• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Wild World on the DS sold over 11 million units. The franchise has been incredibly successful for far longer than just New Leaf.

It is not among top 5 best selling IPs even on DS, only platform where is among top 5 is 3DS,
its very successful franchises but I dont think we can say its "mega-successful franchise, I mean what to say for franchises like Pokemon, Mario Kart, 2D Mario that are selling almost regularly at least 15m+ on every platform on which they are released.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
The perception of what is a "successful" franchise is definitely thrown off by Nintendo's ridiculous, consistent sellers that outpace essentially every other franchise in the industry with each new title.

Selling ~16 million copies is enough to break in to the top 50 best-selling video games of all time. A game that moves more than a million copies is generally a success, depending on budget and scope, but even breaking 5 million sales makes for a very successful game.

Getting to the 10+ million sales mark is an outstanding achievement for any game.

16+ million? Congrats, you now have one of the most successful video games of all time, in terms of sales.

20+ million puts you in the "untouchable" level of success that even large AAA companies dream of.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Wild World on the DS sold over 11 million units. The franchise has been incredibly successful for far longer than just New Leaf.
What most in this thread are not getting is that Animal Crossing went from 10-13 million range to a potential range of 30-35 million copies. Thats Mario Kart, Wii Sports and Wii Fit territory. If it would have been a third party IP released on all platforms it would be GTA territory. Its a once in a generation type of thing. It also had a lot to do with Corona and I think the franchise would not go there if Corona would not have happened.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Wild World sold 11 million+ and New Leaf 12 million+. It was only City Folk, essentially a WW port, that sold less. Animal Crossing has been a major Nintendo franchise for a long time.

If you say that Pokemon before (AC New Horizon) was mega-successful franchise, what will you say how how successful are franchises like Pokemon, Mario Kart, 2D Mario that are selling almost regularly at least 15m+ on every platform on which they are released?

AC only with New Horizon is becoming "mega-successful franchise", same like Zelda become with BotW and Smash Bros, with Ultimate, that will all cross 20m+ units at end.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love posts like these that just passive aggressively call out other posts, with reductive strawmanned arguments, without directly quoting anyone or contributing to any actual discussion.

I also love people bringing up the same tired arguments about unified software development that we've heard for the past three years with nothing of substance added except more subjective assessment of their software lineup presented as objective fact. Your "contribution to actual discussion" is noted, I guess.

That's in part why I didn't quote you personally but I guess your jimmies were rustled nonetheless.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't know which games could have been impacted by the virus that much, to transform a H1 (with just AC and brain training as brand new games) into a 2017/19 year honestly

This is the part that a lot of people don't seem to be getting. Let me try to explain how I view it:

Let's say Nintendo originally had 15 games planned for this year. 7 in H1 (TMS, PMD, AC, Good Job, XenoblaDE, Clubhouse Games, and one of the Wii U ports (i.e. 3DW)). Then 8 games in H2, let's say 1 in July, 1 in August, 3 in September, 1 in October and 2 in November.

COVID-19 then happened, and now let's say they are unsure if they can finish 3 of the 8 H2 games on time. That leaves them with only 5 H2 games for sure, when they ideally would want more. So they took a game from H1 (i.e. 3D World) and moved it back into H2 to help cover one of the possible gaps.

However, COVID-19 also disrupted games planned for 2021. Let's say they planned 6 games for H1 of 2021 and 8 games for H2 of 2022. 5 of the H1 games now won't make it and 3 of the H2 games are now uncertain. So in order to fill some of THOSE gaps in 2021 they'll need to delay some of the H2 2020 games. Let's say that the 3 games that were uncertain for H2 2020 have now been completely delayed to go into 2021, and they need even more from 2020 just because of the sheer number of impacted 2021 titles.

This is how Nintendo's scheduling strategy works, they constantly shuffle around release dates of completed games to fill out their schedule. COVID-19 disrupting their plans even so far down the line will cause games ready for 2020 to be delayed because of this.

Is Zelda Dark Tombs leak real?

Just based on the name alone you should know the answer to that.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
What most in this thread are not getting is that Animal Crossing went from 10-13 million range to a potential range of 30-35 million copies. Thats Mario Kart, Wii Sports and Wii Fit territory.

If it would have been a third party IP released on all platforms it would be GTA territory. Its a once in a generation type of thing. It also had a lot to do with Corona and I think the franchise would not go there if Corona would not have happened.

That was my point, we went from 12-13m unit seller game to at least 20m+ seller game in worst case.

Corona did help, but New Horizon was destined to explode on Switch even before Corona similar like Zelda and Smash Bros exploded,
I mean New Horizon will sell millions of units in years to come and that will not have anything with Corona.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It is not among top 5 best selling IPs even on DS, only platform where is among top 5 is 3DS,
its very successful franchises but I dont think we can say its "mega-successful franchise, I mean what to say for franchises like Pokemon, Mario Kart, 2D Mario that are selling almost regularly at least 15m+ on every platform on which they are released.
LOL you say that as if it's such an easy task. The fifth best selling of the top five on DS sold nearly 18M copies, which is something a lot of Switch games wont do, and New Leaf didnt accomplish either.

It was also only the second game in the series, jumping from a couple million to 11 million is nothing to scoff at. Aside from Brain Age and
Nintendogs, it's the only series in the top ten that isn't the Pokemon/MK/2D Mario that you mentioned.

The perception of what is a "successful" franchise is definitely thrown off by Nintendo's ridiculous, consistent sellers that outpace essentially every other franchise in the industry with each new title.

Selling ~16 million copies is enough to break in to the top 50 best-selling video games of all time. A game that moves more than a million copies is generally a success, depending on budget and scope, but even breaking 5 million sales makes for a very successful game.

Getting to the 10+ million sales mark is an outstanding achievement for any game.

16+ million? Congrats, you now have one of the most successful video games of all time, in terms of sales.

20+ million puts you in the "untouchable" level of success that even large AAA companies dream of.
This is a good post at putting it into perspective.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unless Nintendo magically announces a Mario event tomorrow, the WiiU H1 port teased by her won't happen.
I'm not saying she's a fake leaker but she isn't spot on anymore.
She's still pretty spot on in my book. Idk why you're holding a Wii U port not coming in H1 against her when you know there's a pandemic right now

grimrepo

Jan 9, 2018
Certainty, Nintendo will be around tomorrow. Uncertainty, everything else. Be like the bamboo, bend in the wind.

Oct 25, 2017
What's everyone's favorite "I can't believe this is on Switch?" games?

I still can't believe Tales of Vesperia with the PS3 content is on Switch

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
It's almost as if a worldwide event could have possibly shifted plans. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
She's still pretty spot on in my book. Idk why you're holding a Wii U port not coming in H1 against her when you know there's a pandemic right now
Because she was still confident in the port after the March Mini Direct.
I still think she's the most trustworthy leaker (even more than Zell) but she doesn't have a 100% spot on track record anymore.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Animal Crossing's growth - from weird, experimental, late-stage, Japan-only N64 game to world-conquering phenomenon is really quite something. That leap on DS really is notable.

Really, Animal Crossing mirrors K. K. Slider. At the start of the series, he was a roaming busker who'd set up shop on a cardboard box outside your train station and would perform privately for you. Then, he'd move up in the world into cafe gigs - a sure sign of progress - and became even bigger with a DJ set in a club (maybe he lost his way a little there). Now he's a bona fide star who needs concert venues to be up to a certain standard before he'll grace them with his presence.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Correction

Nintendo is doomed and they're going back to making playing cards.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
That was my point, we went from 12-13m unit seller game to at least 20m+ seller game in worst case.

Corona did help, but New Horizon was destined to explode on Switch even before Corona similar like Zelda and Smash Bros exploded,
I mean New Horizon will sell millions of units in years to come and that will not have anything with Corona.
I mostly agree but I think Corona will add another 10 million to its sales. That's my guess anyway but we have no way of knowing because I think people who bought the game are also going to buy future versions. If it does significantly decline with a new entry we can be sure but I don't think that will happen. It has become one of Nintendo's top franchises together with Mario Kart.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
LOL you say that as if it's such an easy task. The fifth best selling of the top five on DS sold nearly 18M copies, which is something a lot of Switch games wont do, and New Leaf didnt accomplish either.

It was also only the second game in the series, jumping from a couple million to 11 million is nothing to scoff at. Aside from Brain Age and
Nintendogs, it's the only series in the top ten that isn't the Pokemon/MK/2D Mario that you mentioned.

No I talking about facts.

It did great on DS, my point is only that you cant call (pre New Horizon) IP mega successful franchise when we have only 2 games that sold 12-13m units,
how you would than call franchises like 2D Mario, Pokemon, Mario Kart..

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Animal Crossing was a major series for a long time, it just wasn't the phenomenon it is now. It wasn't guaranteed to be a 30M+ seller when it was announced in 2018.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still think she's the most trustworthy leaker (even more than Zell) but she doesn't have a 100% spot on track record anymore.
The insiders just said this past week they believed a Mario Event was happening this month and looks like it might not be a thing anymore. Emily was still confident the port was coming in March like you said. That was weeks ago and the port would've been Super Mario 3D World announced in this Mario Event to release late June.

Super Mario 3D World can still be announced to come late June by Youtube or Twitter

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
The insiders just said this past week they believed a Mario Event was happening this month and looks like it might not be a thing anymore. Emily was still confident the port was coming in March like you said. That was weeks ago and the port would've been Super Mario 3D World announced in this Mario Event to release late June.

Super Mario 3D World can still be announced to come late June by Youtube or Twitter
Super Mario 3D World (and Land) are actually my favourite 3D Mario's. I love the simple maps and intuitive gameplay. I'm pretty excited for that one because I kind of lost my interest for the Wii U back when it came out and didn't get to properly play and enjoy it.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Sometimes I wonder what the effect of social media saturation has had on Nintendo's titles on Switch. I mean sure, social media obviously existed with 3DS and Wii U, but I feel like they hit a sweet spot with Switch, given how some of their games have gone on to dominate online conversation. Their biggest titles now have a bigger cultural reach, and I'm too lazy to think about it properly, but it's a bit of a chicken/egg situation. How much does Switch's success owe to it, and how much does Switch's success guarantee greater coverage?

I had another thought, but it's gone. Mondays really are my worst days. Ah! That was it - the Washington Post have a feature on the music of Animal Crossing: New Horizons, by their classical music correspondent, including some interesting tidbits from Kazumi Totaka. It really is all-conquering.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
I mostly agree but I think Corona will add another 10 million to its sales. That's my guess anyway but we have no way of knowing because I think people who bought the game are also going to buy future versions. If it does significantly decline with a new entry we can be sure but I don't think that will happen. It has become one of Nintendo's top franchises together with Mario Kart.

I mean current sales are probably at around 15m, I wouldn't say it ad 10m, maybe around 5m,
but that doesnt change much if at end we have 30m+ seller when previous best one AC game was 13m seller.
Regardless Corona, it's obvious it will be onother MK type of seller that will sell great in coming years also.

You need to look bigger picture, AC was IP on rising, it sold 12.5m units on DS on install base of 155m and on 3DS that has more than twice lower install base,
so not only we having IP that was on rise and was gaining popularity with every new game, but that IP was released on platform that most Nintendo IPs have great sales and in most cases best sales in hole franchises.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the next mega Nintendo IP? How about super or ultra success Nintendo IP? We need to define clear lines right now

BestTestie

Banned
Jan 13, 2020
User Warned: Hostility
You're flat out contradicting what you've already said in an effort to appear reasonable, so let's look at this bit by bit.

Apart from where you state that delaying their E3 Direct - a marketing event - is not justifiable:

So yes, you already argued that this shouldn't affect their marketing.
There's a difference between marketing being affected versus if it's justifiable.

Their marketing is currently affected by COVID19, yes. Nobody is arguing that.
I don't think continued radio silence is justifiable since most their 2020 lineup should be minimally affected.

This is supposition because none of us have any idea how close to completion different games are. There's no magical or ideal timeline where every project is lining up in some uniform or expected way - different games will be at different stages, some will make their internally projected releases with no problems, others don't. We're not privy to that. So no, this is not some reasonable or objective point - this is supposition on your part.
It's true nobody knows the exact details of development timelines. We can only make educated assumptions. Nintendo typically does not reveal games until they're close to release. Their Summer/Fall, and arguably their Winter games, should all be in polishing, or about to enter polishing.

The information we've had from multiple reliable and semi-reliable sources says that the shift to work-from-home is disruptive and all our expectations for the year should be adjusted accordingly. On top of that, as I've already pointed out, you're ignoring the fact that it's not just development polish that counts or is being disrupted. Localisation, production, distribution, retail and in Japan, rating are all disrupted too. The knock-on effect is much more severe than you're willing to admit because you want to justify your take that Nintendo are failing to produce enough software, which is becoming evident from your other posts in this thread. It's not just finishing development in Japan (or elsewhere) that's the problem - it is every other step on top of that which goes into getting the game into our hands.
Localization and production happen concurrently alongside development (production later obviously). It's not a linear process. Of course all those facets are affected too. But localization should be entering the polishing stages alongside development. Production and retail are the main bottlenecks, but even with retail most stores in the US will be opening up by the end of May/June.

You seem to be wilfully ignorant of that and the fact there's disruption to that occurring right now affecting releases planned for months like May or September, whether it's publishers delaying releases or Nintendo struggling to get stock of both hardware and software onto store shelves.
Hardware stock is another issue entirely, although Nintendo is doing a good job at bolstering productions with the increased demand.

Games releasing this Fall really aren't being affected. Look at Cyberpunk, CD Red outright said they're still on track for their planned September release. The games that are being affected are either:
1. Games that are coming out this Spring (e.f. TLOu2), which are being hit with supply chain issues. Nintendo has none of past Xenoblade DE and Clubhouse Games
2. Games slated beyond Fall 2020, which we really can't measure the pandemic's impact on right now.

An Animal Crossing Direct is not a 'minimal announcement' - it's marketing for one of Switch's biggest hits yet. Equally, news for Smash and Pokemon - whatever the subjective reception in terms of quality - is news (objectively) for two of Switch's biggest games. On top of that, you're ignoring multiple Indie broadcasts (more news, objectively, whether you like it or not, including for high-profile indie titles, including exclusives and timed exclusives), the announcement of Bravely Default 2, a third-party exclusive title which will be published by Nintendo in NA/EU, scheduled for 2020, and, not least, the announcement and release of Ring Fit Adventure - a new EPD-developed game and multi-million selling new IP.

Yes, we've had no news for H2 2020. But we've had a pretty steady feed of news despite that - that's an objective fact. You don't get to decide what counts or what doesn't count.
None of those announcements anyone would call "major", or frankly exciting. It's a set of minimal announcements of either small/casual games, or (lackluster) updates on preexisting games.

I await your contradictory, bull-headed reply with a distinct lack of interest.
Lol get your head out of your ass. Just because I disagree with your points doesn't make mine any less valid. It's an internet forum dude.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
I never thought I'd see someone so weirdly stringent about use of the word "mega"

Its point about context, and point I was making is even if IP was big, AC only now is becoming huge and probably one of top 3 Nintendo IPs (alongside Mario Kart, Pokemon and AC, at least on Switch).

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
What's the next mega Nintendo IP? How about super or ultra success Nintendo IP? We need to define clear lines right now
Mega: Arbitrary, deployed in pursuit of argument. More than 13 million, to exclude previous versions of Animal Crossing.
Big: Metroid, because fans say so.
Small/unimportant: Ring Fit Adventure, Nintendogs, Filthy Casuals

Last edited:

Arkai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I do think she is a good insider as well and helped create some good conversation and speculation in the past, but one thing to note is that the world today is different than a month ago now. For all intents and purposes the port could have been intended for H1 in March as you say, but since then Japan is now in lock down, the country is struggling to fully integrate and adapt to work from home and the speculated Mario event for the month has been potentially cancelled/pushed back because of the virus. Could also be that due to chain reaction of software delays they need Mario else where now in the release schedule. I always believe no insider is 100% as things definitely change, but just for this game in particular it feels a bit wrong to hold it against someone due to the circumstances.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Super Mario 3D World (and Land) are actually my favourite 3D Mario's. I love the simple maps and intuitive gameplay. I'm pretty excited for that one because I kind of lost my interest for the Wii U back when it came out and didn't get to properly play and enjoy it.
Super Mario 3D World is like top 2-3 for me. I love the world, the music, the multiplayer, the gameplay. I just love everything about it. It feels so "cozy". I'm really excited for whatever new levels may come to a Deluxe version.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I doubt it, any more. Seems to have been planned any more.

too late you already leaked it

i believe and soon news sites will announce you as the new insider

and nintendo will be like "hey doug, did you saw this news about a direct ? damn we did planed a direct ...why we are not doing it ?" and then forget about the pandemic and work on the direct and release this week

Status
Not open for further replies.