• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When is the next General Direct?

• This Week

Votes: 230 14.0%
  • Next Week

Votes: 557 34.0%
  • April

Votes: 192 11.7%
  • Never

Votes: 419 25.6%
  • OT8

Votes: 241 14.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France
Nintendo Switch appears to be sold out all over Europe, I'm guessing it's the same in the US? Looking at the Japanese numbers, it's still selling gangbusters, but mostly Lite, possibly excess stock?

Could the reason they still haven't done a full Direct simply be because they wouldn't have any stock to sell?

I've been trying to get a Switch for my partner for three weeks in France. It's damn near impossible.

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Could the reason they still haven't done a full Direct simply be because they wouldn't have any stock to sell?

That's what I was thinking back in February when Corona already had a huge impact on China and it was obvious that it's spreading to Europe etc.
Why marketing something which you can't sell (and Nintendo primary goal is to increasing the user base, not only sell (digital) copies).
That opinion was not received well by some.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
That's what I was thinking back in February when Corona already had a huge impact on China and it was obvious that it's spreading to Europe etc.
Why marketing something which you can't sell (and Nintendo primary goal is to increasing the user base, not only sell (digital) copies).

Probably because it sounds ludicrous tbh. We've seen nintendo HW sell out before and they didn't suddenly just stop announcing new games or decrease their marketing. I just can't believe that would be the reason. I do think the corona virus may well have had a big impact and could be a big reason why nintendo changed plans. I don't believe for a second nintendo just decided to stop marketing/announcing stuff because they thought maybe the switch would start selling out.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017

The opinion was not well received because it doesn't make sense which the Indie showcase and the Mini Direct in the last weeks perfectly demonstrated. Nintendo's primary goal is to make money and they make the most money by selling software and not with hardware.

DinoPulse

May 25, 2018
Ummm..... It was mostly that bad attempt at fooling us with a convincing Flipnote Switch leak that was an april fools joke?

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
If this was an Aprils Fools joke, at least Eurogame would have done a clarification by now since it's April 2nd for 12 hours as of now. ;]

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Remember Tyler Mcviker? Who said "info" about botw2 previously? Now he is saying that odyssey 2 is in development, paper mario is holiday title gameplay wise like older titles, botw2 was delayed because they don't like the story lol, seriously doubt that, and wii sports 3 was in development at one time they reused the minigames in new collections. Take it however you will, what i have heard that he is pretty much always correct with his Valve sources but i doubt that his Nintendo sources are reliable who knows, specially info about botw2 sounds like fake.
I like hik and he is pretty much spot on with his Valve stuff, I just don't think his sources on Nintendo Stuff are good.
He also made a Video a few months ago about how Valve was working on a Half-Life strategy game for Switch.
I trust him with Valve stuff even if he sometimes has weird theories in his videos that aren't really based on much, but something is off about everything to do with Nintendo he is reporting on.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
Hard to imagine they ever will. It's like a 50 person studio. I doubt they have the capacity to do anything particularly significant like an RPG without expanding, or a lot more outsourcing/partnerships. Maybe Aces big success will afford them some leeway, who knows.

But this is becoming a huge problem with a lot of Nintendo studios or affiliates:

Camelot
Retro
1-UP
Nd Cube
NST

All fit the diminished capacity category you describe. I mean look at AlphaDream, they were churning out Mario & Luigi RPG after Mario & Luigi RPG until one day people got sick of them and they collapsed soon after. Variety is very important for a studio's survival.

Deleted member 51982

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
The last thing Sabi leaked was the indie direct in march.
Before anyone else talked about it.
Why are we dismissing Sabi again?
I mean ye his antics are weird and that whole Smash "deconfirmation" thing was just dumb, but was he ever just wrong when he straight up leaked something instead of doing hollow teases that lead nowhere?
Most people just remember Sabi getting "conveniently" C&D'd right before leaking the Nintendo E3 2019 Direct and coat tailing on the idea there wouldn't be a Smash reveal at TGA, even if their deconfirmations were right. They seem to forget Sabi leaking the entire Indie World Showcase in Aug 2019 and were too upset when Sabi made the tweet breaking down the difference between what Zippo had heard (2 Directs in Feb) versus what they had heard (Indie Showcase in March) vs what they had both heard (Paper Mario). Doesn't matter much now anyway since they stopped and most of their info wasn't related to Nintendo.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
I really hope Nintendo bump up their top 10 to a top 20, because Switch sales are so strong we're losing out on tracking sales of big games. At least we'll get updates on everything from the financial year.

Sales milestones that should be crossed on May 7th:

- Animal Crossing enters the top 10 - at what position? Shipments could easily be 10 million plus, if so it overtakes Luigi, NSMBUDX, Super Mario Party and Splatoon 2
- Either Luigi's Mansion 3 or NSMB DX drop out of the top 10
- Splatoon 2 breaks 10 million sold
-

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
I like hik and he is pretty much spot on with his Valve stuff, I just don't think his sources on Nintendo Stuff are good.
He also made a Video a few months ago about how Valve was working on a Half-Life strategy game for Switch.
I trust him with Valve stuff even if he sometimes has weird theories in his videos that aren't really based on much, but something is off about everything to do with Nintendo he is reporting on.
Exactly, his Valve stuff is spot on, but Nintendo stuff sounds like not reliable.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But this is becoming a huge problem with a lot of Nintendo studios or affiliates:

Camelot
Retro
1-UP
Nd Cube
NST

All fit the diminished capacity category you describe. I mean look at AlphaDream, they were churning out Mario & Luigi RPG after Mario & Luigi RPG until one day people got sick of them and they collapsed soon after. Variety is very important for a studio's survival.

Short of Nintendo outright purchasing Camelot (and AlphaDream before they went bankrupt), there isn't really much that can be done here. Camelot can't just grow to a size that they can't maintain longterm, otherwise AD would have done that.

The other studios aren't really at risk to be closed down due to a "lack of variety".

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019

Camelot
Retro
1-UP
Nd Cube
NST

Calling it a 'huge problem' is a massive exaggeration. Even with their relatively low headcount (which is unconfirmed - the ~50 person headcount is from 2010, so is badly out of date), Camelot's most recent game was their most successful yet. That's hardly a harbinger of impending doom.

ND Cube will have produced two titles on Switch as well as the Animal Crossing mobile game and a 3DS title in the last 3 years, so there are hardly any signs of trouble there. Plus, if we take the out-of-date figure as indicative of Camelot's current headcount, ND Cube are twice the size of Camelot and a similar size to other Nintendo partners like Next Level.

Now Retro must obviously have had some problems, but we can't put that down to headcount - it could be bad management, or something on Nintendo's end that led to projects being cancelled. Stating their situation is somehow similar to Camelot not producing Golden Sun is nuts - Retro are lead developer on Metroid Prime 4, so whatever's happened over the last few years, Nintendo still trust them. We don't have any information there to say the future of the team is in doubt, because the future of the team involves finishing a high-profile project from a long-running Nintendo franchise. You don't get that investment if Nintendo think you're going to fail.

As for the other two, 1-Up have been an assistance studio for close to a decade now - since Super Mario 3D Land on 3DS. That's why they rebranded from Brownie Brown to 1-Up - they're an assistant developer, not a project lead studio. NST have also been on smaller projects for over a decade, since Nintendo gutted them following the whole Project HAMMER debacle. Neither company needs to be that big because their purpose isn't to lead development on individual projects so again, comparing either of them to Camelot doesn't hold up - Nintendo made the decision to downsize NST a decade ago.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
Short of Nintendo outright purchasing Camelot (and AlphaDream before they went bankrupt), there isn't really much that can be done here. Camelot can't just grow to a size that they can't maintain longterm, otherwise AD would have done that.

The other studios aren't really at risk to be closed down due to a "lack of variety".

You don't think Retro Studios, a studio that have been MIA for 7 years and weren't even first pick for Prime 4, aren't at risk of being closed?

If Prime 4 is a disaster, I genuinely think that's it for Retro, and I'm really not sure how anyone could believe otherwise.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You don't think Retro Studios, a studio that have been MIA for 7 years and weren't even first pick for Prime 4, aren't at risk of being closed?

If Prime 4 is a disaster, I genuinely think that's it for Retro, and I'm really not sure how anyone could believe otherwise.

They might get the NST treatment but it's been ages since a Nintendo-owned studio was outright shut down. And I'm not sure how much the liquidation of Marigul (and its affiliates/subsidiaries) was on Nintendo rather than Recruit. If Retro shits the bed with Prime 4, I wouldn't be surprised if they get either turned into a support studio or completely overhauled with Kelbaugh getting the boot.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
They might get the NST treatment but it's been ages since a Nintendo-owned studio was outright shut down. And I'm not sure how much the liquidation of Marigul (and its affiliates/subsidiaries) was on Nintendo rather than Recruit.
Yeah, NST is clearly an instructive experience. I don't think Nintendo will allow Prime 4 to be a failure - and the fact they trusted Retro with it suggests Nintendo still have a good degree of confidence in them - but there's no point in shuttering a wholly owned studio. It's Nintendo's developer, so they can turn it into another studio to assist with developing games, or remasters, or eShop titles.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
I can't help but wonder if ND Cube is working on something else asides from Clubhouse Games... or if their staff is split between maintaining Pocket Camp and working on Clubhouse.

Yeah, NST is clearly an instructive experience. I don't think Nintendo will allow Prime 4 to be a failure - and the fact they trusted Retro with it suggests Nintendo still have a good degree of confidence in them - but there's no point in shuttering a wholly owned studio. It's Nintendo's developer, so they can turn it into another studio to assist with developing games, or remasters, or eShop titles.

No! They're getting shut down because of reasons. They weren't even the first pick for Nintendo's biggest franchise, Metroid!

LokiGS

Jan 28, 2020
It has just occurred to me that Nintendo still has its investor meeting coming at the end of the month and that it still hasn't announced its line up. The main thing that will guide announcement timing is marketing strategy as opposed to investor relations but I do wonder if it makes a general (not mini) direct more likely this month.

So they can go into that meeting saying 'we will sell loads of Switches this year because Mario'.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
It has just occurred to me that Nintendo still has its investor meeting coming at the end of the month and that it still hasn't announced its line up. The main thing that will guide announcement timing is marketing strategy as opposed to investor relations but I do wonder if it makes a general (not mini) direct more likely this month.

So they can go into that meeting saying 'we will sell loads of Switches this year because Mario'.
May 7th for that meeting, this year, which is a week later than usual. Plus, if those reports on Mario are true, the reveal wasn't happening until June. Nate expects more news before May, so maybe Nintendo planned to announce their non-Mario projects this month before going big on the plumber in June. Things may have changed due to E3's cancellation and the Super Mario plans being plastered across the internet, but Nintendo are fond of marching to the beat of their own drum.

LokiGS

Jan 28, 2020
May 7th for that meeting, this year, which is a week later than usual. Plus, if those reports on Mario are true, the reveal wasn't happening until June. Nate expects more news before May, so maybe Nintendo planned to announce their non-Mario projects this month before going big on the plumber in June. Things may have changed due to E3's cancellation and the Super Mario plans being plastered across the internet, but Nintendo are fond of marching to the beat of their own drum.

I'm still not clear if they were planning to reveal Mario at E3 or if they were planning to do a massive Mario themed experience and promotion at E3.

Hard to to do both as would be bound to leak when you're building it at the convention centre.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
And I can't believe you are arguing whether soccer is more popular popular or not than American football.
Did someone just say american football > real football?

lmao

Literally nobody argued that.

Dark Cloud said a Mario (American) Football game would be cool and would have a non-niche base in NA to sell it to, which I agree with. He also said it would sell better than Strikers which is possible if it was well designed and given a good marketing budget, but I doubt it. That doesn't mean he thinks the sport itself is more popular.

Doesn't mean it's ever gonna happen, but he never even remotely implied American football is more popular than soccer.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I'm still not clear if they were planning to reveal Mario at E3 or if they were planning to do a massive Mario themed experience and promotion at E3.

Hard to to do both as would be bound to leak when you're building it at the convention centre.
That's a fair point. The original report states "The Super Mario 35th Anniversary reveal was originally due to take place as a physical event at E3 in June, VGC was told, but Nintendo is now reviewing its plans in light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic."

I guess whatever that means is open to interpretation, especially 'physical reveal' - because you could even infer 'press conference' from that, though why Nintendo would return to that approach I don't know - certainly, I expect an enormous showfloor Mario booth was planned. Maybe Nintendo's E3 Direct would have started on the showfloor?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
That's a fair point. The original report states "The Super Mario 35th Anniversary reveal was originally due to take place as a physical event at E3 in June, VGC was told, but Nintendo is now reviewing its plans in light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic."

I guess whatever that means is open to interpretation, especially 'physical reveal' - because you could even infer 'press conference' from that, though why Nintendo would return to that approach I don't know - certainly, I expect an enormous showfloor Mario booth was planned. Maybe Nintendo's E3 Direct would have started on the showfloor?

Nah it wouldn't have been a press conference. At the very most it could've been something similar to what they did for BotW in 2016, a single trailer followed by a booth tour and a bunch of treehouse footage.

But I even doubt that. It was probably going to be a normal E3 Direct but with a huge physical Mario presence at the show.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
God, I'd HOPE McVicker's info is bad - the narrative seems like one of the first things they thought of this time around, actually - but at the same time nothing will suprise me.

Is it possible to get a transcript of what exactly he said?

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
God, I'd HOPE McVicker's info is bad - the narrative seems like one of the first things they thought of this time around, actually - but at the same time nothing will suprise me.

Is it possible to get a transcript of what exactly he said?
what exactly? zelda info from week or more ago? or like that new info from tomorrow?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Remember Tyler Mcviker? Who said "info" about botw2 previously? Now he is saying that odyssey 2 is in development, paper mario is holiday title gameplay wise like older titles, botw2 was delayed because they don't like the story lol, seriously doubt that, and wii sports 3 was in development at one time they reused the minigames in new collections. Take it however you will, what i have heard that he is pretty much always correct with his Valve sources but i doubt that his Nintendo sources are reliable who knows, specially info about botw2 sounds like fake.

Is this the guy who talked about BOTW2 being non-linear at the start and the regions of Hyrule being overtaken by Ganon's miasma or whatever?

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
If anybody in the UK is interested in 51 Worldwide Games to the point they're confident of pre-ordering it, you can pre-order a physical copy for £28.95 from The Game Collection.

I've used them several times, especially last year - they tend to be cheaper than other UK retailers and they're reliable. I bought most of my physical copies from them last year.

You dont even have to be a UK resident to use the site, I think they offer shipping to most european countries for instance.
I'm swedish and i will vouche for TGC every single time.

Superb customer service, a neat cashback system, quite often pre-order bonuses and discounts and even the best standard prices around combined with super cheap shipping.

Used them for several years now and if I dont mind wait a couple of days (~5 days from UK-Sweden) I always use them.

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
The new info you mentioned, where he also talks about Oddysey 2 in development and such.

It's like 5-7minutes long. As i said i would don't give much attention to that, he is pretty much Valve sources guy, one friend who is watching his streams told me that he said "his Nintendo sources are not that great like Valve sources." Or something along those lines.

Kane

Oct 28, 2017

It's a miracle that they still even exist tbh.
I have little faith that they will be able to complete MP4...

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Tyler Mcviker is pretty far from being "close to always right". Even regarding Valve (VNN has had a pretty spotty reputation over the years due to the usual vague insider stuff that anybody could predict, outside of a few big ones).
He's been pretty bad regarding anything outside of Valve too...

edit: Liam is a good comparison point basically.

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
The opinion was not well received because it doesn't make sense which the Indie showcase and the Mini Direct in the last weeks perfectly demonstrated. Nintendo's primary goal is to make money and they make the most money by selling software and not with hardware.

Those are digital releases mainly.
Switch selling out isn't an issue, but selling out since there's an hold on production is a different animal.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Those are digital releases mainly.
Switch selling out isn't an issue, but selling out since there's an hold on production is a different animal.
Right, so if hardware revenue is reduced because hardware production is reduced, what sense does it make for Nintendo to hold off on launching games which will sell into its existing base? What sense does it make to further reduce their revenue and profit stream?

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Having a mini Direct then a General direct on April to focus on Mario on June doesn't make much sense unless their second half is packed, most likely they will have a mario themed Direct on june with one or two non Mario announcements.this year is gonna be a Mario year and not much more

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Having a mini Direct then a General direct on April to focus on Mario on June doesn't make much sense unless their second half is packed, most likely they will have a mario themed Direct on june with one or two non Mario announcements.this year is gonna be a Mario year and not much more
If Directs were only for first-party games sure, but Nintendo have plenty of third-party content, indie content and DLC stuff to talk about these days.

On top of that, Paper Mario, Super Mario All-Stars 2 and Super Mario 3D World would only account for 3 second-half retail releases from Nintendo. There'll be more than that.

EDIT: Should clarify - I'm not sure what to expect in terms of Direct scheduling, because the situation is obviously changing. But the pieces of information we have say Mario was planned for a June reveal, and Nate expects more news before May.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding this gameindustry.biz article from Chris Dring:
www.gamesindustry.biz

A Super Mario Christmas is the ideal counter to PS5 and Xbox Series X | Opinion

People buy Nintendo consoles because of Nintendo games. It's an old adage that is broadly true. If you're not intereste…

He states: " There are rumours of a 2D Metroid and a new racing title, but surely there has to be something else?"

I know there's been quite a bit of talk of a 2D metroid, but what rumored racing title could he be referring to? I know people have been speculating about the possibility of a new Mario Kart, but as far as I know that's pure speculation.

I'm gonna go ahead and be a masochist: new F-Zero baybee

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
If Directs were only for first-party games sure, but Nintendo have plenty of third-party content, indie content and DLC stuff to talk about these days.

On top of that, Paper Mario, Super Mario All-Stars 2 and Super Mario 3D World would only account for 3 second-half retail releases from Nintendo. There'll be more than that.

EDIT: Should clarify - I'm not sure what to expect in terms of Direct scheduling, because the situation is obviously changing. But the pieces of information we have say Mario was planned for a June reveal, and Nate expects more news before May.
I would be happy if im wrong but ust don't want to get my hopes up, another Direct this month would be awesome :P
Last mini Direct was so content starved that i wasn't expecting anything until june

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I would be happy if im wrong but ust don't want to get my hopes up, another Direct this month would be awesome :P
Last mini Direct was so content starved that i wasn't expecting anything until june
I was ok with the Mini (I'm set for 2 games this month and Xenoblade next month), but I wasn't initially expecting news till June, like yourself. Nate saying he expects something caught my attention though, because he's often reliable in what he shares. We'll all have to wait and see, unfortunately!

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Given harker and then nate

I'm expecting a Mario video to shadow drop on a Thursday before may 7th.
Announcing all the Mario games and paper Mario too

A few online 2d marios will shadow drop eshop or for nso

3dw deluxe for July.
PM for octoberish
Collection for November.

The video will only do Mario. (Maybe raddibs 2 will be there)

Status
Not open for further replies.