• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When is the next General Direct?

• This Week

Votes: 230 14.0%
  • Next Week

Votes: 557 34.0%
  • April

Votes: 192 11.7%
  • Never

Votes: 419 25.6%
  • OT8

Votes: 241 14.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ozeiyo

Feb 12, 2020
L.A Noire's port was great though and actually used features of the Switch that most games coming out now don't, like the IR Sensor to reload, the gyroscope to inspect objects and the touchscreen in handheld mode to pinch-zoom to direct the camera, flick through the notebook and do other stuff while inspecting a dead body. What are you talking about?

I haven't played it on switch, but from what i've been reading, the port often runs the same or worse than in PS3 and is somewhat of a mixed bag. Apologies for writing without previous knowledge.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it doesn't mean that on it's own but in the context of him never tweeting that about the gap between the other characters, even with the gap between Joker and Hero. I think it's fair to say it will be longer than average.
I think he's just saying that in the context of Fighters Pass 2 going on sale before we even know the first character. Joker was revealed very close to Fighter Pass 1 going on sale, while FP2 has been on sale for two months without a new character.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Why are people so hyped about one additional Smash character?
If you like and play Smash a lot you get it. If not then you don't. It's simple.
Well, I don't understand why people are hyped about XenoblaDE either. I guess hype is just personal.

But I'll try to explain: most people have most wanted fighters who, implausible as they may be, have now become possibilities due to the surprises in Fighters Pass 1 that no one saw coming or were too good to be true. Plus, the movesets and additional content were also very very fulfilling in general (even Byleth). So everybody is hopeful/hyped with the possibility that their MWs will get in and get that kind of treatment. Personally I would freak out if Phoenix Wright or Gordon Freeman joined the roster for example.
i'm a smash fan. My switch sais 210 h, every spirit (ok, tze last 2 events i missed), with all im classic over 1M.Fighter Pass 1. Will buy fighter pass 2.

But 1 character is not a new game. The modes, the core gameplay, mechanics, all stays the same.
Only point: not good enough for competetive, and not that interested in becoming "great in a video game".
I love me some smash anouncements, but the time they take in directs (and the amount of directs we get for them) is just not proportional to the content the fighters are. most DLC fighters got shown more than whole games. And that is where im really not interested in Smash anouncements in directs, it just feels like padding at the moment with cool trivia and discussing EVERY MOVE...

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
Nintendo is the worst company when it comes to communicating with its consumers. People that invest in their products are just kept blind in the middle of the generation.

What a mess of a company.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
3dda316d11c9b770266a422d7b2330ae9af1401e_hq.gif

Plural

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
My the way: i want to be pack 2 the end of sakurai. They should use it to let new team members under him create the characters. I know, a team is developing them, but the initial creation is usually sakurai area.
I want him to let that do others. People that in the long run take over.
And then, start developing new game ideas. I really would like him to release really small games for a year (2-6 months of development) for 5-10$, to refreshen his view on games, and then create a interesting new ip. Maybe a serious one? hes always pumping smash full with this world ending stuff (FD/Battlefield look like old ruins, Killing all of, fihgt of literal light an dark manifested as Lovecraftian beings)

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
2 months is about average between smash reveals. I doubt he'd say it's going to be a while if it was just the normal amount of time.
I'm thinking something similar to the gap between Joker and Hero
He might have meant awhile though in context to there being a FP2, some thought they'd reveal a character before that went on sale.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Nintendo is the worst company when it comes to communicating with its consumers. People that invest in their products are just kept blind in the middle of the generation.

I disagree, their Direct strategy works really really well.

They have messed up this time, as I said before if they decide to scrap the March Direct (which is understandable as the COVID pandemic is something really serious), the decision to wait until AC was released is so bad that they deserve all the criticism they recieve. Maybe they really have nothing for this year and this is why they decided to wait until almost April to announce the games, who knows, either way it was a stupid decision.

But they do the communication well most of the times, I wouldn't say they are any worse than the other companies on this regard.

HumanCentiPad

Mar 17, 2020
i'm a smash fan. My switch sais 210 h, every spirit (ok, tze last 2 events i missed), with all im classic over 1M.Fighter Pass 1. Will buy fighter pass 2.

But 1 character is not a new game. The modes, the core gameplay, mechanics, all stays the same.
Only point: not good enough for competetive, and not that interested in becoming "great in a video game".
I love me some smash anouncements, but the time they take in directs (and the amount of directs we get for them) is just not proportional to the content the fighters are. most DLC fighters got shown more than whole games. And that is where im really not interested in Smash anouncements in directs, it just feels like padding at the moment with cool trivia and discussing EVERY MOVE...
Whoa whoa, the fact that they spend 20 minutes discussing the characters in Smash specific Directs does not take away any time from full game directs! The reveal trailers would as they normally air during general Directs, but it's just a couple of minutes, and they are some of the most fun part of the hype.

I would also say that the Sakurai Direct format was pretty weird when they first did it last year, but they've grown on me quite a lot.the

banter

Jan 12, 2018

This is such a hyperbolic comment. The company that literally started the standard of communicating directly to it's fanbase through online videos that both xbox and playstation have adopted is the WORST?!? at communicating with their fans? After Playstation still hasn't shown PS5? Completely silent on their new cutting edge console except for a GDC talk they made public since GDC was cancelled? They only tell you things when they have something to tell. They even came and told us about Metroid Prime 4 having to restart development because of issues. They didn't have to, but yeah, the worst because they haven't made a "general" version (but have had many other versions) of their direct videos in a while. ok...

I get the frustration with rumors popping up and being wrong but calm this kind of stuff down.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain

Seriously. This.
They manage to keep their customers in a perpetual state of bafflement, uncertainty and dread about the soundness of spending money in their consoles. It's not normal that I have no idea about what the fuck they are going to release for my Switch this year, or what the fuck third parties are going to release.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Whoa whoa, the fact that they spend 20 minutes discussing the characters in Smash specific Directs does not take away any time from full game directs! The reveal trailers would as they normally air during general Directs, but it's just a couple of minutes, and they are some of the most fun part of the hype.

I would also say that the Sakurai Direct format was pretty weird when they first did it last year, but they've grown on me quite a lot.the
Well, even the normal character trailers are as long as trailers for full games. i dont say it replaces other content.
But what it is used for: overshadowing when they dont have substantial stuff to show. Either do a trailer, or do a Sakurai Direct, but booth is just pading, especially when they reshow the trailer in the sakurai direct.

It sounds more angry than i am. But my point is: even for some smash fans they are pushing it a bit,especially the last one was... not good. (bayleth).And no, the sakurai directs are not just 20 minutes ;)

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty good! Woke up early, did some studying, and then made breakfast: a bowl of yogurt with blueberries, a sliced strawberry, and half a sliced banana. Then went on to studying, mixed with some Switch 2 spec talk in the other threads dedicated to it. Got quite a bit of stuff done, now about to have lunch. Doing great so far today!

Or was that not what you were asking?

That is a perfectly valid answer and sounds like a lovely morning.

No he just wants Excite Truck

How would YOU know if he was teasing or not?

:p

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017

Atlus exists bro

and I love Atlus but yeah they are kings of weird communication./..we had MULTIPLE live streams of an Old Lady with no news my guy

Maverick14

Banned
Feb 16, 2019
Seriously. This.
They manage to keep their customers in a perpetual state of bafflement, uncertainty and dread about the soundness of spending money in their consoles. It's not normal that I have no idea about what the fuck they are going to release for my Switch this year, or what the fuck third parties are going to release.
Is a global pandemic normal? Anyway...let all the anger out dude....it will all be forgotten once the comms actually happens...whenever the heck that is....

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

This is weird logic. The Smash segments in normal Directs have only been about 5-7 minutes, they show a trailer then talk quickly some new updates. Character presentations are their own thing exclusively focused on Smash and they normally warrant that info because they come with stages, a whole lot of cool references that show how much work they put into making sure they're well represented, lots of music, and in some cases very unique movesets. That's way more content than most fighting game DLC gets.

Moreover this thinking that Smash "takes" time from other announcements needs to die. They don't tailor after a specific length.

Ravager777

Jan 1, 2018
I hope we get a shadow drop of the general direct today. It would put an end to all speculation of dates of future Directs based on previous patterns.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that PokeKalos said, when I specifically asked about it in the thread, it's 16:00 CET. It's true that he may be confusing CET (Central Europe Time) with CEST (Central Europe Summer Time), but 16:00 CET should be the absolute time limit we can expect things to happen.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Well, even the normal character trailers are as long as trailers for full games. i dont say it replaces other content.
But what it is used for: overshadowing when they dont have substantial stuff to show. Either do a trailer, or do a Sakurai Direct, but booth is just pading, especially when they reshow the trailer in the sakurai direct.

It sounds more angry than i am. But my point is: even for some smash fans they are pushing it a bit,especially the last one was... not good. (bayleth).And no, the sakurai directs are not just 20 minutes ;)
Byleth wasn't shown outside of his specific stream, not sure how that one is "especially" pushing it.

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
This is such a hyperbolic comment. The company that literally started the standard of communicating directly to it's fanbase through online videos that both xbox and playstation have adopted is the WORST?!? at communicating with their fans? After Playstation still hasn't shown PS5? Completely silent on their new cutting edge console except for a GDC talk they made public since GDC was cancelled? They only tell you things when they have something to tell. They even came and told us about Metroid Prime 4 having to restart development because of issues. They didn't have to, but yeah, the worst because they haven't made a "general" version (but have had many other versions) of their direct videos in a while. ok...

I get the frustration with rumors popping up and being wrong but calm this kind of stuff down.
☝️

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
I see you are at the anger stage of grief...😂
Youre sooooo in a bubble... Sony? microsoft? Apple? every ISP? Telecomunication companys? Streaming services?
I mean, nintendo is special, since its a company in the entertainment industrie, and there engagement with the fans is one of the cheapest ways to generate exitement and do advertisement, and they could be a tad bit better than now, but come on.
They essentially just stopp comunication when they dont have a lot of great news. Like every freaking company.

V0ltg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that PokeKalos said, when I specifically asked about it in the thread, it's 16:00 CET. It's true that he may be confusing CET (Central Europe Time) with CEST (Central Europe Summer Time), but 16:00 CET should be the absolute time limit we can expect things to happen.
And why should we believe what they say? Not trying to be mean, but I never heard of them before.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
I hope we get a shadow drop of the general direct today. It would put an end to all speculation of dates of future Directs based on previous patterns.

Was thinking about that this morning.

If a Direct would shadow drop, which i really REALLY don't believe it will, then all those patterns are broken and that would actually be a good thing lol

Status
Not open for further replies.