• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When is the next General Direct?

• This Week

Votes: 230 14.0%
  • Next Week

Votes: 557 34.0%
  • April

Votes: 192 11.7%
  • Never

Votes: 419 25.6%
  • OT8

Votes: 241 14.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
Yeah mate, updates to the biggest launch game of all time in Japan def don't belong in a direct. Rofl
I admit some of that is me personally getting sick of Animal Crossing dominating all the news lately, but I would argue that yeah, they don't.

A Direct should just be new game announcements, release date trailers, shadow drops, etc. for games that have not yet released. No DLC, no updates, or anything like that. If a game has already released, then it should not be mentioned for any reason again in a Direct.

... or at least that's how it would be if it were up to me :P

Wayoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo can survive the pandemic with AC and SwSh DLC alone.

everyone should be more respectful of these trying times

jimmer kripper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
I admit some of that is me personally getting sick of Animal Crossing dominating all the news lately, but I would argue that yeah, they don't.

A Direct should just be new game announcements, release date trailers, shadow drops, etc. for games that have not yet released. No DLC, no updates, or anything like that. If a game has already released, then it should not be mentioned for any reason again in a Direct.

well no offense but good thing you don't manage Nintendo's marketing aha

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

That's how directs honestly kind of were, but that changed over time. The last two directs were mostly all ports and updates and dlc.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Nate ever said it would be March 12th, or even early March.

All he originally said was if it wasn't in March he'd be surprised.
I remember him saying that nintendo just wanted the ac direct out of the way for thay big marketing push, and that he could easily see a direct in the first two weeks.
IIRC (at the risk of putting words in Nate's mouth), Nate speculated there was a late-April release and that early March would make sense for a Direct to announce such a game. I think that was the extent of it.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
That's how directs honestly kind of were, but that changed over time. The last two directs were mostly all ports and updates and dlc.
Yeah, people say "the new ones are nice fast paced", and "no boring developer interviews" , but they also fill them up with "do you still remember the trailer 3 months ago" or "for the 6 monts old game there will new a new item and a patch, muchos important, go buy it". I'll take the developer interviews and stuff over this.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, people say "the new ones are nice fast paced", and "no boring developer interviews" , but they also fill them up with "do you still remember the trailer 3 months ago" or "for the 6 monts old game there will new a new item and a patch, muchos important, go buy it". I'll take the developer interviews and stuff over this.
Yea. It is basically trading filler for filler, but imo less interesting filler.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
If they had planned to launch a game for April that requires a peripheral like Ring Fit or LABO it would be a waste of money to do it right now.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I remember him saying that nintendo just wanted the ac direct out of the way for thay big marketing push, and that he could easily see a direct in the first two weeks.

You may wanna find a source for that because I don't remember him indicating any possibility for the first two weeks. I don't think he ever discounted them as possibilities (until midway through the week) but I also don't remember him expressing that they could work.

omg do you not know about the pandemic?
how about an elbow bump?

I've been teaching my toddler how to air five for the past couple weeks.

Sad times.

BestTestie

Banned
Jan 13, 2020
Okay, so quick question here: General Direct before "E3" Direct? Am going with no.
At this point they might as well save everything for E3, it's only 2 months away. We know their April/May lineup is fucking dead outside of Xenoblade now. Have a huge blowout E3 Direct to compete with the PS5/XBSEX news cycles and generate hype that way.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
You may wanna find a source for that because I don't remember him indicating any possibility for the first two weeks. I don't think he ever discounted them as possibilities (until midway through the week) but I also don't remember him expressing that they could work.

I've been teaching my toddler how to air five for the past couple weeks.

Sad times.
He definitely said a direct before AC could happen. No way I'm finding the exact posts, but he said back even before the ac direct that he was hinting that an ac direct needs to happen first, and then he could see the general one happening.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
A lot of people were speculating it was pikmin 3, that supposedly has been sat on for a long time.
When there was that speculation there was no pandemic. It is likely that they have delayed remasters for more important dates, we already know that Nintendo prioritizes the second half of the year. It would be more catastrophic for them to have that part of the year empty than this one.

Oct 26, 2017
When there was that speculation there was no pandemic. It is likely that they have delayed remasters for more important dates, we already know that Nintendo prioritizes the second half of the year. It would be more catastrophic for them to have that part of the year empty than this one.

Mario 3D World probably being Nintendo's big game for Holiday 2020 is gonna be a little catastrophic, lol.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
At this point they might as well save everything for E3, it's only 2 months away. We know their April/May lineup is fucking dead outside of Xenoblade now. Have a huge blowout E3 Direct to compete with the PS5/XBSEX news cycles and generate hype that way.
I wouldn't expect a blowout direct at this point with delays. It might be announcing a lot of ports to fill the second half.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Nate might be right and its best for us to just throw expectations we had for 2020 out the window. Covid is throwing things into flux, so maybe expect wii u and 3rd party ports and hope for more.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
Exactly! I kind of miss how they used to be. Other than BOTW2 at E3, it feels like the last one that I really liked was February 2019.

Actually that's too harsh, I liked the last few just fine, I just wish there was less update filler and more new info. But as I said, I've been feeling that way for over a year.

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
There weren't any new announcements in the Mini that I'm particularly interested in, though I'm glad we got more info on Bravely Default 2 (which looks way better than it did in its Game Awards trailer), a confirmed May release date for XCDE, and a Panzer Dragoon shadowdrop.

Also, while I'm not a big Bioshock, XCOM, or Borderlands fan, it's good to see 2K committing so hard to the Switch. Guess Civ 6 must have been a huge success. Similarly, I think I already have Burnout Paradise buried somewhere in my Steam library, but seeing EA putting anything at all on the Switch feels like a [Biden]big fucking deal[/Biden].

Most surprising omission for me was the lack of first party Wii U ports. Given the rumors that Pikmin 3 and 3D World are ready to go, it's odd that Nintendo wouldn't use or or both to fill the holes they seem to have in their lineup in June and July.

Honestly, it felt like this was about making announcements that absolutely, positively could not wait until E3 June. And I guess that's fair. I imagine it's challenging to figure out how to strike the right tone at a moment like this.

BestTestie

Banned
Jan 13, 2020
I wouldn't expect a blowout direct at this point with delays. It might be announcing a lot of ports to fill the second half.
Who knows what's going to happen because of the Pandemic. They should still do a blowout direct with (presumably) Paper Mario, Metroid 5, BOTW2, and so on if they were originally scheduled for this year.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Who knows what's going to happen because of the Pandemic. They should still do a blowout direct with (presumably) Paper Mario, Metroid 5, BOTW2, and so on if they were originally scheduled for this year.
Nintendo doesn't do that though. They like showing stuff close to release and not beta tier, especially after prime 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.