• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When is the next General Direct?

• This Week

Votes: 230 14.0%
  • Next Week

Votes: 557 34.0%
  • April

Votes: 192 11.7%
  • Never

Votes: 419 25.6%
  • OT8

Votes: 241 14.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
You can't compare the Wii U timeline because there wasn't a pandemic happening though. There is a variable in place that brings a significant amount of uncertainty into the equation, that's all I'm saying. They may not want to say, "hey these are coming in May", then have to make another video 2 weeks later saying, sorry these are delayed because covid19. Then again, they may release a video today. Who knows? There are too many uncertainties/unknown variables right now and that is my point.
I never talked about this month specifically when i said "they dont comunicate when they dont have good stuff to show, except when they are forced to (MP4).
So: WII U counts, as does the beginning of the year. (they did not say "no direct, no games for the next months except AC, they just showed the dlc they had, and keppt theyr hand to them).
Its not even just nintendo, its the only reasonable way to handle that as a company. Why shine a spotlight on no/bad news, when most customers wont be that dedicated to realize it till its already solved?

HumanCentiPad

Mar 17, 2020
Jeff doubled down on a Direct happening today and since it was not announced yesterday that means it will be shadowdropped. And people think it's a Mini because someone in this thread stopped by and said it will be a Mini Direct and others come to the Mini conclusion because they haven't shadowdropped a regular Direct in the past. But who knows really.
Minis haven't happened for over 2 years and Jeff himself said it's not a Mini. I really don't get why people are so invested in this idea.

Jet Jaguar

Dec 3, 2017
User banned (one day): off-topic derail
My girlfriend said if there's a shadow drop (mini) direct today, then she'll take a bath and I have to give her a rim job. I'm not down to take that bet so I'm hoping there's no direct today (tomorrow instead please).

Aug 27, 2019
Jeff doubled down on a Direct happening today and since it was not announced yesterday that means it will be shadowdropped. And people think it's a Mini because someone in this thread stopped by and said it will be a Mini Direct and others come to the Mini conclusion because they haven't shadowdropped a regular Direct in the past. But who knows really.
Didn't Grubby also insist that it's not a mini?

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
I see you are at the anger stage of grief...😂
With all honesty, I'm a huge Nintendo fanboy since forever, but I'm really not angry.
Maybe disappointed because I really want Nintendo to do great things and they keep screwing things up (in this regard).

As I said before in this thread, since GCN days I learned to not rely on Nintendo to feed all my gaming needs in a generation.
Today I have the possibility of playing on PS4 and on PC via Steam, Gamepass and EGS, so I have more than enough

Nintendo is great for what they are and that's it.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Amusing, im still seeing the unedited post, but quoting put the edited post in here. =D
Did not argue "don't care", but less than new games.

Maybe im wrong with that, nintendo did not show any numbers how good the dlc is selling.Usually there are 3 camps of people that react: smash fans (bought dlc), nintendo fans (not all bouzght, some just want to talk nintendo stuff), fans of the character (partially bought, if they didnot have smash till then, the chance that they will buy for just the character is not that great (there are some, shure).
But using social media response and munbers sold... look at games like Shenmue and Metroid.
Huge fanbases, reactions, etc. But no numbers to back it up, some fanbases just are louder than others, and the smash fanbase is definetly part of them which does not mean that smash sold as bad as those, on the contrary, smash sold huuuuuuuge, but i would really be shocked if more then 50% bought the fighter pass. just look at DLC selling trends, most people get there fill with the base game.

Another question: if smash dlc is selling like hot cakes and people want more, why arent there more people working on it? for new modes, new stages? Sakurai said, the team is really small.

Shurt: shure, it sells, gets great reactions, but for a diverse userbase games are more interesting than DLC, even if its smash.

(And like i said, fan, will buy fighter pass 2, would buy substantial dlc (Stages, game modes)).
We know the DLC sold great enough that Nintendo were willing to greenlight more characters than was even in the first pass, and that the pass in general was a massive boost to their quarterlies/fiscal year performance. That's what matters.

DLC this out late rarely ever has a team as large as the main game, thats common economical sense. DLC will never have the same attach rate of sales as the base game so the team has to downsize to see profit.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My girlfriend said if there's a shadow drop (mini) direct today, then she'll take a bath and I have to give her a rim job. I'm not down to take that bet so I'm hoping there's no direct today (tomorrow instead please).

tenor.gif

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Man, i know why i said 15 years ago, no more animal crossing games.
lately (1-2 years) im not much on the side of Jim, but his video on animal crossing describes it right for me.

It feels like jung food. 90% just grinding. I feel dirty for playing it. one of the most charming and cute games... but the GAME part just feels... dirty...kinda... no skill, no thinking, no decisions...just time to progress by catching stuff. Sweet (cute) and with much calories (time), but not much nutritional value.

But soooooo cute. Hach.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It feels quite a lot past the middle to me. Metroid and BOTW2 may be coming, but I've got a feeling they'll be cross generational. I'm honestly not as happy with their output as I was during the Wii U days... I've got animal crossing to play now, but I feel for any Nintendo fans that aren't partial to it. At least back in the Wii U days they kept the 3DS filling in the gaps.
It'd be crazy to just abandon the Swicth at this point after it was so successful. Its life cycle should be closer to Nintendo's portables than their consoles.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
We know the DLC sold great enough that Nintendo were willing to greenlight more characters than was even in the first pass, and that the pass in general was a massive boost to their quarterlies/fiscal year performance. That's what matters.

DLC this out late rarely ever has a team as large as the main game, thats common economical sense. DLC will never have the same attach rate of sales as the base game so the team has to downsize to see profit.
Shure, i don't doubt that it sold good, i would just really be interested to see if it is sellign so much more than DLC generally does.

And yeah, not as big as the base game...not always. GaaS has ofthen huge teams, and with the dlc, patches and spirits they kinda positioned it in that area. But even with that, i get the feeling that the team is really small, and there could be more.

In other words: i would like them to make more (none fighter) dlc and talk less extensively about it =D

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Man, i know why i said 15 years ago, no more animal crossing games.
lately (1-2 years) im not much on the side of Jim, but his video on animal crossing describes it right for me.

It feels like jung food. 90% just grinding. I feel dirty for playing it. one of the most charming and cute games... but the GAME part just feels... dirty...kinda... no skill, no thinking, no decisions...just time to progress by catching stuff. Sweet (cute) and with much calories (time), but not much nutritional value.

But soooooo cute. Hach.
wrong thread, think you meant this to go in the review thread?

jdh96

One Winged Slayer
Jan 25, 2020
The internet would literally explode on itself if Nintendo just flat out shadow drops a General Direct today.

Status
Not open for further replies.