• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
I understand. My criticism and a lot of people's problem with it, is it's arbitrary and to be honest, anything over 10 million is pretty big for Nintendo given the steep drop off in sales once you exit the Mario and Pokemon tier games. Zelda routinely struggle to even hit 8-9 million for example and that is one of Nintendo's key core franchises, regardless of how well it sold. They've launched 2 consoles with it.

I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but what your saying doesn't make sense, especially arbitrarily drawing lines based on units sold, and especially looking at Wii /DS top 10 sales. Those were abberations because a lot of casual games did really really well, but they are not really key franchises for Nintendo.

I said that Animal Crossing is big IP, but that cant be compared to real "mega-successful franchise" like IPs I mentioned and that something like that could be said only for those IPs, and my main point is that Animal Crossing only now with New Horizons is becoming "mega-successful franchise", because in worst case it will be 20m+ and most likely will be 30m+ seller.

I mentioned Wii and DS because games I mentioned sold best on those platforms, same like I did for AC, those AC games sold best on 3DS and DS,
dont forget, AC sold 2.3m on GC and 4.3m on Wii.

SerKwak

Apr 6, 2018
Due to an important project deadline at work I have not been able to follow the rumors as closely lately. I understand that there was supposed to be a Mario event in April including game announcements (3D Mario collection, 3D world and possibly others). This has obviously and understandably been canned due to COVId-19. For the rest I read that we should not expect new game announcements from Nintendo for a very long time? I guess due to delays also caused by COVID-19? Hopefully we learn a little bit more during the (canceled) E3 period. Still have a large backlog so I am good for a while yet!

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder what Feral is doing for Switch right now. They delivered two of the best ports last year. NateDrake said they were not working on anything after Alien but they teased new projects for Switch at their AMA. They don't seem to be doing anything for other platforms too atm. They should get a deal with Square and bring the games like Sleeping Dogs and Deus Ex to Switch.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
I see iQue have cropped up again. Given they've shifted to a support role for EPD, my assumption was that they might be involved in the Super Mario All-Stars package.

That's quite possible. I guess it depends on the nature of this new "Mario All-Stars" game. I'm very curious to see the first title they contribute to.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Due to an important project deadline at work I have not been able to follow the rumors as closely lately. I understand that there was supposed to be a Mario event in April including game announcements (3D Mario collection, 3D world and possibly others). This has obviously and understandably been canned due to COVId-19. For the rest I read that we should not expect new game announcements from Nintendo for a very long time? I guess due to delays also caused by COVID-19? Hopefully we learn a little bit more during the (canceled) E3 period. Still have a large backlog so I am good for a while yet!
First part - that there was a Mario event planned for last week which is no longer happening - seems to be true based on what Nate and Imran said.

There's zero proof we shouldn't expect announcements 'for a very long time', rather I think the implication was that rather than big, all-out Directs, we should expect Nintendo to continue with the steady drip of news we've had for the last few months. So maybe more game-specific events, Mini Directs, YouTube announcements seemed to be the idea. We might get a better sense next week, once Nintendo's results are out and they've briefed their investors/done the Q&A.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Can new Nintendo consoles even flop?
Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Open World Zelda, HD Pokemon, 3D Mario...
These all are guaranteed system sellers.

I also don't think Nintendo will ever do a marketing disaster like the WiiU ever again. They learned from their mistakes.

Of Course it can, but now when they have only one platform for supporting and now when they learned they leson with Wii U, chances are smaller than ever that they will have floped hardware.

Wii U very is interesting example, because everything is done wrong around Wii U, going from initial reveal, name, marketing, launch, 1st year lineup, concept, price point, timing...only thing that is done good with Wii U are great games, but even that was problem because all real big and system seller games came on Wii U when Wii U already fail.

Wii U failed mainly for reasons not to do with its games. Hardware, marketing, no third party support, etc.

Mario Kart 8 is the best selling game on Switch, I don't think this has anything to do with the games themselves.

Also, DKTF is tied for my favorite game of the gen and 3D World is maybe my favorite Mario game. Though it did have some droughts later on, the actual games were a lot of fun for me.

A year after the Wii U launched we already had 3D World which imo is maybe the best Mario game. By the next year we had DKTF which is one of my favorite games of the gen, Mario Kart 8 and Smash 4 which are also a lot of fun. There was also WW HD which if it was on the Switch people would be acting like it was a brand new game. Only 2 years in and we already had some great games, I think if anything the second half of the console is when the droughts started coming.

I can't relate at all to this, since I like DKTF more than any Switch game and prefer 3D World to Odyssey. Smash Ultimate and AC NH are really good, but they're the only Switch exclusives I really like, and they came much after that "9 month" period. BotW was both a Wii U and Switch game, and Mario Kart 8 (the best selling Switch game) was a Wii U game. That basically just leaves Mario Odyssey which was a disappointment to me.

One of key reasons why Wii U failed are games, no only that Wii U didnt had system seller game for launch, but didnt had system seller game for almost hole year, and hole point about Nintendo hardware is system seller Nintendo exclusive game.

Wii U had some great games later, but point is that all those great and real system seller games come when Wii U already failed and already was widely considered for failed console in its 1st year. Huge and great games like 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, Mario Maker, Smash Bros..all come to Wii U when they couldnt change nothing really, but things would be definitely at least little different if for instance Mario 3D World was launch title, than you have Mario Kart 8 few months after that, than Splatoon or Mario Maker...thats in same time one of main reason why Switch was hit out of gate, huge system seller game at launch, followed by other system seller games (Zelda BotW, MK8D, Splatoon 2, Odyssey).

Thats a point, Mario Kart 8D is best selling Switch game and strong system seller game despite its Wii U port, because its great game on very popular system.

Last edited:

SerKwak

Apr 6, 2018
First part - that there was a Mario event planned for last week which is no longer happening - seems to be true based on what Nate and Imran said.

There's zero proof we shouldn't expect announcements 'for a very long time', rather I think the implication was that rather than big, all-out Directs, we should expect Nintendo to continue with the steady drip of news we've had for the last few months. So maybe more game-specific events, Mini Directs, YouTube announcements seemed to be the idea. We might get a better sense next week, once Nintendo's results are out and they've briefed their investors/done the Q&A.

Thanks for the clarification :) ! I love Directs but other means of announcing games is fine by me! Looking forward to what Nintendo has in store for us this year despite the potential delays. Let's wait and see :)

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Realistically, I don't think people should be expecting anything beyond what we've seen in the past few years in regards to Nintendo's western development efforts. Tanabe will keep working with Retro and Next Level Games and Production Group 2 probably has more smaller projects with NST and indies in store.

I obviously think it would be smart of Sakamoto and Nintendo to maintain their relationship with MercurySteam but there's no way to know how interested either party is. For some long-term meaningful change, I still think their American and European branches would have to be given way more autonomy in pursuing development projects by themselves. Unless NCL lets go of the leashes a little bit, they aren't going to fundamentally change.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Talking about Nintendo games, personally, for rest of the year I would be satisfied only with those rumored Mario games and Pikmin 3 DX,
while MPT HD would be huge bonus. :)

SerKwak

Apr 6, 2018
Talking about Nintendo games, personally, for rest of the year I would be satisfied only with those rumored Mario games and Pikmin 3 DX,
while MPT HD would be huge bonus. :)

A MPT HD on top of all the others you mention would be amazing! If it includes as teaser for Pikmin 4 I will scream out loud of sheer happiness.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
A MPT HD on top of all the others you mention would be amazing! If it includes as teaser for Pikmin 4 I will scream out loud of sheer happiness.

Yeah, MPT HD is a stretch because some insiders said it will not be out soon, but now when they have some delays because COVID19, MPT HD was maybe almost finishedand maybe they will push it for earlier release instead some other delayed game.
I do think when they announce Pikmin 3 DX with release date, they will announce Pikmin 4 in same time.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
That Indivisible news is really shitty, and once again, it's 505 games fucking it up for Switch owners :/

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Unless NCL lets go of the leashes a little bit, they aren't going to fundamentally change.
Ufff, RIP any potential change. Switch era Nintendo has done and achieved a lot of cool and new things so far, but this one's probably the closest to being impossible to do.

PlayStation to me seems to be the only one that has three big departments operating in relative autonomy right now. Neither Nintendo nor Microsoft do this in a comparable manner, though MS at least started establishing a JP branch meant to operate on its own mostly.

Poor NoA and NoE, operating as marketing and localization divisions.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Realistically, I don't think people should be expecting anything beyond what we've seen in the past few years in regards to Nintendo's western development efforts.

Oh, I'm not expecting anything to change.

Whether it's in Japan or Europe or the Americas, it definitely feels like Nintendo could stand to increase their development efforts, though. The dream that Nintendo unifying their development efforts on a single platform would lead to a more constant stream of games seems to have...not quite panned out, and what's more worrying is that they seem reliant on quick Wii U ports that sell like new games to fill the holes in their schedule, and that won't last forever.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Realistically, I don't think people should be expecting anything beyond what we've seen in the past few years in regards to Nintendo's western development efforts. Tanabe will keep working with Retro and Next Level Games and Production Group 2 probably has more smaller projects with NST and indies in store.

I obviously think it would be smart of Sakamoto and Nintendo to maintain their relationship with MercurySteam but there's no way to know how interested either party is. For some long-term meaningful change, I still think their American and European branches would have to be given way more autonomy in pursuing development projects by themselves. Unless NCL lets go of the leashes a little bit, they aren't going to fundamentally change.

I think that's part of the equation a lot of people miss when they talk about Nintendo needing western studios. Silicon Knights, Monster, Factor 5, Rare also chose to move away from Nintendo. How many current western development studios would be happy to work on a platform with the power constraints of whatever the current Nintendo system is?

Even on an individual developer basis there would be the worry that it will hurt your job mobility as you won't be as familiar with the cutting edge techniques being used.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Even on an individual developer basis there would be the worry that it will hurt your job mobility as you won't be as familiar with the cutting edge techniques being used.

I mean, the counterpoint to this is that people don't seem to worry about going to work for studios that make games for other mobile platforms, despite those generally not being as technically cutting-edge as PC/console games.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Oh, i thought you were referencing something unknown in the "game confirmed for 2021"?
Istill don't understand but I better clarify.
I was talking about Cold Steel 4 being the obly game in the category of the OP and being happy how it was from a series I really appreciate.

Still, what does this chief sentence mean ? I'm curious. Some kind of meme or expression ?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the counterpoint to this is that people don't seem to worry about going to work for studios that make games for other mobile platforms, despite those generally not being as technically cutting-edge as PC/console games.

True, I would have said those are mostly indies wanting to get out of major development altogether but that's not really true any more.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
What happened? It's not releasing today?
You should check the thread about it, but to sum it up: Lab Zero wasn't aware of the release, it's apparently an old build missing stuff.
^This.
www.resetera.com

Indivisible for Switch is out now on the NA eShop (and today in EU and AUS) and with a 20% discount (in NA at least)

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/indivisible-switch/ Source for EU and AUS: https://gonintendo.com/stories/360068-eshop-listings-in-australia-and-europe-show-indivisible-hitting-s It is true, out of nowhere! Really bizarre but I'm super curious of how it turned out on Switch.

Really poor move, and even worse when you think about what they did with Bloodstained last time (waited until platform choice was locked before saying it was a bad port, late release, no budget in the port even though it was by far the biggest platform choice, etc).

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ufff, RIP any potential change. Switch era Nintendo has done and achieved a lot of cool and new things so far, but this one's probably the closest to being impossible to do.

PlayStation to me seems to be the only one that has three big departments operating in relative autonomy right now. Neither Nintendo nor Microsoft do this in a comparable manner, though MS at least started establishing a JP branch meant to operate on its own mostly.

Poor NoA and NoE, operating as marketing and localization divisions.

Goddamn it that hammer game really traumatized them that much huh?

I assume that the main issue here is basically what EatChildren brought up earlier in the thread. If you look at any Western developed, Nintendo published game in the last decade or so, maybe even longer, you'll see a ton of NCL staff in the credits, (assistant) producers, supervisors, coordinators, tech support, testers and so on. Just look at Tropical Freeze or Luigi's Mansion 3 for example. Basically everything they do is limited by how much those teams at EPD can handle at the same time and obviously the restrictions that come with remote cooperation. It's partly why I think that if Nintendo were to significantly expand, it would probably be in Japan just because it's simpler.

Oh, I'm not expecting anything to change.

Whether it's in Japan or Europe or the Americas, it definitely feels like Nintendo could stand to increase their development efforts, though. The dream that Nintendo unifying their development efforts on a single platform would lead to a more constant stream of games seems to have...not quite panned out, and what's more worrying is that they seem reliant on quick Wii U ports that sell like new games to fill the holes in their schedule, and that won't last forever.

Oh I absolutely agree. If nothing else, basing like 90% of your workforce in an ageing country doesn't seem to be the best idea in the long term.

But the unified development platform leading to more "constant" releases has always been something of a pipedream. That became even more obvious when they started supporting their games after their launch which they didn't really do all that much before.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
Istill don't understand but I better clarify.
I was talking about Cold Steel 4 being the obly game in the category of the OP and being happy how it was from a series I really appreciate.

Still, what does this chief sentence mean ? I'm curious. Some kind of meme or expression ?

Ohhhh I misunderstood the context then, haha.

Nah i was using "chief" as like a nickname expression, like "my dude"

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
The thing that has being true since the N64 days still persists: Always remember to not rely on Nintendo to provide all your gaming needs and always get a PlayStation.
eh.. depends the kind of person and your tastes in gaming. Nintendo has been my primerly and only choice since the Wii and I never felt missing much. On contrary, the generations that I had a PS1 and PS2, I was wishing I had a N64 and a GameCube instead

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
eh.. depends the kind of person and your tastes in gaming. Nintendo has been my primerly and only choice since the Wii and I never felt missing much. On contrary, the generations that I had a PS1 and PS2, I was wishing I had a N64 and a GameCube instead
i mean, i consider myself a stupidly huge nintendo fanboy since the very first time I saw a Mario game over 30 years ago, but what you said is by far the exception.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
i mean, i consider myself a stupidly huge nintendo fanboy since the very first time I saw a Mario game over 30 years ago, but what you said is by far the exception.
I don't think there's any rule to be an exception of, that's why I said it depends on the person. I know people just like me who can perfectly live with just Nintendo consoles to this day. My only modern system today is the Switch and I don't like playing on PC (and I barely have the specs to play anyway) and honestly, I think most of the games I wanted to play in other platforms already came over to Switch gradually lol

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That title logo is bonkers bad.

I really don't understand why they didn't just keep the one they used for the reveal.

H2x1_NSwitchDS_DeadlyPremonition2.jpg

edit: Or did they? It's hard to tell by that trailer...

Last edited:

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Do we have Deadly Premonition fans here? I've never played of it, but a friend of mine is a huge fan and DP2 is his most anticipated Switch game.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I was only talking about the logo in the tweet.

Edit: But I think the style of both logos is awful.

Edit 2: But maybe it's just personal tastes.

Status
Not open for further replies.