• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When is the next General Direct?

• This Week

Votes: 230 14.0%
  • Next Week

Votes: 557 34.0%
  • April

Votes: 192 11.7%
  • Never

Votes: 419 25.6%
  • OT8

Votes: 241 14.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Except, ya know, play the biggest game Nintendo has released in a long time.
Listen, I love Animal Crossing and I'm obsessed with it. But this notion that EVERY Switch fan should buy and love that game because nothing is out is so bullish. There are people that are allowed to not like AC and be upset that Nintendo isn't talking about ANYTHING else from their first party April onward.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No more Directs, then. Sorry not sorry!

source.gif

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
This is only made worse by the fact that hundreds of thousands , if not millions and millions, of their fans are sitting at home bored with not much to do.
That's probably the key issue many have, yeah. I mean, I want one, too, exactly because of this. I'm fucking bored. I play Monster Hunter World pretty much all day long and haven't used my Switch a lot since ... end of february, I think, since beating Fire Emblem Three Houses twice. Played the Trials of Mana Demo, which I don't like on Switch, for around 5 hours, but aside from that, the platform is pretty unappealing right now to be completely honest.

Not that that really changes anything, I'll still buy XenoblaDE et al whenever we hear about them coming out, but I can't say I like the idea of waiting so long for Nintendo to announce something new again.

Kane

Oct 28, 2017
How can a complany as successful as Nintendo in the gaming world, one of the 3 main players on the market be dead silent for so long on their upcoming lineup?
I really don't get it and I think that they are being disrespectful as fuck to their loyal fans.

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
How can a complany as successful as Nintendo in the gaming world, one of the 3 main players on the market be dead silent for so long on their upcoming lineup?
I really don't get it and I think that they are being disrespectful as fuck to their loyal fans.

AC sold over 1,8M copies on the first day, and the Switch sold ~400k units. Why should they do any other marketing?
Guess this was the plan always, and April will start the new financial year with a direct.

Nelthar

Jan 14, 2020
Will Jeff Grubb be our Saviour? Or is he just feeding us false hope and try to calm us down so we wont burn this whole place down?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
maybe you shouldn't have made one up. Dont expect people to leave you alone when you put out an article like that then fail to show receipts. People shouldnt be harassing him, but asking him about it is reasonable.

Do you seriously believe he made one up?

No good journalist will expose their source by completely laying out the nature of that source. That's an absurd expectation.

Listen, I love Animal Crossing and I'm obsessed with it. But this notion that EVERY Switch fan should buy and love that game because nothing is out is so bullish. There are people that are allowed to not like AC and be upset that Nintendo isn't talking about ANYTHING else from their first party April onward.

Yeah I was mainly joking. I have no interest in AC. I have a ton of stuff to play right now though so I'm not too unhappy about a lack of a Direct (outside of being upset for this community).

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a specific piece of information that has everyone convinced of no Direct his week or is it still yarn on a cork board theories of madness

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
I think the Venturebeat article said that the Nintendo Japan playlist for Directs was updated last week and I think Zhuge retweeted what Venturebeat had reported on. So either its getting announced later or some last minute changes occurred lol

Oct 27, 2017

I don't follow Sony nor Microsoft as much (bc I don't own a PS4 nor Xone). Have they been more vocal about their 2020 lineup?

May 21, 2019
I think the Venturebeat article said that the Nintendo Japan playlist for Directs was updated last week and I think Zhuge retweeted what Venturebeat had reported on. So either its getting announced later or some last minute changes occurred lol

Zhuge already said he didn't retweet it as a confirmation. So the retweet didn't mean anything.

Jaime.GGG

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't mind a Nintendo Direct without any release dates (thanks to the coronavirus) I just want to see some new games.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
If it doesnt happen at 11, it could happen tonight like the AC announcement. And if it doesnt happen at all, people legit need to stop freaking out. Things will be ok.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just going to say what every single person in this thread already knows right now. This is going to be a very bad year for the Switch.

The first year of the Switch was an anomaly and each year since then has just been a slow slide back to normal. Combining all development resources hasn't really changed much because they've directed resources towards mobile and random projects like Labo and Fitness Adventures.

It would be wise to just lower expectations going forward. We're back to normal Nintendo. Big gaps between big first party releases.
Assuming they announce nothing until E3 youd be right, maybe, but we've had releases including 2 this month

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Last Friday Nintendo released their best-reviewed first party game since ... what? Smash Ultimate? And indications are that it's currently breaking sales records everywhere. So this sentence seems pretty presumptuous even if, say, there are no games until July (which I don't think will be the case).

The first year was exceptional, but 2019 had more major new first party releases than 2018, so this claim doesn't really make sense. If anything, maybe we're looking at a cycle with one "on" year following by an "off" year (carried mostly by ports with a couple of new holiday titles). But even saying that is pretty speculative. There definitely hasn't been any cinsistent "slow slide" though.

RingFit Adventure reviewed well and has been a big sales success. Seems like resources well spent. (Obviously that's not so true of Labo.) Also, last fall was stuffed with first party games, so the argument that the occassional "blue ocean" project is have a major impact on Nintendo's release schedule is hugely questionable.

We got two first party titles this month.
I'm happy you're happy with Animal Crossing, and I never said Ring Fit Adventure wasn't well made. If you're content with Nintendo's first party output I'm happy for you.

"Most people" are also making Animal Crossing, the game released in this Q1, the biggest Switch title ever, making by your own logic this Q1 a great one.
So you're really going to argue getting Animal Crossing is equal to BOTW, MK8D, ARMS, and Splatoon 2? All of those games came out in the first 5 months after the Switch launch.

Yzec

Dec 11, 2019
Belgium
If the really weird GTA6 rumour is true in 5 minutes (it won't) and we get a Direct announcement later today, it would be rdr2/switch reveal all over again !

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Zhuge already said he didn't retweet it as a confirmation. So the retweet didn't mean anything.

Oh damn. Nvm then.
Well...it is really odd Nintendo has been so silent about their games especially when Xbox has been open about their next gen plans and Sony has been pretty open about their games like Ghost of Tsushima and FF7 Remake along with some long awaited details on PS5

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I'm wondering a Mini Direct is on the cards. Nintendo and other publishers probably have plans in place for releases in May, June, July (I don't think we're getting an April retail title, though I've thought that for a while). A Mini which announces those titles, with a request for patience for the rest of 2020 might happen. Projects due for the next few months are likely either finished or nearly-finished, while anything further out will be up in the air.

I guess the issue here are physical sales, but currently, in the UK at least, delivery services and online videogame retailers are currently operating, with some slight delays to delivery. Nintendo (and others) always have the option to simply launch products as best they can - digitally on the eShop with physical stock selling through their own website and through other online retailers for delivery - but there are a lot of moving parts from here on out that are going to be disrupted.

That starts at the development end for products due later this year, but physical supply chains are also going to be disrupted. Getting consumer electronics to market on time will hardly be the priority of any government, after all, and the more people that get sick, the more of us need to take time off work. That includes people in warehouses and couriers etc who would keep these supply chains going.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
It'll be announced in 7 hours.

And if it doesnt its a mini direct airing tomorrow.

And if that doesnt happen, then we can accept it isnt happening.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A Direct now would only overshadow the upcoming Bunny Day event in Animal Crossing.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Assuming they announce nothing until E3 youd be right, maybe, but we've had releases including 2 this month
There is no need to prop up these tiny side projects and ports. Animal Crossing does not make a good first half of the year in most people eyes. The first 6 months of the Switch launch included BOTW, MK8D, ARMS, and Splatoon 2. The output since that year has dropped off considerably.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
I don't follow Sony nor Microsoft as much (bc I don't own a PS4 nor Xone). Have they been more vocal about their 2020 lineup?
no.

both of them are in a game of chicken to announce their next consoles but its not like there has been a glut of information on the their ends either. People were expecting a PS5 blowout in February...never came lol.

There are legit very few games I am looking forward to beyond FF7R release (maybe Cyberpunk...but I bounced off of the Witcher soooo). It sucks but its not the end of the world either. With Nioh 2, AC and then P5R and then FF7R...I should be straight for a good while...so not getting new announcements is not the worst thing ever either. I know money is tight for many but if you are truly feeling the burn then maybe yall need to find another hobby or diversify your bonds...er gaming taste.

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
To all of you who are saying it will be announced like AC Direct:
AC Direct was announced on Tusday and aired on Thursday
If it would be announced like AC Direct that will be exactly 24hours before actual Direct happening. That's too late imo, keep in mind it's always about 32hours before.

Status
Not open for further replies.