• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When is the next General Direct?

• This Week

Votes: 230 14.0%
  • Next Week

Votes: 557 34.0%
  • April

Votes: 192 11.7%
  • Never

Votes: 419 25.6%
  • OT8

Votes: 241 14.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Mini Directs are always shadowdropped.
Seems like a technicality to me. /shrug, a 30 minute direct isn't so mini.

It's not, at all. People have different tastes and you're not going to like every single announcement. But saying things like "are you fucking kidding me!?!" And "this was complete trash" is so hyperbolic and just showing how intolerant to other people's taste in games you are. They could've said, disappointing, I'm not into those games. But no, outrage and hyperbole are thing thing now.

it's posts like this that are ridiculous. "Giant piece of crap"? And the people that build up expectation based on their own speculation of upcoming games then shit on a company for not living up to them. They do it to themselves then come spitting negativity all ofver the boards. Why were all of these people expecting a big first party titles to be announced in a shadow dropped nintendo direct mini? Why is it so bad that it didn't happen. Nothing will change if you know about it now or don't know about it until E3 aside from your own self imposed expectations.

The wrost part is the same 3-4 franchises are mentioned. I do wonder if these people play another other games (?) I'm always happy to see PC>Switch conversions or a surprise port of a game we didn't expect.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
We got news on AC, pokemon, smash, xenoblade, ring fit, 51 classics, good job, and ultimate alliance. Plenty of first party news there
This does not sound like a good faith argument, but ok, lets engage in it:

pokemon: no news.
Smash: i would barely call that news, but okay...
AC: was that really knew? they said, seasonal events like easter will be distributed per update instead being in the base game. Now they showed: for easter the seasonal event will be distributed. not really news...
xenoblade: true,forgot. Release date , added content and special edition.Here we have news.
ringfit: update, not to substantial, but still, new mode, nice. news, even if not really big.
51 game classics: come on, nobody is waiting for stuff like this... technically news, but really small.
good job: yeah, new. but also, nothing big.
ultimate aliance: always forgett that they are publishing it. they showed dlc that they already anounced and sold. not really news.

I give you xenoblade, ringfit, the 2 games. the rest was not really news, just showing what they already anounced.
And even these were not some big anouncements.

What they do from now on: for the next animal crossing they should release every day a screenshot of a new in game item. Then well have every day nintendo news, forever!

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It's not, at all. People have different tastes and you're not going to like every single announcement. But saying things like "are you fucking kidding me!?!" And "this was complete trash" is so hyperbolic and just showing how intolerant to other people's taste in games you are. They could've said, disappointing, I'm not into those games. But no, outrage and hyperbole are thing thing now.

it's posts like this that are ridiculous. "Giant piece of crap"? And the people that build up expectation based on their own speculation of upcoming games then shit on a company for not living up to them. They do it to themselves then come spitting negativity all ofver the boards. Why were all of these people expecting a big first party titles to be announced in a shadow dropped nintendo direct mini? Why is it so bad that it didn't happen. Nothing will change if you know about it now or don't know about it until E3 aside from your own self imposed expectations.
If you find the posts so ridiclous, then just ignore them? I don't see the issue as long as people aren't personally attacking

Deleted member 19702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know what really sucks the most? They seem to be right about the bolded.

Going on communications blackout about everything but the current Big Game is probably helping those games shatter all sorts of records like BotW did, then Smash did, and now AC is doing.

Nah, I don't think so. The last thing AC, Smash and BOTW would need is communications blackout to sell, with or without they would sell tons. Especially in AC's case, they can't be serious if they believe Xenoblade, a new Smash characters and some old ports would make people forget it, lol.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Buuut, buuut ... ports aren't real games! They're just filler content that is undeserving of my time and money!! Only NEW games count, you hear me?? says run-of-the-mill Era user number 69.

Personally I think that those people aren't capable of putting these releases into perspective. I've never played any of those 2K games e.g., so they're practically new to me.
Yeah, it's like when there are Wii U ports that I've played--I'm not gonna be disappointed even though I've already played them, because it makes sense that a large portion of the Switch audience has not. I, myself, haven't played any of these 2K titles, so I'm quite excited to give 'em a go come May

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Hundreds of other games on the Switch. Or what exactly are you looking for?
I mean, if you're waiting for big third party announcements en masse or have very specific tastes (like I do as well, but I'm kinda lucky enough to be a RPG guy), then yeah, the platform probably doesn't entirely fit your needs/interests.
Waiting for new first party games.

jimmer kripper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
It's not that those ports are worth nothing. It's that it was all they showed. So for the people that have played them years ago, what else is there?
The new info they showed maybe that hasn't been released? New smash, pokemon, ultimate alliance, animal crossing and xenoblade content. New info for unreleased games such as Ninjala, bravely default 2, good job, kings bounty 2, etc.

Also I highly doubt anyone has played all of the ports that were shown.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo is on a strict radio silence strategy even before 2020. Covid-19 might have changed things, for sure, but they seem to believe when a big game is around the corner, everything else needs to be put aside. They did it with BOTW, Smash and now with AC. I mean, they really think not announcing the fully line-up will shift away attention from their biggest release of the year? If that's the case, I think Nintendo marketing division needs a shake up ASAP. Not complaining about Switch's line-up, which is really good, but how the marketing division is handling announcements have been pretty bad.
The only reason they went so big on Animal Crossing was the uncertainty of other high profile titles making it this year. They just didn't have anything else to show.

Ragaar31

Oct 25, 2017
They must still have a Direct on the way. We still only know about Xenoblade and Bravely this year. Maybe they'll just wait until June? But I dunno. I had hoped there would be something between then and now. Even if it was just some Wii U ports.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe, but I feel like it's a case of A being true and B being true, and A and B aren't really related.

I just find it so, so hard to believe that if Nintendo had this same exact Mini Direct two or three weeks ago that Animal Crossing's sales would have been affected in the slightest. I feel like these games were going to do huge numbers regardless of this marketing strategy, possibly even in spite of it. These are blockbuster games that have been delivering quality-wise in the way that blockbuster games should.

Nah, I don't think so. The last thing AC, Smash and BOTW would need is communications blackout to sell, with or without they would sell tons. Especially in AC's case, they can't be serious if they believe Xenoblade, a new Smash characters and some old ports would make people forget it, lol.

Yeah you might be right about that. The other side of the coin though is that AC and Smash would probably overshadow many of the announcements in these Directs if they happened before. So it's another reason they prefer to have them after.

... it was literally branded a Direct Mini, and those all in the past have been shadowdropped. They still haven't broken any of the "rules" when it comes to general Directs.

BestTestie

Banned
Jan 13, 2020
You know what really sucks the most? They seem to be right about the bolded.

Going on communications blackout about everything but the current Big Game is probably helping those games shatter all sorts of records like BotW did, then Smash did, and now AC is doing.
I don't think it's purposeful.
BOTW had the entirety of 2016's marketing because Nintendo's lineup was dead. They also revealed a shitload of games right before the March release date in the big reveal presentation.
Smash was their big Holiday game for 2018 in a weak year. And even then, Nintendo didn't really go on "radio silence" regarding other games in the leadup to release. The marketed Pokemon Let's Go heavily and revealed LM3 and AC:NH in the Fall Direct prior to release.
AC being the sole focus of 2020's marketing is the baffling decision.

Also Mario Odyssey has been breaking sales records similar to BOTW/Smash and it had a normal marketing cycle.

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
So their June game is Pokemon DLC? But i can't blame since covid-19 could really hurt their scheldule but c'mon Pikmin 3 port or 3D World are probably ready for months, and am not even talking about Prime Trilogy.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
If you find the posts so ridiclous, then just ignore them? I don't see the issue as long as people aren't personally attacking

I usually do but, It builds up though. I've noticed ever since people started being quarentined that more and more people on here becoming less capable of conversation and just want to argue and be negative. Negativity spreads rampantly, especially when everyone is confined like now. We got info we didn't have yesterday and didn't know we'd get today. No one should be upset about it. No games were changed in a negative way that were shown. So if you wanted something specific and didn't get it, it's no different than if there were no direct.

The only justified negativity should be about how 2k handled cartridges/downloads for their collections. Big oof there, but at least they're charging a reasonable price for these several game and dlc collections.

jimmer kripper

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
This does not sound like a good faith argument, but ok, lets engage in it:

pokemon: no news.
Smash: i would barely call that news, but okay...
AC: was that really knew? they said, seasonal events like easter will be distributed per update instead being in the base game. Now they showed: for easter the seasonal event will be distributed. not really news...
xenoblade: true,forgot. Release date , added content and special edition.Here we have news.
ringfit: update, not to substantial, but still, new mode, nice. news, even if not really big.
51 game classics: come on, nobody is waiting for stuff like this... technically news, but really small.
good job: yeah, new. but also, nothing big.
ultimate aliance: always forgett that they are publishing it. they showed dlc that they already anounced and sold. not really news.

I give you xenoblade, ringfit, the 2 games. the rest was not really news, just showing what they already anounced.
And even these were not some big anouncements.

What they do from now on: for the next animal crossing they should release every day a screenshot of a new in game item. Then well have every day nintendo news, forever!
Did you watch the direct? For pokemon, we didn't know the gmax moves or how the dojo works. That's new news. for AC, we didn't know how bunny day would work or that there would be an earth day event. That's new news.

Your 51 game classics statement is just lol, there are people very excited for that even if you aren't, just look at reddit.

And yes, if they did that with Animal crossing, it would be new news. Now you're getting it.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I usually do but, It builds up though. I've noticed ever since people started being quarentined that more and more people on here becoming less capable of conversation and just want to argue and be negative. Negativity spreads rampantly, especially when everyone is confined like now. We got info we didn't have yesterday and didn't know we'd get today. No one should be upset about it. No games were changed in a negative way that were shown. So if you wanted something specific and didn't get it, it's no different than if there were no direct.

The only justified negativity should be about how 2k handled cartridges/downloads for their collections. Big oof there, but at least they're charging a reasonable price for these several game and dlc collections.
Then I would leave the thread since it's only going to be more the more people are locked in and waiting for more game announcments.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I just want news on the Doom Eternal port. That doesn't have to wait until June, right?

Please?

If it is gigantic, how would announcing metroid or paper mario hurt its sales?

Announcing Metroid or Paper Mario right before it launches might hurt Metroid or Paper Mario's sales. Or at least take away from the impact of the announcement.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Then I would leave the thread since it's only going to be more the more people are locked in and waiting for more game announcments.
No way, I like Nintendo too much to bail and sometimes the speculation is truly amusing. I guess I just need to build my tolerance of their bs a little more. I do appreciate you having this reasonable exchange about this though. It's refreshing after so many shouting matches 🤣😂

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I just want news on the Doom Eternal port. That doesn't have to wait until June, right?

Please?

Announcing Metroid or Paper Mario right before it launches might hurt Metroid or Paper Mario's sales. Or at least take away from the impact of the announcement.
I don't get the logic of that either. How would saying "metroid 5, coming september or October" or whatever hurt it?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I wasn't disappointed by this Direct or anything because these are uncertain times, although I wish we got confirmation about the 3D World port.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Waiting for new first party games.
I mean, yeah, I kinda do as well, but no first party platform holder can fill out every month of every year of their platform (even if it's only one) in today's technical context without relying on ports or having a few months of either smaller releases (like Nintendo does) or no releases at all. That's just not viable.
And when you have situations like Metroid Prime 4 being rebooted or partners for exclusives potentially having issues with their game's timing (Bayo 3? SMT V!), you're simply out of luck or have to make the best out of the situation.
It's obviously still fine to be disappointed then, but folks really should put things into perspective sometimes, hard as that may be after this Direct mini.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the logic of that either. How would saying "metroid 5, coming september or October" or whatever hurt it?

Because people who are maybe mildly interested in the series would see the announcement, say, "oh okay, neat" then go right back to anticipating the upcoming release and forget about the announcement for the time being.

Whereas if the announcement is after AC, you get those same people curious about what else might be coming later. So they'll maybe see the announcement of Metroid 5, then do a bit of research on it, and say "oh damn maybe I'll like this game". They wouldn't do that before AC launches because they're really excited for AC and would rather spend their time anticipating that.

The victor appears.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
Mini Directs are always shadowdropped.
Yeah, it's funny, this being called a Mini (and possibly being reconfigured to be such last minute) actually means that the Patterns are all still intact!

Actually, wait... that must be it! There was going to be a full-on packed General Direct, but the Pattern Police TM got wind of it being in the second half of the month, said "Not on my watch!" and forced Nintendo to re-cut it into a Mini and shadowdrop it instead.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, yeah, I kinda do as well, but no first party platform holder can fill out every month of every year of their platform (even if it's only one) in today's technical context without relying on ports or having a few months of either smaller releases (like Nintendo does) or no releases at all. That's just not viable.
And when you have situations like Metroid Prime 4 being rebooted or partners for exclusives potentially having issues with their game's timing (Bayo 3? SMT V!), you're simply out of luck or have to make the best out of the situation.
It's obviously still fine to be disappointed then, but folks really should put things into perspective sometimes, hard as that may be after this Direct mini.
But supposedly stuff like 3d world, pikmin 3, tp/wwhhd, and then prime trilogy are being sat on. Now seems like a good time to have those when they have nothing else.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

The wrost part is the same 3-4 franchises are mentioned. I do wonder if these people play another other games (?) I'm always happy to see PC>Switch conversions or a surprise port of a game we didn't expect.
Mini is not about the lenght, is about the content.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's funny, this being called a Mini (and possibly being reconfigured to be such last minute) actually means that the Patterns are all still intact!

Actually, wait... that must be it! There was going to be a full-on packed General Direct, but the Pattern Police TM got wind of it being in the second half of the month, said "Not on my watch!" and forced Nintendo to re-cut it into a Mini and shadowdrop it instead.

The Pattern Police are a force to be reckoned with.

jimmer kripper

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Some of y'all really need to read Nate's tweets about why Nintendo's original plan was always to have a direct after giving AC the spotlight. Read all his replies here:

twitter.com

Direct-Feed Games on Twitter

“It's almost like Nintendo wanted Animal Crossing: New Horizon to have its own time to shine before getting too in-depth with their 2020 lineup. AC:NH is a major release and deserves the attention. https://t.co/Vay4Z9mSEN”

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Starting to think Western 3rd Parties have been right about Nintendo's demographics primarily being interested in Ninty games, and those games taking shine away from their releases at times. It's obviously the case with hardcore Nintendo fans at the very least.
The majority of this thread probably has a ps4 or pc. These arent new releases or ports witin 1 year.
You notice People express more excitement for mortal kombat, doom, outer worlds

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I just wanted to stress that I really like and appreciate your levelheaded and thoughtful posts. Thank you for you consistently great input between all of us going completely insane sometimes.
This is a good post, thank you.
This makes complete sense.
Thanks all! I try and keep level-headed. I understand why people get frustrated or emotional, though - especially lately.
I really do think those are being saved for when they're needed to plug a spot in the release lineup. They didn't get announced today because - while they could release today or April or May or whatever - they might be needed in the Summer/Fall because of coronavirus-related delays to other first-party games.

I think today was essentially the Q2 Direct, and anything beyond that will come out of their E3-adjacent Direct (which I suspect will be the next General Direct).
I think you're exactly right. 95% of stuff shown today is coming by the end of June. Also makes sense to me that most of Nintendo's content in the next few months is being delivered digitally in the form of eShop stuff, expansions and updates. Disruption to retail, manufacturing and shipping is very real and while Nintendo's digital business is growing, they're still big on physical sales.
I have seen few people online speculating that ARMS sequel is coming since they are heavily promoting first game (online tournamnt, game trial, arms fighter in smash). Do you guys think ARMS sequel is likely? I don't and if, it's on another Nintendo machine.
I think an Arms sequel is likelier, given today's announcements. I think we'll know at E3.
So their June game is Pokemon DLC? But i can't blame since covid-19 could really hurt their scheldule but c'mon Pikmin 3 port or 3D World are probably ready for months, and am not even talking about Prime Trilogy.
Pokemon DLC and the eShop launch of Club House games. Like I've said above, Nintendo's Q2 is light on retail, heavy on digital stuff. Makes sense in the current environment and makes sense anyway, given Q2 would be a quiet quarter even if they'd got something like Pikmin 3 in that time. Based on Emily having implied Pikmin 3 was first half 2020, my assumption is that was pushed into the second half as insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.