• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When is the next General Direct?

• This Week

Votes: 230 14.0%
  • Next Week

Votes: 557 34.0%
  • April

Votes: 192 11.7%
  • Never

Votes: 419 25.6%
  • OT8

Votes: 241 14.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
If anything, now is the likeliest time for an ARMS sequel to pop up. MK Tour is out and needs minimal maintenance, MK9 surely is not coming to Switch 1 and Nintendo is pushing ARMS hard, especially since they decide who gets to be in the Smash Fighters Pass.

It looks like there is indeed a sequel incoming.

I find it a bit weird that they'd tell use which series it's from but not who it is (reveal trailer delay aside, they could have just not said anything and waited), so here's a prediction:

There's going to be a sequel, revealed in June, and the Smash character is going to be the main protagonist of the new game's Story Mode.

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
Some of y'all really need to read Nate's tweets about why Nintendo's original plan was always to have a direct after giving AC the spotlight. Read all his replies here:
Yep, but it seems like at least for me that they have General Direct planned after AC, but obviously covid-19 striked hard on first party schedule so they just did Mini one.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
But supposedly stuff like 3d world, pikmin 3, tp/wwhhd, and then prime trilogy are being sat on. Now seems like a good time to have those when they have nothing else.
Yeah, _supposedly_ is the key word, though. We a) don't know those are sat on for sure (even though I believe Emily et al. that 3D World and Pikmin ports are ready to go).
But also b) we don't know Nintendo's current schedule. They're more than likely also looking ahead to at least March 2021 (maybe even further) and planning what to release when. We have no clue whether they'd want to fill up other gaps in the line-up we possibly don't know about yet. They certainly do know more than we do, so I trust them to release those ports when the time is right.

resetdave

Oct 28, 2017
I'm beginning to think that Zelda storyline might be an issue - imagine if the plot was that Gabon has unleashed something virus like around hyrule....

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Did you watch the direct? For pokemon, we didn't know the gmax moves or how the dojo works. That's new news. for AC, we didn't know how bunny day would work or that there would be an earth day event. That's new news.

Your 51 game classics statement is just lol, there are people very excited for that even if you aren't, just look at reddit.

And yes, if they did that with Animal crossing, it would be new news. Now you're getting it.
Well, in the most literal sense, yeah, everythign that was not shown, and is shown, is news. But when people talk about news, they dont mean single details of stuff that was widely known.

The functionality of the dojo was as they aluded to during the first release, and gmax moves... yeah, i doubt that anybody sees this as news. Here will just have to agree to have differend expectations what counts as news. I wana play games, not get a explanation of every inconsequential detail.

With 51 games: you can always find someone for everything. But with these people i gotha ask:
dont you have a smartphone? pc? these games at home in a box? If you dont play them already, why are you excited now?
Every of these can be found free on mobile and pc. Its just...for that i dont need a switch.But yeah, it is news, i just find it...really bad as part of the first party line up... when there is not much else.

But yeah, te technicality of "news" is on your side, even if colloquialy nobody thinks of it that way.
I think we will not come to agree, which is fine. I bear you no ill will, we just dissagree here.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
So, now that we know more about Q2, what are we all buying over the next few months?

I've got Wonderful 101 as a definite buy, Trials of Mana as a maybe-buy, and I'm waiting to pounce on that glorious collector's edition Xenoblade DE is getting over here in Europe. That vinyl!!! Also going to keep an eye out for reviews of Good Job, which looked pretty fun. As usual with Switch, I'm well-catered for.
Thanks for sharing what you knew, and sorry for the inevitable hysteria directed your way (no pun intended).

Out of curiosity, am I right in thinking that this Direct came together relatively recently? Do you know if that had anything to do with Nintendo (or other publishers) shifting some of their plans due to Covid-19? That's my theory, currently. I don't think Q2 was ever going to be a big one, but I think there only being one Nintendo-published title launching at retail in the next few months is suspicious - especially when that period looks like it'll be the worst stretch of the pandemic in Nintendo's major markets.

jimmer kripper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Yep, but it seems like at least for me that they have General Direct planned after AC, but obviously covid-19 striked hard on first party schedule so they just did Mini one.
yup that could've been it. Tough to say tho. It's definitely possible they had to push some first party stuff out of the direct because of covid.

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
I find it a bit weird that they'd tell use which series it's from but not who it is, so here's a prediction:

There's going to be a sequel, revealed in June, and the Smash character is going to be the main protagonist of the new game's Story Mode.
In the Direct is was mentioned it's from ARMS - first game if you will (if there is a sequel) and then they showed screen of all ARMS fighters so i can say that it's 100% character from first game.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Some of y'all really need to read Nate's tweets about why Nintendo's original plan was always to have a direct after giving AC the spotlight. Read all his replies here:

twitter.com

Direct-Feed Games on Twitter

“It's almost like Nintendo wanted Animal Crossing: New Horizon to have its own time to shine before getting too in-depth with their 2020 lineup. AC:NH is a major release and deserves the attention. https://t.co/Vay4Z9mSEN”
That was also over two weeks ago and seemingly when he thought there might have been a pre AC direcr and before things changed.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I find it a bit weird that they'd tell use which series it's from but not who it is (reveal trailer delay aside, they could have just not said anything and waited), so here's a prediction:

Nah I think the character is gonna be more or less all of the cast from the first one, (as alts) but they're having trouble figuring out who should be the "main" fighter should be.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
Did you watch the direct? For pokemon, we didn't know the gmax moves or how the dojo works. That's new news. for AC, we didn't know how bunny day would work or that there would be an earth day event. That's new news.

Your 51 game classics statement is just lol, there are people very excited for that even if you aren't, just look at reddit.

And yes, if they did that with Animal crossing, it would be new news. Now you're getting it.
Look, I'm somewhat in agreement with you that we did get some news, but come on man, you're really reaching here. Most of the 'news' we got for Pokemon was already known (the G-Max forms of the starters was datamined/leaked/whatever months ago) and it was a horrendous thing to do as a last "one more thing" in the Direct when everyone was expecting something new and big in that slot.

And things like Bunny Day announcements are not Direct-quality announcements. If we are now living in a world where every single Direct is going to have a "Oh, here's a look at the next {insert upcoming holiday here} update for Animal Crossing! Now you can get some new cosmetics and stuff!" then just... ugh, that's going to be a huge disappointment. Keep that kind of thing on Twitter where it belongs.

Basically as far as Directs go, any announcements or news updates that most hardcore 1st-party Nintendo fans would classify as a 3 out of 10 on the hype scale or less just plain don't count. Things like the 51-game thing and Good Job fall in that category. (Note: I'm not saying this is a GOOD mentality to have or anything, just that that's how a great many Nintendo fans think)

Apr 9, 2019

twitter.com

Direct-Feed Games on Twitter

“It's almost like Nintendo wanted Animal Crossing: New Horizon to have its own time to shine before getting too in-depth with their 2020 lineup. AC:NH is a major release and deserves the attention. https://t.co/Vay4Z9mSEN”
Yep, that makes a lot of sense and is what Nintendo has been doing ever since Switch launched. I have paid attention to games I normally wouldn't have because the spotlight is always on the game that's closest to release.

I have to say though, as someone who's not interested in Fire Emblem, Smash, Pokémon or Animal Crossing, the most recent Switch year I'd call a great one for me personally is still 2017 - BotW, MK8 and Doom 2016. Whew. I'm still playing all of those! Was hoping 2020 would it's successor - it's still a possibilty of course, but I'll only really know when New Year rolls around xD.

jimmer kripper

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Well, in the most literal sense, yeah, everythign that was not shown, and is shown, is news. But when people talk about news, they dont mean single details of stuff that was widely known.

The functionality of the dojo was as they aluded to during the first release, and gmax moves... yeah, i doubt that anybody sees this as news. Here will just have to agree to have differend expectations what counts as news. I wana play games, not get a explanation of every inconsequential detail.

With 51 games: you can always find someone for everything. But with these people i gotha ask:
dont you have a smartphone? pc? these games at home in a box? If you dont play them already, why are you excited now?
Every of these can be found free on mobile and pc. Its just...for that i dont need a switch.But yeah, it is news, i just find it...really bad as part of the first party line up... when there is not much else.

But yeah, te technicality of "news" is on your side, even if colloquialy nobody thinks of it that way.
I think we will not come to agree, which is fine. I bear you no ill will, we just dissagree here.
what you think of news doesn't change what is factually is rofl. It's just not the news you're looking for.

And for your tragic 51 games opinion, you should ask the people in here to get a good understanding

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
And things like Bunny Day announcements are not Direct-quality announcements. If we are now living in a world where every single Direct is going to have a "Oh, here's a look at the next {insert upcoming holiday here} update for Animal Crossing! Now you can get some new cosmetics and stuff!" then just... ugh, that's going to be a huge disappointment. Keep that kind of thing on Twitter where it belongs.

I'm afraid you haven't met the animal crossing fanbase... Leif was confirmed god damn it!!! ;)

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
i just scrolled through the last 20 pages and ugh i'm embarrassed. Nintendo owes you nothing! Let them care for their employees!

And now "this mini was a joke so lame, the apologists will say..." the apologists...? Y'all please, be better. The world is in turmoil. Video games are not immune to that. Just be better.

jimmer kripper

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Yeah mate, updates to the biggest launch game of all time in Japan def don't belong in a direct. Rofl

Oct 28, 2019
The tired metacommentary on entitlement and a holier-than-thou attitude whenever someone expresses a negative sentiment to the Direct is something else.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Animal Crossing came out less than a week ago. The next ones will be announce at E3. Does playstation of xbox have first party releases in 3 month intervals? No, so calm down. Also, there are already AAA 1st party games that are announced and haven't released yet so it's not like you can say "I have no idea what's in the works". And you got 2 huge second party titles shown.
Sony actually does in fact. They've had 3 first party releases this year with 4 more on the way and several console exclusives. It's surprising but that's even more than Nintendo for once.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Sony actually does in fact. They've had 3 first party releases this year with 4 more on the way and several console exclusives. It's surprising but that's even more than Nintendo for once.

Nintendo has had 4 first party releases so far, 5 if you count Brain Training in Europe. And then 2 more by the end of June that we currently know of.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I'm not really sure why people shouldn't be allowed to express their disappointment about this Direct. I absolutely loved the AC one but this one felt like probably the weakest direct I have ever seen.

Previous direct Mini had way more content and surprises. Sometimes a direct is great and sometimes disappointing. Things like that happen

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
i just scrolled through the last 20 pages and ugh i'm embarrassed. Nintendo owes you nothing! Let them care for their employees!

And now "this mini was a joke so lame, the apologists will say..." the apologists...? Y'all please, be better. The world is in turmoil. Video games are not immune to that. Just be better.
Do we need to have a million posts saying that the virus is going on? Pretty sure every single person is aware. That doesn't have to do with disappointment.

jimmer kripper

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
He was saying march 12th for awhile, or even march 6th, plus a lot changed in that week. Even at that point around that tweet he wasn't saying things would be delayed.
This week he said nothing had been delayed if the direct would come on thursday. By nothing I mean no direct

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
He was saying march 12th for awhile, or even march 6th, plus a lot changed in that week. Even at that point around that tweet he wasn't saying things would be delayed.

I don't think Nate ever said it would be March 12th, or even early March.

All he originally said was if it wasn't in March he'd be surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.