• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When is the next General Direct?

• This Week

Votes: 230 14.0%
  • Next Week

Votes: 557 34.0%
  • April

Votes: 192 11.7%
  • Never

Votes: 419 25.6%
  • OT8

Votes: 241 14.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Remember Tyler Mcviker? Who said "info" about botw2 previously? Now he is saying that odyssey 2 is in development, paper mario is holiday title gameplay wise like older titles, botw2 was delayed because they don't like the story lol, seriously doubt that, and wii sports 3 was in development at one time they reused the minigames in new collections. Take it however you will, what i have heard that he is pretty much always correct with his Valve sources but i doubt that his Nintendo sources are reliable who knows, specially info about botw2 sounds like fake.
Holy shit if Wii Sports 3 is true. I want that game badly.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
give me wii sports asap nintendo

call it wuhu sports or mii sports or something, I don't give a shit, I just need it

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Given harker and then nate

I'm expecting a Mario video to shadow drop on a Thursday before may 7th.
Announcing all the Mario games and paper Mario too

A few online 2d marios will shadow drop eshop or for nso

3dw deluxe for July.
PM for octoberish
Collection for November.

The video will only do Mario. (Maybe raddibs 2 will be there)

What other 2D Marios are there that aren't on the Switch? The NSMB series and Super Mario Land? I don't see them bringing more NSMB games tbh.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Given harker and then nate

I'm expecting a Mario video to shadow drop on a Thursday before may 7th.
Announcing all the Mario games and paper Mario too

A few online 2d marios will shadow drop eshop or for nso

3dw deluxe for July.
PM for octoberish
Collection for November.

The video will only do Mario. (Maybe raddibs 2 will be there)
The remasters will be Nintendo's most important games for 2020 so I don't see them shadowdropping a Mario Direct on youtube.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
What other 2D Marios are there that aren't on the Switch? The NSMB series and Super Mario Land? I don't see them bringing more NSMB games tbh.
Land 1 and 2 came to mind. eshop unless they started GB NSO.
Nsmb ds Or Mario vs DK wouldn't be off the table imo. And is the original DK on nso?

But who knows about 2d stuff compared to the 3D Mario part. There could be no 2d stuff shrug

BestTestie

Banned
Jan 13, 2020
the switch press conference was so bad that it made me decide not to preorder. I didn't manage to find one until march 17th
I STILL don't understand why people on GAF/Era disliked the Switch Press conference so much. Just look at the reveals:
  • Mario Odyssey, new 3D Mario which embraced the exploration-based design of 64/Sunshine to the delight of fans
  • Splatoon 2
  • Arms, new IP.
  • Xenoblade 2
  • Fucking No More Heroes 3
  • Shin Megami Tensei
  • Ended with a godlike BOTW trailer, alongside a surprise launch-day release date
This was a great slates of announcements, again I have no idea why everyone here hated the conference. Guess people were fixated on the $300 price? Even if you have bad tastes and the SMT & NMH3 reveals didn't resonate with you, there's still Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2, Arms, and the BOTW trailer/release date.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
The remasters will be Nintendo's most important games for 2020 so I don't see them shadowdropping a Mario Direct on youtube.
I think shadow drop for the video because I dont think the reveal will be that long.

These games will be shown at e3 with gameplay and then the september direct again for whichever games aren't out by then.
We're going go to get steady info and gameplay and then September direct will have one last "cool they added that" for the big collection closer to launch.

May/April doesnt need to show everything and I dont think it will. I'm going for a dropped 10m vid on a Thursday.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
This was a great slates of announcements, again I have no idea why everyone here hated the conference. Guess people were fixated on the $300 price?

I had to get out of bed at like ... 4 or 5 am. You try to have a good mood at that time! ;D

Seeing that list ... man SMTV ... Atlus, Atlus, Atlus ... you did bad.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Depends how they treat NSO and whether or not they continue to expand it at the same one console per year pace. I'm expecting GameBoy/GBC to happen this year, with Super Mario Land 1 and 2, and potentially Super Mario Bros DX part of the Mario anniversary. Plus, there's Super Mario All-Stars - which was in the initial datamine for SNES Online, so I'd expect that to come out, too.

MusicProposition

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
Nate implied on YouTube that they could do the Mario info drop before May 7th. I wonder if this is what he meant when he posted 'I expect something before early may' on here. I'm not sure why they would shift from the original June event to something earlier though, because they could still just do this at their June direct. But let's see, maybe we'll get a Mario Direct in April/May?

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Nate implied on YouTube that they could do the Mario info drop before May 7th. I wonder if this is what he meant when he posted 'I expect something before early may' on here. I'm not sure why they would shift from the original June event to something earlier though, because they could still just do this at their June direct. But let's see, maybe we'll get a Mario Direct in April/May?
They could split up the E3 announcements or they may just be sitting tight to see how covid develops

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
I STILL don't understand why people on GAF/Era disliked the Switch Press conference so much. Just look at the reveals:
  • Mario Odyssey, new 3D Mario which embraced the exploration-based design of 64/Sunshine to the delight of fans
  • Splatoon 2
  • Arms, new IP.
  • Xenoblade 2
  • Shin Megami Tensei
  • Ended with a godlike BOTW trailer, alongside a surprise launch-day release date
This was a great slates of announcements, again I have no idea why everyone here hated the conference. Guess people were fixated on the $300 price? Even if you have bad tastes and the SMT & NMH3 reveals didn't resonate with you, there's still Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2, Arms, and the BOTW trailer/release date.

Watch it again and recall how time was devoted to Joy Con rumble and 1-2 Switch. It was fine, but Directs are so streamlined that the conference felt like an awkward, off-kilter blast from the E3 2008 past.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
This was a great slates of announcements, again I have no idea why everyone here hated the conference. Guess people were fixated on the $300 price?

This and the high price for the accessories combined with the paid online was basically the reason people on GAF were trashing the presentation and the console afterwards. The site was unbearable during that time period as everyone was in "Nintendo is doomed" mode.

Even by people who are now big Switch supporters on this site.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
  • Splatoon 2
  • Arms, new IP.
  • Xenoblade 2
  • Shin Megami Tensei
The lineup until the summer was why.

People love 2017 now but have forgotten it was hated for most of the year. Until 2018 really

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
I think shadow drop for the video because I dont think the reveal will be that long.

These games will be shown at e3 with gameplay and then the september direct again for whichever games aren't out by then.
We're going go to get steady info and gameplay and then September direct will have one last "cool they added that" for the big collection closer to launch.

May/April doesnt need to show everything and I dont think it will. I'm going for a dropped 10m vid on a Thursday.
The Pokemon Direct in 2019 with the SwSh reveal was only 7 minutes long.
It wouldn't be the first time.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Depends how they treat NSO and whether or not they continue to expand it at the same one console per year pace. I'm expecting GameBoy/GBC to happen this year, with Super Mario Land 1 and 2, and potentially Super Mario Bros DX part of the Mario anniversary. Plus, there's Super Mario All-Stars - which was in the initial datamine for SNES Online, so I'd expect that to come out, too.
All stars was in a datamine for nso? Cool I didn't know

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017

People love 2017 now but have forgotten it was hated for most of the year. Until 2018 really

Yup.

"Zelda is the only game Nintendo has until Super Mario Odyssey"
"No one will buy Mario Kart 8 Deluxe because everyone who wanted to play MK8 already got a Wii U for that"
"Splatoon 2 doesn't count because it's basically just a Splatoon port"
"ARMS is just a tech demo"
"By the time Super Mario Odyssey launches people will be done with the Switch"

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
They could have already adjusted their plans, given E3 was cancelled before the middle of March. On top of that, there's always the possibility these reports got the June reveal wrong, though I'm not sure how likely that is.

Personally, I wonder if Nintendo might stick to their current pattern of focusing on monthly events which are pretty concentrated in their brief, like a Super Mario Direct. Maybe the original plan was different, but focusing on more targeted news makes sense if there are uncertainties over development timelines. We know the next Smash fighter is planned for a reveal and release in June, so there's something coming then - but the nature of whatever that is could have changed already.
Yup.

"Zelda is the only game Nintendo has until Super Mario Odyssey"
"No one will buy Mario Kart 8 Deluxe because everyone who wanted to play MK8 already got a Wii U for that"
"Splatoon 2 doesn't count because it's basically just a Splatoon port"
"ARMS is just a tech demo"
"By the time Super Mario Odyssey launches people will be done with the Switch"
You forgot - "Xenoblade 2 definitely won't launch in 2017"

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

2017 was hated for most of the year, lol , in what reality? Maybe for people who were more interested in complaining on forums rather than playing videogames.

Botw at launch in march
Mario kart 8 deluxe late april
Arms in june
Splatoon 2 in july
Mario + Rabbids in August
Pokken deluxe in September
Fire emblem warriors and super mario odyssey in October
Xenoblade 2 in December.

Is an utterly absurdly stacked slate for any single publisher on any platform, and there was a bunch of good-great third party stuff (admittedly a lot of indies) too

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
The Pokemon Direct in 2019 with the SwSh reveal was only 7 minutes long.
It wouldn't be the first time.
Yeah I'm thinking something similar. Except more games to announce of course so less time to each one.
I don't think we'll see that much gameplay of the collection. That'll be the big closer with maybe like a screenwipe of the new vs old graphics during a short teaser.
3dw Will get more info since it'd be closer to release. PM will get a trailer and if we see partners we know it's not trash, gameplay blowout to come at e3.
Then 2d stuff for eshop or nso if it happens will be there.

Just my guesses of course

BestTestie

Banned
Jan 13, 2020
Watch it again and recall how time was devoted to Joy Con rumble and 1-2 Switch. It was fine, but Directs are so streamlined that the conference felt like an awkward, off-kilter blast from the E3 2008 past.
The video bit about the Joycons was fine. The 1-2-Switch reveal took no more time than any other reveal iirc.

Considering the absolutely stacked reveals I don't see how it's remotely comparable to 2008 on the slightest. It's one of the best Press Conference they've done, up there with 2004, 2006, and 2010.

How did people hate the lineup until Summer? It was the best launch window for a Nintendo console since the Wii
  • Launch Day: BOTW
  • April: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Nothing amazing but better than being empty.
  • May: Dry month
  • June: Arms
  • July: Splatoon 2
  • August-December: Major game almost every month.
April and May only having MK8D was a bit dry, but after that was best consistent stream of release Nintendo's had on the Switch. And even considering that, March-May is probably the least worst dry spell they've had with the Switch. I'll take that 3 month period over H1 2018 or H1 2020.

People were saying 2017 was a fantastic year as it was happening, especially when the Holiday games started to release. There was no magical 2018 hindsight

trestres

Feb 11, 2019
Remember Emily's post that said something like this?

"Over the next two years, when someone asks you what the best console for Mario was, answer would be easy 'Duh, the Switch, you dummy' "

I think that.means we are getting the collection, ports and a new Paper Mario this year, and SMO2 is launching before 2022 as well, perhaps a new 2D Mario also.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
2017 was hated for most of the year, lol , in what reality? Maybe for people who were more interested in complaining on forums rather than playing videogames.

Botw at launch in march
Arms in june
Splatoon 2 in july
Xenoblade 2 in December.

Is an utterly absurdly stacked slate for any single publisher on any platform, and there was a bunch of good-great third party stuff (admittedly a lot of indies) too
Granted I don't agree with the opinion, but I remember the complaint being BOTW carried the year for too long. Probably until ARMS. Or Splatoon I guess, since that had more single player content.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Remember Emily's post that said something like this?

"Over the next two years, when someone asks you what the best console for Mario was, answer would be easy 'Duh, the Switch, you dummy' "

I think that.means we are getting the collection, ports and a new Paper Mario this year, and SMO2 is launching before 2022 as well, perhaps a new 2D Mario also.

Yep. I hope we get a new 2D Mario with a brand new art style before we got a SMO2 though :P

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

I mean, having a big Mario-themed booth doesn't necessarily imply that the games would be announced there. They had a big Zelda-themed booth in 2016 and Zelda was already announced. Smash was announced before E3 too, and it was still the major focus of their booth that year.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017

It wasn't hated at all. There was some criticism regarding the number of ports, 3DS games still being released, and a few other things, a lot of which was sort of handwaived because everyone thought the lineups for each year would only get better with Nintendo switching from 2 product lines to 1. Obviously in hind sight 2017 looks even better now, but it certainly wasn't hated or even disliked.

BestTestie

Banned
Jan 13, 2020
a lot of which was sort of handwaived because everyone thought the lineups for each year would only get better with Nintendo switching from 2 product lines to 1.
Yeeeah still waiting to see the results of that. For First Parties the 3DS has been dead since 2017/early 2018, this year should have been the first where we see an improved output. Obviously that's not the case.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I mean, having a big Mario-themed booth doesn't necessarily imply that the games would be announced there. They had a big Zelda-themed booth in 2016 and Zelda was already announced. Smash was announced before E3 too, and it was still the major focus of their booth that year.
I think the assumption is a June reveal because that's what the report explicitly stated - that this was intended to be revealed at E3 itself, not revealed before-hand. But, of course, that information could have been wrong, or Nintendo could have changed plans a few weeks ago when E3 was cancelled, and the 'June reveal' reported by VGC (and others) was out of date info.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
The video bit about the Joycons was fine. The 1-2-Switch reveal took no more time than any other reveal iirc.

Considering the absolutely stacked reveals I don't see how it's remotely comparable to 2008 on the slightest. It's one of the best Press Conference they've done, up there with 2004, 2006, 2009, and 2010.

How did people hate the lineup until Summer? It was the best launch window for a Nintendo console since the Wii
  • Launch Day: BOTW
  • April: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Nothing amazing but better than being empty.
  • May: Dry month
  • June: Arms
  • July: Splatoon 2
  • August-December: Major game almost every month.
April and May only having MK8D was a bit dry, but after that was best consistent stream of release Nintendo's had on the Switch. And even considering that, March-May is probably the least worst dry spell they've had with the Switch. I'll take that 3 month period over H1 2018 or H1 2020.

People were saying 2017 was a fantastic year as it was happening, especially when the Holiday games started to release. There was no magical 2018 hindsight
The argument was no big exclusives until ARMs which was good but not great, especially at launch. I got arms and liked it more than most but yea it was light on content

Switch version of botw was better but both were framey as heck. The nsw patch helped some. Some liked the gamepad stuff on Wii u. I didn't get a switch until several months later cause I didn't feel like I needed one yet. I played botw on Wii u at first

Not even sure why we're retreading this.
Go read gaf if you've forgotten or weren't around. I haven't.

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020

Considering the absolutely stacked reveals I don't see how it's remotely comparable to 2008 on the slightest. It's one of the best Press Conference they've done, up there with 2004, 2006, and 2010.

Just to be clear, I think the Switch event was decent overall. But I just scrubbed the conference to check my memory, and yeah, the first 30 minutes consisted of: price info, a recap of older consoles, an explanation of the Joy Con, 1-2 Switch, and then Arms (which, yes, looked like a tech demo, and I would argue that the final game still did not feel like a $60 package, but that is neither here nor there).

Crafting the first 30 minutes in this way sends a message, just like stacking E3 2008 with Shaun White Snowboarding, Guitar Hero, Wii Sports Resort, and a Wii Music conclusion sent a message; namely, that the console would be another Nintendo system driven by novel control gimmicks. We know that is not true now, but it was very frustrating and awkward then, and I think it is revisionist to say otherwise.

The rest of the conference also leaned very heavily towards Japanese tastes. For example, I personally am not a JRPG fan, so SMT and Xenoblade did nothing for me. Splatoon 2 looked I interesting, but had actually been reported by the leakers (I don't remember if this was Laura Kate Dale, Emily, or both) as coming out of the development of an enhanced port, and it looked the part. No More Heroes was a spin off. And then, obviously, Odyssey and BOTW looked great.

I only ended up purchasing those two games out of everything in the conference. Again, it was a decent event overall, but I think those two reasons (mixed casual-focused messaging and a Japan-leaning focus) are responsible for the general perception.

EDIT: I found a LKD tweet laying out expectations as of November 2016, and I think it is fairly informative as to the mindset re:Splatoon 2 and others.

Last edited:

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeeeah still waiting to see the results of that. For First Parties the 3DS has been dead since 2017/early 2018, this year should have been the first where we see an improved output. Obviously that's not the case.
I'm sure it's been discussed, but I think it's a combo of things. One is that we've heard Nintendo still had some 3DS projects in the works well into the life of the Switch that ultimately were canned and/or revamped Switch. Hard to say how true that is, but it wouldn't be shocking as it seemed like the 3DS software sales dying so quickly caught them completely off guard.

The other thing is that some of those studios/teams that were making 3DS games are actually quite small. Making the jump is either going to take a while, or in cases like Alpha Dream it's just not going to happen, or for studios like Camelot their output on Switch is probably just a game at a time rather than trying to work multiple. We'll see how it all pans out though.

Furyous

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
I think you mean Descenders by that bicycle game, it's already been announced for Switch, should be coming this year.

I meant lonely mountain. This game:

lonelymountains.com

Lonely Mountains: Downhill

START YOUR RIDE HERE CHAT WITH THE DEVS AND JOIN THE COMMUNITY WANT TO STAY UPDATED? SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER FOLLOW US FOR MORE BEHIND-THE-SCENE NEWS GALLERY MEET THE TEAM JAN BUBENIK DANIEL HELBIG

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I only ended up purchasing those two games out of everything in the conference. Again, it was a decent event overall, but I think those two reasons (mixed casual-focused messaging and a Japan-leaning focus) are responsible for the general perception.

To be fair considering how pre-orders were sold out shortly after launch I don't think the general perception was that negative. I think it was the usual vocal minority that was making the loudest noises.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
  • Splatoon 2
  • Arms, new IP.
  • Xenoblade 2
  • Shin Megami Tensei
the long-winded and awkward structure of the press conference made me and countless others lose the forest for the trees, which was exactly my point. The presentation was constantly stilted at times blatantly incompetent. It gave a weak impression of the system at the time. I realized a week later that the presentation was just so shit it made the good stuff look bad, but by then preorders were sold out.

BestTestie

Banned
Jan 13, 2020
User warned: Ableist rhetoric
Just to be clear, I think the Switch event was decent overall. But I just scrubbed the conference to check my memory, and yeah, the first 30 minutes consisted of: price info, a recap of older consoles, an explanation of the Joy Con, 1-2 Switch, and then Arms (which, yes, looked like a tech demo, and I would argue that the final game still did not feel like a $60 package, but that is neither here nor there).

Crafting the first 30 minutes in this way sends a message, just like stacking E3 2008 with Shaun White Snowboarding, Guitar Hero, Wii Sports Resort, and a Wii Music conclusion sent a message; namely, that the console would be another Nintendo system driven by novel control gimmicks. We know that is not true now, but it was very frustrating and awkward then, and I think it is revisionist to say otherwise.

The rest of the conference also leaned very heavily towards Japanese tastes. For example, I personally am not a JRPG fan, so SMT and Xenoblade did nothing for me. Splatoon 2 looked I interesting, but had actually been reported by the leakers (I don't remember if this was Laura Kate Dale, Emily, or both) as coming out of the development of an enhanced port, and it looked the part. No More Heroes was a spin off. And then, obviously, Odyssey and BOTW looked great.

The first 30 minutes weren't remotely as bad as E3 2008's entire focus on casual games, the only one which fits that criteria is 1-2-Switch. I don't see how anything could rationally believe the Switch would be another Nintendo system driven by motion control gimmicks (which isn't inherently a bad thing) given:
  1. The main gimmick of the console was the clearly the fact it was a hybrid, which inherently limits motion-controls (as presumably most of the library has to be playable in handheld mode)
  2. Only 2 games revealed had motion control, the vast majority of the lineup revealed at the show were "traditional" games.
Anyone had that assumption based off the first 30 minutes of the show was just foolish.

The conference lean towards Japanese tastes, but that wasn't a bad thing. And it's not like Nintendo didn't try and have Western Third Parties there, they had EA and Bethesda there to announce ports. Still, announcements like SMT and a new No More Heroes ( which wasn't known to be a spinoff at the time of reveal, and it led to NMH3 regardless) were huge for enthusiasts who actually cared about those franchises, with the latter being a pipedream-level announcement. I imagine most people bitching about the conference just had bad tastes and didn't care about those type of series, which is on them entirely.

Splatoon 2 being partially leaked (leakers were saying this was an enhanced port, not a brand new sequel) doesn't take away from the announcement's impact on the reveal lineup.

the long-winded and awkward structure of the press conference made me and countless others lose the forest for the trees, which was exactly my point. The presentation was constantly stilted at times blatantly incompetent. It gave a weak impression of the system at the time. I realized a week later that the presentation was just so shit it made the good stuff look bad, but by then preorders were sold out.
The only thing "awkward" about it was the live translators occasionally stumbling over their words. Besides that, it was a top-to-bottom traditional press conference, nothing about it was long-winded. I guess if you've only grown up on Directs and need every single announcement crammed in 30 minutes ADHD-style it might be too long?

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I think this is a good point. It was a bad presentation of excellent material. And, compared to how slick and at times funny the Directs have been, the mixture of pre-recorded video and live press conference resulted in a completely different kind of delivery.

I don't think there's any mistaking why Nintendo still almost exclusively communicate with their fans through pre-recorded material these days. They've improved massively at how they present what they have.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Arms being a tech demo has always been a dumb take. It was a game launched with light content and initial reviews reflected that.
Describes like a third of the current industry tbh. Unless they're all tech demos

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017

Botw at launch in march
Arms in june
Splatoon 2 in july
Xenoblade 2 in December.

Same argument as now.

"If you don't like X then there is nothing to play"

X = multiplayer focused games

For some people it was essentially BotW > 7 months > Odyssey

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
The only thing "awkward" about it was the live translators occasionally stumbling over their words. Besides that, it was a top-to-bottom traditional press conference, nothing about it was long-winded. I guess if you've only grown up on Directs and need every single announcement crammed in 30 minutes ADHD-style it might be too long?
literally the most dismissive sentence I've ever read on this site

Status
Not open for further replies.