• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would upset you most about an upcoming Direct?

• More Wii U ports

Votes: 290 18.8%
  • No Breath of the Wild 2

Votes: 565 36.7%
  • No Smash

Votes: 473 30.7%
  • Yes Smash

Votes: 302 19.6%
  • Heavy third party focus

Votes: 347 22.5%
  • No new games until June

Votes: 213 13.8%
  • Other

Votes: 76 4.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting seeing all these psoitive reactions to Arlo here.
A few weeks/months ago people talked about how much they disliked him and that he is to gamecube centric, in here.

Idk what's wrong with being GameCube centric. That's odd. I mean we all have different tastes. I love me some GameCube games. I don't always agree with Arlo, but I do love his stance on Paper Mario!

SpookyTango

Mar 1, 2020
Lol there most certainly will not be a nintendo direct any time soon with this pandemic. And i think any new nintendo games this year wont come out until september at the earliest...and thats only if things have normalized somewhat.

I'm not sure how software releases will be effected, but I think people should be prepared for the possibility of the general direct being held off for a few months. If software is ready for April-June, they could just drop a tweet/trailer for it, and they may be digital only releases for the moment. Otherwise, the next 11 days are not going getting any better for the world, outside of China, at least, and a general direct may not be the most appropriate or timely thing at that point.

It should be taken in stride during unique circumstances like these that a lot of luxuries and entertainments will need to be curtailed to certain extents.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure how software releases will be effected, but I think people should be prepared for the possibility of the general direct being held off for a few months. If software is ready for April-June, they could just drop a tweet/trailer for it, and they may be digital only releases for the moment. Otherwise, the next 11 days are not going getting any better for the world, outside of China, at least, and a general direct may not be the most appropriate or timely thing at that point.

It should be taken in stride during unique circumstances like these that a lot of luxuries and entertainments will need to be curtailed to certain extents.
The only thing I can see that will delay a direct even further is if their software planning is falling behind projections. Since there is a chance that the whole world will go in lockdown video game sales will explode. People want games in these times.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Nice, i've finished TMS.
Overall it a was a pretty good game; nothing spectacular, but a nice experience non-the less.
Story was pretty lacking, but the fun and fluid gameplay was great; so time just kind of flowed by.
The songs were also pretty good, though the regular soundtrack that plays during gameplay though is... mediocre tbh
A-Ok

Anyway, i'll probably move onto Spyro 2 next, or alternatively that DLC pack for Daemon x Machina.
No more JRPGs till Trials of Mana though, I can only stomach so much weebery.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Idk what's wrong with being GameCube centric. That's odd. I mean we all have different tastes. I love me some GameCube games. I don't always agree with Arlo, but I do love his stance on Paper Mario!
There is nothing inherently wrong with being a Game Cube centric, but the attitude of "everything before was better" and his little capacity to evolve limits him.

Also, his ability to reason many times is totally absurd.

He seems to live in a state of eternal melancholic sadness and that is the last thing I want to see in a youtuber, tbh.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
The only thing I can see that will delay a direct even further is if their software planning is falling behind projections. Since there is a chance that the whole world will go in lockdown video game sales will explode. People want games in these times.
Yeah I really don't see any way Nintendo delays anything unless they absolutely have to, digital sales are booming during lockdowns. It would take some pretty extreme circumstances (more than we're in now) for that to happen.

I don't think the Direct will be delayed, if games in it have had dates bumped back then they'll just leave the release date more vague, that's all.

People need to clamp down on the doom and gloom a bit. I know it's a bad situation all around right now, but we don't need to go inventing new ways for it to be worse without real evidence or reason just yet.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I could be way wrong, but if I had to bet, I think Nintendo and Sony are going to be delaying any announcements. It's a little discordant with the tone of what the world is trying to deal with at the moment. At least until we get the word across that most people should be in lock down. We're currently in a point of transition. If we were mostly coasting in isolation for weeks and everybody finding their groove working from home and adjusting lifestyle (basically getting to relax a bit in a "new normal" kind of way) then sure.

Again, that's just my guess.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
This week is going to be very chaotic and would be a bad idea, but I think the next week people will be more in the mood for it.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
There is nothing inherently wrong with being a Game Cube centric, but the attitude of "everything before was better" and his little capacity to evolve limits him.

Also, his ability to reason many times is totally absurd.

He seems to live in a state of eternal melancholic sadness and that is the last thing I want to see in a youtuber, tbh.
what "everything before was better" on GC perspective?
from what I see from watching a good amount of his vids, there isn't an obsession of GC era nintendo

I don't see any Sunshine, Wind Waker, Star Fox Adventures, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, Kirby Air Ride, heralded by him as the peaks in their franchise that I see, or even better than their new counterparts. Pretty sure he's even said the Switch might already be his favorite Nintendo system, which definitely goes against everything was better.
GC Mario parties or Sports games definitely not heralded.
He isn't a Melee diehard and doesn't seem to care much about that weirdly large debate at all. Which usually ties into the GC thing.
I know he loves Pikmin 3 and prefers pointer controls. Not sure which pikmin is his favorite overall. Haven't heard an obsession with GC animal crossing

so yeah, I don't see it.

Metroid Prime and TTYD get talked about as being high tiers in their franchise by everyone. Due to the subsequent decline in those 2 franchises.
The GC thing hasn't made much sense to me in the past and doesn't now.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
how so? He makes high quality videos and he's pretty good at building up to an argument while being authentic and not too serious. Everything else depends on taste. It's totally fine not to agree with him, but he's a great YouTuber and video maker objectively.
I personally do not think that his videos arehigh quality or that their arguments are reasoned. Many times he says things that for him I suppose will make sense but lack all logic.

MusicProposition

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
what "everything before was better" on GC perspective?
from what I see from watching a good amount of his vids, there isn't an obsession of GC era nintendo

I don't see any Sunshine, Wind Waker, Star Fox Adventures, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, Kirby Air Ride, heralded by him as the peaks in their franchise that I see, or even better than their new counterparts. Pretty sure he's even said the Switch might already be his favorite Nintendo system, which definitely goes against everything was better.
GC Mario parties or Sports games definitely not heralded.
He isn't a Melee diehard and doesn't seem to care much about that weirdly large debate at all. Which usually ties into the GC thing.
I know he loves Pikmin 3 and prefers pointer controls. Not sure which pikmin is his favorite overall. Haven't heard an obsession with GC animal crossing

so yeah, I don't see it.

Metroid Prime and TTYD get talked about as being high tiers in their franchise by everyone. Due to the subsequent decline in those 2 franchises.
The GC thing hasn't made much sense to me in the past and doesn't now.
This is very true! And even if he was PURELY gamecube-centric...he's still a great content producer

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is it? People need entertainment while they're stuck at home.

Like I said, that would make sense once we're out of transition. We've still got people in bars and restaurants thinking it's totally fine. They need to be at home. We're in a point of transition. If we settle into a "new normal" at home, then yeah at that point it's time for us to make the best of it. That could take weeks or maybe even months to get there.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for my negativety, everything has sucked so far this year. So its hard for me to be anything but pessimistic then hopefully pleasantly surprised by something. Honest question though, how are nintendo based youtubers faring during this information drought? I assume they get a lot of views when nintendo announces something but when nintendo is quiet for this long, it has to hurt revenue somewhere along the way.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
There will be shadow drops. Right now all I care for shadow drops. April is such a dry month.

I'm beginning to suspect that if April was planned for a game like LABO or RingFit (extremely short marketing cycle, can't be digitally distributed) they may have delayed it.

Arlo is really bad at Smash predictions

not a value judgment, just a factual statement
He is very bad in predictions, not just Smash. Sometimes it seems like he doesn't have much knowledge about Nintendo.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
This is very true! And even if he was PURELY gamecube-centric...he's still a great content producer
yeah
i mean, he does get stuff wrong. Most people ITT probably know more about Nintendo history and current events. Well, we definitely do tbh.
the vid today I say got the smash release month wrong, and a few other direct Details.
His vids have a good editor, and he's definitely funny and comedic. Entertainment is his main business before Nintendo historian, and he's successful at it.

but some of the complaints here I usually see made no sense, so I called it out, specifically the weird GC one. Liking or disliking him in general is fine.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Not an Arlo fan. He just rambles too much and isn't funny to me. His opening and ending skits particularly hurt me because I know they are supposed to be comedic.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
If we don´t have a Direct this week or the following I am gonna be really pissed obviousy, but I would get it. Things are getting serious.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for my negativety, everything has sucked so far this year. So its hard for me to be anything but pessimistic then hopefully pleasantly surprised by something. Honest question though, how are nintendo based youtubers faring during this information drought? I assume they get a lot of views when nintendo announces something but when nintendo is quiet for this long, it has to hurt revenue somewhere along the way.
I don't think most people care about the transition. It's more about preventing the virus from spreading exponentially and I think people are aware of that. That means staying home as much as possible and finding alternative ways of entertainment. Its a good time to introduce some new video games.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
There will be shadow drops. Right now all I care for shadow drops. April is such a dry month.
its no nintendo news, but April is getting two bombs in the form of FFVIIR and RE3 , plus DOOMMETERNAL next week 🤭
I actually feel a little bad those games launces might be affected negaticely if people cant leave their homes safely

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
It's not just the production of the games that could cause delays, it's the fact they will be unable to sell the games physically due to distribution problems and retailers closing doors.

The question now really should be, will Nintendo cut their losses on the physical and start to announce digital only (for the time being/at least 3 months) starting with the likes of Pikmin 3, MPT and Mario 3D World.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It's not just the production of the games that could cause delays, it's the fact they will be unable to sell the games physically due to distribution problems and retailers closing doors.

The question now really should be, will Nintendo cut their losses on the physical and start to announce digital only (for the time being/at least 3 months) starting with the likes of Pikmin 3, MPT and Mario 3D World.
That would extremely damage its relationship with retailers.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017

We're past that phase and I think Nintendo did delay the direct because of production problems but China has the situation under control now and factories are going into full production again. I don't think distribution will be a problem and while I think that physical will drop hard because of lock downs and people not going out, digital will rise proportionally and is more profitable for game makers.

MusicProposition

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
Not an Arlo fan. He just rambles too much and isn't funny to me. His opening and ending skits particularly hurt me because I know they are supposed to be comedic.
This is something I can totally understand. Saying that your humor doesnt match is a legitimate opinion. I just find it weird when people (nintendo fans) say they hate him because of things like his taste in video games or his constructive criticism against Nintendo.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Its good for digital sales and streaming, but bad for physical sales people will want to play FINAL FANTASY VII but not download 100+GB , alot of retailers will suffer with game launches in the upcoming months

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Won't Amazon and other online shops still sell games? So far I know of postal service is still running even in most countries

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
its no nintendo news, but April is getting two bombs in the form of FFVIIR and RE3 , plus DOOMMETERNAL next week 🤭
I actually feel a little bad those games launces might be affected negaticely if people cant leave their homes safely

Switch is only getting Trials of Mana and Naruto UNS4. There's also Minecraft Dungeons, but 2 weeks left for April and there's still no date. It's most likely delayed.

Trials of Mana is the big game of the month but sadly it's the only one. Compared to what we got last year for April (MK11, Hellblade, Cuphead, Darksiders, Dragon's Dogma, FF12), this year it's very disappointing.

Lintendo

Sep 11, 2018
I work in a Gaming Retail Store... and atm People are going crazy with buying Games. Next Week all our PreOrders only wants one thing.. and that is Animal Crossing and maybe Doom Eternal, it sure gonna be a hard week for us... we don't really know if they gonna shut down our store due concern of covid-19...

Last edited:

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
I work in a Gaming Retail Store... and atm People are going crazy with buying Games. Next Week all our PreOrders only wants one thing.. and that is Animal Crossing and maybe Doom Eternal, it sure gonna be a hard week for us... we don't really know if they gonna shut down our store to due concern of covid-19...
I really hope things turns out well for your store.

Lintendo

Sep 11, 2018
I really hope things turns out well for your store.

Yeah I hope so as well... I mean the last week has been... a good week in terms of Sales tbh... not only Games but also Magic the Gathering Card and stuff... but yeah still afraid that (Switzerland) will shut down all stores besides grocery store, farmacy and so on...

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
I think most of the "Arlo hate" comes from a defensive reaction to the negative opinions he has shared in the past.

His Paper Mario ones are the most famous (And he even acknowledges that sadly those are some of his more popular videos), but his reactions to Pokemon and the september direct also stoked the flames of the community quite a bit.

I do like Arlo, even if he tends to ramble for quite a while about certain topics. He and I share many opinions in regards to videogames and our likes (bar Xenobkade, which I adore and he doesn't mind).

I understand some of the dislikes, since you know, different people have different preferences and senses of humor. But I find the hate to be a tad exaggerated.

Status
Not open for further replies.