• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When is the next General Direct?

• This Week

Votes: 230 14.0%
  • Next Week

Votes: 557 34.0%
  • April

Votes: 192 11.7%
  • Never

Votes: 419 25.6%
  • OT8

Votes: 241 14.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I'll give it the day, but if there's nothing, yeah COVID-19 messed shit up internally. I do remember when people said that a month ago and were deemed silly. Not so silly anymore!

I just don't see the point of the Mini. Feels like too wide a gap needs to be filled for only 18-20 minutes of announcements. Who knows.
To be fair, I don't think Covid-19 had disrupted Nintendo's marketing plans a month ago. The global situation has deteriorated rapidly in that one month. Nintendo clearly had a marketing strategy in place for January and February and they followed it. Given the Indies World broadcast last week and the Lego announcement this month, they're still continuing with announcements.

But we are at the point were the rest of Nintendo's 2020 plans are in doubt, absolutely, and that affects whatever general Direct they put out. Everything from Glastonbury to the Olympics to major movie releases are being pushed back by months or a full year. It'd be foolish not to expect that to hit the gaming industry. Nintendo might have summer releases delayed into autumn, for example, to help compensate for delays to products currently in development but which are further from release. They might decide to concentrate on digital content in the early summer while retailers are closed in many countries.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Next time...

When do companies do the end of year financial stuff as we should get some hint there

Plum

May 31, 2018
At this point, we have to accept that eventually, games will come. It might take a year, but Nintendo will eventually release games again.

Video games aren't important right now. Stay safe everybody.

Video games aren't important in the grand scheme of things but policing people so they have to just stop caring about anything but COVID-19 is, quite frankly, ridiculous. It's not a moral failing to not dedicate 100% of one's time to something that has induced massive stress and anxiety in a lot of people.

Right now it's up to Nintendo to be transparent about whether COVID-19 has affected their plans. Keeping silent about it, especially when many other companies aren't doing so, is their problem and not ours.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
There's almost certainly been major disruptions in both development & localization (and maybe production of carts) with everything going on.

Game announcements/releases will come when they're ready.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It depends. What if they announce it at the same time as the Animal Crossing Direct, i.e. 11:00 PM CET / 07:00 JPT? They already broke so many patterns, what's one more.
If that pattern were to hold true here, the Direct would go out on a Saturday morning Japan time, outside of Nintendo's business hours. It's not a massive swing to suggest that that isn't happening.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It depends. What if they announce it at the same time as the Animal Crossing Direct, i.e. 11:00 PM CET / 07:00 JPT? They already broke so many patterns, what's one more.

Those patterns didn't exist for game specific Directs.

They actually haven't yet broken a pattern for General Directs, though after March they will have either broken the "first half of the month" pattern or the "Direct in every Q1" pattern.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, who are you? Why is anything you say of relevance? A guy on the internet doesn't need a reputation.

But anyway, that's Serkan Toto, he's a well-respected industry analyst, if that's what you wanted to hear.

Well im secretofmateria, its nice to meet you! I mean people on this website have a habbit of posting other peoples tweets without any context...if i knew who these people were then i might be able to understand why that tweet was significant or relavent to the topic at hand. Now i know who he is, so thanks.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
If that pattern were to hold true here, the Direct would go out on a Saturday morning Japan time, outside of Nintendo's business hours. It's not a massive swing to suggest that that isn't happening.

I'm not saying the announcement-to-airing time period will be the same (40 hours), just the announcement timing, which would be exactly 24 hours before its supposed airing.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, who are you? Why is anything you say of relevance? A guy on the internet doesn't need a reputation.

But anyway, that's Serkan Toto, he's a well-respected industry analyst, if that's what you wanted to hear.

Sometimes I wonder if people in this thread are living under a rock otherwise I can't explain all the "who" questions. I mean I don't know every person on this planet either but someone who frequents this site often should be familiar with Dr. Serkan Toto. And even if you don't know him you can always check that person's bio on Twitter lol.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
No announcement ? Ha, bummer, could have used a direct these days, a little bit of surprises could be welcome in the groundhog days of confinement...
:(

Hopefully next week !

jdh96

One Winged Slayer
Jan 25, 2020
Going to bed, look forward to waking up and finding out the Direct got announced and that the people panicking and being all doom and gloom look silly now.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Did everyone change their answers in the poll? What's the big deal? It's okay to be wrong lol

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying the announcement-to-airing time period will be the same (40 hours), just the announcement timing, which would be exactly 24 hours before its supposed airing.
I don't think it's likely that Nintendo will give that little wind-up to a full-blown Direct, personally. I might be wrong, but I suspect I'm not.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
So, do you guys think Xenoblade DE did get a delay, following what's happening worldwide.
Analysts expect a tons of delay after all.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
BTW one of the leakers who has talked about tomorrow multiple times (Pokekalos) said yesterday the announcement date was unknown (not the usual) and could be announced as late as 8pm (France time).

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
Video games aren't important in the grand scheme of things but policing people so they have to just stop caring about anything but COVID-19 is, quite frankly, ridiculous. It's not a moral failing to not dedicate 100% of one's time to something that has induced massive stress and anxiety in a lot of people.
Thank you!

So sick of this attitude going around that's it's wrong to care about stuff other than the virus. We're already trappeded at home and washing our hands so it's not really healthy to just be single mindedly obsessed with something we can't control I don't think?

Geno

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Thessaloniki
Sometimes I wonder if people in this thread are living under a rock otherwise I can't explain all the "who" questions. I mean I don't know every person on this planet either but someone who frequents this site often should be familiar with Dr. Serkan Toto. And even if you don't know him you can always check that person's bio on Twitter lol.
Ok let's not get crazy here. Just because someone doesn't know Serkan Toto doesn't mean they're living under a rock.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

i guess im not a true g4m3r.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
In other news regarding what I've been playing while waiting for a direct.

Yugioh on Switch is pretty fun.

tho I didn't realize how much the game has changed since. I only know up to GX lol. my head hurts trying to learn everything. Wish there was a training mode where you can just play cards

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
So that's what, like 5 people telling us to wait before we assume it's not happening?

Seems like a lot of smoke.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
But who are you really?

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Two options here:
1. There's still going to be a Direct, either a shadowdropped Mini or a weird announcement time
2. The Direct planned for March 26 was internally delayed at the eleventh hour. Too many credible people are backing this, so let's not go crucifying someone if there isn't a Direct this week

Status
Not open for further replies.