• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will the next Direct have Breath Of The Wild 2 news?

• Yes

Votes: 374 56.8%
  • No

Votes: 285 43.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Of course it is my opinion, it is something that doesn´t convince me at this point.

Let´s suppose something that is not going to happen obviously. Let´s say that we are in January or February 2021 and Nintendo hasn´t released any major game yet. People keep saying that "Nintendo released Animal Crossing x months ago". Do you still personally see it as a valid argument in any conversation regarding Switch´s schedule of releases? (I am not talking about comparisons with Wii U here because it is true that a title like New Horizons can mark a console lifetime).

Well, I guess the answer is no.

So for me almost three months of reading it is more than enough already.

What? Are you asking me, if in some hypothetical world Nintendo doesn't release any other games after PM in July until January or February, will I still defend their 2020 because of Animal Crossing? Of course not! But that's an absurd scenario and not remotely similar to what is currently happening.

I'm really having a hard time following your argument here to be honest.

Well you guys have spent all year saying "no Bayonetta 3, no No More Heroes 3, no Splatoon 3", so what does that leave? Pikmin 4? An AAA game from NST? (LOL)

"You guys" is not me, or even many of us. I still think NMH3 is launching this year but that's not even going to be published by Nintendo (right?) so that's moot.

As for what else they could have I have no idea, but that doesn't mean there's nothing. It's not like all 11 EPD teams are constantly just sitting on their thumbs. I'm sure EPD9 in particular has something ready for this year.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
At 0 moment BOTW goes at the speed that the intro of that Ratchet trailer goes, at 0 moment BOTW goes from one location with a ton of assets to another one with totally different assets, with a lot of particles everywhere.
It's just crazy impressive, this is next gen. That's the biggest wow moment of the event, and it was a big one.
100% true and a fair point, but like, how many games are going to jump dimensions now? You're not going to get a grand swell of it; it works for Ratchet. And I liked what I saw for Ratchet, and will likely play it. My point remains that most things are possible if you change your thinking at the conceptual level.

I went back and re-checked the original trailer, and technically most elements featured in the final game also appear in the first trailer. It's just that they're presented in a way that communicates a completely different vibe from 'Bethesda first-person game, but with ninpo arts'. As a big fan of TEW, I was expecting something more in-line with that, sadly.
I was too. It was a real shame.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this thread will be in denial of more games coming up until one is announced, then go back to denial right after its announced unil the next one, et cetera up until next year

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
As someone that loves both Xenoblade and Twilight Princess, this comparison between their remasters is painful.

Both are pretty significant Nintendo releases

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
because people forget a lot about it as it came out so shortly after announcement. I'd normally be like "freaking shame, PMD is great" as one who considers Super to be the best game in history, but TBH, even I found DX bland and forgettable. They barely improved the presentation and the music uses chiptunes way too much when it could have had a full orchestra. Disappointing compared to more modern remakes like Ys Memories Of Celceta that reinvent the plot and add new stuff entirely.
That wasn't the point I was making. More like some titles are ignored for no valid reason.

PMD is most likely gonna outsell XCDE, I feel.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
What? Are you asking me, if in some hypothetical world Nintendo doesn't release any other games after PM in July until January or February, will I still defend their 2020 because of Animal Crossing? Of course not! But that's an absurd scenario and not remotely similar to what is currently happening.

I'm really having a hard time following your argument here to be honest.
Dude, that´s why I wrote "Let´s suppose something that is not going to happen obviously." lmao

To sum up: you are able to accept that justification longer than I am.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
At 0 moment BOTW goes at the speed that the intro of that Ratchet trailer goes, at 0 moment BOTW goes from one location with a ton of assets to another one with totally different assets, with a lot of particles everywhere.
It's just crazy impressive, this is next gen. That's the biggest wow moment of the event, and it was a big one.
Nintendo won't join that party until... next gen

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
I love sales discussion as much as the next person, but I think it's fair to state that a games "importance" is not always directly proportional to its sales - for example, Super Metroid was clearly a beloved and influential game, but in terms of sales would be considered "less important" than Imagine Babyz on Wii...

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
But what are we realistically expecting in those six months outside of a few Mario remasters?

Twilight Princess is way more of a bigger deal than Xenoblade was....if anything the "cannot compare" argument should be the other way around....
Are you really telling me you can't fathom unannounced games getting announced?
Ok guys Xenoblade is bigger than Zelda now
Please don't take a sales comparison of a game released on the deathbed of a barely even alive console to a game released on a runaway success in its prime to be representative of their IPs.
Pray tell what else is due?
New games?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Arguing "will people be happy with Nintendo's 2020 if Nintendo doesn't release any games after Paper Mario until January/February" as a hypothetical makes zero sense. People would obviously be disappointed with that.

Agreed and it's very sad. It's becoming unacceptable
They've only been working on Metroid for a year, so that's obviously a few years away.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Hostility
Of course it is my opinion, it is something that doesn´t convince me at this point.

Let´s suppose something that is not going to happen obviously. Let´s say that we are in January or February 2021 and Nintendo hasn´t released any major game yet. People keep saying that "Nintendo released Animal Crossing x months ago". Do you still personally see it as a valid argument in any conversation regarding Switch´s schedule of releases? (I am not talking about comparisons with Wii U here because it is true that a title like New Horizons can mark a console lifetime).

Well, I guess the answer is no.

So for me almost three months of reading it is more than enough already.
The way you frame it is quite interesting. 'Excuse' and '3 months'

It's not an excuse and if you've been tired of hearing it for 3 months, it would suggest to me, you would have considered it an 'excuse' the day the game was released. And that really says more about where your coming from than anything else.

And You know, if you are so confident about this, you could have just waited till September or November to gloat when it's clear they have nothing to announce.
But I suspect you know full well the conversation would have moved on to something else by then and you are not going to be right on this, so since is PS5 reveal week and you are unstandably on a high, why not troll for a bit, get your dopomine high and then disown your position like everyone does when their hot takes don't pan out.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
Are you really telling me you can't fathom unannounced games getting announced?

Please don't take a sales comparison of a game released on the deathbed of a barely even alive console to a game released on a runaway success in its prime to be representative of their IPs.

New games?

If the games announced years ago are all looking suspect or written off for 2020, and if there's only one consistently rumoured game that hasn't been announced, you surely have to agree that things aren't looking too optimistic.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Given the history of Ys IV that was required. They would probably just make a new Mystery Dungeon over that.

Oh yeah, with PMD1's story being consistent I expected it to stay the same, but I hoped for new stuff to be added to bridge gaps here and there, and answer questions the fanbase have had about certain aspects of lore for a while now. But they just did 1:1 and fixed a flaw people had with the postgame feeling lifeless and that was it. Kinda was at least hoping for the fantastic Emera system to return from SMD, but they didn't even do that, which hurt the strategic nature a huge amount. It's better than the OG due to fixing the clunk factor from the game... But Super overcomes it anyday of the week, and I was hoping they'd make the ULTIMATE PMD again instead of just RT, but prettier.

"They barely improved the presentation" ?

The game was a clear step up in presentation and the artstyle was fantastic. The remade cutscenes added a lot of flavor to the game too.

I mean, maybe? Super did a lot of impressive things too, and the OST in that was godly: So much to the point I feel it's a crime that TPC has never put any of the PMD soundtracks on an official CD. Pretty much everything was as high as it could be, so I hoped for a PMD1 remake, it would be all the greatness of super... and more.

Instead, we got RT with the same darn models from Super, a soundtrack that sounds worse than Super's despite being on a system that could support some amazing surround sound experiences and a full orchestra/fully remixed score, and a weird shading filter that looks either really decent in some scenes, or just bland. I honestly hate to use this phrase, but to me it just "looks like a 3DS game" that was ported to Switch when the system was dying. They could have gone with fully animated cutscenes or at least scenes as pretty as in Explorers, but they just look kinda awkward instead. Being the first PMD I lost interest in beating, that kinda hurts bad for me, since PMD is my favorite series and RT changed my life back in the day. Now it's just... OK, and the remake feels like just a stopgap rather than the ultimate vision of the first game.

Since people are comparing things to 2016-nintendo here, I'd say it's akin to Twilight Princess HD: Fine remake that polishes things, but a lot of stuff remains the same, including the music, and the presentation isn't as upgraded as it could have been (like with WWHD). Good pick to buy for newcomers, but disappointing for those hoping for a much more bigger change.

So yeah, for me the only game in 2020 that I felt was worthwhile from Nintendo was Tokyo Mirage... a (good) port. Kinda interested in clubhouse games, but I'm concerned it'll be more out of desperation for something nintendo-like than because I want to play it. I am very excited for Origami King though, so here's hoping that does a good job for the second half of the year.

But man... No E3 this year really sucks. It's sad having nothing major from Nintendo to look forward to this time of year and I hate the uncertainty of not knowing what will even launch in a mere two-three months from now. :| Hoping for third party stuff too but even THOSE are MIA for Q3 somehow and stuff is either end of the year or 2021 now. It's very frustrating. I realllllly hope we at least get an august game announced before the September Direct.

MusicProposition

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
I really can't get over the fact that some people really think we're going the rest of the year with no new first party games.
I mean...they could just announce them, that would certainly make it easier.
Its pretty obvious that the second half of this year won't be totally incredible, because we just don't know a single thing
I'm not expecting them to reveal a 10/10 lineup out of nowhere after such a bare first half.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
If the games announced years ago are all looking suspect or written off for 2020, and if there's only one consistently rumoured game that hasn't been announced, you surely have to agree that things aren't looking too optimistic.
I see this song and dance every year.

Things are looking fine. They won't be launching as many games as Sony, but they don't need to. And yes, we'll get something insiders haven't mentioned yet.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Its pretty obvious that the second half of this year won't be totally incredible, because we just don't know a single thing
I'm not expecting them to reveal a 10/10 lineup out of nowhere after such a bare first half.
Was this first half really *that* bare by Nintendo standards?

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017

It's not an excuse and if you've been tired of hearing it for 3 months, it would suggest to me, you would have considered it an 'excuse' the day the game was released. And that really says more about where your coming from than anything else.

And You know, if you are so confident about this, you could have just waited till September or November to gloat when it's clear they have nothing to announce.
But I suspect you know full well the conversation would have moved on to something else by then and you are not going to be right on this, so since is PS5 reveal week and you are unstandably on a high, why not troll for a bit, get your dopomine high and then disown your position like everyone does when their hot takes don't pan out.
If you don´t like my opinion or the way I express it you can just ignore me. There´s no need to be hostile when I haven´t been with anyone.

You don´t know shit about me nor where "I come from". Who the fuck gives you the right to wrongly suppose so much about me?

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017

Maybe people need to re watch that trailer / gameplay - there were transition scenes in between every major (purple) "warp". They weren't long but still there no different to masking loads times by pushing through a small gap in Tomb Raider etc. Then the gameplay section you were just warping to different parts of the same area (yellow) which loads of games already do (e.g Dishonered blink ability).

Are people seeing something different to me lol

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I´m sorry you don´t understand me and I can´t explain myself better.

I just wanted to use an absurd example to illustrate how after certain time you would also stop accepting that argument. For me that time has already come.

Here's where the disconnect is:

Your initial argument was that people saying "Nintendo released ACNH 3 months ago" to counter the argument that Nintendo's output this year was Wii U level was getting ridiculous.

I'm trying to tell you that even if an argument is related a lot that doesn't make it any less valid.

Then you came up with some completely unrelated scenario where Nintendo goes 6-7 months without a single release, and you ask me if I'd still say ACNH is a reason why this isn't a Wii U level year, to which the answer is obviously no.

You don't see why that's an insane comparison? If we get a decently steady stream of releases from July through November it will wind up being a decent year. That's obviously not just because of ACNH, it's because it will be a steady stream of releases.

It would look worse if Nintendo was not a company that constantly announces games extremely close to release, even moreso during a global pandemic.

batrush

Nov 4, 2017
Hopefully there's a nintendo direct soon. If there's no SMT5 info I'm selling off my switch while the prices are high now since it's just been collecting dust since launch.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017

You may be completely mislead by my avatar and it only talks about how prejudiced you are. I have more messages than you in this thread and folks around here can tell if I am a regular user or not. Get a life dude.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
It would look worse if Nintendo was not a company that constantly announces games extremely close to release, even moreso during a global pandemic.
This. Paper Mario wasn't even heavily rumored until the end of March - before that the only person talking about it was Zippo. It had a mere 6 weeks from common rumor to announcement.

I can't understand why people think we know everything already.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
No More Heroes 3 is still not a first party game

It's not but it's most likely funded by Nintendo. Neither GungHo or Marvelous capable of funding such big project (GungHo is pretty much unrelated to the game), Nintendo has definitely helped the project financially. I think same has happened with Deadly premonition 2 too, considering Swery has kickstarted his other game.

brykuhn91

Oct 27, 2017
I will not judge Nintendo's 2020 until the year is over, but I do dislike this strategy of announcing games one at a time and with no idea of when they will be announced. I understand why with the pandemic going on, but I still dislike it.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
Monolith-Soft_08-20-17_001.jpg

I've wept for what seems like an eternity. It's time to reveal this future masterpiece.😭
I voted "cancelled" in that poll. :( I hope I'm wrong, would love Monolithsoft to have more than Xenoblade. If this is the style the next Xenoblade that's cool but I would like them to have more than one IP.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I liked PMDRTDX more than Super, but a lot of that was Super's difficulty feeling kinda unfair at part (DX kinda goes the opposite direction and is probably too easy, but I guess I like that in a Pokemon game). I don't remember all of the details of the original but just being able to map attacks to the four face buttons was a huge QOL improvement that I don't remember being in the first game, along with some other things.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Hasn't it kinda been hammered home by now that Nintendo is holding its announcements to the last minute because there is a global pandemic fucking with their development and marketing capabilities?

It really feels like a lot of you guys have forgotten this, or choose to ignore it for some reason. You'd think Paper Mario being a July game instead of being saved for the Fall would reinforce the idea that they have a good enough lineup for the Fall without it.

Like, remember back in January and February when people thought this H1 was incredibly weak? Well now it's probably gonna wind up being their strongest H1 since 2017, we just had to wait for the game announcements. That will be the case for H2 too.

I will not judge Nintendo's 2020 until the year is over, but I do dislike this strategy of announcing games one at a time and with no idea of when they will be announced. I understand why with the pandemic going on, but I still dislike it.

Yep, 100% agreed. I understand it but dislike it too.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
I voted "cancelled" in that poll. :( I hope I'm wrong, would love Monolithsoft to have more than Xenoblade. If this is the style the next Xenoblade that's cool but I would like them to have more than one IP.

It would be very unusual for it to be canceled. There's been a lot of speculation that Production Group 2 is working on an original project as their main project while also acting as codevelopers for BOTW2. It seems like they are replacing Production Group 1 (Xenoblade) as the codeveloper for Zelda games.

I wouldn't expect it to look like anything from the fantasy artwork shared on the site. Sadly, they're not even concept artwork.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
What a hype day! Now I just need Persona 4G on Switch this weekend or sometime next week, thank you very much. Do me this one solid, Nintendo.

Aug 12, 2019
To be fair. Sony has been silent for over 2 years so Nintendo is actually looking weak compared to them when it comes to being slient lol
This event is the first time Sony have announced new major first party titles since 2017, with most of these games likely not even making it to market until late 2021-early 2022 and that's reflective of Nintendo being weak... how?

I meant Nintendo being weak in regards to not being able to really get a consistent flow of information going post COVID. More so that Sony, despite everything going on, still managed to pull out an impressive first presentation of the PS5 with high production values across the board. Obviously I know that Sony has been building to this moment and that they're showing more off to customers than just the immediate future with titles that are going to be releasing across the next year or two, but I think my point still stands that they managed to still pull off this fairly impressive display of titles all while working towards a major console launch that has undoubtedly been affected by COVID in major ways as well (manufacturing for the consoles, their much larger reliance on big budget titles with larger staffs that require motion capture and such, etc.).

Whereas Nintendo cancelled any plans they had for presentations outright and have begun relying on limited Twitter for announcements, but hasn't really done much with that (of course I'm not going to count their chosen silence for the ongoing protests and support of the Black Lives Matter movement). It wouldn't have been as bad, except for the fact that Nintendo had also done very little to really promote much of a 2020 lineup before hand or give indications of where they were headed. That goes to demonstrate both how Nintendo's close to the chest mentality has a major downside and also that Nintendo does seem to just have been devastatingly unprepared for changes in their schedule. I understand fans are always going to be insatiable on a fundamental level, but people have legitimately been asking about 2020 for a full year since the last E3. September 2019's Direct did little to quell those fears, Nintendo leaned on third parties at The Game Awards, had no General Direct in 2020 until the Mini that apparently did not change at all from the original plans (which means Clubhouse Games was the one announcement they really had there). You would think they would finally have some sort of answer for 2020 and even beyond after all this time even if it does have to be altered and adjusted for our current reality.

I'm not trying to downplay the real impact I know COVID has had on tons of industries across the world as I'm keenly aware of it from personal experience and I know none of this is easy or even certain right now. But it also feels like the communication pipeline has more or less been sealed shut in comparison and has been for some time, and that feels like the opposite of what you want to be doing with a customer base. Communicating with customers feels more important than ever right now to me and the industry I work in as we try to navigate this world. Nintendo certainly isn't an essential service or anything, but it does feel like they've followed the worst impulse to play even closer to the chest instead.

Paper Wario

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I meant Nintendo being weak in regards to not being able to really get a consistent flow of information going post COVID. More so that Sony, despite everything going on, still managed to pull out an impressive first presentation of the PS5 with high production values across the board. Obviously I know that Sony has been building to this moment and that they're showing more off to customers than just the immediate future with titles that are going to be releasing across the next year or two, but I think my point still stands that they managed to still pull off this fairly impressive display of titles all while working towards a major console launch that has undoubtedly been affected by COVID in major ways as well (manufacturing for the consoles, their much larger reliance on big budget titles with larger staffs that require motion capture and such, etc.).

Whereas Nintendo cancelled any plans they had for presentations outright and have begun relying on limited Twitter for announcements, but hasn't really done much with that (of course I'm not going to count their chosen silence for the ongoing protests and support of the Black Lives Matter movement). It wouldn't have been as bad, except for the fact that Nintendo had also done very little to really promote much of a 2020 lineup before hand or give indications of where they were headed. That goes to demonstrate both how Nintendo's close to the chest mentality has a major downside and also that Nintendo does seem to just have been devastatingly unprepared for changes in their schedule. I understand fans are always going to be insatiable on a fundamental level, but people have legitimately been asking about 2020 for a full year since the last E3. September 2019's Direct did little to quell those fears, Nintendo leaned on third parties at The Game Awards, had no General Direct in 2020 until the Mini that apparently did not change at all from the original plans (which means Clubhouse Games was the one announcement they really had there). You would think they would finally have some sort of answer for 2020 and even beyond after all this time even if it does have to be altered and adjusted for our current reality.

I'm not trying to downplay the real impact I know COVID has had on tons of industries across the world as I'm keenly aware of it from personal experience and I know none of this is easy or even certain right now. But it also feels like the communication pipeline has more or less been sealed shut in comparison and has been for some time, and that feels like the opposite of what you want to be doing with a customer base. Communicating with customers feels more important than ever right now to me and the industry I work in as we try to navigate this world. Nintendo certainly isn't an essential service or anything, but it does feel like they've followed the worst impulse to play even closer to the chest instead.
Do you think the lack of communication is currently impacting their business negatively?

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Im getting the feel that R&C will be like Infamous: Second Son, really average game used mostly to showcase next gen graphics/tech

Status
Not open for further replies.