• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Choose the next month banner

• https://abload.de/img/bannerblasphemous3qkdl.png

Votes: 40 35.1%
  • https://abload.de/img/bannerrivercitygirlsc1jej.png

Votes: 74 64.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're making a stronger case for option 2 than for option 1.
So it would seem, but I'm honestly more excited ATM to play Fire Emblem so I guess that's the balance.

Mmm... that's tough, because I absolutely love Tangledeep, but also Fire Emblem. If you get Disgaea, there's the chance you'll burn out of SRPGs before Fire Emblem, when the latter has current discussion going on to participate in.

So... Tangledeep + Fire Emblem? :P Most expensive option is best.
Lol i considered that as well.

Here's the problem - I'm a total glutton. I'm still waist deep in DQB2. But nothing gets me more excited to blow my money than discounts and HYPE.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
So, nobody has bought/played CHROMA SQUAD then? It seems so cool...

Bought DOOM 3 and POE, too many games! Aaah.

Haven't played DOOM 3 since 2004, looking forward to a replay.

Yeah DOOM3 will definitely enter my rotation next week, for now I grabbed DOOM2... so many nights spent playing on my brother's new Pentium!

Btw, PILLARS OF ETERNITY has no physical version, right? Let us know how it runs on handheld mode compared to docked if you can, I also couldn't find out info about Touch screen implementation but I guess not considering there's no mention on the eShop page (usually it says "This software supports Touch screen" or similar, at the bottom of the listing)... too bad.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah DOOM3 will definitely enter my rotation next week, for now I grabbed DOOM2... so many nights spent playing on my brother's new Pentium!

Btw, PILLARS OF ETERNITY has no physical version, right? Let us know how it runs on handheld mode compared to docked if you can, I also couldn't find out info about Touch screen implementation but I guess not considering there's no mention on the eShop page (usually it says "This software supports Touch screen" or similar, at the bottom of the listing)... too bad.

If you have no way to play this on a computer then get it but honestly controls for POE on console are bad.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
Serious question:

Should I buy Fire Emblem for $60 this week or pick up Tangledeep + Disgaea 5 for a combined $33?

The Fire Emblem hype is starting to get to me (DQB2 stealing my attention until now) but those discounts are spicy and I have had those games on my wishlist forever.
My personal opinion: Fire Emblem, 100%. Fire Emblem is one of the best gaming experiences I've had this year and I can't put it down. Disgaea 5, on the other hand, I put down in just a couple of hours, largely because I found its main two protagonists unpleasant to listen to due to bad dialogue and delivery (though YMMV).

Don't really know much about Tangledeep though.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
My personal opinion: Fire Emblem, 100%. Fire Emblem is one of the best gaming experiences I've had this year and I can't put it down. Disgaea 5, on the other hand, I put down in just a couple of hours, largely because I found its main two protagonists unpleasant to listen to due to bad dialogue and delivery (though YMMV).

Don't really know much about Tangledeep though.

I have to second this. Disgaea 5 portable is why I bought a Switch in the first place and as much as I love the Disgaea series Fire Emblem is working itself into the best game I have played this year.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Serious question:

Should I buy Fire Emblem for $60 this week or pick up Tangledeep + Disgaea 5 for a combined $33?

The Fire Emblem hype is starting to get to me (DQB2 stealing my attention until now) but those discounts are spicy and I have had those games on my wishlist forever.
There's no wrong answer. I bought Tangledeep at launch, but haven't started it yet.

Both FE and Disgaea 5 are amazing - but you know that already. It comes down to whether you want to be on the hype train for FE or not. It's unlikely to see great deals in the future, but D5 is on sale now.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Correct no physical for POE 1, the sequel will have one though.

I'll post impressions when it releases. 🙂

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
The price kept it on my wishlist for quite a while before that sale hit. $13.99 was too good to pass up. Though I really did enjoy the game when I finally got around to it.

Daedalic made such mistakes with pricing on the Switch. State of Mind Switch alone got really good user reviews on various websites (e.g. Amazon), I guess most people were simply put off by the original price of 40€. And they had finished production during a time when Switch owners were hungry for games (summer 2018), and adventures seem to do well with us - the trailer got a lot of attention in the Switch community.

Deponia is 40€, and it's only the first game which is 1€ (regularly 10€) on Steam right now.

Last edited:

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
I played it on PS4 and it was fine.

Everything about the port to consoles was great minus controls for me. The game is old enough that I think the Switch port will be good. Only other issue I could think of would be load times but we will know on release about performance issues. I am glad a lot of old and new WRPG's are coming out for the Switch and I hope to see other games perhaps Tyranny come to it eventually.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I feel like I say this every week but I am absolutely desperate for Into the Breach DLC. I need it like I need air.

I have Chroma Squad on Steam. Haven't played a lot of it but what I played was really good. I plan to double dip on Switch but I'm really into Fire Emblem right now and don't want to burn out on SRPGs. Mutant Year Zero is also staying on my wishlist for now for the same reason.

nacarelli

Oct 30, 2017
Nice, I was waiting for a sale on the game.
How is the Switch port?

Graphics are really blurry and, IMO, better in handheld than docked. Having said that, sometimes it's a really gorgeous game.

There was one instance where the game crashed on me (near the end) and the framerate tanks in some areas, but it's far from unplayable.

All in all, a nice horror game with an interesting story and fantastic world. For the price, it's a steal.

Youabra

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
So, unless I'm mistaken, if you have NSO, you can already download Captain Todd if you have a Japanese account.
EBKIGdiWwAAIKUj

(Sorry for the quality)
There's a new option that mentions NSO at the top. Click it, and confirm, and the game will start downloading.
If you can't find the game, search for it by looking at the demos.

EDIT: Well, shoot. Tried with all of my 5 accounts, and it won't start. "This user can't use this program"
The account with online is european. The japanese one doesn't have it.
I'll try tomorrow since it isn't the 5th where I live yet.

DOUBLE EDIT: You can also download Mario Tennis, even though it's not the 7th. So I guess you can have the games preloaded.

Last edited:

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
So, unless I'm mistaken, if you have NSO, you can already download Captain Todd if you have a Japanese account.
EBKIGdiWwAAIKUj

(Sorry for the quality)
There's a new option that mentions NSO at the top. Click it, and confirm, and the game will start downloading.
If you can't find the game, search for it by looking at the demos.

EDIT: Well, shoot. Tried with all of my 5 accounts, and it won't start. "This user can't use this program"
The account with online is european. The japanese one doesn't have it.
I'll try tomorrow since it isn't the 5th where I live yet.

DOUBLE EDIT: You can also download Mario Tennis, even though it's not the 7th. So I guess you can have the games preloaded.
Yeah you got that all right. You can download/preload the game, but it won't allow you to play them until the correct date.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Serious question:

Man, I liked Tangledeep for about an hour, then didn't like it. I can see its appeal. I would recommend buying on Steam and refunding if you don't like it, I think you'll know within 2 hours if it's going to click for you.

Fire Emblem however. Man, I think they absolutely nailed making a SRPG for everyone. I can't imagine anyone who is remotely interested in SRPG/Anime not enjoying the game, it's so accessible, so forgiving, and has great music, story, and characters. It's about as accessible of a RPG as there ever has been, I highly recommend it.

That said. It's not going anywhere at $60, it'll stay that price for a long long time. So you can always jump in later. But yup, it's a great FE emblem and a RPG that I think has something for everyone to enjoy.

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

I enjoyed Chroma Squad on PC up until around the midpoint where it starts to feel a tad repetitive. It's a funny, fun game but doesn't change enough over time to not outstay it's welcome.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Holy shit, I can play toad treasure tracker for free for 6 days? Awesome! Really wanted to play this but with my backlog I couldn't justify buying it. I'll be playing this exclusively now and try to finish before the trial expires.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Well I was thinking of buying another Sega Ages game to show support and since I'm waiting for a puzzle one really I was thinking of choosing between Out Run or Virtua Racing? Which is the better pick out of the two?
Oooo you just had to remind me this exists, and I have enough gold coins and spare Eshop credit....
Serious question:

Get Disgaea 5 Dood... I just gave in myself Dood

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Well I was thinking of buying another Sega Ages game to show support and since I'm waiting for a puzzle one really I was thinking of choosing between Out Run or Virtua Racing? Which is the better pick out of the two?

Oooo you just had to remind me this exists, and I have enough gold coins and spare Eshop credit....

Out Run. One of the greatest arcade games of all time.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam

I'd recommend virtua racing, it's way more modern and aged incredibly well thanks to its very abstract 3D art, it could pass as a modern retro game. It looks amazing on my 55 inch 4K screen at 60fps.

Buy both, I guess lol

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I'd recommend virtua racing, it's way more modern and aged incredibly well thanks to its very abstract 3D art, it could pass as a modern retro game. It looks amazing on my 55 inch 4K screen at 60fps.

Buy both, I guess lol
It also has 8 player... hmmm

On a fun random note I actually own the Saturn port of virtua racer, never got around to playing it though

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
OutRun is a masterpiece with much more content and one of the best soundtracks ever. Virtua Racing is very good but it's not even close.

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Coming this week

• 06 - DC Universe Online - Daybreak Game Company - Free-to-Play
  • 06 - Shadows 2: Perfidia - Ultimate Games - $7.99/€7.99 - 2.4 GB
  • 06 - Epic Clicker Journey - Ultimate Games - $4.99/€4.99 - 1.1 GB
    --
  • 07 - The Forbidden Arts - Stingbot Games - $14.99/€13.18 (Preorder sale: $12.74/€11.20) - 2.2 GB
  • 07 - Damsel - Screwtape Studios - $16.99/€16.99 (Preorder sale: $14.44/€14.44) - 1.1 GB
    --
  • 08 - Pix the Cat - Playdigious - $9.99/€9.99 (Preorder sale: $7.99/€7.99) - 716 MB
  • 08 - Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition - Versus Evil - $49.99/€49.99 (Preorder sale: $39.99/€39.99) - 15.8 GB
  • 08 - FIA European Truck Racing Championship - Bigben Interactive - €49.99 - 6.5 GB
  • 08 - Doughlings: Invasion - Hero Concept - $9.99/€9.99 (Preorder sale: $8.99/€8.99) - 135 MB
  • 08 - Subdivision Infinity DX - Blowfish Studios - $14.99/€12.99 (Preorder sale: $11.99/€10.39) - 1.8 GB
  • 08 - Oh! Edo Towns - Kairosoft - $12.00/€10.00 - 189 MB
  • 08 - The Pyraplex - Kairosoft - $12.00/€10.00 - 188 MB
  • 08 - Wordsweeper by POWGI - Lightwood Games - $7.99/€7.99 - 57 MB
  • 08 - Sudoku Universe - Indienova - $6.99/€6.99 (Preorder sale: €4.89) - 230 MB
    --
  • 09 - Turok 2: Seeds of Evil - Nightdive Studios - $19.99/€17.59 - 569 MB
  • 09 - Tactics V: Obsidian Brigade - FNG Studios - $24.99/€20.99 - 958 MB
  • 09 - Taimumari: Complete Edition - Victory Road - €13.29 - 106 MB
  • 09 - Neverlast - Sabec - $9.99 - 765 MB
  • 09 - Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet - Complete Edition - Bandai Namco
  • 09 - #RaceDieRun - Qubic Games - $9.99/€9.99 (Sale if you own one QubicGames game: $4.99/€4.99) - 725 MB
  • 09 - Welcome to Hanwell - SteelArtsSoftware - $14.99/€13.89 - 2.6 GB

- Japan
  • 08 - Kageroh: Shadow Corridor - Regista - Â¥1,944

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Graphics are really blurry and, IMO, better in handheld than docked. Having said that, sometimes it's a really gorgeous game.

There was one instance where the game crashed on me (near the end) and the framerate tanks in some areas, but it's far from unplayable.

All in all, a nice horror game with an interesting story and fantastic world. For the price, it's a steal.
Thanks for the feedback.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Weird. The ACA NEOGEO game Neo Turf Masters just had an update that changed its name to Big Tournament Golf.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Is DC Universe Online any good ? I'm tempted to try it, hope it's cross account so I can continue playing it on PC it the controls are too weird on Switch compared to PC

Youabra

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I...don't undestand how I was able to play Captain Toad after an hour of experiments.
Downloaded from my japanese account, and then tried with the eur account -> Nope
Made my Eur account japanese, and then I downloaded the game with that account -> Nope
Changed my Switch region to Japan and then tried playing -> Success
Changed back the account to Eur, leaving the Switch with "Japan" as the region -> Success
Changed back everything to what it was before all these experiments -> Success

The main thing to take from this is that it works. But rip those 0,24€ in my Eur account. Now how I'll be able to get nothing at all!?

Going back to Captain Todd, I'm guessing that the blue pointer will be useful as I progress. Which means using the Joycons. Please be gentle with me drifting...

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
I'm finally joining the Switch club sometime this month whenever that new model comes out! Even bought my first Switch game already (Fire Emblem: Three Houses).

That Tactics V game looks great! I imagine I'll probably be SRPG'd out by FE, but man, I really wanna give that one a try, too. I haven't heard anything about it before, kinda snuck up on me.

Question for you long-time Switch folks:
How often do indie games go on sale for the Switch (and how good are those sales)? Steam is my typical indie platform, since those game are usually a couple bucks on humble bundle or steam sales. I wanna make the Switch my new indie machine though because of portability, but I have a feeling it's gonna at least double the cost.

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Is DC Universe Online any good ? I'm tempted to try it, hope it's cross account so I can continue playing it on PC it the controls are too weird on Switch compared to PC
DCUO is very good with a ton of content for free players so you can play some and find out if you like it or not before you pay for the first time. One could also argue that it was made with consoles in mind as it launched on ps3 and was developed by what used to be Sony online entertainment.
No cross-account or play, though, as the switch servers are fresh.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
How often do indie games go on sale for the Switch (and how good are those sales)? Steam is my typical indie platform, since those game are usually a couple bucks on humble bundle or steam sales. I wanna make the Switch my new indie machine though because of portability, but I have a feeling it's gonna at least double the cost.

Very often (big sale every Thursday, a few games on other days). Discounts are pretty good sometimes, but you'll definitely spend more on Switch then on Steam.

To keep up to date on sales, follow https://twitter.com/eShopNotifier

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
DCUO is very good with a ton of content for free players so you can play some and find out if you like it or not before you pay for the first time. One could also argue that it was made with consoles in mind as it launched on ps3 and was developed by what used to be Sony online entertainment.
No cross-account or play, though, as the switch servers are fresh.
The game works fine with controller. But worth noting, the Switch servers are seperate for now. Entirely fresh new start.
Oh fresh start ? Well, that's fair, I'll download it tomorrow !

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
Very often (big sale every Thursday, a few games on other days). Discounts are pretty good sometimes, but you'll definitely spend more on Switch then on Steam.

To keep up to date on sales, follow https://twitter.com/eShopNotifier
Oh wow, that's pretty frequent. And looking at the deals on that twitter feed, they're pretty good too! Thanks for the info. I don't mind paying extra compared to Steam if it means I can play those games on the go.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
IS DC Universe Online coming out in Europe tomorrow? There don't seem to be any eShop pages for it outside of the US. (And you can usually find them by taking the US NSUID and adding or subtracting one to the value if there's no direct link, but that's getting no results this time)

Edit: Okay, it is.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
So, a heads up regarding The Last Door - I've encountered several days ago a game stopping bug (one of the puzzles can't be solved so you can no longer advance) in the very last episode of Season 2, BUT I emailed the developer and they answered today:

"We are preparing a fix to this bug and it will published as soon as possible. Sorry for the inconveniences.
Mauricio Garcia Serrano
Producer & CEO - The Game Kitchen"

So I guess it's just a matter of being patient now. Without this bug (that hopefully will be gone soon) it's a point and click horror game I really enjoyed.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty hype to start fresh with DCUO on Switch. I was in from the beta on PS3, and played a ton there and again on PS4. The game manages to get me addicted about once a year to the point that I was lugging around my PS4 on work trips just to log in. The game was no technical marvel when it came out many years ago, so I'm not too worried about how it will run, but I do hope handheld mode isn't total garbo haha

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
IS DC Universe Online coming out in Europe tomorrow? There don't seem to be any eShop pages for it outside of the US. (And you can usually find them by taking the US NSUID and adding or subtracting one to the value if there's no direct link, but that's getting no results this time)

Edit: Okay, it is.

Nice job. Had been wondering about this myself. I've been clearing some space on my SD in preparation, so glad to hear it's happening.

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone have any accessories recommendations for a new Switch owner? I'll be getting a screen protector and also the Hori joycon for that directional pad at some point, since I play a lot of 2D platformers. Kinda undecided whether I want to get some grips/handles also...I'll have to see when I actually have the Switch in my hands.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone have any accessories recommendations for a new Switch owner? I'll be getting a screen protector and also the Hori joycon for that directional pad at some point, since I play a lot of 2D platformers. Kinda undecided whether I want to get some grips/handles also...I'll have to see when I actually have the Switch in my hands.
I had a basic grip case and it was good. But I play docked now a lot and couldn't be bothered taking it on and off so now just keep it off.

The flip grip is great if you like Tate shooters and games like Downwell.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

If you play a lot of 2d platformers, one of the 8bitdo controllers or adapters would be a decent bet. I think people report that there's some lag though I'm apparently not good enough to notice. :)

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
In terms of portable power banks, do we need to use the official Nintendo brand or will any do?

If you play a lot of 2d platformers, one of the 8bitdo controllers or adapters would be a decent bet. I think people report that there's some lag though I'm apparently not good enough to notice. :)
Yeah, I was thinking of getting the adapter, so I can use my PS4 controller. I like the Hori joycon though for when I'm in handheld mode.