• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When is the next General Direct?

• This Week

Votes: 230 14.0%
  • Next Week

Votes: 557 34.0%
  • April

Votes: 192 11.7%
  • Never

Votes: 419 25.6%
  • OT8

Votes: 241 14.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
If John Harker was talking about an event to reveal the Mario anniversary festivities he probably heard about it courtesy of our friends at Ubisoft via Mario + Rabbids 2.

I don't think there will be Mario+ Rabbids 2. That would be a total overkill. Way too many Mario games. I think they could use another Nintendo franchise to have a crossover. Maybe Rayman & Kirby?

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I wish Nintendo would do for the Mario Party games what they're doing for the core Mario games.

Give me MP 1-5 remastered please.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think many of the current Switch owners have played Mario 64 to be honest. Gaming as a hobby as a lot of turnover, most people that had a N64 when they were kids probably stopped gaming years ago, and the game wasn't available on a current console for more than a decade.

I actually think they might have. Anecdotally I know quite a few people who casually played the N64 as kids and fell out of gaming by the time the Gamecube rolled around who now have kids of their own and have bought switches either for their kids or as the "family" system. with very well received Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, and Smash games (+Minecraft), I think it's done a pretty good job at bringing back a decent amount of people who lost interest in gaming for a decade or two.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
User warned: console warring
So Nintendo's big plan to deal with PS5 and XBOX SeX this holiday is... porting/remastering their entire Mario catalog? LMAO

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
For real though guys, I just pictured the Super Mario 64 HD icon right next to Crash Bandicoot on the Switch home menu and now I have a huge smile on my face. Having both of those (plus all of the other 3D Mario games) in a single console would be a dream come true for me.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So Nintendo's big plan to deal with PS5 and XBOX SeX this holiday is... porting/remastering their entire Mario catalog? LMAO
And it works!

275fabeb96da363da43e57b59a7cf758--gerador-memes-meme-photo.jpg

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I really just want release dates to get an idea of how July through December will pan out in terms of releases. If they stagger them they could last us until the end of the year, but I'm sure they have other titles they have ready for the end of the year as well.

And I don't think Paper Mario would be presented as the big holiday game of 2020, but it wouldnt be the first time.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think many of the current Switch owners have played Mario 64 to be honest. Gaming as a hobby as a lot of turnover, most people that had a N64 when they were kids probably stopped gaming years ago, and the game wasn't available on a current console for more than a decade.
I get where you're coming from, but I still don't think "cult classic" should be used to describe Super Mario 64. A game like Mischief Makers is a cult classic. Super Mario 64 is literally the highest selling N64 game of all time.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo's plan to deal with next gen consoles is to remaster some of the best games of all time...

...and Super Mario Sunshine too.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
HD versions with improved textures for Sunshine and Galaxy 2 would be awesome and would look great (I think Sunshine would look especially good), but I wonder what lengths they'll go to polish Super Mario 64.

As far as GOAT caliber, Mario 64 is up there with Final Fantasy 7. Hard to oversell how stoked people would be on a big remake; it'd be absolutely massive.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017

Nintendo isn't competing directly with Sony or Microsoft and no amount of Mario or Zelda or Metroid or whatever they can cook up is ever going to deter the bulk of people who actually want to buy and invest in a next generation console at launch. The pressure will be on to ensure people still pick up Switch units and software over the holiday period, but the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 will be something else entirely and that demographic is not ever going to stop and think "well shit, I could buy this incredibly advanced home console bringing in a new generation of hardware, alongside Halo Infinite / Horizon 2.....or I could buy a Nintendo Switch for Mario Odyssey 2". If they're banking on the former now they're going with that no matter what.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I love when Nintendo is tight-lipped for so long that their spot gets blown up. Hate to see it.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I don't think we should assume all these Mario titles are hitting retail. I mean, we've got Chris saying as much over in the Media Create thread, and let's remember how sloppily terms like 'remaster' are thrown around.

I really want the official news on this soon, so we know what we're getting. Really hoping Galaxy 2 is coming.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo isn't competing directly with Sony and Microsoft lol.
They haven't been for years, lol.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So...odyssey 2 in 2021? Cuz I highly doubt they're giving us five 3D Mario games in six months, between the three remasters, deluxe 3D World with new content, and then odyssey 2.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Nintendo is 100% competing with Sony and Microsoft lol stop it. They're vying for the same third-party software, trying to expand into that userbase; they have been for the last 3 years.

They're fighting new hardware launches with software and cheaper entry-points. This is even if the new consoles do launch this holiday, which I still think they won't.

Darrilium

Jan 3, 2020
I don't think we should assume all these Mario titles are hitting retail. I mean, we've got Chris saying as much over in the Media Create thread, and let's remember how sloppily terms like 'remaster' are thrown around.

I really want the official news on this soon, so we know what we're getting. Really hoping Galaxy 2 is coming.
Maybe there are other games being released, too? I don't think they'd miss on the opportunity of selling $60 retail 3D Mario games, even if they're remasters.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Nintendo: *Makes a Mini Direct that doesn't give much insight into their 2020 plans past May*

Gaming Journalists:

GrossDentalIlladopsis-size_restricted.gif

Honestly I hate gaming journalism's fetish for simply ruining surprises for no reason whatsoever beyond clicks. Even supposedly 'reputable' sites do it despite knowing that, for people who aren't themselves, it can only do harm.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017

I doubt they're concerned with the PS5 or Series X.

But yes, it does appear that the focus this year will primarily be on remastered Mario games. I think the new Paper Mario will be the "big" game for November.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
I just want a juicy trailer for BoTW2. I don't think i'd bite on any of the Mario stuff except for maybe Paper Mario, but just...gimme more info on Zelda.

But i'm happy for those that are excited by this.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
Nintendo: *Makes a Mini Direct that doesn't give much insight into their 2020 plans past May*

Gaming Journalists:

GrossDentalIlladopsis-size_restricted.gif

Honestly I hate gaming journalism's fetish for simply ruining surprises for no reason whatsoever beyond clicks. Even supposedly 'reputable' sites do it despite knowing that, for people who aren't themselves, it can only do harm.

It is kind of annoying. I like era so I have to hear about them but I would much rather just wait to hear about stuff honestly

Jan 16, 2020
With all of these Mario remasters coming, along with Paper Mario, and apparently even more Mario themed games...Odyssey 2 is definitely not coming and I don't think we're getting BotW 2 or another big title this holiday.

It seems the focus this year is on Mario, so I can see the new Paper Mario coming this November with Sunshine/Galaxy HD and the Pokemon DLC #2. 64 remaster and 3D World in September/October.
If these rumors are true - and I certainly believe that they may be as there are three credible sources reporting them - I think Nintendo wins 2020. This whole time we thought they'd release BOTW2 to counter PS5 and XBSX. I never dawned on us that they'd bring the megaton hammer. This is a bigger re-release as the Halo Collection. With that, the calendar is wide open at this point, so we'll wait to see how this all plays out. What a big annoucement.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
If these rumors are true - and I certainly believe that they may be as there are three credible sources reporting them - I think Nintendo wins 2020. This whole time we thought they'd release BOTW2 to counter PS5 and XBSX. I never dawned on us that they'd bring the megaton hammer. This is a bigger re-release as the Halo Collection. With that, the calendar is wide open at this point, so we'll wait to see how this all plays out. What a big annoucement.

Yeah but much more expensive than the Halo collection.
I suppose they will actually work at launch though

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but much more expensive than the Halo collection.
I suppose they will actually work at launch though
I think 64/Sunshine/galaxy will just be one collection

then 3D World deluxe with all the new levels, characters, content will be its own separate thing

then of course there's paper Mario as it's own thing

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So aside from the Mario bonanza, I'd assume we'll also get Super Mario Party 2. I wonder what non-Mario titles they'll fit in? Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD and 2d Metroid?

Oct 30, 2017
So I ordered a Switch last week through Best Buy and it's supposed to get here on Friday - status has said "getting order ready" for a few days now. Are they just pulling my leg??

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.