• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When is the next General Direct?

• This Week

Votes: 230 14.0%
  • Next Week

Votes: 557 34.0%
  • April

Votes: 192 11.7%
  • Never

Votes: 419 25.6%
  • OT8

Votes: 241 14.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Damn, all the insiders are coming to crash Arlo's party. So what the hell was the holiday game originally going to be then?
I don't think it was impossible it was going to be this year, at this point I do not believe it is going to be now unless 100% of Nintendo's resources are dedicated to it.

Seven years ago, Nintendo's ace against new consoles was Mario 3D World. This year is a lot tougher because, as of May, I'm not sure how big AAA video games are going to function on the same schedules.

Magic-Man

User requested ban
Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
I don't think it was impossible it was going to be this year, at this point I do not believe it is going to be now unless 100% of Nintendo's resources are dedicated to it.

Seven years ago, Nintendo's ace against new consoles was Mario 3D World. This year is a lot tougher because, as of May, I'm not sure how big AAA video games are going to function on the same schedules.
I am really starting to despise 2020.

Oct 25, 2017
If this is supposed to be a good year for Mario, then I wonder why we haven't seen anything yet. Maybe they'll do a Mario themed direct.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
I think this will be the year that we see a smaller game for the holidays. Still big, but not the monsters that were Super Mario Odyssey, Smash Ultimate and Pokémon SWSH.

Probably a Mario game.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I think the issue with Breath of the Wild 2 is folk have these hot take surefire assumptions about a project that they couldn't possibly know anything about. Not that they're claiming to, but with Breath of the Wild 2 any assumption of any kind as to when it is supposed to release, or intended to release, or might release, is far reaching conjecture from...extremely little information provided by Nintendo. On paper, officially, formally, the only details we technically know about Breath of the Wild 2 is that it exists. That's it.

The whole "it must release holiday 2020, that makes sense!" was an assumption churned about by the internet. And I get the rational. But the rational only works if you exclude the enormity of other potential software Nintendo might have in the pipes, and company direction, and project plans, that nobody here or elsewhere knows about. Or, in short, "Breath of the Wild 2 for Holiday 2020" only makes sense if you decide it makes sense, in absence of knowing anything at all about Nintendo's other plans. Because all it takes is, for example, something like Super Mario Odyssey 2 or whatever to have long been on track and intended for Holiday 2020 and suddenly that BOTW2=2020 plan makes less sense.

It's all been assumptions on top of assumptions. Assumptions largely to fill the void in the absence of information. Realistically though nobody knows, or knew, what the remainder of 2020 will look like. Or what Nintendo's production pipeline looks like, and what they have intended 2020 to look like. And I get it, because in my head BOTW2=2020 makes a lot of sense to me, but it's also entirely possible Nintendo have never even considered it a 2020 title. We simply don't know, and they've honestly given no indication either way.

Throwing around COVID-19 inevitably impacting the production pipelines and who honestly fucking knows when we'll see Breath of the Wild 2 or anything else of that matter.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I think the issue with Breath of the Wild 2 is folk have these hot take surefire assumptions about a project that they couldn't possibly know anything about. Not that they're claiming to, but with Breath of the Wild 2 any assumption of any kind as to when it is supposed to release, or intended to release, or might release, is far reaching conjecture from...extremely little information provided by Nintendo. On paper, officially, formally, the only details we technically know about Breath of the Wild 2 is that it exists. That's it.

The whole "it must release holiday 2020, that makes sense!" was an assumption churned about by the internet. And I get the rational. But the rational only works if you exclude the enormity of other potential software Nintendo might have in the pipes, and company direction, and project plans, that nobody here or elsewhere knows about. Or, in short, "Breath of the Wild 2 for Holiday 2020" only makes sense if you decide it makes sense, in absence of knowing anything at all about Nintendo's other plans. Because all it takes is, for example, something like Super Mario Odyssey 2 or whatever to have long been on track and intended for Holiday 2020 and suddenly that BOTW2=2020 plan makes less sense.

It's all been assumptions on top of assumptions. Assumptions largely to fill the void in the absence of information. Realistically though nobody knows, or knew, what the remainder of 2020 will look like. Or what Nintendo's production pipeline looks like, and what they have intended 2020 to look like. And I get it, because in my head BOTW2=2020 makes a lot of sense to me, but it's also entirely possible Nintendo have never even considered it a 2020 title. We simply don't know, and they've honestly given no indication either way.

Throwing around COVID-19 inevitably impacting the production pipelines and who honestly fucking knows when we'll see Breath of the Wild 2 or anything else of that matter.
I agree, the fact of the matter is that we know jack one way or another.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017

You're probably right.

Though I feel whatever the holiday game(s) is going to be, the bolded probably going to happen. Especially with how Nintendo (any normal year that is) being very reliant on the Holiday quarter.. they need to bring something fancy.

Aug 25, 2019
I'd certainly expect something - be it a Direct or some sort of announcement, within the next several weeks; meaning between now and early May.
Going into 2019, we already heard of some major first party games releasing in that year. In February, SMM2 and Links Awakening were added to that list. April of 2020 is almost here, and we've only had AC (which was actually planned for 2019). Oh and Clubhouse Games (and that Good Job thing) but those aren't big first party games.

It has to be a Direct.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Does anyone remember Lost Reavers on WiiU?
1551474323_640247_1551474426_sumario_normal.jpg

It was a very rough online multiplayer action game, and not gonna lie: I enjoyed it. I don't know if it was the lack of games from those days, but I really liked it, even if it was a technical mess. I wish there was something similar on Switch to play with my friends in this quarantine. Suggestions?

Never played that one, but I have been playing a lot of Warface, Dead by Daylight, Overwatch and of course Splatoon 2.

Switch has a lot of online Team MP games.

The real thing it's missing is a godamn good traditional MMORPG.

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
Never played that one, but I have been playing a lot of Warface, Dead by Daylight, Overwatch and of course Splatoon 2.

Switch has a lot of online Team MP games.

The real thing it's missing is a godamn good traditional MMORPG.
Oh! I forgot Warface was on Switch already! Might try that one.
A couple of us want to play Splatoon together but we need 4 players. Unfortunately not all my friends bought what I've been telling them is one of the best Switch games.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Damn, all the insiders are coming to crash Arlo's party. So what the hell was the holiday game originally going to be then?
Arlo made it pretty clear he was just speculating and is more than likely wrong.

Not sure why some people are always so quick to make fun of him of feel the need to correct him. He's one of the only Nintendo related channels who can praise Nintendo but also be honest if they do something stupid. Channels like player essence for example are basically Nintendo fanboy pages and in my opinion much worse because of that

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
All I know is that it seemed impossible to me that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 would make 2017 and yet it did.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All I know is that it seemed impossible to me that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 would make 2017 and yet it did.
Monolith is by far Nintendo's most efficient studio. Looking at the release years between the original XB, X, XB2, Torna, and XB:DE... they really are able to pump out very large scale games at a great pace. Not to mention all the support they do on other Nintendo first party titles like various Zelda games, Animal Crossing, and more.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
The retailer I pre-ordered my XC DE Collectors edition sent me a text that my order was currently being picked and I could no longer change it. They always sent texts like this the day before it usually arrives.

They obviously messed up.. but for a split second I had this huge smile on my face before coming back to reality :P

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sony people are expecting a full next gen Horizon 2 to be a launch game for PS5, which seems even more farfetched than a Zelda sequel using the same technology.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
It has one but just not in english. And I think there are some mobile ports?

Right now, if Im not mistaken, it has:

- Warframe (MMO-Lite, played 150h of it already and love it, but it's far from the "traditional" MMORPG)
- DC Universe Online (it´s...average lol)
- Onigiri (horrible)
- Elemental Knights Online (horrible)
- PSO2 (only Japan)
- Dragon Quest X (only Japan)

A so called Project Eternal was announced last year, but it has since been dead, nothing besides the announcement trailer.

Would love, really love, to see either ESO, FFXIV or PSO2 (west and native client, not cloud) but...no hope at all.

This is basically why I am not fully satisfied with the Switch and why I keep getting hungry for new Directs. I need a good old fashioned quality MMORPG on the go lol

Oh! I forgot Warface was on Switch already! Might try that one.
A couple of us want to play Splatoon together but we need 4 players. Unfortunately not all my friends bought what I've been telling them is one of the best Switch games.

Warfase runs pretty well and it's always full.

Splatoon 2 is one of the best games this gen, hands down. Best OST ever.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I'm going to assume the next major Direct is around what would have been E3. I'm not pretending that's down to some insight or even any proper reasoning - moreso that I'm actually ok with releases for the next couple of months. I'll be making my way through Xenoblade in June itself. At this point, I'd be happy with a June Direct that confirms a strong run of software from July into early 2021.

Weird that Flipnote Studio for Switch is a thing and Nintendo didn't announce it in the Mini. I mean, we've seen they're happy announcing stuff via Youtube, but Flipnote Studio seems like the kind of small bonus that would've made sense in a Mini. Is there any indication it's coming soon? I can't see any potential release date on the websites that have picked the news up.

boyifyoudont

Feb 10, 2018
Damn, the Flipnote Switch rumor made Flipnote trend #2 on JP twitter, just below the Ken Shimura news. Lots of nostalgia for it it seems.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I won't be surprised if Paper Mario RPG is pushed as the big holiday game along with Pokémon dlc.

2021 will be BotW 2, Odyssey 2 and Metroid Prime 4 (not really)

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Colopl has acquired Mages. Hopefully that won't negatively affect the development of the Famicom Detective Club remakes.

Coríu

Feb 27, 2018
Asturies
H1 Primary Nintendo Products - Nintendo Switch (West)

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2. 1-2-Switch
3. Snipperclips: Cut it out, together!
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
5. ARMS

1. Dragon Quest Builders
2. Bayonetta
3. Bayonnetta 2
4. Kirby Star Allies
5. Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 01: Variety Kit
6. Nintendo Labo Toy Con 02: Robot Kit
7. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
8. Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition
9. Pokémon Quest
10. Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido
11. Mario Tennis Aces

1. Fitness Boxing
2. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
3. Tetris 99
4. Yoshi's Crafted World
5. Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 04: VR Kit
6. Box Boy+Box Girl!
7. Cadence of Hyrule – Crypt of the NecroDancer Featuring The Legend of Zelda
8. Super Mario Maker 2

1. Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training for Nintendo Switch
2. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore
3. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX
4. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
5. Good Job
6. Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
7. Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics

Nice list, thanks! I think you're missing Flip Wars, which came out in May 2017?

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Flipnote shows Nintendo are really focused on bringing their handheld properties to Switch. Brain Training, Flipnote, Animal Crossing (sort of handheld) and Clubhouse Games coming in the first half of 2020 is an interesting strategy - presumably targeting the expanded audience that got into Nintendo back on DS. I wonder if we'll see any more this year? Maybe Nintendogs at the end of the year. I could see Tomodachi happening further down the line.

What other handheld properties are missing that would appear? As much as I'd love to see older handheld franchises like Wario Land or Golden Sun reappear, I don't think that's happening (Wario Land probably has a higher chance than Golden Sun, given Good-Feel are about). We're probably looking at games that shifted more than 2 or 3 million units globally being given another lease of life, and which fit into the 'casual' or 'expanded audience' category.

Nintendogs and Tomodachi seem like obvious bets. Honestly, I'd have never guessed on either Clubhouse or Flipnote. The first passed me by on DS and I didn't realise how successful it was here in the UK (double-platinum, so 600k plus), and I'd forgotten about the latter. What else is there? Art Academy (was this successful commercially)? Rhythm Heaven?

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
Flipnote shows Nintendo are really focused on bringing their handheld properties to Switch. Brain Training, Flipnote, Animal Crossing (sort of handheld) and Clubhouse Games coming in the first half of 2020 is an interesting strategy - presumably targeting the expanded audience that got into Nintendo back on DS. I wonder if we'll see any more this year? Maybe Nintendogs at the end of the year. I could see Tomodachi happening further down the line.

What other handheld properties are missing that would appear? As much as I'd love to see older handheld franchises like Wario Land or Golden Sun reappear, I don't think that's happening (Wario Land probably has a higher chance than Golden Sun, given Good-Feel are about). We're probably looking at games that shifted more than 2 or 3 million units globally being given another lease of life, and which fit into the 'casual' or 'expanded audience' category.

Nintendogs and Tomodachi seem like obvious bets. Honestly, I'd have never guessed on either Clubhouse or Flipnote. The first passed me by on DS and I didn't realise how successful it was here in the UK (double-platinum, so 600k plus), and I'd forgotten about the latter. What else is there? Art Academy (was this successful commercially)? Rhythm Heaven?
You forgot one of the actual relevant million sellers on handheld called Style Savvy.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017

They also highlighted last years holiday with a handheld franchise. It's definately been what they are going for right now..
I hope they cater to us home console fans at least a bit in the second half of the year :P

I'm honestly not so sure about Nintendogs coming to the Switch. It feels like the most obvious Nintendo franchise to hit Mobile but still nothing.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Kalypso Media and Koch Media have reached an agreement and Tropico 6 will come to Switch. I wonder if that will mean more ports from them.
They also highlighted last years holiday with a handheld franchise. It's definately been what they are going for right now..
I hope they cater to us home console fans at least a bit in the second half of the year :P

I'm honestly not so sure about Nintendogs coming to the Switch. It feels like the most obvious Nintendo franchise to hit Mobile but still nothing.

How are Super Mario Party and Smash Bros "handheld franchises".

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really thinking more and more that it's Odyssey 2 this holiday, especially with Emily's continued emphasis on Mario having a good year. I really can't see any other "big holiday title" that's not going to be Zelda that's up their sleeves, considering Pokemon will just have its DLC, Mario Kart is a no-show, etc. Yeah, gotta be a Mario platformer on its way.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
You forgot one of the actual relevant million sellers on handheld called Style Savvy.
Yeah, I've hardly played any of these titles! Most of them don't interest me, outside of Animal Crossing and Tomodachi Life. Style Savvy had several sequels on 3DS, apparently, but I'm not seeing anything about how big it is commercially. But it certainly fits the 'expanded audience' criteria.

Status
Not open for further replies.