Switch Mega Drive collection?

:|

I want the pack but seemingly random junk like that pisses me off.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Got my flipgrip and immediately bought Dragon Blaze. Feels good but the right Joycon could slide in a tad smoother.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow thanks fof the heads up on Car Quest. I was thinking of buying it literally yesterday and somehow didn't see it among the other sales.

Gunkankun

Oct 29, 2017
Interested in the Megadrive Collection, mainly cause I havent played the rpgs that are on there yet. Do they hold up?

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Best-selling titles of November in Europe.

01 (NE) - Pokemon: Let's Go, Pikachu!
02 (NE) - Pokemon: Let's Go, Eevee!
03 (NE) - Diablo III: Eternal Collection
04 (NE) - Super Smash Bros Ultimate

05 (RE) - Super Mario Odyssey
06 (RE) - Rocket League
07 (01) - Super Mario Party
08 (RE) - Enter the Gungeon
09 (NE) - Sid Meier's CIvilization VI
10 (RE) - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
11 (03) - Undertale
12 (07) - Stardew Valley
13 (RE) - Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
14 (NE) - Moonlighter
15 (15) - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Mr_Bubbles

Jan 28, 2018
I got the Wonder Boy 3 remake on the PlayStation 4, but bought it on the Switch when it was half price last Christmas. I prefer the d-pad on the DualShock 4, and the visuals are a lot more cleaner/detailed on the PlayStation 4 too however, the portability nature is just as great.
Are you sure the PS4 version is more detailed and cleaner? Just seems a bit weird for such a game to not be optimized on Switch.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Did Battle Princess Madelyn get a last minute delay? On the UK eshop its now got a release date of next week (where as before it was 6th Dec). Oh well, I need more time to play Monster Boy anyway.

cowbanana

Feb 2, 2018
a Socialist Utopia
Did anyone pick up Toki? How is it? I want to play it, but on the other hand I just bought Monster Boy and Toki will probably drop in price... so.. I'm inclined to wait.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
For what it's worth, the USA store still says 12/06.
Good to know. I can wait a week if need be, as I have a glut of other games to play!

Did anyone pick up Toki? How is it? I want to play it, but on the other hand I just bought Monster Boy and Toki will probably drop in price... so.. I'm inclined to wait.
Its been posted about in this thread and the Toki thread a few times, but yeah I've played it. Its a fantastic remaster of the arcade game, but price wise it just seems a bit high at £30! for a game that seems to only include the arcade levels and no real extras bar difficulty options. When you have Wonderboy 3 giving you a graphics toggle at half the price, or Monster Boy which is around 15-20 hours long for just £5 more, its a bit hard to recommend right now. Definitely get it on sale if you can though, as the gameplay itself is fantastic. Just a bit overpriced vs. contents.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Did Battle Princess Madelyn get a last minute delay? On the UK eshop its now got a release date of next week (where as before it was 6th Dec). Oh well, I need more time to play Monster Boy anyway.
For what it's worth, the USA store still says 12/06.
It has been delayed til December 13 for the Switch. I've been playing the game since last week but got an email this morning informing me that Switch embargo has been extended til Dec. 13 due to the need & arrival of a patch. Steam and Xbox One version will release on Dec. 6 like planned.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
It has been delayed til December 13 for the Switch. I've been playing the game since last week but got an email this morning informing me that Switch embargo has been extended til Dec. 13 due to the need & arrival of a patch. Steam and Xbox One version will release on Dec. 6 like planned.
Good to know, thanks. Sucks its delayed but understandable if they want to patch it. I'll just get on with Monster Boy until then :)