• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When is the next General Direct?

• This Week

Votes: 230 14.0%
  • Next Week

Votes: 557 34.0%
  • April

Votes: 192 11.7%
  • Never

Votes: 419 25.6%
  • OT8

Votes: 241 14.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Reviewing the line-up again ... TMS #FE, Trials of Mana, XenoblaDE, Trails of Cold Steel III, Catherine: Full Body and Bravely Default II + whatever might be announced additionally... Yeah, this is a pretty good year already. Cool, cool.

KeliosFR

May 27, 2018
Kalos
No worries, and thanks for responding. I'm sorry if it came across as questioning your credibility; it was more that a lot of people in here took your tweet to mean there was no Direct today, and I was advising them to not overreact and immediately jump to that conclusion (I know, lol...) because nobody bats 1.000 on these things, even insiders.

While you're in here (since this has been a hot topic) if you had to guess why the Direct was pushed from late-February to late-March, do you think this was as a result of COVID-19, wanting to wait for after Animal Crossing released, or a combination of both/other factors?
The direct is planned on march 26th since beginning of february
Interesting, thanks.
To be honest, it's not true, the date of the direct was March 26th from the beginning, they didn't postpone because of covid-19

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I think the line up for the first half of the year isn't really bad. I think it's better than 2018 at least but the lack of any game announcements for H2 except for maybe Bravely Default makes it hard to appreciate the stuff that is coming. We literally have nothing to look forward to past H1. I hope the release dates are figured out soon and that Nintendo can facilitate working from home on a timely fashion so that things won't get delayed too much.

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019

To be honest, it's not true, the date of the direct was March 26th from the beginning, they didn't postpone because of covid-19

Do you know if it was cut down last minute to account for uncertainty with the new development times?

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Even if Corona had an impact on their marketing, its still very strange that they didn't talk about their second half yet, especially with such a bare first half.
I think we're gonna see what Microsoft and Sony are doing, maybe even before June, and if they still got most of their stuff on track, its safe to say that Nintendo will either A) announce their games for H2 in June or B) they don't have a really good line-up this year. Microsoft and Sony will need to deliver their new consoles AND a decent amount of launch titles, and I'm eager to hear if they will handle it. If so, there's really no excuse for Nintendo. We're currently at the peak of the Switch's life (going by time/years).

Not at all, they cant talk about 2nd half titles yet because Corona Virus obviously is effecting on game development, and they dont know for how long and how much Corona Virus will keep affecting game development.
Its much more cleaver to wait and see how old situation will be in next couple of months, than rush some big this years announcements that maybe want come this year, especially now when they just released one of biggest system seller games so they dont need to talk now about other big potential this years games.

That apply for all gaming companies currently, not just for Nintendo.

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Why didn't you grab Astral Chain if you liked what you saw and didn't have it.

I honestly can't put my finger on why.

I was hyped by the game when it was announced and I was following all the coverage and stuff but the more I saw of it... the more samey and repetitive the entire game looked. The areas look exactly the same, the enemies look pretty similar, and honestly the gameplay began to look extremely repetitive.

I have no idea how true any of that is about the final game but that's why it slowly began to fall off my radar. I think I'll get it eventually but Animal Crossing won out for me because I could honestly use something relaxing right now.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

My question to Nate was whether it was original planned to be a full Direct or was always going to be a mini, not whether the date ever changed.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Which makes me even more curious was this was hyped up to be a big one.

Seems like Harker was talking about the "big" one we've been wanting.

I don't count the mini as a proper direct since there was no first party showing

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I still think Harker wasn't talking about Directs, but about BotW 2 and MP4, given that the thread he posted about this had those two games specifically named.

MegaShadowX

Feb 5, 2019
There are a lot of people who are re-discovering Golden Sun.

I would love a remake of the first two from the perspective of being told to Matthew, Karis, and Tyrell as kids by Isaac, Jenna, Garret, and Felix. I would like a "director's cut" of Dark Dawn with fixes like larger text boxes, the ability to backtrack, and other QOL fixes.

That would be amazing! Sounds like a great idea, send it to Camelot XD

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Reviewing the line-up again ... TMS #FE, Trials of Mana, XenoblaDE, Trails of Cold Steel III, Catherine: Full Body and Bravely Default II + whatever might be announced additionally... Yeah, this is a pretty good year already. Cool, cool.
So many JRPGs. I have already played TMS #FE in January. I am finishing Atelier Ryza from my backlog. I think that instead of buying Animal Crossing I will get the DLC of Fire Emblem and will play it, plus another route. Then I am considering to get Trials of Mana in April, and I will 100% get XenoblaDE in May. Since I love JRPGs, this H1 is really packed for RPGs for me. I am commiting the full H1 to JRPGs and Visual Novels that I haven't finished yet.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't count the mini as a proper direct since there was no first party showing

Sigh....

This simply is not true. Even if you discount Good Job there was still Clubhouse Games which was actually a relatively big franchise on the DS. Both first party games.

I still think Harker wasn't talking about Directs, but about BotW 2 and MP4, given that the thread he posted about this had those two games specifically named.

The phrasing makes no sense if he was referring to the games. He said "the one" he'd heard about isn't so soon. He couldn't have been talking about anything other than a Direct. Probably the E3/June Direct.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Then I am considering to get Trials of Mana in April,
If you don't mind me asking: what platform are you going to get it on? I've got a rather strong opinion re: Switch vs PS4 version; still, I find myself playing the Demo on Switch a lot more than on PS4, lmao, even though I practically trashed the Switch version in the ToM thread and praised the PS4 one to the heights of heaven (well, not that drastically, but it felt like this to me, haha).
I am commiting the full H1 to JRPGs and Visual Novels that I haven't finished yet.
Yup, same for me. Good times for fans of the genres.

And don't get me started on my backlog of JRPGs...

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Sigh....

This simply is not true. Even if you discount Good Job there was still Clubhouse Games which was actually a relatively big franchise on the DS. Both first party games.

I'm not overly disappointed about it. It's just my personal stance on the mini format. It was a third party show.

Bioshock is my favorite game of all time. If that hadn't already leaked, I'd have certainly come out of this a little more excited.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not overly disappointed about it. It's just my personal stance on the mini format. It was a third party show.

Bioshock is my favorite game of all time. If that hadn't already leaked, I'd have certainly come out of this a little more excited.

I'm not saying you have to be excited about it, I was pretty underwhelmed by the whole thing myself.

But the more people repeat these falsehoods ("no new first party games") the more people will see them and think they are true. I'm simply trying to correct you on that.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sigh....

While you are technically correct, that board game collection (I wonder if there are really people playing board games on a console) was developed by Agenda. And good job looks like your typical indie game. So it's logical why people don't count these games. I don't think you need to correct them.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I think, assuming the pandemic doesn't get even worse from July onwards (when it should have peaked in most countries currently experiencing outbreaks), the overall 2020 line-up should still be strong. There are big question marks not just over development schedule, but also distribution chains and the retail environment that will affect publishers' decision-making.

There's no mistaking that right now Nintendo's software line-up is, with the exception of Animal Crossing and to a lesser extent Xenoblade DE, really low-key for the first half. It's obviously a blank slate for the second. But if we encompass indies and third-parties, then 2020 will be a good year even if Nintendo's output doesn't match 2019 or 2017. I'm pretty sure that's what Emily meant when she's been saying 2020 would be a good year - that the overall first and third-party line-up was strong, rather than Nintendo's line-up in isolation. That's the impression I got from talking to her in a previous thread, because she responded to me raising the point that third-party content this year was looking promising, and listed a mixture of first- and third-party games.

Funny thing is, despite the first-half being a low-key one for Nintendo, Q2 is good for me. Looks like I'll be getting three titles at retail across April and May. Other funny thing is I guessed on Wednesday that the lack of an announcement meant we were getting a shadow-dropped Mini with a short-term focus (a few people dismissed that idea), so my expectations were well and truly checked ahead of time.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
If you don't mind me asking: what platform are you going to get it on? I've got a rather strong opinion re: Switch vs PS4 version; still, I find myself playing the Demo on Switch a lot more than on PS4, lmao, even though I practically trashed the Switch version in the ToM thread and praised the PS4 one to the heights of heaven (well, not that drastically, but it felt like this to me, haha).

Yup, same for me. Good times for fans of the genres.

And don't get me started on my backlog of JRPGs...

After Atelier Ryza, the only JRPGs in my backlog are Final Fantasy X and X-2. I bought Ryza together with the two FF on January, for around 45€ on sale, and I didn't expect that I would have played it so early.
About ToM, since I don't have a PS4 I will get it on Switch. I watched some comparative videos and the PS4 versions seems quite better, so you think that you would appreciate better performance over portability, I would suggest you the PS4. For me, instead, portability has always been essential, since most of the times I was used to play in the commute (until lockdown started), so I would have got it on Switch even though I had a PS4. About that, the only game which made me near to buy a PS4 was Persona 5, but I endured the temptation since it would have been too long to play without a handheld console. Now there are P5R and FF7R, but again I am sure I will hold out.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
While you are technically correct, that board game collection (I wonder if there are really people playing board games on a console) was developed by Agenda. And good job looks like your typical indie game. So it's logical why people don't count these games. I don't think you need to correct them.

I heard Clubhouse Games is developed by ND Cube, who's essentially a first party developer.

Also the game sold close to 3M or so back on the DS, there's absolutely a market for it. It's actually a relatively big game.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I heard Clubhouse Games is developed by ND Cube, who's essentially a first party developer.

Also the game sold close to 3M or so back on the DS, there's absolutely a market for it. It's actually a relatively big game.
I dare say that Clubhouse Games is going to sell much more than something like Astral Chain.

The standard for whether or not a game counts is entirely subjective.

Deleted member 63139

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2020

Like you said,...but the thing it's all about the timing in early February people would have reacted differently,.. after waiting that long (regardless of current events, the drought really started before) people expected more, please look at the February 2019 direct ;). In addition I would also add that the region in the pokemon pack 1 looks really small...disappointing.

Now, personally speaking, I just have too many games to finish so not a problem and Xenoblade is...let's just say I ordered the collector edition and will play the heck out of it.

BUT if that E3 direct is underwhelming (I don't care if some people think we will not have a june direct, the same said we won't have a direct at all) that is definitely going to be a problem and might hold back on the Switch as I would not feel that Nintendo is doing enough. I'm rather confident because with Bayonetta 3 and BOTW2 + new games I can't see how.

Oct 28, 2019
Unfortunatly here in Quebec city we are in lockdown exept for essential business so expect some delay ( as for many other games) :( !

Shit, hope it works out for them.

That game looks really good. I hope it's still alive. We haven't heard anything in ages.

It's supposed to be released as one of the three AAA titles (probably alongside Watch Dogs and Assassin's Creed) between October and December. I guess it's the December game.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Hey.

Even when I know nobody will give a fuck about this, I am just passing by to say that given we are not getting a Direct till probably June, I am going to leave this thread for the upcoming months.

I entered here after the pathetic mini Direct of yesterday and folks were already discussing about things we don´t know exist or not. I think this is not healty for me, and I don´t think it is for you neither, but hey, to each his own. I am pretty disappointed with Nintendo and with its 2020, at least with the first half of it. I can´t believe we don´t know much more than a few days ago.

In the meantime, I will take care of my backlog.

Have a nice one and be safe!

JustALurker

Feb 12, 2019
They really are throwing everything into the end of May. I'm slightly confused by the decision to release all 3 2K games on the 29th... alongside Xenoblade Chronicles DE and TLOU2.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
If true then what the hell went wrong with the development pipeline?

They must be thanking their lucky stars that AC had to be delayed.

One of two things happened with AC (or possibly a combination of both):

1) Nintendo intentionally delayed it strategically out of a packed H2 2019 (my bet)

2) Nintendo pushed back some other Q1/H1 2020 games when they delayed AC

This idea that AC being delayed was lucky for them or something is nonsense, this was deliberately planned.

OP
OP
chase beck

chase beck

Banned
Jan 3, 2018

1) Nintendo intentionally delayed it strategically out of a packed H2 2019 (my bet)

This idea that AC being delayed was lucky for them or something is nonsense, this was deliberately planned.
I think it's a mix of both, it helped avoid crunch scoring them "points" - if you will - in the eyes of the public, as well as helped align their 2020 schedule.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I sure hope it's the latter. The former would make them soaking up the free PR from crunch related questions super scummy.

MusicProposition

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
I'm very sure that this is the case. The second half of 2019 was packed. I don't think they delayed it to have something in H1 2020, but just because it would be too much to release it in 2019. Remember, they did the same thing with Tropical Freeze. It was supposed to launch extremely close to Mario 3D World which is a very similar type of game, and it had a concrete release date. I'm sure that they delayed it to give the two games more room to shine when Nintendo had not much else in the works.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
With the legs that Super Mario Party is having, it seems like a good idea to make another type of casual game and leave Super Mario Party 2 for 2021.

I say ND Cube should make a party game themed around a different Nintendo franchise next time. For example, Panel de Party, or The Mysterious Murasame Party.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
I still have a voucher left, but besides BOTW 2 I don't see anything to spend it on.

Maybe I'll get Pokemon after all.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

I think Nintendo would have delayed other games before AC if it was just a matter of evening out their release schedule for strategic reasons.

I think the simplest explanation is the correct one: the game just needed more time. I mean, they pushed it back to the very end of the fiscal year and they're releasing the holiday content as DLC updates. If that doesn't say AC wasn't going to be a 2019 product (or at least not a good one), I don't know what does.

Status
Not open for further replies.