• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When is the next General Direct?

• This Week

Votes: 230 14.0%
  • Next Week

Votes: 557 34.0%
  • April

Votes: 192 11.7%
  • Never

Votes: 419 25.6%
  • OT8

Votes: 241 14.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
It could be announced tomorrow morning for the afternoon still. Maybe Nintendo doesn't feel the need to announce it 32 hours out since most people are quarantined at home. I still don't see it being shadowdropped.

Or plans changed.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread...
uMHUmtV.gif

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Well they just tweeted again. Do they normally tweet this late? And they always tweet on the hour. Wtf?

JetstreamRorschach

One Winged Slayer
Dec 30, 2017
Zaragoza, Spain.
The first two MUA3 expansions went live 00-03 AM CET. If the third one, the most important one which features new story content isn't up by today's morning (Europe) it could be a shadowdrop after a trailer in the Direct.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I think he knows about multiple games from different sources that are in this supposed direct. One might assume those people would be in the know about a direct being delayed

Oct 27, 2017
They're not going to drop an entire damn direct unannounced. This doesn't sound like Nintendo at all.

Just let it go. Even if the sources were legit it's more probable that it got pushed back because reasons. It's more than likely that some kind of announcement will come soon and we'll get our direct eventually

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
As of yesterday, the dude heard from three sources it was happening. So.

Yeah and the fact that it's not only him that was/is confident has me pretty confident too.

If Nintendo decided last minute to scrap it they would have had to tell whatever third parties that were going to be in it, and I don't see any way that would have happened today when those people were expecting it tomorrow.

Like, what is the latest they could possibly decide to delay/cancel the Direct without massively pissing off the third party studios/publishers who have announcements in the Direct?

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Generally, indictments of character or life experience delivered in response to silly forum memes are either the result of someone getting heated or someone being rude. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt in that regard.

And it's hardly "discrediting sources," it's only meant to be a humorous acknowledgement and exaggeration of the way that journalists will swear up and down that something is happening, only for it not to pan out. Comedy is rooted in exaggeration, so the natural quip in response to Grubb's unprecedented confidence is to muse upon the comedic situation in which his confidence only increases until it is proven false by time.

I'm pretty disappointed that you would go on the offensive so quickly. I thought we were re-entering the relatively chill, shitpost-y state of the thread, but I guess I failed to read the room on that front.

You don't have to explain the "humour" in that statement to me. I'm also pretty disappointed you'd go bat for a shitty meme that's been used time and time again to mock the people that keep getting harassed every time they decide to share something with this community yet here we are.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So there's three possibilities from this:
1) The entire thing is just false and there was never going to be a 26th Direct
2) The Direct is releasing tomorrow via shadowdrop
3) Nintendo decided to delay the Direct without properly informing its 3rd party partners
It also could very well have been delayed even after he heard from his sources yesterday. I mean, there's a global pandemic going on. That can easily cause plans to heavily change for a lot of the developers who would have announcements in this Direct.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
This is a potentially the case but if it were then why would he be doubling down so significantly on this? It's not like he just posted that article a week ago and left it there; he's actively saying that it's still happening as if he has no doubt about it.

It's possible he hasn't received any updates from his sources. I have no doubt he received information that was credible...at one time.

Deleted member 51982

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
ERSB also claims that Nintendo published Skyrim on Switch, along with Doom. We know for a fact that they were just the distributor, given that neither of these games were listed as a published title on Nintendo's earnings releases. It is the same case for NMH. I guess as part of their distribution deal, Nintendo has submitted the games to the ratings agency for Grasshopper. But Grasshopper is the one publishing it nonetheless; you won't see this turn up on Nintendo's first party release schedules. I don't expect Marvelous will have any involvement other than giving Grasshopper their blessing, and like TSA I don't expect any physical copy to release in Japan.
I see, I was mostly working from the Australian listings as they had the most detailed breakdown by Dev / Pub / Applicant. I thought it might have had to do something with distribution, but a search on the PEGI website for some of the other titles Nintendo distributed were under their respective publisher names. You're right that the earnings releases would be the definitive place to look. I had completely forgotten about those.

However, we do know Marvelous is involved to some degree as the official website is hosted on the marv.jp domain and they put out a statement for release around the TGA trailer for NMHIII's 2020 release. The only way I see them not publishing the Switch version in Japan is if they're publishing the potential PS4/PC versions and they'll all share the same website like TSA, although I imagine the PS4 physical run axed this time around.

That said while Nintendo isn't publishing like they are with BD2, I don't think it'd be right to lump NMH in with other 3rd party games. We know that Nintendo requested changes to some of the cutscenes in TSA and it received plenty of Nintendo content and I think it's safe to say that III is going to see a larger marketing push from them. I'd wager Nintendo wants it to fill that similar stylish action game that Astral Chain did last year.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Considering the harker post of "the one I know" and the investor meeting ... it has to be in april, right ?

Or else he would not have heard and the investors would be in the dark ....

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Part of the issue of a shadowdrop is that it's gonna validate the crazy lengths we've gone so far.

You think today was bad imagine how it'll be when a Direct could happen *anytime*.

Mar 2, 2020
Brazil
Well they just tweeted again. Do they normally tweet this late? And they always tweet on the hour. Wtf?

Almost had a heart attack thinking it was a direct announcement lol.
But goddamn
Tweeting late and at non-o'clock hours.
We can't rule out the possibility of them announcing the Direct late at night today(like the announcement of the NX trailer) or announcing the Direct tomorrow morning for tomorrow afternoon or night.

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
If they don't have a Direct due to the virus impacting the marketing team, maybe they'll just have everything announced in tweets without warning.

Be prepared for "Out of fucking nowhere!!" posts on era all day when it happens.

HumanCentiPad

Mar 17, 2020
I've never touched on this year's holiday lineup.

I'm now of the belief of two possibilities: it has, in fact, been delayed; or they are doing a shadow drop.
Oh boy, I was hoping you were still certain. The apocalypse is upon us. March madness ensues.
Think of all the global bandwidth transmitted over Amazon's and Google's servers in a given day.

What percentage of a given day's total bandwidth across all of those servers would a livestreamed Nintendo Direct make up?

0.1%?
Point in case is that Twitch, Youtube and pretty much any other streaming service out there has had problems or took precautions because of the crisis. So I could see Nintendo being sensible to that, as it is to their best interest that we watch the Direct on the highest quality possible and without crashing the streams

Also, it's our only chance for a March Direct now, so leave me to my confirmation bias

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I don't really like to sit here and theorize over something we have basically no concrete information about, but since I'm here anyway:

Is it possible this isn't a Direct at all, but some sort of new kind of video presentation? Similar to how Indie Worlds were spun off into their own thing instead of being "Nindies Directs." Perhaps a video showcase focusing on 3rd Parties or something like that?

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
You don't have to explain the "humour" in that statement to me. I'm also pretty disappointed you'd go bat for a shitty meme that's been used time and time again to mock the people that keep getting harassed every time they decide to share something with this community yet here we are.
I don't think the "mockery" is that severe or serious, but I've been wrong in my perception of insider etiquette before. I'll reconsider my jokes

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Will be funny if they just randomly drop is that most nintendo fans will take a while to see because they will be all playing animal crossing xD

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I hope Jeff isn't going to learn the hard way that the Nintendo "insider" ecosystem is made up of a lot of people who don't actually have any sources of their own, only people they take to who might have sources, and sometimes rumours or "leaks" spread around and make it sound like they're coming from multiple people but actually only came from one and ended up doing the rounds as everyone talked.

Status
Not open for further replies.