• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When is the next General Direct?

• This Week

Votes: 230 14.0%
  • Next Week

Votes: 557 34.0%
  • April

Votes: 192 11.7%
  • Never

Votes: 419 25.6%
  • OT8

Votes: 241 14.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
My only hope is that if it's shadowdropped, every major announcement doesn't get its own Resetera thread for at least a few hours after release.

#teamnospoilers

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
When has a main, 30 minute+ direct been shadowdropped?

Not sure about the length (also not sure why it matters) but they shadowdropped a MK8 Direct in 2014.

Most people don't care, they just watch when one is announced they don't wonder when the next one is coming like we all do.

No, most people either watch it later after the full video is uploaded or just watch the individual trailers.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jeff is way too confident and talked about how Nintendo would be screwing other devs over if they postpone. Shadow drop or same day announcement and video shown seem plausible

Morfeo

Oct 25, 2017
Tomorrow's direct
M4HxfEh.gif

One of the best gifs of all time!

Estizzle

Jan 14, 2019
If the Direct actually ends up happening tomorrow, fantastic! If not, at least we'll get one eventually. Though, if it does happen, I hope I wake up in time to not see the news plastered everywhere. Would rather see it in the Direct!

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
Not sure about the length (also not sure why it matters) but they shadowdropped a MK8 Direct in 2014.

No, most people either watch it later after the full video is uploaded or just watch the individual trailers.

Shadowdropping is just going to mean less people watch it, everything will be spoiled by the people who did.
I don't see how doing that is gonna make more people watch it

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So that's one game. Have they ever done a direct for multiple titles?

Coríu

Feb 27, 2018
Asturies

Geno

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Thessaloniki
I guess they also shadowdropped the Joker for Smash presentation. Still though I don't think those are the same as a general direct.

Oct 27, 2017
But they have done shadowdrops before. And not just for mini Directs.

History suggests this is a real possibility.

I don't think they've shadowdropped a full-scale direct before. They know that a 1st party / 3rd party, 'future plans' oriented direct is worlds apart from a mini or game-specific direct in terms of importance and more people care, especially now that everyone is in dire need of updates after the last one happened in September and there's no concrete schedule for the rest of the year. Every time a big-time direct is about to happen, all three major region Nintendo twitter accounts tweet it out. Why would it be different this time? Twitch and youtube issues is people spitballing, nobody knows the actual reason for the delay (if there is one).

Again, nobody can say with 100% certainty that a shadowdrop will not happen, until tomorrow goes away. But it feels like such a stretch I would be actually surprised if it ever happened.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
How do premieres on YouTube work? Can you watch whichever part of the video you want or do you have to watch at the same spot everyone else is at?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The point is they've never done that for a General Direct........ever.

They've also never not had a general direct or equivalent live presentation in Q1, ever.

There's a first time for everything.

Tell me why does a shadow drop makes sense then?

I've explained it about a bazillion times in this thread. It removes the risk associated with doing a live stream on platforms that are currently extremely unstable due to increased traffic from COVID-19.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
How do premieres on YouTube work? Can you watch whichever part of the video you want or do you have to watch at the same spot everyone else is at?
You can't skip ahead during a premiere, yeah. If Nintendo choose to release a Direct on short-notice that way (which I very much doubt, mind you) people would still be forced to watch it as if it were a livestream.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a firm believer of patterns but even I realize there is no major reason why they chose the normal 32 hours between announcement and Direct. At least no reason that is so important that they can't change it to suit the current situation at any time.

All signs point to it still happening tomorrow, when/if it's announced beforehand is not terribly important.

jimmer kripper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
RGT just said if there's no direct tomorrow then some companies are gonna be confused. Very interesting

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Any changes to a direct would also include telling all invoked third parties. You don't change something and never tell your partners.

Even changes to when it's announced? Presumably these companies are under NDA until the Direct airs, why is it important that they know when it will be announced?

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even changes to when it's announced? Presumably these companies are under NDA until the Direct airs, why is it important that they know when it will be announced?
If the company had press releases ready to go out or preview videos of their own. You can't just drop a direct without telling 3rd parties otherwise they'll be in a frenzy to make any necessary marketing adjustments.

jimmer kripper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
RGT definitely knows of some 3rd party stuff that are supposed to be in the direct

Status
Not open for further replies.