• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the update Nabbit , maybe I'll bite on DK.

Interesting about the patch to Yooka Laylee, the difficulty of that final level had turned me off to it but maybe now I'll get it.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I might bite on Astral Chain but since i can probably get it physical for 37€ i might go for that.
Funny that i expected Fire emblem to be on sale since it came a bit earlier than Astral Chain but no luck.

Guess the game is still selling super well that still doesn't need a small boost from a sale.

I expected more nintendo games on sale to capitalize on the fact that everyone is inside due to quarentine but i guess they don't see a need for that since all their stuff is selling pretty hot worldwide.
Hasn't FE3H been on sale already (once, that is)?

E: Yep, in February.

Rasec

Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
I actually quite liked the impossible lair but it was really tought and took me like 2h to finally beat it.

But i'm also that kind of guy that can spend 1h or more grinding a single hard level on mario maker so that's probably only me linking this stuff. xD

Hasn't FE3H been on sale already (once, that is)?

True, totally forgot about it. Now that i checked it, it was on sale one month ago.
So it makes sense it's not here now.

But i sure wish that Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 would get a sale one of this days. xD

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
A shame that BotW still doesn't drop below the 30% off mark for sales. I've got it physically, but tend to buy the digital versions of games down the line when on a good sale - for the convenience.

Maybe this is a sign from Nintendo telling me to drop that dumb habit, though, haha.

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
A shame that BotW still doesn't drop below the 30% off mark for sales. I've got it physically, but tend to buy the digital versions of games down the line when on a good sale - for the convenience.

Maybe this is a sign from Nintendo telling me to drop that dumb habit, though, haha.

I do that as well, if I like the game and especially for multiplayer games. Zelda I regret buying digital, the DLC was kinda meh and I never finished the game (but got most of the shrines cleared).

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Is botw season pass worth it? Saw some negative feedback. I didnt play the base game yet, but i own the physical

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I do that as well, if I like the game and especially for multiplayer games. Zelda I regret buying digital, the DLC was kinda meh and I never finished the game (but got most of the shrines cleared).
Yep, liking the game obviously is mandatory for me before even considering buying it again digitally.

I love BotW, but I don't know if I love it 48€ much, lol. And yeah, the DLC was kinda disappointing to me as well. The base game is 10/10, the DLC more like a 7 imo.
But I'm no big DLC fan anyways. /shrug

The 39.99€ for Astral Chain are kind of tempting, though. Really liked the game. And I fear it won't ever drop to 30€ or lower on sale.

Is botw season pass worth it? Saw some negative feedback. I didnt play the base game yet, but i own the physical
Try the base game first, I'd say. If you like it, chances are high that you'll at least also enjoy the season pass content. To me it wasn't really worth the price, but that's obviously very much down to your individual view of how much bang for your buck you expect.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed it overall! The trials were fun IMO, although I never finished the final one. Lots of new outfits, some good QOL stuff, a motorcycle (!!) and the best boss in the game.

Tanooki

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Perhaps I'm slightly bias, since BOTW is my GOAT, but I absolutely loved the DLC, notably Champion's Ballad. It really brings the story together, and adds tons of QoL.

I'm almost tempted to say go for it simply because Hero's Path (shows a path of where you have been on the map) and the travel medallion almost feel essential. They aren't, but after playing the game for so long, I wouldn't really want to play it without those items.

I definitely suggest playing the game a bit this week to get a feel for how much you enjoy it and would be willing to sink in. The base game itself has hours upon hours of content and exploration, and feels complete even without the DLC. However, the amount of extra treats, challenges, and story you'll get with the DLC certainly adds a lot.

Side-note: the only time I've ever cried playing a game was the ending of the ending of Champion's Ballad. Happy tears, though! It felt so magical.

Deleted member 15123

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if Slay the Spire is actually going on sale? Nintendolife have it listed as part of the second wave of the European sale, but I don't see a discount on the shop.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The publisher is denying the date, btw. Will supposedly announce the date soon.
Can as easily be "Nintendo is wrong" as it is "We're not ready to reveal our release marketing plans yet". Hoping it is the latter.

On another topic, Civ 6 yay or nay on Switch? 50% off is tempting.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I don't need another game, I don't need another game... I'll see if anything else I need is on sale first today

You do need another game... :D

Rasec it's incredibly impressive it took you only 2 hours to beat it. It took me 68 attempts (a few were early missteps leading to restarts). The level is like 35 minutes long so that's a lot longer than 2 hours for me, even if I only made it 40-50% of the way in a lot of runs!

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017

I didn't like the champion's trial (1 hit death fuck that) much although it kinda makes sense as the ultimate challenge, but I enjoyed the other new quests/shrines.

My journey with BOTW was weird. Grabbed it on WiiU. Played 10 hours and loved it, so I grabbed a Switch (I didn't care a lot for the console, now it's my fav ever tied with the SFC) and started again, played for another 40 hours then got stuck on a puzzle inside the Gerudo champ's beast. It gave me motion sickness (Water Temple on OOT/TP do the same, weird!) after a couple hours going around in the maze-like structure. So I dropped it with the intention of looking at a how-to video to complete the puzzle and fight resident Calamity Ganon's form ;)

...a whole year went by, when I picked it up again (exited the beast without beating it still) and dropped it again after 4 hours because I was fed-up with the cooking (I REALLY don't like how prominent it is and how much time you spend cooking, should have been more streamlined and quick) and wasn't a fan of weaponry's durability.

Then last month a couple of YouTube videos of BOTW high level play somehow showed up in my feed. Watched them. They were so hype that they reignited my interest in the game. Looked at a couple no-spoiler videos and I realized my approach to cooking was wrong (still don't enjoy the process mind you) and especially my approach to weapons had been wrong... yeah, you can say I had been playing the game wrong.

I found the game's heart, how truly special and FUN it can be, and played 105 hours more in a matter of 4 weeks which is totally unheard of for me (42yo with lots responsibilities). It was the ONLY game I played (this also never happens), I was almost obsessed with it but it was an healthy obsession, satisfying and so much fun, full of surprises.

I think it's now in my top5 games EVER.

As for your question, the expansion pass, from my pow, really helped making the experience more enjoyable than it was before (sans expansion's QOF features).

I'd say it's worth it even if just for (above all) Hero Path, can't see myself playing the game without it honestly.
Furthermore, both the teleport/traveling Medallion and the ancient bridles to summon your horse are two abilities I wouldn't want to miss in my playthrough.

Mileage may vary, and I can see how some might be pissed hero path isn't simply included in the main game and I hear you, but I'm glad it's there even if it costs money.

Last edited:

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
it's fantastic, you just have to know what is in it and if you liked that stuff in the main game (limited resource encounter puzzle rooms in the trials of the sword part and then some more specific challenges and a new divine-beast-like dungeon rounded out with some new really neat cutscenes, plus some general like the playtime/route tracker)

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
I'm still slowly making my way through The Messenger. I've now reached the infamous "second half" which isn't annoying me too much so far..

A couple of the boss fights have had me screaming at the screen in frustration 😆
I just bought it on PS4 along with the free DLC. Knowing everything about the game, I'm keeping my expectations in check so I don't get disappointed. Most of the gaming podcasts I've listened to all agree that the game loses steam in the second half.

The BoTW Expansion Pass discussion has been fascinating. I've been tempted to start it since it's been sitting in my drawer since November sealed. Plus watching Brad Shoemaker go back to his record after a year and an AGDQ speedrun piqued my interest.

The general consensus seems to be to buy the Expansion Pass first for people starting it for the first time because of all the improvements added to the game. Maybe I'll use my gold coins for it since the Expansion Pass probably won't be on sale until Black Friday again at this point. Otherwise, I have too many games on my plate at the moment.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
I get it.
The 2 things that helped me were:

1. Faster travel which you get with the horse from the stable, and making coffee after you start growing coffee beans. Together, these have given the day a bit more space to breathe but yeah you have to prioritize and there isn't enough time to do everything in one day. I usually pick a couple days a week to give out gifts, a couple to forage aroubd the nap, and a couple to mine. I do my farm stuff then go straight to doing EGS tracer I have planned for the rest of the day. Over time, this worked great for me as I have gotten a lot accomplished but in smaller chunks :)

2. There are around 7 star drops in the game, which when eaten, increase your max energy permanently. In the beginning, I was like you - after farming I was over half done with my energy which severely limited what else I could do. I can't prove this to you, but after getting a few of those, I don't think I have run out of energy ever. It gets to the point where you have too much - no lie!!

Couple other things: foraging for fruits will get you energy/health items:
Salmon berries 3 days in spring and blackberries 3 days in fall, grow on bushes all over and you can get hundreds! A lot of forage stuff increases energy.
Field Snack: you can craft this with 1 each of acorn, maple seed, pine cone. Which you get from chopping trees and using the hoe to get them out of the ground. I LIVED on these for a long time and they served me well
Lastly, you will be able to build sprinklers eventually and since I did they, I almost NEVER have to water anything. They are truly a Gabe changer.

All of this may just not be for you though and that's ok. I was like you for hours in the beginning. It was demoralizing but over time things started falling in place and now I just don't have to wiry about energy which is huge.
Get a horse.
Make coffee (eventually)
Forage
Pick 1 activity to do per day
Get Stardrops

If you persevere, the above will get you to a new "Phase" of the game. It's a long game but I well and truly got HOOKED!!!

Regardless, I am glad you tried it out! I hope you don't regret the time you spent as I don't want to waste anyone's time :)

Hey Mudo ! Quoting your message here from the Switch March 2020 thread just to share my progress.

I dropped the game after 8 hours of play for all the reasons I mentioned you last month, and recently went back to it during bed time after being exhausted of playing too much Ring Fit Adventure haha.

Well, you'll be surprise but I now love the game way more! I went to the cave to grind some money and stuff, and having new tools, I need way less energy to progress overall, and do daily tasks, on top of automating other farming tasks to progress further more.

I also find a public bath which restore the energy when needed, which has been a game changer as I didn't need more money to buy fruits & so, unless I'm exploring too far and can't go back to the bath before midnight hits.

Last night, I spent 4 more hours into the game without realizing it, and can't wait to go back tonight to progress even more! I hope the enthusiasm will last.

So yeah, it was just to give you a quick update and tell you that I understand now we can feel hooked in the most pleasant way by this game! 😄

Rasec

Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
You do need another game... :D

Rasec it's incredibly impressive it took you only 2 hours to beat it. It took me 68 attempts (a few were early missteps leading to restarts). The level is like 35 minutes long so that's a lot longer than 2 hours for me, even if I only made it 40-50% of the way in a lot of runs!

I guess it's mainly because i like really hard platformers and me being stubborn to do 100% on them also helps to get some practice.
I guess the harder time i had to complete a platformer was with "The End is Nigh".
The gameplay on that one was perfect for me but the end level stuff was super hard.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Hey Mudo ! Quoting your message here from the Switch March 2020 thread just to share my progress.

I dropped the game after 8 hours of play for all the reasons I mentioned you last month, and recently went back to it during bed time after being exhausted of playing too much Ring Fit Adventure haha.

Well, you'll be surprise but I now love the game way more! I went to the cave to grind some money and stuff, and having new tools, I need way less energy to progress overall, and do daily tasks, on top of automating other farming tasks to progress further more.

I also find a public bath which restore the energy when needed, which has been a game changer as I didn't need more money to buy fruits & so, unless I'm exploring too far and can't go back to the bath before midnight hits.

Last night, I spent 4 more hours into the game without realizing it, and can't wait to go back tonight to progress even more! I hope the enthusiasm will last.

So yeah, it was just to give you a quick update and tell you that I understand now we can feel hooked in the most pleasant way by this game! 😄

that is awesome!
I dropped it too years ago and then a few months ago it just clicked...ive got 159 hours now and not done.
The longer you play the less energy is a concern.
You will get Stardrops, horse, bath, foods etc and get to the point where you just won't ever run out again :)

If you have any questions feel free to ask away!

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
I have seen that the DK DLC for mario rabbids is on sale
Is this additional part accessible only after having defeated the main boss of the basic adventure?

You actually access it from the main menu.
It's a side story taking place between World 1 and World 2 on the main campaign.

So you don't need to have beaten the main campaign to start playing it, only the 1st World.

And it's great, on par with the best worlds from the main game. DK also adds new mechanics that make the game a bit more strategic (if you want) in movement's choice and jumps/team jumps.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
The longer you play the less energy is a concern.

Definitely, I feel like this should be advertised at the beginning of the game: I have many friends who dropped the game as well because of this, and I have the feeling that if everyone knew it would be totally fine after eight difficult hours and more enjoyable, they would keep going with the flow. ^^

If you have any questions feel free to ask away!

I won't hesitate, thanks!

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
You actually access it from the main menu.
It's a side story taking place between World 1 and World 2 on the main campaign.

So you don't need to have beaten the main campaign to start playing it, only the 1st World.

And it's great, on par with the best worlds from the main game. DK also adds new mechanics that make the game a bit more strategic (if you want) in movement's choice and jumps/team jumps.

Thanks!
Downloaded

Is it true that also splatoon 2 dlc is a great single player experience?

Allyougame

Oct 25, 2017
To recap:

In the UK and presumably-related regions, there's been a 30/33% off sale for Dragon Quest Builders 2 (mid-Nov), Dragon Quest XI S (early Jan), Fire Emblem: Three Houses (mid-Feb), and now Astral Chain.

From Nintendo of America, absolutely nothing for any of these games. Mind you, after inexplicably ending the voucher promotion far sooner than the other major territories. Consistently delivering embarrassingly poor if not non-existent video marketing/resources from their Youtube channel among other sources. Having to hope time and again that maybe they just might muster up the effort and resources to possibly deliver more than the pathetic bare minimum and not be completely tone-deaf while doing it.

Why support this company, I wonder?

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
On another topic, Civ 6 yay or nay on Switch? 50% off is tempting.

I think it's a good port, considering the target hardware. The initial loading time of a campaign is a bit long, and AI turns late-game takes a while. But other than that, I think it plays great. The post-release support for the game has been really good IMO.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I just picked up Invisigun Reloaded and Pocket Mini Golf for 99 cents each which I just used gold coins for.

Heard good things about Invisigun Reloaded and I'm a sucker for those mini-golf games so even though it looks like a phone game I couldn't help it since it's only a buck. lol

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Why does NoA suck so bad at sales? At this point I just assume we won't get whatever sales other regions are getting.

I don't know if they're going to update the eshop later, but there's a digital code sale... but from B&M retailers/Amazon.

Like Amazon and I think Gamestop have BOTW, Splatoon 2, Octopath, DKC Freeze, Kirby Star Allies on sale: the digital codes.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Vigor is growing on me. I like that I can just loot and not have to fight people.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
How does the Trine games run?

Sadly a bit laggy and less than ideal. I love the series and wanted to double dip on Switch, but I'd just replay on PS4.

Though I only tested docked and not portable. Very possible to condition as well as its not horrendous or unplayable by any stretch. Just not as solid.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Sadly a bit laggy and less than ideal. I love the series and wanted to double dip on Switch, but I'd just replay on PS4.

Though I only tested docked and not portable. Very possible to condition as well as its not horrendous or unplayable by any stretch. Just not as solid.
I own the first 2 on PC, so I was just gonna double dip since it's so cheap but I guess I'll pass. Thanks.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
So as a new Switch owner, what are some must-have eShop exclusives for the Switch? I'm looking for exclusive Switch games that are digital only.

(Also I guess eShop games that are on other platforms but have some exclusive Switch content can also count, ex: I have Hyper Light Drifter SE).

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It happened again. Chasm went on sale a few days after I bought it.

My precious coins, sacrificed for nothing.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently Australia didn't get the rest of the Europe sale. What gives?

Although we did get that extra Yooka Laylee Impossible Lair sale (for owners of the original). Now I feel like buying the first wasn't a waste after I dropped it without finishing.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
So as a new Switch owner, what are some must-have eShop exclusives for the Switch? I'm looking for exclusive Switch games that are digital only.

(Also I guess eShop games that are on other platforms but have some exclusive Switch content can also count, ex: I have Hyper Light Drifter SE).
Golf Story was the first must-have Eshop exclusive!

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
Heard good things about Invisigun Reloaded and I'm a sucker for those mini-golf games so even though it looks like a phone game I couldn't help it since it's only a buck.

I'm also quickly hooked and in need of Golf game ahah, so how is the one you bought?

I might jump back to Golf Story just to get my Golf fix, but if the one you're playing is good, I might change my mind and buy it!

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Underhero is 30% off at $11 and change. Nearly done with it and it's an easy recommend at full price. It's gotta be one of the most overlooked Indies this year.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Underhero is 30% off at $11 and change. Nearly done with it and it's an easy recommend at full price. It's gotta be one of the most overlooked Indies this year.

It feels like it's been on sale since it hit the eShop.

I hope it does better. It's been criminally overlooked.

Status
Not open for further replies.