• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When is the next General Direct?

• This Week

Votes: 230 14.0%
  • Next Week

Votes: 557 34.0%
  • April

Votes: 192 11.7%
  • Never

Votes: 419 25.6%
  • OT8

Votes: 241 14.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Why is this always the case? Those games have never come out on a Nintendo system before so I consider this great news, but instead it's "worse" for those who own other platforms?
A few yrs ago, people would have begged Bioshock and Borderlands to get a port to Wii U. Now they come to Switch and it is brushed aside.

It astounds me when prestigious franchises come to Switch and are treated like trash. Bioshock, XCOM and Borderlands are big gets. Yes, they are ports, but still solid releases. If anyone is buying Nintendo, MS, Sony hardware just for exclusives, then you should know by now there will be gaps - especially if your interests are limited.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Good direct for me since I love RPGs but no huge new game or even Wiiu port being shown is a bummer.

Most of all I was looking forward to another look at Zelda. I am getting the feeling it may not be a 2020 release and possibly spring next year.

Also, this must be the most "available now!" Games ever for 1 direct!

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
We don't, but that's not necessarily the point, is it? All I'm trying to say is we've known for a while that those who don't like RPGs aren't going to have the greatest year. And yeah, the direct just kind of reaffirmed what we already knew in that sense.
It kinda is. You mentioned it being a good year for RPGs. Decent for sure, but only 3 stand out titles leaves some to be desired imo. Especially when if there's even 1 of the 3 you don't like then there's a mere 2 games to be excited for.

When do people think the next 1st party (notable for lack of a better word, or retail) game will release after xenoblade

July
August
September?

I'll say August cause it'll need lead in time after e3. That'll be some gap from May...
Probably me being overly hopeful, but I could see late July being the port month.

Something like
July: Pikmin 3 Port
August: Mario Spin off (probably Party 2)
September: Paper Mario
October: Zelda HD Remaster
November: Holiday Title
December: First Party title (some kind of Metroid game)

Or bump everything down a month and remove the December title.

BestTestie

Banned
Jan 13, 2020
Do you know why they did that in the 2012 days?

Because none of their shit was selling so they were in full-on panic mode, trying as hard as possible to entice people to buy their consoles. This means doing obnoxiously long developer segments and videos of games we'd already seen like a half a dozen times, or otherwise games that are like 4+ years out.

I vastly, vastly prefer the Directs we get now.

Clubhouse Games makes two actually.
The 3DS was turning itself around in 2012 after a disastrous 2011. And the Wii U wasn't out until the end of the year, and didn't start selling poorly until 2013. They were not in panic mode during 2012, yet they found ways to fill-up Directs nearly every other month.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
ARMS character and RFA update made this one great for me.

Clubhouse games looked cool until I remembered the one on ds was underwhelming.

Ninjala looks a lot better outside of their slow attack animations. I don't like f2p games but the playerbase might not be there otherwise. It looked smooth so I guess I'll try it.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
A few yrs ago, people would have begged Bioshock and Borderlands to get a port to Wii U. Now they come to Switch and it is brushed aside.

It astounds me when prestigious franchises come to Switch and are treated like trash. Bioshock, XCOM and Borderlands are big gets. Yes, they are ports, but still solid releases. If anyone is buying Nintendo, MS, Sony hardware just for exclusives, then you should know by now there will be gaps - especially if your interests are limited.
I mean come on now, a few years makes a big difference. Bioshock itself is 13 years old and the collection is 4 years old, and been on sale for different things tons of times. It's easy to see why it's a different reception now.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

The main issue I had with those games is that they were leaked beforehand (well, not Borderlands) so it wasn't all that mindblowing to see in the Direct.

Obviously can't blame Nintendo for that.

Deleted member 53506

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 12, 2019
Glad I'll be busy in the forseeable future with Nioh 2 on my PS4, and then XenoblaDE from late May onward. Should I be done with Nioh 2 sooner than I expect, I'll probably dive back into Jedi Academy purely for nostalgia and because it's a damn fine Star Wars game.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I just realized

We're finally done asking about retro. We made it. Not a one has.

If you count Wii U ports? August. If you don't count Wii U ports? September.
Yeah when I said august I had pikmin or 3dw in mind.

New non port would have to be a paper Mario, Zelda, kart, Odyssey, and whatever other studios are currently free. So that'd be september or October.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Old games. If the new recent Borderlands would release on Switch that would be an entirely different story.

nikatapi

Jan 11, 2018
Super excited about Bioshock, Borderlands and Burnout. Hopefully they sell well enough so more ports will come.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Hey what about Retro's game?

:)

The 3DS was turning itself around in 2012 after a disastrous 2011. And the Wii U wasn't out until the end of the year, and didn't start selling poorly until 2013. They were not in panic mode during 2012, yet they found ways to fill-up Directs nearly every other month.

The 3DS was still a money sink at that point, and the writing was on the wall for the Wii U.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
1) bravely default ii was already announced
2) the original bravely default isnt exactly great so i cant say im personally too hyped for it
I'm still getting that Burnout Paradise Remastered. Also despite having Borderlands Remastered on Steam, an actual portable Borderlands would be great.

We just need to know who ported the latter and how well a job they did so.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
The closer was baffling.

I'm excited for the Pokémon DLC, but they revealed NOTHING new.

Seriously. The Gigantamax forms for the starters and the quest with Kubfu we already knew about. They didn't discuss anything else about the area. What else is there to do after completing the presumably 2-3 hour story? They showed off the map of the area and it looks much smaller than I had hoped -

oufpD0s.png

BestTestie

Banned
Jan 13, 2020
So you expect everyone to just get every game ever?
No, but considering the wide accessibility of emulation and cheap collections/remasters there's a good chance you have access to a huge amount of new games. Hell, if you're subscribed to NSO you have access to 60+ NES and SNES Classics. That's a start.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Feels like they Ended on Pokémon Becuase it's the biggest thing they have coming in June.

and it's a digital expansion without a big physical retail presence. Last mini had Dark Souls and it was suppose to launch before E3. Probably didn't have anything else major releasing so soon or they don't know when it can release cause they want those games to have a huge retail presence.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
It kinda is. You mentioned it being a good year for RPGs. Decent for sure, but only 3 stand out titles leaves some to be desired imo. Especially when if there's even 1 of the 3 you don't like then there's a mere 2 games to be excited for.

Probably me being overly hopeful, but I could see late July being the port month.

Something like
July: Pikmin 3 Port
August: Mario Spin off (probably Party 2)
September: Paper Mario
October: Zelda HD Remaster
November: Holiday Title
December: First Party title (some kind of Metroid game)

Or bump everything down a month and remove the December title.
They're not limited to a title per month.

They showed that last year.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago

This, this, this. Personal disappointment with the content of a direct is one thing, but these are far from Nintendo's darkest times and announcements like these are exciting. They speak volumes about how far they've come. Sure they might be old ports at this point, but both of these series have never been on a Nintendo platform. These could just be the start of relationships with publishers with big implications for the future, ala how we saw Bethesda start with Skyrim and lead to day and date releases (save for Doom hitting development struggles).

BestTestie

Banned
Jan 13, 2020
Hey what about Retro's game?

:)

The 3DS was still a money sink at that point, and the writing was on the wall for the Wii U.
The writing wasn't "on the wall" for the Wii U at all during 2020. That's absolute fucking hindsight.

The 3DS not bring profitable during 2012 because of the price cuts (and I don't even know if that's true, do you have a source on that?) doesn't change the fact they weren't in panic mode. Slashing the price from $250 to $160 in 2011 was panic mode. They didn't take nearly any drastic measures like that with the 3DS in 2012; they simply had a slate of games and revealed them at regular intervals.

Kane

Oct 28, 2017
I am more upset with Nintendo now then I was before the direct.
A Wii U port like Pikmin 3 or SMW were in my lowest expectations and they couldn't even exceed that...

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
The thought has crossed my mind but I do not think so at the moment

Agreed, I feel like they'd hold off on that until Smash DLC has run its course (if ever? lmao). Perhaps another game in that universe though.

ARMS is handled by the mario kart team, right? Part of me hopes they do something with that series first, even if it's the long anticipated 8 DLC.

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
sure, we all here looking for a distraction. that doesnt preclude the notion of leaving all rational thought out. you cant expect massive games announcements for this year, not now. The ones who are going to release were pretty much finished or close to it late last year.

You'd do better to write out this year until further notice, thats how dire things are. Also, maybe work on that backlog? maybe
It's always been a loud minority of people here who have no rational thought. The majority of us weren't expecting BOTW2 to show up, but expecting a Wii U port is not unreasonable.

I finished off my backlog at the start of February, then I finished the games I bought because I no longer had a backlog.
Also, maybe drop the whole backlog thing? Maybe

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

Exactly. People need to understand that A) third parties are cautious and B) they've been burned by Nintendo before. Three big 2K franchises hitting on the same day is a huge vote of confidence. It's also a boon for Switch players.

Lintendo

Sep 11, 2018
God damit... The Direct actually happend.. so that means I have to buy Animal Crossing: New Horizons ? :P

jimmer kripper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018

yup, there are a shocking amount of people who only play a select couple first party titles and whine when those aren't announced

BestTestie

Banned
Jan 13, 2020

Starting to think Western 3rd Parties have been right about Nintendo's demographics primarily being interested in Ninty games, and those games taking shine away from their releases at times. It's obviously the case with hardcore Nintendo fans at the very least.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It's always been a loud minority of people here who have no rational thought. The majority of us weren't expecting BOTW2 to show up, but expecting a Wii U port is not unreasonable.

I finished off my backlog at the start of February, then I finished the games I bought because I no longer had a backlog.
Also, maybe drop the whole backlog thing? Maybe
You need to play every nes, snes, n64, gamecube, wii, wii u, gb, gbc, gba, ds, 3ds and switch game ever. That's just for nintendo.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The bigger the install base, the more people already palyed those games, the more people are left disappointed. Simple math.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Starting to think Western 3rd Parties have been right about Nintendo's demographics primarily being interested in Ninty games, and those games taking shine away from their releases at times. It's obviously the case with hardcore Nintendo fans at the very least.

Users on ERA aren't representative of the market, especially the Nintendo market.

Status
Not open for further replies.